Medical marijuana

You made the claim, you provide the links.

If I recall, YOU made the claim that it was 'the most researched drug in history'. Didn't see a link.
You didn't ask for one but you've made a lot of claims without one single link.

There’s Been Over 20,000 Studies On Marijuana; What Is It That Scientists ‘Do Not Yet Know?’ | NORML Blog, Marijuana Law Reform

Marijuana Backed By More Studies Than Most Pharma Drugs
Brain
You don't have anything, do you?
Besides 30 years experience in pharmacology?
And how much experimenting did you do with pharmacology?

i have read that cannabis can have effects on suppressing the immune system

which may be good for things like psoriasis

but on the other hand increases the risk of certain types of cancers
That may be, but shit, If we made everything that increases the risk of cancer illegal, the grocery stores would be full of empty shelves.
I never said make it illegal.

But let's not pretend it's some cure all medication. It's a recreational drug that can make some people feel better.

there are a couple of name brand cannabis meds approved by e government

that do help some folks during cancer treatments

That may be, but shit, If we made everything that increases the risk of cancer illegal, the grocery stores would be full of empty shelves.

But let's not pretend it's some cure all medication. It's a recreational drug that can make some people feel better.
No one claimed that.

No one claimed that.
Let's see. 'Most studied drug evah!', slows cancer! Antioxidant!

I guess it's just an ordinary wonder drug.

No one claimed that.

Show us where someone called it a wonder drug. Then post some links to your claims and some proof of your "expertise" in the field of medicine you claim you have.

They've been studying marijuana for nearly a century, (if not longer). It's the most "studied" drug in the world. Problem is, the only goals they have had until recently were to find something WRONG with it. NOW they are finding that it has many beneficial uses. Oops!

Cannabis reduces tumor growth in study

Not really. Just seeing how patients do on a drug isnt really rigorously 'studying it' and its not even close to being the 'most studied drug in the world' since most medical research on the drug has been banned for the last fifty years or so. It used to be very, very hard to do any type of study using marijuana. Now its just very hard- its still a federal Schedule 1 drug, you know.

And I wouldnt get real excited about tumor growth reductions. Those studies tend to be pretty specific about concentrations and specific compounds - what they really do is define the roles of certain receptors in tumor growth, which can be helpful.

Cannabinoids as antioxidants and neuroprotectants

Abstract

Cannabinoids have been found to have antioxidant properties, unrelated to NMDA receptor antagonism. This new found property makes cannabinoids useful in the treatment and prophylaxis of wide variety of oxidation associated diseases, such as ischemic, age-related, inflammatory and autoimmune diseases. The cannabinoids are found to have particular application as neuroprotectants, for example in limiting neurological damage following ischemic insults, such as stroke and trauma, or in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease and HIV dementia. Nonpsychoactive cannabinoids, such as cannabidoil, are particularly advantageous to use because they avoid toxicity that is encountered with psychoactive cannabinoids at high doses useful in the method of the present invention. A particular disclosed class of cannabinoids useful as neuroprotective antioxidants is formula (I) wherein the R group is independently selected from the group consisting of H, CH.sub.3, and COCH.sub.3. ##STR1##

United States Patent: 6630507

60 Peer-Reviewed Studies on Medical Marijuana
Medical Studies Involving Cannabis and Cannabis Extracts (1990 - 2014)
60 Peer-Reviewed Studies on Medical Marijuana - Medical Marijuana - ProCon.org

Clinical Studies and Case Reports
On this site you will find clinical studies with cannabis or single cannabinoids in different diseases and case reports on the use of cannabis by patients.
You may search for diseases (indications), authors, medication, study design (controlled study, open trial, case report etc.) and other criteria.

Studies and Case Reports (additional link within the website above)

Beeinflussung des Krebswachstums durch Dronabinol

So?

Antioxidants are the biggest health food scam ever, and neuroprotectant properties are simple to show in cell cultures, but consistently fail in humans. I've worked with many of them.

Antioxidants are found to be usually either worthless or harmful - and when you hear that, or 'boosts your immune system' thats the biggest red flag in the world.

Have you ever paid attention to the side effects of the drug ads on TV?
I LOVE the ones that say 'may cause death'
Give me a break...

I do more than pay attention to them. I'm involved in the language around what they say, for both safety and efficacy of the drugs. I'm a pharmacologist by training. And death is an adverse effect of many drugs. Natural products often have an increased incidence of things like death, too. They just dont have to say it on TV, so the foolish think 'natural' means 'safe'.

You seem to think that IS what I think & I NEVER said such a thing. So don't put words in my mouth. I know you'll probably not bother to go back & look--- but in post #75---what I DID say in response to the old man was:

Anathema said:

I don't believe there is any medical need for marijuana that cannot be covered by other medications. Therefore no need exists for medical marijuana.

Playtime said:

Yes, man made chemicals are always better than what occurs naturally in nature for the same ailments.

You did not see the obvious sarcasm in that reply? Perhaps if I included a little 'eyes rolling in the back of my head' emoji?

Good lord... Yes, there are dangers with SOME natural occurring substances & there sure as hell are with most, if not all, man made crap... THAT was the point I was trying to make. If there is a natural remedy that can do the job, just as well... without as much or no risk of toxic/adverse side effects... why not go with that instead?

THAT is why I mentioned Ambien/Lunesta's potential side effects... which is a much more dangerous drug used as a SLEEP AID, than taking a few hits off a joint... & also used the thalidomide/pot brownie comparison for MORNING SICKNESS.

I do hope that clears that up for you. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
You made the claim, you provide the links.

If I recall, YOU made the claim that it was 'the most researched drug in history'. Didn't see a link.

There’s Been Over 20,000 Studies On Marijuana; What Is It That Scientists ‘Do Not Yet Know?’ | NORML Blog, Marijuana Law Reform

Brain

Perhaps if it is smoked, then the risk of cancer rises, but there are several ways (other than smoking it ) to ingest it. You're always gonna get the ' your doctor prescribed this med because he/she feels the benefits outweigh the risk...' disclaimer included in the little pamphlet that accompanies a lot of prescriptions.

One of the current meds for psoriasis is Enbrel & this is the info on side effects with that:

Enbrel Side Effects Center
Charles Patrick Davis, MD, PhD

Enbrel in Detail with Side Effects
Last reviewed on RxList 2/20/2015

Enbrel (etanercept) is a tumor necrosis factor inhibitor used to treat certain autoimmune disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis, juvenile idiopathic arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, and plaque psoriasis. There is no generic Enbrel available currently.

Side effects of Enbrel include mild nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, headache, redness or discomfort at the injection site, heartburn, weight changes, cold symptoms (cough, runny nose) and weakness.

Serious side effects
include seizures, bruising or bleeding, skin changes (rash, pustules or blisters), swelling, difficulty breathing or swallowing, paresthesia, vision changes, weakness and/or dizziness....

Warnings are given for Enbrel use; Enbrel users are at increased risk for developing serious infections that may lead to hospitalization or death and for the development of lymphoma and other malignancies and death in children and adolescent patients treated with TNF blockers, including Enbrel. Patients receiving cyclophosphamide therapy are not recommended to use Enbrel and patients should not obtain any live vaccine while taking Enbrel. There are no studies available on Enbrel use in pregnant or breastfeeding women or their infants.

Side Effects of Enbrel (Etanercept) Drug Center - RxList

Last edited:
Again, a list of adverse events.

Something you won't get with marijuana, because the depth of studies haven't been done, and no labeling is required.

If one did have a list, it would be pretty extensive, and emphasize respiratory diseases and psychological disorders, both strongly associated with MJ use.
Enbrel, on the other hand, is a drug which which often restores a significant quality of life in very, very ill patients.

No one claimed that.

And yet you are concluding that we said that.

We did not.

You were wrong in that speculating.

Not really. Just seeing how patients do on a drug isnt really rigorously 'studying it' and its not even close to being the 'most studied drug in the world' since most medical research on the drug has been banned for the last fifty years or so. It used to be very, very hard to do any type of study using marijuana. Now its just very hard- its still a federal Schedule 1 drug, you know.

And I wouldnt get real excited about tumor growth reductions. Those studies tend to be pretty specific about concentrations and specific compounds - what they really do is define the roles of certain receptors in tumor growth, which can be helpful.

Cannabinoids as antioxidants and neuroprotectants

Abstract

Cannabinoids have been found to have antioxidant properties, unrelated to NMDA receptor antagonism. This new found property makes cannabinoids useful in the treatment and prophylaxis of wide variety of oxidation associated diseases, such as ischemic, age-related, inflammatory and autoimmune diseases. The cannabinoids are found to have particular application as neuroprotectants, for example in limiting neurological damage following ischemic insults, such as stroke and trauma, or in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease and HIV dementia. Nonpsychoactive cannabinoids, such as cannabidoil, are particularly advantageous to use because they avoid toxicity that is encountered with psychoactive cannabinoids at high doses useful in the method of the present invention. A particular disclosed class of cannabinoids useful as neuroprotective antioxidants is formula (I) wherein the R group is independently selected from the group consisting of H, CH.sub.3, and COCH.sub.3. ##STR1##

United States Patent: 6630507

60 Peer-Reviewed Studies on Medical Marijuana
Medical Studies Involving Cannabis and Cannabis Extracts (1990 - 2014)
60 Peer-Reviewed Studies on Medical Marijuana - Medical Marijuana - ProCon.org

On this site you will find clinical studies with cannabis or single cannabinoids in different diseases and case reports on the use of cannabis by patients.
You may search for diseases (indications), authors, medication, study design (controlled study, open trial, case report etc.) and other criteria.

Studies and Case Reports (additional link within the website above)

Beeinflussung des Krebswachstums durch Dronabinol

So?

Antioxidants are the biggest health food scam ever, and neuroprotectant properties are simple to show in cell cultures, but consistently fail in humans. I've worked with many of them.

Antioxidants are found to be usually either worthless or harmful - and when you hear that, or 'boosts your immune system' thats the biggest red flag in the world.

Have you ever paid attention to the side effects of the drug ads on TV?
I LOVE the ones that say 'may cause death'
Give me a break...

I do more than pay attention to them. I'm involved in the language around what they say, for both safety and efficacy of the drugs. I'm a pharmacologist by training. And death is an adverse effect of many drugs. Natural products often have an increased incidence of things like death, too. They just dont have to say it on TV, so the foolish think 'natural' means 'safe'.

You seem to think that IS what I think & I NEVER said such a thing. So don't put words in my mouth. I know you'll probably not bother to go back & look--- but in post #75---what I DID say in response to the old man was:

Anathema said:

I don't believe there is any medical need for marijuana that cannot be covered by other medications. Therefore no need exists for medical marijuana.

Playtime said:

Yes, man made chemicals are always better than what occurs naturally in nature for the same ailments.

You did not see the obvious sarcasm in that reply? Perhaps if I included a little 'eyes rolling in the back of my head' emoji?

Good lord... Yes, there are dangers with SOME natural occurring substances & there sure as hell are with most, if not all, man made crap... THAT was the point I was trying to make. If there is a natural remedy that can do the job, just as well... without as much or no risk of toxic/adverse side effects... why not go with that instead?

THAT is why I mentioned Ambien/Lunesta's potential side effects... which is a much more dangerous drug used as a SLEEP AID, than taking a few hits off a joint... & also used the thalidomide/pot brownie comparison for MORNING SICKNESS.

I do hope that clears that up for you. :rolleyes:
So is marijuana, or any of the substances in marihuana a teratogen in administered doses?

Can you point to the studies that clarify this, and to the appropriate dosage used for morning sickness

You can't, because we don't know.

MJ could very well be as teratogenic as thalidomide- no one, I'm sure, has ever done a controlled trial- I'm guessing this includes animal studies.

Again, a list of adverse events.

Something you won't get with marijuana, because the depth of studies haven't been done, and no labeling is required.

If one did have a list, it would be pretty extensive, and emphasize respiratory diseases and psychological disorders, both strongly associated with MJ use.
Enbrel, on the other hand, is a drug which which often restores a significant quality of life in very, very ill patients.

You haven't addressed my other post where you seem to think I said ALL natural remedies are better & how I certainly did not say that.

As far as Enbrel or Ambien or Thalidomide... there's not a lot of side effects that can be worse than cancer/death. If you want to discuss 'psychological' effects, then you must also include benzos, & SSRIs... other psychotropics like Haldol...

Brain

Perhaps if it is smoked, then the risk of cancer rises, but there are several ways (other than smoking it ) to ingest it. You're always gonna get the ' your doctor prescribed this med because he/she feels the benefits outweigh the risk...' disclaimer included in the little pamphlet that accompanies a lot of prescriptions.

One of the current meds for psoriasis is Enbrel & this is the info on side effects with that:

Enbrel (etanercept) is a tumor necrosis factor inhibitor used to treat certain autoimmune disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis, juvenile idiopathic arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, and plaque psoriasis. There is no generic Enbrel available currently.

Side effects of Enbrel include mild nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, headache, redness or discomfort at the injection site, heartburn, weight changes, cold symptoms (cough, runny nose) and weakness.

Serious side effects
include seizures, bruising or bleeding, skin changes (rash, pustules or blisters), swelling, difficulty breathing or swallowing, paresthesia, vision changes, weakness and/or dizziness....

Warnings are given for Enbrel use; Enbrel users are at increased risk for developing serious infections that may lead to hospitalization or death and for the development of lymphoma and other malignancies and death in children and adolescent patients treated with TNF blockers, including Enbrel. Patients receiving cyclophosphamide therapy are not recommended to use Enbrel and patients should not obtain any live vaccine while taking Enbrel. There are no studies available on Enbrel use in pregnant or breastfeeding women or their infants.

Enbrel is also an immune suppressor which goes back to my first post

that in certain cases cannabis has been found to suppress the immune system

and suppressing the immune system has been known to cause cancers

Serious side effects

Yep. But the relationship with cannabis isnt that straightforward. Immune system effects are extremely complicated.. in fact, if you 'inhibit' the immune system with a drug like ipilumumab which blocks an antigen, you actually will stimulate the action of killer -T cells (also a part of the immune system) and thus help treat cancer. Is that suppressing the immune system, or 'boosting' it? Those terms are almost meaningless, although you hear them thrown around a lot.

It is clear, though, that smoking will lead to increased cancer, but thats probably true of any burned plant material ingested into the lungs (even if its 'natural'! :) )

The point is that marijuana ingestion has many unknown toxicities and effects in disease, and medicinal use of it might well make people feel better, but it may not be doing a damn thing for the actual disease, or leading to harm.

Serious side effects

Yep. But the relationship with cannabis isnt that straightforward. Immune system effects are extremely complicated.. in fact, if you 'inhibit' the immune system with a drug like ipilumumab which blocks an antigen, you actually will stimulate the action of killer -T cells (also a part of the immune system) and thus help treat cancer. Is that suppressing the immune system, or 'boosting' it? Those terms are almost meaningless, although you hear them thrown around a lot.

It is clear, though, that smoking will lead to increased cancer, but thats probably true of any burned plant material ingested into the lungs (even if its 'natural'! :) )

The point is that marijuana ingestion has many unknown toxicities and effects in disease, and medicinal use of it might well make people feel better, but it may not be doing a damn thing for the actual disease, or leading to harm.

Still nothing about how I never said all natural remedies are always superior. :)

I would like to hear about some of the wonderful benefits of alcohol. And please include the side effects.

I would like to hear about some of the wonderful benefits of alcohol. And please include the side effects.

I have a feeling if it was outlawed, people would be clamoring to get medical use for alcohol just like they are for marijuana.

Serious side effects

People who smoke a pack of cigs a day get cancer. People who smoke a joint or two a day do not.

Serious side effects

People who smoke a pack of cigs a day get cancer. People who smoke a joint or two a day do not.

just ask willie nelson....

Re

Serious side effects

Really? Low doses of MJ are protective against cancer?

I bet certain people are going to demand references.

Re

Serious side effects

Really? Low doses of MJ are protective against cancer?

I bet certain people are going to demand references.
What do you mean protective? The risks are negligible. Low. Not so bad they should ban pot. Cell phones are just as dangerous. You want to ban those? How about microwave ovens?

I've been smoking for 25 years. If they should ban anything its cigarettes.

Forum List

Back