McDonald’s CA franchisee on new minimum wage: "The sheer scale of the impact is just breathtaking"

Because wages went up. Right now Wendy's is hiring for $13/hour to start. Wages have gone up. That IS the cause of prices going up.
No business has a single dollar that does not come from a customer. If the business has to pay out $1 more to employees, that $1 has to come from customers. Always.
No, they won't accept a little less profit. That is ridiculous, and not going to happen.

And by the way, the minimum wage has gone up. I don't understand why you would even say that, given the whole point of this thread is the effects of the $20/hour minimum wage in California, and you say the minimum wage hasn't gone up in 20 years. How do you say that, and not see how ridiculous it is?
So if the minimum wage hasn't gone up why then have prices at companies paying the minimum wage gone up?

AND

It seems someone doesn't understand the word FEDERAL.

Let me help.

DICTIONARY.COM

you're welcome.

So if the minimum wage hasn't gone up why then have prices at companies paying the minimum wage gone up?

wow? Salaries are one cost of doing business. Taxes, rent, fees, fines, equipment, insurance on an on it goes.

Last edited:
Prior to 2015, Germany had no minimum wage at all. They paid whatever the employees and employers agreed to. It worked just fine.

False. This is flat out not true.
If you believe that, then by all means increase the minimum wage in California to $50/hour or $100/hour. Or just set a minimum salary of one million a year, and based on your position it should cause massive increase in business and employment.
But don't screw over the entire country with this failed ideology.
And again it shows its ignorance.

Try looking up LABOR UNION and find why the absence of a German minimum wage was OK...TILL IT WASN'T.

Wages are not the only cost of doing business

Inflation makes potatoes snd hamburger meat cost more also

AND

It seems someone doesn't understand the word FEDERAL.

Let me help.

DICTIONARY.COM

you're welcome.

Wages going up causes prices to go up. That's period.

Now there can be other factors that might increase price other than wages, but wages universally will cause prices to go up.

The fact that the Federal minimum wage has not gone up, does not mean that wages have not gone up. So I'm not sure why you are trying to point to the Federal minimum wage, when the entire point of this thread is that the minimum wage for California has gone up, and we're looking at the effects of that.

The vast majority of the population of this country, live under a higher minimum wage than the Federal.

Actually, the steel mills starting closing down during the Far Left Regime of Jimmy "Mr. Peanut" Carter. September 1977 was Black Monday for the steel industry, and the beginning of the end for Big Labor's dominance.
Yup. An inconvenient truth Liberals refuse to acknowledge. 1983 saw the end of heavy industry in Western New York and Pennsylvania.

Just magic? You eliminated all the low-skill jobs they qualify for, but they'll find other work? What work do you think they'll find?
Yeah, they might find work outside the city or state where the minimum wage is lower.
McDonald's doesn't get any subsidies.
What happened when cotton gins replaced the manual laborers?

And those jobs will go away too.
You can't pay people more than the labor is worth. If the labor is not worth $20 hour, then they can't pay that. Those jobs will all disappear.
There won't be any low-skill no-skill jobs for them to get.
"more than the labor is worth"?

You want the job done? Figure out how to do it without government subsidies. I don't want my taxes making McDonald's payroll for them.

What was the minimum wage then?
They found employment, because there was no minimum wage to prevent them from finding jobs at a wage that their labor was worth.
If you think they would have found work, if the federal government put in place a minimum wage, you are wrong sir.

"more than the labor is worth"?

You want the job done? Figure out how to do it without government subsidies. I don't want my taxes making McDonald's payroll for them.
When I worked at Wendy's and McDonald's, and in fact every job I've had, not one required a subsidy.
No taxes of yours are going to McDonald's.
Further, if you are worried about people getting welfare payments, how much are they getting now that you eliminated their jobs so they have no income at all?

When I worked at Wendy's and McDonald's, and in fact every job I've had, not one required a subsidy.
No taxes of yours are going to McDonald's.
Further, if you are worried about people getting welfare payments, how much are they getting now that you eliminated their jobs so they have no income at all?
If mcd's is paying so little that employees need foodstamps then they are indeed receiving your tax dollars.

If mcd's is paying so little that employees need foodstamps then they are indeed receiving your tax dollars.
I was paid $4.25 an hour. I was not getting food stamps. Further, you can make $80k a year and collect food stamps.
If people are stupid enough to give out food stamps, people will find a way to collect that hand out.
That's not McDonald's fault.
And further, again... if you raise the minimum wage so that McDonald's lays off those employees... how much in food stamps are they getting now?

Actually it was the cotton harvester that ended more cotton jobs than the gin.... until it came along the balls still had to be picked by hand... now don't get turned on by that.... I'm talking cotton balls pervert....

Wages are not the only cost of doing business

Inflation makes potatoes snd hamburger meat cost more also
But according to you it's only increases in wages that cause prices to go up.

So we can agree in wages will not cause employers to layoff needed workers and competition will drive price changes.

FYI...this is called capitalism.

Wages going up causes prices to go up. That's period.

Now there can be other factors that might increase price other than wages, but wages universally will cause prices to go up.

The fact that the Federal minimum wage has not gone up, does not mean that wages have not gone up. So I'm not sure why you are trying to point to the Federal minimum wage, when the entire point of this thread is that the minimum wage for California has gone up, and we're looking at the effects of that.

The vast majority of the population of this country, live under a higher minimum wage than the Federal.
If the market price is $10 no amount of wage increase will change the market price.

Apparently basic economics wasn't covered in your education.

Forum List

Back