Meet Louisiana's Newly Elected 'Duck Dynasty' Backed Congressman

Steve_McGarrett

Gold Member
Jul 11, 2013
Well the conservative takeover of Washington has started. Meet Vance McAllister, the non-politician who upset Louisiana state senator Neil Riser in the congressional 5th district held be Rep. Rodney Alexander who stepped down to take a administrative role under Bobby Jindal. McAllister was backed by the local 'Duck Dynasty' guys in his area. This clearly sends a message to democrats that there will be more of this to come in 2014.

bilde

Willie-Robertson-has-endorsed-political-outsider-and-Republican-businessman-Vance-McAllister-who-will-be-battling-it-out-December-9-in-a-special-run-off-election-for-a-vacant-seat-in-Louisiana%E2%80%99s-5th-Congressional-district-.jpg

Duck Dynasty'-backed candidate wins Louisiana congressional election | Fox News

Vance McAllister, a political newcomer with the backing of the popular "Duck Dynasty" TV family, was elected as Louisiana's newest member of Congress Saturday night.

According to the Louisiana Secretary of State's website, McAllister led establishment candidate Neil Riser 59.7 percent to 40.3 percent -- a difference of over 17,500 votes -- with 976 of a possible 981 precincts reporting.

McAllister advanced to this weekend’s election to face off against Riser after an October contest with more than a dozen other candidates from both political parties -- in what is known as a “jungle primary.”

The seat in Louisiana's 5th Congressional District was left open when GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander resigned this summer to take a Cabinet post in GOP Gov. Bobby Jindal's administration.

The largely rural district along the Mississippi River delta is dotted with farmland and plagued by poverty. The 5th District covers all or part of 24 parishes, from northeast and central Louisiana into southeastern parishes bordering Mississippi.

In last month's election, Riser finished ahead of McAllister, taking 33 percent of the vote compared to 18 percent. But neither got the 50 percent needed to be declared the outright winner.

Many GOP races since 2010 have in some form been a Tea Party-vs.-establishment candidate showdown.

However, Riser doubled as both the establishment candidate and Tea Party favorite, promoting his experience but promising strident opposition to President Obama.

McAllister, meanwhile, embraced his outsider status, complete with an endorsement from his close friend Phil Robertson, the patriarch of television's hit series "Duck Dynasty." McAllister ran as the more measured pragmatist, criticizing Washington gridlock and hyper-partisanship, particularly on Obama's health care law.

"Plain and simple, this was Riser's election to lose. Riser was the favorite going into the evening. He had the dollars. He had the endorsement of the Republican establishment. He had a strong showing in the primary. Yet, he lost it," Joshua Stockley, a political science professor at the University of Louisiana at Monroe, told the Associated Press.

Last edited:
I like the show Duck Dynasty and it's a real pleasure to see a family like that who are deeply religious and still have tons of fun.

But that doesn't mean I'd follow them on who to elect or to say that someone is going to be great in office because they endorsed them.

When people really get discussed with Washington, they always seem to turn to a new face, a local business owner, a preacher, or a school teacher whose political experience is limited to chairmen of the PTA, and a few campaign speeches in support of local candidates. The idea that you can be successful in national and state politics with nothing more than a desire to represent the people and an honest face is nonsense. Many voters don't seem to understand that "Mr Smith Goes to Washington" is a fairly tale. These people once elected spend their first term learning the ropes and often don't get a chance to serve a second term. There is nothing simple or easy about politics at the state or national level and the naive and inexperienced usually fall by the wayside.

When people really get discussed with Washington, they always seem to turn to a new face, a local business owner, a preacher, or a school teacher whose political experience is limited to chairmen of the PTA, and a few campaign speeches in support of local candidates. The idea that you can be successful in national and state politics with nothing more than a desire to represent the people and an honest face is nonsense. Many voters don't seem to understand that "Mr Smith Goes to Washington" is a fairly tale. These people once elected spend their first term learning the ropes and often don't get a chance to serve a second term. There is nothing simple or easy about politics at the state or national level and the naive and inexperienced usually fall by the wayside.

As compared to those old bastards in Washington both sides of the aisle that make sure they attempt to crush a junior.

Clasping to power like Reid and McConnell and MCain believing their right to rule is their birthright.

:lol:

I'll take the newbies over the old bastards in a heartbeat.

I like the show Duck Dynasty and it's a real pleasure to see a family like that who are deeply religious and still have tons of fun.

But that doesn't mean I'd follow them on who to elect or to say that someone is going to be great in office because they endorsed them.

But the endorsement is gold. That brings in dollars. From all over the country.

I know LA because of my catahoulas. North to south and east to west, I'm telling you even though I have never seen the show (no television) but seen them rise on the internet watching these dudes rocking it out the endorsement is solid freaking gold.

As compared to those old bastards in Washington both sides of the aisle that make sure they attempt to crush a junior.

Clasping to power like Reid and McConnell and MCain believing their right to rule is their birthright.

I have no problem with new faces along as they have demonstrated they have the political skills to deal with Washington politics.

Watch out guys (and girls). If the DD guys ever take over the federal government they might issue a decree that all men have to grow those uuuugly beards. Stranger things have happened. Look at Hussein/care.

Well the conservative takeover of Washington has started. Meet Vance McAllister, the non-politician who upset Louisiana state senator Neil Riser in the congressional 5th district held be Rep. Rodney Alexander who stepped down to take a administrative role under Bobby Jindal. McAllister was backed by the local 'Duck Dynasty' guys in his area. This clearly sends a message to democrats that there will be more of this to come in 2014.

bilde

Willie-Robertson-has-endorsed-political-outsider-and-Republican-businessman-Vance-McAllister-who-will-be-battling-it-out-December-9-in-a-special-run-off-election-for-a-vacant-seat-in-Louisiana%E2%80%99s-5th-Congressional-district-.jpg

Duck Dynasty'-backed candidate wins Louisiana congressional election | Fox News

Vance McAllister, a political newcomer with the backing of the popular "Duck Dynasty" TV family, was elected as Louisiana's newest member of Congress Saturday night.

According to the Louisiana Secretary of State's website, McAllister led establishment candidate Neil Riser 59.7 percent to 40.3 percent -- a difference of over 17,500 votes -- with 976 of a possible 981 precincts reporting.

McAllister advanced to this weekend’s election to face off against Riser after an October contest with more than a dozen other candidates from both political parties -- in what is known as a “jungle primary.”

The seat in Louisiana's 5th Congressional District was left open when GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander resigned this summer to take a Cabinet post in GOP Gov. Bobby Jindal's administration.

The largely rural district along the Mississippi River delta is dotted with farmland and plagued by poverty. The 5th District covers all or part of 24 parishes, from northeast and central Louisiana into southeastern parishes bordering Mississippi.

In last month's election, Riser finished ahead of McAllister, taking 33 percent of the vote compared to 18 percent. But neither got the 50 percent needed to be declared the outright winner.

Many GOP races since 2010 have in some form been a Tea Party-vs.-establishment candidate showdown.

However, Riser doubled as both the establishment candidate and Tea Party favorite, promoting his experience but promising strident opposition to President Obama.

McAllister, meanwhile, embraced his outsider status, complete with an endorsement from his close friend Phil Robertson, the patriarch of television's hit series "Duck Dynasty." McAllister ran as the more measured pragmatist, criticizing Washington gridlock and hyper-partisanship, particularly on Obama's health care law.

"Plain and simple, this was Riser's election to lose. Riser was the favorite going into the evening. He had the dollars. He had the endorsement of the Republican establishment. He had a strong showing in the primary. Yet, he lost it," Joshua Stockley, a political science professor at the University of Louisiana at Monroe, told the Associated Press.

by the time 2016 is over, every democrat will be living in caves and growing beards like the "Duck Dynasty" guys...even the women!!

How do you think the republican party got so much younger than the democrats?

Ted Cruz - Harry Reid
Kelly Ayotte - Nancy Pelosi
Rand Paul - Hillary Clinton
Marco Rubio - Joe Biden

I always knew right wingers were dumb as hell, but they just do as they're told from some redneck on tv? The really are obedient sheep,..

I always knew right wingers were dumb as hell, but they just do as they're told from some redneck on tv? The really are obedient sheep,..

It's a sign of the times that the public takes a redneck on tv more seriously than the presidunce.

So your previous reason for assuming right wingers were dumb as hell did not include them listening to tv rednecks.

That begs the question; Why did you previously assume right wingers were dumb as hell? There must have been an incident ... something not involving a redneck...what was it?

I have no problem with new faces along as they have demonstrated they have the political skills to deal with Washington politics.

Dealing with Washington politics is a game for true. But I think the young bucks have already shown they have the testicular fortitude to tell the old bastards to stick it where the son don't shine.

Lordy, lordy lordy....................Ted Cruz and Mike et al are proven right aren't they now.

All they asked for was to delay this monstrosity of a mother trucker law for a year to fix the "hiccups".

Now all the asshole "inner circle" especially McCain look like such fucking jerks it is freaking awesome.

Now old mr mavericky is out there begging for a repeal of the bill.

I love it:lol:

Yep….We surely wouldn't behave as you smug Barry Bootlickers would do, now would we. I'll take the redneck mentality any day of the week over your "Trotsky Wannabe" lifestyle.

I always knew liberals were ruled by emotion and bigotry. They dismiss hard working rich capitalists who worked their way up as nothing but "rednecks". It's similar to the things progressives used to say about Black people back when all segregationists were democrats.

Forum List

Back