Messianic Judaism

Dhara

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2015
Can you explain this? It seems to be a blend of Judaism and Christianity.

Well, I don't quite get "Jews for Jesus", it seems contradictory. But I'm very ignorant about it. I know a family that are Messianic Jews, they are lovely people. They home school their kids, but I don't understand how you can be a Jew and a Christian.

Is it like being a Jew and a Buddhist. I have many friends who are culturally Jewish and who may celebrate some holidays with their families AND they are practicing Buddhists.

Well, I don't quite get "Jews for Jesus", it seems contradictory. But I'm very ignorant about it. I know a family that are Messianic Jews, they are lovely people. They home school their kids, but I don't understand how you can be a Jew and a Christian.

Is it like being a Jew and a Buddhist. I have many friends who are culturally Jewish and who may celebrate some holidays with their families AND they are practicing Buddhists.

yes----lots of jews are also Buddhists-----the two religions do well together----sorta.
Buddhism---some Buddhists will say -----is not actually a "religion"-----and they
say that BUDDHA is not actually a "god"------of course some south east
Buddhists
do kinda act like Buddha is a 'god' and even HINDUS sorta sometimes
consider him a avatar------sorta. Messianic Judaism is-----joooos who consider
jesus a kind of avatar and adhere to jewish rules and regs-----until they give
that up too. There are lots of variations on religion in the world. Some
Messianic jews are not jews. ----in that they were never jews

Uh, if you read the Bible, it's clear that Jesus is the Messiah that the Jews were expecting. Messianic Jews are just Jews that accept Jesus as Messiah. It is Gentiles, or non-Jews that have been grafted onto the tree, so to speak.

yes----lots of jews are also Buddhists-----the two religions do well together----sorta.
Buddhism---some Buddhists will say -----is not actually a "religion"-----and they
Buddhists
What do you mean that Judaism and Buddhism do "sorta" well together? My experience is that many of the strongest Buddhists I know are culturally Jews and their families still practice in their tradition

Uh, if you read the Bible, it's clear that Jesus is the Messiah that the Jews were expecting. Messianic Jews are just Jews that accept Jesus as Messiah. It is Gentiles, or non-Jews that have been grafted onto the tree, so to speak.

yeah----"the tree"-------I read the bible ------OT and NT-----long long ago-----in fact
in my childhood. ---------besides just about every superman comic-----and the complete POEMS OF SHELLEY and some ISAAC AZIMOV-------there were very few books in my house----
the bible came in as freebies at Christmas time. -----As to religion, I was a
completely unschooled child of democrat jewish parents.-------no religion at all
in childhood except Christianity in the homes of playmates. -----THUS A KINDA
BLANK SHEET but avid reader. By the time I was about 14 ---it was clear to me
that Jesus was not a messiah-------by a long shot. By the time I was 16, with lots
more reading---it became clear to me that Jesus was a typical PHARISEE of his
time. At that time I thought I INVENTED that idea--------later I came to under-
stand that lots of people concluded as much LONG BEFORE ME. Christians
are people who have been led to believe that Pharisees are people stuck in
LEGALISMS -------and the "money changers" in the temple court yard were
"typical Pharisees" -----as were the "high priests"

Buddhists
What do you mean that Judaism and Buddhism do "sorta" well together? My experience is that many of the strongest Buddhists I know are culturally Jews and their families still practice in their tradition

yes-----I agree------jews can manage to do Buddhism -----and lots do without
much conflict and without annoying anyone-------the ONE problem I have noted
is the funeral------traditionally jews avoid cremation-----but lots of jews do it anyway.
Vegetarian Buddhists are people even the most traditional jews can "live with"---
and historically ----have, in the far east. Even the Buddha IDOL does not
bother some very orthodox Jews I have encountered. It might surprise you that
there is a philosophy of "reincarnation" stuck in some forms of Mystical "Judaism"

Tell me some more about Jesus not being a Messiah.

Buddhists

yes-----I agree------jews can manage to do Buddhism -----and lots do without
much conflict and without annoying anyone-------the ONE problem I have noted
is the funeral------traditionally jews avoid cremation-----but lots of jews do it anyway.
Vegetarian Buddhists are people even the most traditional jews can "live with"---
and historically ----have, in the far east. Even the Buddha IDOL does not
bother some very orthodox Jews I have encountered. It might surprise you that
there is a philosophy of "reincarnation" stuck in some forms of Mystical "Judaism"
Buddha isn't an idol. It means "one who is awake". It's not only a historically figure, but a state of being.

In Tibetan, the Sanskrit word "buddha" is "sang gye" which means to "clear away and to unfold". It is the potential of ALL beings to realize enlightenment.

What is "cleared away" are the five poisons of the mind Ignorance, pride, jealousy, attachment/neurotic desire, and anger. What unfolds are the enlightened qualities, love, compassion, joy, equanimity and wisdom itself.

Tell me some more about Jesus not being a Messiah.

well-----that is a very BIG topic------the place to start is JESUS THE PHARISEE
---plus the ROMAN ANTIPATHY to Pharisees. It is the basis for that which
discredits the NT version of the end of the story. You could review the writing of
ISAIAH BEN AMOS which is MESSIANIC JUDAISM (I mean the real stuff).

One has to buy into the Christian version of PHARISEE----in order to credit the
NT. The Christian version of Pharisee was invented by a ROMAN EMPEROR.
The jews of that time were to ROME-----about as lovable as the jews were to
ADOLF HITLER in 1933. Without actually knowing what a Pharisee
jew was--------you cannot understand Jesus of the NT

In Tibetan, the Sanskrit word "buddha" is "sang gye" which means to "clear away and to unfold". It is the potential of ALL beings to realize enlightenment.

ok? so?-------it's a religion. The Buddha's given name was not "BUDDHA"
The given name of Jesus was not "CHRIST" Buddha had a hindu name---
SIDDHARTHA

That is fascinating. I was raised a Roman Catholic but became a Buddhist. I did read the OT and NT in my youth. I'm sure this version was never avaiable to me, or my path led me elsewhere. Very cool that you know so much about it.

Thank you.

SIDDHARTHA
Yes, Siddhartha of the Shakya clan or Shakyamuni. Buddha isn't a title, it's an attainment of wisdom that ALL beings have the potential of realizing.

That is fascinating. I was raised a Roman Catholic but became a Buddhist. I did read the OT and NT in my youth. I'm sure this version was never avaiable to me, or my path led me elsewhere. Very cool that you know so much about it.

Thank you.

what "version" ???

SIDDHARTHA
You said the Buddha is an idol. It's not.

SIDDHARTHA
Yes, Siddhartha of the Shakya clan or Shakyamuni. Buddha isn't a title, it's an attainment of wisdom that ALL beings have the potential of realizing.

right---it is an ASCRIBED name-------just as "CHRIST" is ascribed

Thank you.

what "version" ???
The story of Jesus being a Pharisee and that is what makes him NOT a Messiah.

Forum List

Back