Medical marijuana

Re
Perhaps if it is smoked, then the risk of cancer rises, but there are several ways (other than smoking it ) to ingest it. You're always gonna get the ' your doctor prescribed this med because he/she feels the benefits outweigh the risk...' disclaimer included in the little pamphlet that accompanies a lot of prescriptions.

One of the current meds for psoriasis is Enbrel & this is the info on side effects with that:

Enbrel Side Effects Center
Charles Patrick Davis, MD, PhD

Enbrel in Detail with Side Effects
Last reviewed on RxList 2/20/2015

Enbrel (etanercept) is a tumor necrosis factor inhibitor used to treat certain autoimmune disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis, juvenile idiopathic arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, and plaque psoriasis. There is no generic Enbrel available currently.

Side effects of Enbrel include mild nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, headache, redness or discomfort at the injection site, heartburn, weight changes, cold symptoms (cough, runny nose) and weakness.

Serious side effects
include seizures, bruising or bleeding, skin changes (rash, pustules or blisters), swelling, difficulty breathing or swallowing, paresthesia, vision changes, weakness and/or dizziness....

Warnings are given for Enbrel use; Enbrel users are at increased risk for developing serious infections that may lead to hospitalization or death and for the development of lymphoma and other malignancies and death in children and adolescent patients treated with TNF blockers, including Enbrel. Patients receiving cyclophosphamide therapy are not recommended to use Enbrel and patients should not obtain any live vaccine while taking Enbrel. There are no studies available on Enbrel use in pregnant or breastfeeding women or their infants.

Side Effects of Enbrel (Etanercept) Drug Center - RxList

Enbrel is also an immune suppressor which goes back to my first post

that in certain cases cannabis has been found to suppress the immune system

and suppressing the immune system has been known to cause cancers

Yep. But the relationship with cannabis isnt that straightforward. Immune system effects are extremely complicated.. in fact, if you 'inhibit' the immune system with a drug like ipilumumab which blocks an antigen, you actually will stimulate the action of killer -T cells (also a part of the immune system) and thus help treat cancer. Is that suppressing the immune system, or 'boosting' it? Those terms are almost meaningless, although you hear them thrown around a lot.

It is clear, though, that smoking will lead to increased cancer, but thats probably true of any burned plant material ingested into the lungs (even if its 'natural'! :) )

The point is that marijuana ingestion has many unknown toxicities and effects in disease, and medicinal use of it might well make people feel better, but it may not be doing a damn thing for the actual disease, or leading to harm.
People who smoke a pack of cigs a day get cancer. People who smoke a joint or two a day do not.
Really? Low doses of MJ are protective against cancer?

I bet certain people are going to demand references.
What do you mean protective? The risks are negligible. Low. Not so bad they should ban pot. Cell phones are just as dangerous. You want to ban those? How about microwave ovens?

I've been smoking for 25 years. If they should ban anything its cigarettes.

You said you 'don't get cancer' that infers a protective effect, since cancer is an endemic disease.

If you mean 'doesn't increase the risk for cancer', I'm afraid you'll need to produce evidence. And when you ask the guys who study cancer, they may have a different opinion.

Cannabis and Cannabinoids

Re

Yep. But the relationship with cannabis isnt that straightforward. Immune system effects are extremely complicated.. in fact, if you 'inhibit' the immune system with a drug like ipilumumab which blocks an antigen, you actually will stimulate the action of killer -T cells (also a part of the immune system) and thus help treat cancer. Is that suppressing the immune system, or 'boosting' it? Those terms are almost meaningless, although you hear them thrown around a lot.

It is clear, though, that smoking will lead to increased cancer, but thats probably true of any burned plant material ingested into the lungs (even if its 'natural'! :) )

The point is that marijuana ingestion has many unknown toxicities and effects in disease, and medicinal use of it might well make people feel better, but it may not be doing a damn thing for the actual disease, or leading to harm.
People who smoke a pack of cigs a day get cancer. People who smoke a joint or two a day do not.

What do you mean protective? The risks are negligible. Low. Not so bad they should ban pot. Cell phones are just as dangerous. You want to ban those? How about microwave ovens?

You said you 'don't get cancer' that infers a protective effect, since cancer is an endemic disease.

If you mean 'doesn't increase the risk for cancer', I'm afraid you'll need to produce evidence. And when you ask the guys who study cancer, they may have a different opinion.

A joint or two a day keeps the doc away.

And so what if they cause cancer. So do cigarettes and they are much more harmful and full of carcinogens. So ban cigs or legalize pot if that's your only argument.

Re

Until you start chemo, I guess.

Re

Until you start chemo, I guess.
Keep talking on a cellphone until you get a brain tumor.

You don't have anything, do you?

i have read that cannabis can have effects on suppressing the immune system

which may be good for things like psoriasis

but on the other hand increases the risk of certain types of cancers

Perhaps if it is smoked, then the risk of cancer rises, but there are several ways (other than smoking it ) to ingest it. You're always gonna get the ' your doctor prescribed this med because he/she feels the benefits outweigh the risk...' disclaimer included in the little pamphlet that accompanies a lot of prescriptions.

One of the current meds for psoriasis is Enbrel & this is the info on side effects with that:

Enbrel (etanercept) is a tumor necrosis factor inhibitor used to treat certain autoimmune disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis, juvenile idiopathic arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, and plaque psoriasis. There is no generic Enbrel available currently.

Side effects of Enbrel include mild nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, headache, redness or discomfort at the injection site, heartburn, weight changes, cold symptoms (cough, runny nose) and weakness.

Serious side effects
include seizures, bruising or bleeding, skin changes (rash, pustules or blisters), swelling, difficulty breathing or swallowing, paresthesia, vision changes, weakness and/or dizziness....

Warnings are given for Enbrel use; Enbrel users are at increased risk for developing serious infections that may lead to hospitalization or death and for the development of lymphoma and other malignancies and death in children and adolescent patients treated with TNF blockers, including Enbrel. Patients receiving cyclophosphamide therapy are not recommended to use Enbrel and patients should not obtain any live vaccine while taking Enbrel. There are no studies available on Enbrel use in pregnant or breastfeeding women or their infants.

get the facts pothead

Marijuana Smoke
Smoke is harmful to lung health. Whether from burning wood, tobacco or marijuana, toxins and carcinogens are released from the combustion of materials. Smoke from marijuana combustion has been shown to contain many of the same toxins, irritants and carcinogens as tobacco smoke.4-7

Beyond just what's in the smoke alone, marijuana is typically smoked differently than tobacco. Marijuana smokers tend to inhale more deeply and hold their breath longer than cigarette smokers, which leads to a greater exposure per breath to tar.8

Secondhand marijuana smoke contains many of the same toxins and carcinogens found in directly inhaled marijuana smoke, in similar amounts if not more.5 While there is no data on the health consequences of breathing secondhand marijuana smoke, there is concern that it could cause harmful health effects, especially among vulnerable children in the home. Additional research on the health effects of secondhand marijuana smoke is needed.

Marijuana and Lung Health - American Lung Association

Re

Serious side effects

why bother chronic users just believe things like that

I would like to hear about some of the wonderful benefits of alcohol. And please include the side effects.

I have a feeling if it was outlawed, people would be clamoring to get medical use for alcohol just like they are for marijuana.
You have a habit of ducking questions. You make a lot of claims but you have yet to back any of them up. When it comes right down to it, you really don't have much to contribute in the way of a credible argument.

Serious side effects

get the facts pothead

Marijuana Smoke
Smoke is harmful to lung health. Whether from burning wood, tobacco or marijuana, toxins and carcinogens are released from the combustion of materials. Smoke from marijuana combustion has been shown to contain many of the same toxins, irritants and carcinogens as tobacco smoke.4-7

Beyond just what's in the smoke alone, marijuana is typically smoked differently than tobacco. Marijuana smokers tend to inhale more deeply and hold their breath longer than cigarette smokers, which leads to a greater exposure per breath to tar.8

Secondhand marijuana smoke contains many of the same toxins and carcinogens found in directly inhaled marijuana smoke, in similar amounts if not more.5 While there is no data on the health consequences of breathing secondhand marijuana smoke, there is concern that it could cause harmful health effects, especially among vulnerable children in the home. Additional research on the health effects of secondhand marijuana smoke is needed.

Make camp fires illegal

Serious side effects

get the facts pothead

Marijuana Smoke

Make camp fires illegal

i didnt say anything about making something legal or illegal

i just dont like those that "pretend" that pot is as safe as babies milk

get the facts pothead

Marijuana Smoke

Make camp fires illegal

Not saying that. I thought about you while driving for lunch. If a person only smoked 1 or 2 cigarettes a day, they could probably live a long healthy life. That 10 minutes out of 24 hours ain't what's killing people. It's 20 cigs a day, over 10 or more years. I need to quit smoking cigs.

Of course putting smoke in your lungs isn't ideal but I'd rather limit carbon emissions and I think that would make us all a lot safer so we can afford to go out and smoke a joint once a day or night whichever you prefer. LOL

What do you think about medical marijuana? Don't you think it's strange that it's getting legalized everywhere since recently? Some years ago potheads were laughing at and now it is completely okay to smoke weed almost everywhere. Sure thing it can be used for medical purposes but it seems like things are going way too fast. It can cause schizophrenia and make people addicted in no time.
Maybe it's too early to legalize it? A question to pot smokers: how has marijuana improved your life?

All drugs should be legal, there is simply no coherent argument as to why they shouldn't be.

Name the drug that shouldn't be legal and I'll show you a meaningful % of the population that uses it anyways... Meaning making them illegal simply artificially increased prices.

Making drugs illegal has only made HC more un-accessible, thanks to Government. If you want more information on any given drug, legalize it. If you want drugs to be more affordable, legalize it.

It should never been banned for medical purposes. The decision to ban it was political in nature.
The current push for medical pot is a sideways political strategy for general usage. All these problems caused by our draconian attempts to use the police to stop pot are futile and should be stopped.

get the facts pothead

Marijuana Smoke

Make camp fires illegal

Not saying that. I thought about you while driving for lunch. If a person only smoked 1 or 2 cigarettes a day, they could probably live a long healthy life. That 10 minutes out of 24 hours ain't what's killing people. It's 20 cigs a day, over 10 or more years. I need to quit smoking cigs.

Of course putting smoke in your lungs isn't ideal but I'd rather limit carbon emissions and I think that would make us all a lot safer so we can afford to go out and smoke a joint once a day or night whichever you prefer. LOL

there are a lot of things besides smoking that contributes to lung problems

many people are genetically predisposed to certain problems

you always hear about the grannie that lived to 95 and smoked two packs a day who died of old age

or the person who never smoked that lung cancer took em out at 40

....class.....class.....SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...thank-you....

get the facts pothead

Marijuana Smoke

Make camp fires illegal

I think it's probably safer than alcohol in many ways. It is silly to make smoking a joint after work illegal but you can go out and get drunk anywhere.

get the facts pothead

Marijuana Smoke

Make camp fires illegal

I think it's probably safer than alcohol in many ways. It is silly to make smoking a joint after work illegal but you can go out and get drunk anywhere.
20 years ago I got a drunk driving and pot is how I stopped drinking.

OK I drink once a week at my poker game but that's it.

Everything in moderation.

get the facts pothead

Marijuana Smoke

Make camp fires illegal

no such thing as a safer intoxicant

Forum List

Back