McDonald's may be liable for worker lawsuits

Seeing McDonalds leave the US would not effect me at all. And it would probably be a nutritional benefit for the country.

I don't want to see a company run thru the ringer because of people like JoeB and his "everyone deserves a living wage" comments and then him running from the discussion.

But having people work off the clock or other violations need to be dealt with. McDonalds is VERY controlling of their franchisees. They bear some responsibility.

Everyone deserves a living wage.

That's the end of the discussion as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not sure why we are even having a discussion after that.

I have repeatedly asked you to define what a living wage is. You have not done so.

And why does everyone deserve a living wage? You have not said that they deserve to be paid what their skills ate worth. You demand that they be paid a "living wage" whether they have skills, decent work ethic, or whatever. What have they done to deserve to demand more of someone else's money?

The reason why those people "qualify" is because McDonald's doesn't pay them for shit.

And you only have a problem with 'Law and order" when law and order take the side of the working man over the rich.

"Government working for working folks! We can't have that! You can't do this to me, I'm rich!!!!"

It pays them what they are worth, probably more than what they are worth due to minimum wage laws.

You are not looking for government, you are looking for jack booted thugs to enforce your views on others. Again, please go follow your leader.

So what happens when the majority decides what they are worth.

I guess they can go out of business. Someone else will just step in and I'm totally good with that.

Seriously, fuck rich people. I'm tired of their shit and so is everyone else.

So the mob will rob the rich? lol

Look, you want this to sound all noble and "Robin Hoodish", but the simple fact is that you are demanding more money whether the employees have earned it or not.

And what about teh small businesses? Fuck them too? They can either pay the kid $20 and hour to sweep or they can go under?

The reason why those people "qualify" is because McDonald's doesn't pay them for shit.

And you only have a problem with 'Law and order" when law and order take the side of the working man over the rich.

"Government working for working folks! We can't have that! You can't do this to me, I'm rich!!!!"

It pays them what they are worth, probably more than what they are worth due to minimum wage laws.

You are not looking for government, you are looking for jack booted thugs to enforce your views on others. Again, please go follow your leader.

So what happens when the majority decides what they are worth.

I guess they can go out of business. Someone else will just step in and I'm totally good with that.

Seriously, fuck rich people. I'm tired of their shit and so is everyone else.

JoeBlow, class "warrior" and overall loser.

Go Fuck yourself with a tire iron, a rusty one.

The National Labor Relations Board's top lawyer on Tuesday determined that McDonald's (MCD) is a "joint employer,"along with thousands of independent franchise owners.

The NLRB...that's all that needs to be said right there. They're giving their SEIU buds a helping hand in the minimum wage hike fight.

Seeing McDonalds leave the US would not effect me at all. And it would probably be a nutritional benefit for the country.

I don't want to see a company run thru the ringer because of people like JoeB and his "everyone deserves a living wage" comments and then him running from the discussion.

But having people work off the clock or other violations need to be dealt with. McDonalds is VERY controlling of their franchisees. They bear some responsibility.

I agree, however flipping burgers doesn't justify $15 an hour.

I agree, however flipping burgers doesn't justify $15 an hour.

Neither does working a register with pictures of the food on it. lol

People should be paid for the work they perform...No company has the right to deny them wages due...

This I agree with. Any company that rips their employees off (not paying them for hours worked, ect) should have to pay the wages, plus interest, plus a fine big enough to sting.

[

Look, you want this to sound all noble and "Robin Hoodish", but the simple fact is that you are demanding more money whether the employees have earned it or not.

And what about teh small businesses? Fuck them too? They can either pay the kid $20 and hour to sweep or they can go under?

Or they can sweep their own damned floor. I really don't care which.

[

Or they can sweep their own damned floor. I really don't care which.

Great logic! In order to help a few union thugs you are fine with people not working? lol

I'm still waiting for you to define "living wage". If we are going to have a discussion, it would help if we all knew what the other meant.

JoeB, at least you are consistent.

You do not discuss. Every time I have seen you post about wages it amounts to the same thing. "Rich people are abusing us, we should TAKE their money". No real dialogue, just rants about "rich people". You ignore the facts of the economic situation by trying to make everyone but the rich a victim.

How about you take responsibility for YOUR own life, and expect others to do the same. I am not defending the rich. I am just calling you on your unwillingness to discuss an issue.

And finally, if you want a good income you need to have something to offer besides a warm body. People are paid because of their skills. Some are underpaid, of that there is no doubt. But these are still people with skills.

You do not discuss. Every time I have seen you post about wages it amounts to the same thing. "Rich people are abusing us, we should TAKE their money". No real dialogue, just rants about "rich people". You ignore the facts of the economic situation by trying to make everyone but the rich a victim.

How about you take responsibility for YOUR own life, and expect others to do the same. I am not defending the rich. I am just calling you on your unwillingness to discuss an issue.

And finally, if you want a good income you need to have something to offer besides a warm body. People are paid because of their skills. Some are underpaid, of that there is no doubt. But these are still people with skills.

There's nothing to talk about.

i simply have no interest in trying to reason with the wealthy or their apologists.

None whatsoever.

Nor do I care to hear their opinion of the "economy". We listened to them, we got the worst disaster in 80 years. Sit down, shut up, we don't care.

Any questions?

i simply have no interest in trying to reason with the wealthy or their apologists.

None whatsoever.

Nor do I care to hear their opinion of the "economy". We listened to them, we got the worst disaster in 80 years. Sit down, shut up, we don't care.

Any questions?

Yeah I do have a question. What is a "living wage"? You said the guys in Tampa & Sarasota were under the poverty level at $26k a year. So I have asked, and asked, and asked, what you consider a "living wage".

None whatsoever.

Any questions?

Yeah, this post pretty much proves my point.

And no, I will not sit down. I will not shut-up. And whether you and the dwindling number of union thugs care is not my concern.

[

Yeah, this post pretty much proves my point.

And no, I will not sit down. I will not shut-up. And whether you and the dwindling number of union thugs care is not my concern.

But you are already losing.

YOu are just Scalia taking a dirt nap away from a sane judiciary on labor issues.

I'm losing? LMAO!! I busted my ass and worked my way up to a decent income. No, I am not one of the dreaded rich that you hate so much. But I am quite comfortable and have a decent 401k for when I retire. My kids all graduated from college, and they are doing well.

Maybe if some of those unskilled laborers had worked a bit harder in school and gone on to college, they would have something to offer an employer that cannot be replaced by a machine.

But please enlighten me on what the judiciary will do for labor? Exempt them from the laws like they did in PA?

McDonald's may be liable for worker lawsuits

By Patrick M. Sheridan
July 29, 2014

NEW YORK (CNNMoney)
Facing a barrage of lawsuits from fast food worker groups seeking fair treatment and compensation, McDonald's could be on the verge of losing one of its main protections.

The National Labor Relations Board's top lawyer on Tuesday determined that McDonald's (MCD) is a "joint employer,"along with thousands of independent franchise owners.

The ruling, if upheld, would mean that McDonald's could be held liable for labor violations at its more than 12,000 franchisee-owned restaurants.

"McDonald's can try to hide behind its franchisees, but today's determination by the NLRB shows there's no two ways about it: The Golden Arches is an employer, plain and simple," said Micah Wissinger in a statement issued by a public relations firm representing fast food workers. Wissinger is an attorney who brought the case on behalf of McDonald's workers in New York City.

In March, McDonald's workers filed seven class-action lawsuits in New York, California and Michigan over wage theft violations. The suits allege that McDonald's has forced employees to work off the clock, not paid them overtime and struck hours off their time cards.

McDonald's has contended that franchisees operate as independent businesses and that therefore, it's not liable, but the N.L.R.B. ruling contradicts that claim. Other fast-food operators like Burger King could feel the repercussions.

The decision was hailed by low wage workers who have recently staged protests across the country seeking a $15 an hour wage.

"McDonald's clearly uses its vast powers to control franchisees in just about every way possible," Kendall Fells, organizing director of Fast Food Forward, said in a statement. "It's time the company put those same powers to work to do something about the fact that its workers are living in poverty."

<snip>

Ha..This has a snowball's chance in Florida in the middle of August.
So a couple of left wing union supports at the Dept of Labor have something crawling up their ass which they mistake for an idea..
This goes NOWHERE.

Stephanie clearly believes that it is acceptable for a business to refuse their workers overtime when it may be required, or to deduct hours from their rosters for no reason at all. Stephanie is a dumb bitch, obviously.

To note - the same thing happens here, too. No overtime when we clock off after an 8 hour maximum shift, extra hours are removed to avoid paying overtime, and we are expected to work off the clock.

All that is illegal. Stephanie would like to see it commonplace.

Then DON'T work there.....
Anyway, all this is hearsay. Anyone can make up a story and report unsubstantiated charges.
Like I said, this has no chance of going anywhere.

Stephanie clearly believes that it is acceptable for a business to refuse their workers overtime when it may be required, or to deduct hours from their rosters for no reason at all. Stephanie is a dumb bitch, obviously.

To note - the same thing happens here, too. No overtime when we clock off after an 8 hour maximum shift, extra hours are removed to avoid paying overtime, and we are expected to work off the clock.

All that is illegal. Stephanie would like to see it commonplace.

Listen up little girl, I've been working 30 more years then you have been alive... so don't come on here telling me what I would to see...If any of that you described was happening then it's up to YOU FIRST to confront your employer about and if it isn't settled then a threat of a lawsuit might make them look twice about things...
It already is illegal here to do any of that. and usually what happens if it is caught by the employee they take to labor relations...they will resolve it usually and one is, they will fine the company and compensating the employee who was injured by it all...have you sued or been sued by someone? It take a lot time and MONEY too....so guess who it won't hurt and guess who it will?
oh well, I hope this doesn't create another Utopia I mean disaster for you and people like you...good luck to you

Well, then what's your problem with this ruling, then?

McDonald's has insulated itself from the bad behavior of franchise owners by saying, "Hey, that's with the Franchise owner"... even though the Franchise owner benefits by the brand name and distribution system, etc.

So McDonald's can be held liable for bad Franchise owners now.

Sounds fair to me.

Nothing has been settled.
This goes nowhere.
Wishful thinking though...

Forum List

Back