Messianic Judaism

It's ok Rosie. I wanted to let you know about how Buddhists think of Buddha statues because you have contempt about it. Your contempt is based on a misperception but you choose to hold onto it.

where did you imagine you found "contempt" ? Siddhartha AND Arjun-------are
among my fave epic heroes

btw----what do you imagine is "respect" in Buddhism?
That's a big topic. Let me just respect you and let you have your ideas about Buddhism even if I think they are misguided.

It's ok Rosie. I wanted to let you know about how Buddhists think of Buddha statues because you have contempt about it. Your contempt is based on a misperception but you choose to hold onto it.

The fact that you "disdain" Buddhist statues as idols (when they aren't that) and you insist that Buddhists consider Buddha as God or an "epic hero" is misguided IMO.

btw----what do you imagine is "respect" in Buddhism?
That's a big topic. Let me just respect you and let you have your ideas about Buddhism even if I think they are misguided.

is Buddhism an "ENTITY" in your perception? I have a sense that you have
ACCUSED me of showing "DISRESPECT" of the moon
No, and I'm very sorry. We don't appear to be able to discuss this topic together. My apologies.

No harm, no foul. No hard feelings. We'd better get back to Judaism.

The fact that you "disdain" Buddhist statues as idols (when they aren't that) and you insist that Buddhists consider Buddha as God or an "epic hero" is misguided IMO.

Wrong------I said "jews have a custom and even law of "DISDAINING"
physical depictions of "gods" or "holy concepts" as depicted figures.
I did not come
close to DECLARING my own sensibilities regarding such depictions-----AND I stated that I have known ORTHODOX jews who found nothing offensive about
the Buddhist (or even hindu) depictions.

I know ONE family and the couple of Messianic Jews. They were raised as Christians, they aren't culturally Jewish. I mean they aren't born into Judaism

Some say They respect the Jewish holidays like Passover or Sukkot, that they celebrate them along with Christian beliefs.

That's ok, I guess. I have nothing against that. But it still doesn't make them Jews.
That may be true that they really ARE not Jews, but they call themselves Jews.

To be a Jew you need to either be born to a Jewish mother or convert properly.

There's no half way there.

Calm down. Your tradition avoids the use of imagery. Mine does not. The teachings I've received address misconceptions about "deities". What makes it difficult to talk about is that no other religion has teachings on "emptiness".

That makes it hard to discuss Buddhism with non-Buddhists.

I know ONE family and the couple of Messianic Jews. They were raised as Christians, they aren't culturally Jewish. I mean they aren't born into Judaism

Some say They respect the Jewish holidays like Passover or Sukkot, that they celebrate them along with Christian beliefs.

That's ok, I guess. I have nothing against that. But it still doesn't make them Jews.

That's my understanding too, which is why I don't understand "Messianic Judaism" as I have encountered it so rarely.

there are Christians in the USA who adopt jewish customs -------they would not
be considered jews in Israel OR in the USA -----by jews

Of course.

That's my understanding too, which is why I don't understand "Messianic Judaism" as I have encountered it so rarely.

Maybe they just like Matzos:)

Yes, I guessed that was the case. They seem to be more of a Christian cult that has adopted some trappings of Judaism.

Maybe they just like Matzos:)
Or Matzo ball soup.

Calm down. Your tradition avoids the use of imagery. Mine does not. The teachings I've received address misconceptions about "deities". What makes it difficult to talk about is that no other religion has teachings on "emptiness".

sure there are such concepts----OUTSIDE of Buddhism------ie the
"NOTHINGNESS" idea--------"the end of all things"

sure there are such concepts----OUTSIDE of Buddhism------ie the
"NOTHINGNESS" idea--------"the end of all things"
rosie--

Nothingness is nihilism. It is NOT "emptiness".

Dhara

Buddhism teaches the Middle Way. It is NOT eternalisms, nor is it nihilism. It avoids these "two extreme" views.

Forum List

Back