McDonald's may be liable for worker lawsuits

McDonald's may be liable for worker lawsuits

By Patrick M. Sheridan
July 29, 2014

NEW YORK (CNNMoney)
Facing a barrage of lawsuits from fast food worker groups seeking fair treatment and compensation, McDonald's could be on the verge of losing one of its main protections.

The National Labor Relations Board's top lawyer on Tuesday determined that McDonald's (MCD) is a "joint employer,"along with thousands of independent franchise owners.

The ruling, if upheld, would mean that McDonald's could be held liable for labor violations at its more than 12,000 franchisee-owned restaurants.

"McDonald's can try to hide behind its franchisees, but today's determination by the NLRB shows there's no two ways about it: The Golden Arches is an employer, plain and simple," said Micah Wissinger in a statement issued by a public relations firm representing fast food workers. Wissinger is an attorney who brought the case on behalf of McDonald's workers in New York City.

In March, McDonald's workers filed seven class-action lawsuits in New York, California and Michigan over wage theft violations. The suits allege that McDonald's has forced employees to work off the clock, not paid them overtime and struck hours off their time cards.

McDonald's has contended that franchisees operate as independent businesses and that therefore, it's not liable, but the N.L.R.B. ruling contradicts that claim. Other fast-food operators like Burger King could feel the repercussions.

The decision was hailed by low wage workers who have recently staged protests across the country seeking a $15 an hour wage.

"McDonald's clearly uses its vast powers to control franchisees in just about every way possible," Kendall Fells, organizing director of Fast Food Forward, said in a statement. "It's time the company put those same powers to work to do something about the fact that its workers are living in poverty."

<snip>

McDonald's is responsible for a lot of shit, including the increase in obesity in the USA. I'm glad I don't have weight issues; I'm just pregnant.

Of course, Single Payer would work. It works fine in Canada, Japan, Germany, England, France, Italy and a bunch of smaller countries.

For the VA, the problem there was that you all started a war and then didn't expand the VA to accommedate a bunch of new vets.

Yes, because waiting times in the range of months for some procedures is "fine"

Joey seems to think he would go to the head of the line...

The publicity about problems in VA healthcare is accurate, but only in certain VA hospitals. Overall, the VA medical care in America is very good. The hospital where I go to for VA care is excellent. I've had numerous skin cancer surgeries (7 this year), and all have been quick and very well done. I have nothing but praise for the care I've gotten from the VA, and millions of other vets will say the same. I've talked to plenty of vets at my hospital (Alex Haley in Tampa) and none have ever said they had to wait months for a procedure.

[

People like Joe think a guy who pushes a broom for aliving should make enough to buy a house have 2 cars take expensive vacations every year and put 4 kids through college.

Why not?

Frankly, someone needs to push a broom. I don't particularly want to do it, but i think the person who does should be able to feed his family.

The slug who aspires to do nothing but push a broom isn't worth anything to an employer.

Salaries should be partially of the skills they pay for, and partially just for what is moral. That would be, at a minimum, what a person needs to be able to make a reasonable living in the area they live in, relative to prices there. A salary is a trade. The salary for 40 hours of work in a week. If you can't muster a living from it, you're underpaid.

[

People like Joe think a guy who pushes a broom for aliving should make enough to buy a house have 2 cars take expensive vacations every year and put 4 kids through college.

Why not?

Frankly, someone needs to push a broom. I don't particularly want to do it, but i think the person who does should be able to feed his family.

See now here's an example of the entitlement mentality of the typical American liberal.
You say that a person who does a menial low or no skill job should be compensated not based on his skill or production, but based on his marital status and the number of kids her decided to produce.
In fact, the system is and as it should be, it opposite.
One adjusts their lifestyle according to their means.
The employer is NOT responsible for the choices made by his employees.

He's responsible to do what is moral, as is the case with anything that anyone does. If his employee works 40 hours a week for him, he should be able to make a living from that.

[

Did he say fuck the people asking for a raise? Or did he say wait until we refurbish the plant?

And why did the union keep pressing for votes until they got their way? Obviously the workers understood. That is why they voted not to strike 4 times.

Here's the better question. Why did the fourth vote succeed when the first four failed?

Maybe because they were watching this guy buy rich man's toys for himself with company funds.

Unions oppose efficiency, productivity, merit, smart business principles, freedom of workers to decide for themselves their career paths and drive up the cost of doing business .

Whenever and wherever unions produce higher wages for their workers, they are also producing higher SALES (remember that word ?) for businesses in that community, by increasing the amount of DISPOSABLE INCOME being spent in the store. Oh joy! Nothing like running a business in a town where everyone is working for minimum wage, right ? Maybe you do one SALE a month that way.

Then you have all those businesses (car lots, furniture sales, etc) who pay their workers straight commissions. Those workers and business owners only make what they sell, and that depends on the level of DISPOSABLE INCOME in the community.

I owned a business for 12 years and I remember well asking callers how much they could pay for a down payment (for a $500 sale), and getting the response "Uh, 10 bucks"

Last edited:
OMG you are even more of an idiot than I thought.

If you can clean your own house you can clean someone else's.

And no one reads MSDS sheets. I have a couple thousand of them and the only thing they are ever used for is as an excuse for OSHA to fine someone.

You owned a business and never read the MSDS sheets? Did anyone get sick or die because of your stupidity?

More stupidity of an idiot who pretends he is a OnePercenter.

It's called being a responsible business owner.

You owned a business and never read the MSDS sheets? Did anyone get sick or die because of your stupidity?

Really? I would think as a responsible business owner, you would know before you even brought a chemical to your establishment you would know what you had. The MSDS is secondary after you purchased the product so the people that actually used it could read up on it. But most professionals in any business know what they are using and it's ramifications long before you as an owner would know. It's called being a responsible professional.

So house cleaners don't have to be trained? Do they work with chemicals and are trained in chemical safety and storage? Do they climb ladders? Do they clean carpets? Do the know what kind of cleaner for what surface? Do the know the correct way to operate a floor buffer? A carpet cleaner? A commercial vacuum? Do they know how to read an MSDS sheet, or what that is? Do YOU know what that is?

OMG you are even more of an idiot than I thought.

If you can clean your own house you can clean someone else's.

And no one reads MSDS sheets. I have a couple thousand of them and the only thing they are ever used for is as an excuse for OSHA to fine someone.

I happen to keep thousand of pages of MSDS sheets. No one is going to read them in fact OSHA does not require that anyone read them only that they know where they are.

You really don't know shit about how a business works.

Why not?

The slug who aspires to do nothing but push a broom isn't worth anything to an employer.

Salaries should be partially of the skills they pay for, and partially just for what is moral. That would be, at a minimum, what a person needs to be able to make a reasonable living in the area they live in, relative to prices there. A salary is a trade. The salary for 40 hours of work in a week. If you can't muster a living from it, you're underpaid.

Morality and pay have nothing to do with each other,

But I will argue that all pay meets your morality standard because anyone who accepts a job willingly accepts the pay. No one is forced to take a job.

Why not?

See now here's an example of the entitlement mentality of the typical American liberal.
You say that a person who does a menial low or no skill job should be compensated not based on his skill or production, but based on his marital status and the number of kids her decided to produce.
In fact, the system is and as it should be, it opposite.
One adjusts their lifestyle according to their means.
The employer is NOT responsible for the choices made by his employees.

He's responsible to do what is moral, as is the case with anything that anyone does. If his employee works 40 hours a week for him, he should be able to make a living from that.

Since when is working 40 hours supposed to be enough to support anyone?

If your skill level does not warrant enough of a wage so as to pay your bills working only 40 hours then you need to work more.

Besides no one who has ever accomplished anything worked only 40 hours a week.

But I will argue that all pay meets your morality standard because anyone who accepts a job willingly accepts the pay. No one is forced to take a job.

No, they always have the option of starving.

There are tens of thousands of ways to make money. Working for someone else is only one of them.

I can't help it if you're so small minded you can't realize thet

How many have starved?

Sent from my iPad using an Android.

How many have starved?

Sent from my iPad using an Android.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do you have wool in your eyes?[/FONT]

Hunger & Poverty Statistics

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]<snip>[/FONT]

Food Insecurity and Very Low Food Security [iv]

• In 2012, 49.0 million Americans lived in food insecure households, 33.1 million adults and 15.9 million children.
  • In 2012, 14.5 percent of households (17.6 million households) were food insecure.
  • In 2012, 5.7 percent of households (7.0 million households) experienced very low food security.
  • In 2012, households with children reported food insecurity at a significantly higher rate than those without children, 20.0 percent compared to 11.9 percent.
  • In 2012, households that had higher rates of food insecurity than the national average included households with children (20.0 percent), especially households with children headed by single women (35.4 percent) or single men (23.6 percent), Black non-Hispanic households (24.6 percent) and Hispanic households (23.3 percent).
  • In 2011, 4.8 million seniors (over age 60), or 8.4% of all seniors were food insecure. [v]
  • Food insecurity exists in every county in America, ranging from a low of 2.4 percent in Slope County, ND to a high of 35.2 percent in Holmes County, MS. [vi]
Ten states exhibited statistically significant higher household food insecurity rates than the U.S. national average 2000-2012: [vii]
United States 14.7%
Mississippi 20.9%
Arkansas 19.7%
Texas 18.4%
Alabama 17.9%
North Carolina 17.0%
Georgia 16.9%
Missouri 16.7%
Nevada 16.6%
Ohio 16.1%
California 15.6%

Use of Emergency Food Assistance and Federal Food Assistance Programs

• In 2012, 59.4 percent of food-insecure households participated in at least one of the three major Federal food assistance programs –Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (formerly Food Stamp Program), The National School Lunch Program, and the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children. [ix]
  • Feeding America provides emergency food assistance to an estimated 37 million low-income people annually, a 46 percent increase from 25 million since Hunger in America 2006.[x]
  • Among members of Feeding America, 74 percent of pantries, 65 percent of kitchens, and 54 percent of shelters reported that there had been an increase since 2006 in the number of clients who come to their emergency food program sites. [xi]

Really? I would think as a responsible business owner, you would know before you even brought a chemical to your establishment you would know what you had. The MSDS is secondary after you purchased the product so the people that actually used it could read up on it. But most professionals in any business know what they are using and it's ramifications long before you as an owner would know. It's called being a responsible professional.

Where do you think the business owners et al, got their knowledge of chemicals and chemical interactions?

Should it be the consumers responsibility to know-----to know if the proper chemicals have been used to clean the cantaloupes Americans consume?

There are tens of thousands of ways to make money. Working for someone else is only one of them.

I can't help it if you're so small minded you can't realize thet

And the people who do work for someone else should be able to make a fair living doing it.

MSDS is available online or at any retailer that you buy product. By law, you have to have MSDS sheets of all hazardous product BEFORE or accompanying the product in a commercial establishment.

Forum List

Back