Memorial Day weekend: Lower Gas Prices: Where are all the threads praising the Pres?

When prices are dropping, you will never get someone to admit they blamed Obama when they were going up. They are far, far too cowardly.

And it is a mistake to look at the price at the pump. Better to look at the price of a barrel of oil, if you want to talk about things from the national level.

Oil peaked at $145.29 on the 4th of July, 2008. And no, sorry, Obama was not the President at that time. I know some of you like to imagine he was when facing the painful truth of stock market crash and housing crash and skyrocketing unemployment, though. Bummer, eh?

The peak during Obama's Presidency thus far was $113.93 this past April 29. Today, it is at $84.40.

The President has almost nothing to do with the price of oil. About the only power he has is over the petroleum reserves, which can be used to pop a speculative oil bubble when timed correctly.

If anyone was actually interested in learning why oil shot up to $145 back in the day, I would take the time to explain. But I know it would be a tremendous waste of my time.

That's what I said in 2008, but the people wanted to blame Bush. I remember Pelosi and her BS and then when the prices dropped, no one credited Bush.

Why is it that "it's Bush's fault" people are now defending Obama?

In November of 2008 was about $2.07 a gallon. Average gas prices

In november 2011 gas was $3.31 Average gas prices--November 28, 2011

Thats a 1.24 in three years...

Hell in december the average price of gas was 1.61 Average gas prices

In december 2011 it is $3.27 Average gas prices--December 12, 2011

Thats a increase of $1.66 in three years.

Last month gas was $3.67 Average gas prices--May 28, 2012

10 cents cheaper than in 2008 and yet oil a barrel $132.19

Oil in may last this year? $90.86

Whats different huh?

Crude Oil Price History

Last edited:
When gas went up it went up more than $2.00 a gallon. Now that it's dropped 35 cents, it isn't a reason to cheer.

What happened to the $5 a gallon gas the rightwing was predicting before the election?

Dollar figures are pretty irrelevant when the poor can't afford to fill their tanks regardless. And then there are folks like myself that spend nearly as much on fuel as their house payment. Worse yet if you have a fleet it sucks the profit right off your bottom line monthly.

Now that gas prices are dropping, republicans can go back to bitching about the 8.2% unemployment rate

When gas went up it went up more than $2.00 a gallon. Now that it's dropped 35 cents, it isn't a reason to cheer.

What happened to the $5 a gallon gas the rightwing was predicting before the election?

Dollar figures are pretty irrelevant when the poor can't afford to fill their tanks regardless. And then there are folks like myself that spend nearly as much on fuel as their house payment. Worse yet if you have a fleet it sucks the profit right off your bottom line monthly.

So nice to see conservatives concerned about the plight of the poor.

I was once poor and by any definition I have family that are still poor.

What was your point again?

Don't ya love how the left are detached from the actual effects of these so called lower gas prices. As if 35 fucking cents makes much of a difference when many have little to no disposable income as it is.

Don't ya love how the left are detached from the actual effects of these so called lower gas prices. As if 35 fucking cents makes much of a difference when many have little to no disposable income as it is.

Detached isn't the word I'd use. Try dillusional.

When prices are dropping, you will never get someone to admit they blamed Obama when they were going up. They are far, far too cowardly.

And it is a mistake to look at the price at the pump. Better to look at the price of a barrel of oil, if you want to talk about things from the national level.

Oil peaked at $145.29 on the 4th of July, 2008. And no, sorry, Obama was not the President at that time. I know some of you like to imagine he was when facing the painful truth of stock market crash and housing crash and skyrocketing unemployment, though. Bummer, eh?

The peak during Obama's Presidency thus far was $113.93 this past April 29. Today, it is at $84.40.

The President has almost nothing to do with the price of oil. About the only power he has is over the petroleum reserves, which can be used to pop a speculative oil bubble when timed correctly.

If anyone was actually interested in learning why oil shot up to $145 back in the day, I would take the time to explain. But I know it would be a tremendous waste of my time.

That's what I said in 2008, but the people wanted to blame Bush. I remember Pelosi and her BS and then when the prices dropped, no one credited Bush.

Beats me. People seem to think the President is omnipotent when it is convenient to them.

Wasn't Bush's fault, nor is it Obama's.

I would say Bush was partially responsible for a small amount of the rise int he price of gas due to the invasion of Iraq, but that effect was temporary, and certainly wasn't responsible for the price of a barrel of oil at it's height during his administration.

Really, if one wants to place blame on any politician, it should be the Congress of 2000, who created the Enron loophole, allowing for unfettered dark market energy trading.

Of course, admittedly, Clinton did sign the legislation, but he didn't write it.

And now...a dose of the real world...

East Coast Gas Squeeze Expected - Businessweek

These Philadelphia refineries could play a crucial role in determining the price many U.S. motorists pay for gasoline this summer—not because they will be refining oil into gas but because they probably won’t. All three are for sale, unprofitable, and outdated. Marcus Hook closed in December. ConocoPhillips’s refinery went idle in September. If Sunoco can’t find a buyer for its South Philadelphia refinery by July, it’ll close that one, too.

With the Philadelphia refineries probably gone for good, longer supply chains will add 5¢ to 10¢ to the price of a gallon of gas on the East Coast this summer, says John Parry, an analyst with energy research firm IHS Herold (IHS). According to a Feb. 27 report by the U.S. Energy Information Administration, drivers in the Northeast will be hit the hardest. Gas would have to be trucked and trained in to make up for lost supply, says the EIA report: “Prices will need to increase” to cover the extra cost.

Thats a 1.24 in then three years...

Whats different huh?

Crude Oil Price History

In July of 2008, it was 4.12 a gallon.

Gas Price Historical Price Charts - GasBuddy.com

It fell to 1.61 in November due to the economic collapse.

Are you suggesting we should collapse the economy again to drive the price of gas lower?

And now...a dose of the real world...

East Coast Gas Squeeze Expected - Businessweek

These Philadelphia refineries could play a crucial role in determining the price many U.S. motorists pay for gasoline this summer—not because they will be refining oil into gas but because they probably won’t. All three are for sale, unprofitable, and outdated. Marcus Hook closed in December. ConocoPhillips’s refinery went idle in September. If Sunoco can’t find a buyer for its South Philadelphia refinery by July, it’ll close that one, too.

With the Philadelphia refineries probably gone for good, longer supply chains will add 5¢ to 10¢ to the price of a gallon of gas on the East Coast this summer, says John Parry, an analyst with energy research firm IHS Herold (IHS). According to a Feb. 27 report by the U.S. Energy Information Administration, drivers in the Northeast will be hit the hardest. Gas would have to be trucked and trained in to make up for lost supply, says the EIA report: “Prices will need to increase” to cover the extra cost.

Your response has NOTHING to do with my post.

The point is....

What are conservatives doing to help the poor other than hold down minimum wage and restrict worker rights?

The point is....

What are conservatives doing to help the poor other than hold down minimum wage and restrict worker rights?

Raising minimum wage would restrict new hires because of the profit margin. Also could possibly lead to job losses by smaller companies.

Aside from that why is it the govt's responsibility to force wages on an employer for an individual who had the option (like all of us) to further educate themselves thereby being elligable for a better paying job?

The point is....

The real point is, why are the poor sitting on their dead asses waiting for somebody else to do something for them?

Thats a 1.24 in then three years...

Whats different huh?

Crude Oil Price History

In July of 2008, it was 4.12 a gallon.

Gas Price Historical Price Charts - GasBuddy.com

It fell to 1.61 in November due to the economic collapse.

Are you suggesting we should collapse the economy again to drive the price of gas lower?

The price of a barrel of oil in July 2008 was $145.29

Now gas was $3.64 For July 2011 and the price of a barrel of oil was $94.94

How come oil was $50.34 more expensive in 2008 and yet gas is only .48 cents cheaper?

Forum List

Back