McDonald’s CA franchisee on new minimum wage: "The sheer scale of the impact is just breathtaking"

Why raise prices?
Why not accept a little less profit?
Which will happen if prices are raised.

The US minimum wage hasn't moved in two decades.
Still, prices went up.
Maybe labor costs aren't the real reason for price increases?
I cant answer that question because there are 10’s of thousands of store owners in california and each one has a different story to tell

In the short run thats what will happen to all of them

Meaning they will all have to absorb the extra cost

But your image of a rich, fat, ugly white owner chomping on a cigar and cracking a whip is really not typical of many owners who may only have a single outlet to support them

They will tighten the belt someplace

And most of the time it will hurt the little people you are trying to help

I cant answer that question because there are 10’s of thousands of store owners in california and each one has a different story to tell

In the short run thats what will happen to all of them

Meaning they will all have to absorb the extra cost

But your image of a rich, fat, ugly white owner chomping on a cigar and cracking a whip is really not typical of many owners who may only have a single outlet to support them

They will tighten the belt someplace

And most of the time it will hurt the little people you are trying to help

I cant answer that question because ...
You WON'T answer because the answer is uncomfortable.

Tell me this then...

remove all minimum wage laws and how much would employers pay?

Simple fact:
When the minimum wage increases, business activity increase and employment increases.
Why?
Because that extra income at the lowest level is spent buying groceries and filling similar needs which puts money in the hands of those "mom and pops" you CLAIM to be worried over and causes them to hire more people at the higher wages to cover the increased sales.

Tell me this then...

Simple fact:
When the minimum wage increases, business activity increase and employment increases.
Why?
Because that extra income at the lowest level is spent buying groceries and filling similar needs which puts money in the hands of those "mom and pops" you CLAIM to be worried over and causes them to hire more people at the higher wages to cover the increased sales.
The answer you want is marxist in nature

For the left government controls the marketplace and no one is rich or poor

I dont know

Has Biden left office yet?

And taken his open border with him?

There are millions of illegal alien/fake asylum seeker migrants roaming california

Many dont speak English and have no special skills or education

Do you plan to keep them on welfare for eternity?

If they are given green cards the natural minimum wage will be far below $20 an hour

The answer you want is marxist in nature

For the left government controls the marketplace and no one is rich or poor

I dont know

Has Biden left office yet?

And taken his open border with him?

There are millions of illegal alien/fake asylum seeker migrants roaming california

Many dont speak English and have no special skills or education

Do you plan to keep them on welfare for eternity?

If they are given green cards the natural minimum wage will be far below $20 an hour
Seems your discomfort with responding to some simple questions is causing you to forget the topic.

Why raise prices?

Still, prices went up.

not any of your business what Companies charge? If they dont do it right the people go elsewhere and the fail. You can’t t micro manage it.

notice you don’t say the same about APPL, FORD, IBM, SAMSUNG, DELL. Get out if here commee fruitcake.

They will find other work, and McDonalds will no longer receive government subsidies.
Just magic? You eliminated all the low-skill jobs they qualify for, but they'll find other work? What work do you think they'll find?
Yeah, they might find work outside the city or state where the minimum wage is lower.
McDonald's doesn't get any subsidies.

Why raise prices?

Still, prices went up.
Because wages went up. Right now Wendy's is hiring for $13/hour to start. Wages have gone up. That IS the cause of prices going up.
No business has a single dollar that does not come from a customer. If the business has to pay out $1 more to employees, that $1 has to come from customers. Always.
No, they won't accept a little less profit. That is ridiculous, and not going to happen.

And by the way, the minimum wage has gone up. I don't understand why you would even say that, given the whole point of this thread is the effects of the $20/hour minimum wage in California, and you say the minimum wage hasn't gone up in 20 years. How do you say that, and not see how ridiculous it is?

Tell me this then...

Simple fact:
Why?
Prior to 2015, Germany had no minimum wage at all. They paid whatever the employees and employers agreed to. It worked just fine.
When the minimum wage increases, business activity increase and employment increases
False. This is flat out not true.
If you believe that, then by all means increase the minimum wage in California to $50/hour or $100/hour. Or just set a minimum salary of one million a year, and based on your position it should cause massive increase in business and employment.
But don't screw over the entire country with this failed ideology.

We don't need any adult working full time for $10 per hour. Those jobs are for kids who aren't going to work hard nor should they. Leave it at a low wage and let kids who flunk out of school do those jobs. That's all emoyers want. They aren't I terested in hiring good workers.

We don't need any adult working full time for $10 per hour. Those jobs are for kids who aren't going to work hard nor should they. Leave it at a low wage and let kids who flunk out of school do those jobs. That's all emoyers want. They aren't I terested in hiring good workers.
Every employer wants a good worker. The problem is, customers are not going to pay $40 for a burger, so that the employer can hire a $50k a year quality burger flipper.

The quality of the burger isn't going to be dramatically improved by hiring an expensive burger flipper. If you think that a McDonald's quarter pounder is going to be dramatically better if you replace the high school student who flips the burger over, with a 40 year old with 20 years experience flipping over a burger, you are crazy.

Other jobs will be covered by it soon.
And those jobs will go away too.
You can't pay people more than the labor is worth. If the labor is not worth $20 hour, then they can't pay that. Those jobs will all disappear.
There won't be any low-skill no-skill jobs for them to get.

Every employer wants a good worker. The problem is, customers are not going to pay $40 for a burger, so that the employer can hire a $50k a year quality burger flipper.

The quality of the burger isn't going to be dramatically improved by hiring an expensive burger flipper. If you think that a McDonald's quarter pounder is going to be dramatically better if you replace the high school student who flips the burger over, with a 40 year old with 20 years experience flipping over a burger, you are crazy.
I agree. That being said I don't eat fast food. It's just plain bad tasting and packed full of toxins.

And those jobs will go away too.
You can't pay people more than the labor is worth. If the labor is not worth $20 hour, then they can't pay that. Those jobs will all disappear.
There won't be any low-skill no-skill jobs for them to get.
They're in a bad place either way. $10 per hour doesn't pay a single bill.

I agree. That being said I don't eat fast food. It's just plain bad tasting and packed full of toxins.
There is no evidence that fast food is full of toxins. Beef is made of beef, just like you get a store. The bread is made of bread, just like at a store. The cheese is cheese, ketchup is ketchup, and pickles are pickles. Potatoes are made of potatoes. Coke is made up of coke.

There is no evidence that fast food is full of toxins. Beef is made of beef, just like you get a store. The bread is made of bread, just like at a store. The cheese is cheese, ketchup is ketchup, and pickles are pickles. Potatoes are made of potatoes. Coke is made up of coke.
The beef has hormones and antibiotics in it. The oil from the fries is horrendous healthwise. The amount of sodium is crazy high. Coke? No way no how. The upside is that workers who provide awful service are in high demand by these places.

The beef has hormones and antibiotics in it. The oil from the fries is horrendous healthwise. The amount of sodium is crazy high. Coke? No way no how. The upside is that workers who provide awful service are in high demand by these places.
The oil is no different than the oil you would use in cooking at home.
Now you can say that you shouldn't eat fried food, great. Go to McDonald's and order the baked potato. But there is nothing more unhealthy about fried potatoes at home, and fried potatoes at McDonald's. They are both potatoes.
Sodium again is no different than salt you put on your potatoe at home. It's not any more or less.
The beef has no more hormones and antibiotics than beef you get at the store. This is mythology that it is different.
No coke for you, that's fine. But my point is, there is no difference between coke cola at the fast food joint, and the 2-liter you buy at the store.
In fact, in some cases the coke at McDonald's specifically is better, because coke buys the syrup in metal containers, that don't have a taste of being in plastic.
Regardless, my point is, this idea that food at fast food joints is toxic and corrupt. Not true. Sorry. If you buy 30 big macs, that's not the store making you fat. That's your bad choices. Don't blame the store.

not any of your business what Companies charge? If they dont do it right the people go elsewhere and the fail. You can’t t micro manage it.

notice you don’t say the same about APPL, FORD, IBM, SAMSUNG, DELL. Get out if here commee fruitcake.
Seems someone can't actually comprehend the concept of the thread.

Forum List

Back