Messianic Judaism

In Tibetan, the Sanskrit word "buddha" is "sang gye" which means to "clear away and to unfold". It is the potential of ALL beings to realize enlightenment.

ok? so?-------it's a religion. The Buddha's given name was not "BUDDHA"
The given name of Jesus was not "CHRIST" Buddha had a hindu name---
SIDDHARTHA
You said the Buddha is an idol. It's not.

no----I was referring to the fact that Buddhists do statues of Buddha and
TREAT it like an idol. Jews are neurotic about that kind of thing

In Tibetan, the Sanskrit word "buddha" is "sang gye" which means to "clear away and to unfold". It is the potential of ALL beings to realize enlightenment.

SIDDHARTHA
Yes, Siddhartha of the Shakya clan or Shakyamuni. Buddha isn't a title, it's an attainment of wisdom that ALL beings have the potential of realizing.

right---it is an ASCRIBED name-------just as "CHRIST" is ascribed
It is more than that, more than a name.

It's ok. I've been a Buddhist a long time and have had the benefit of oral teachings by accomplished Buddhist masters. I'm not on your case, honestly.

Well, I don't quite get "Jews for Jesus", it seems contradictory. But I'm very ignorant about it. I know a family that are Messianic Jews, they are lovely people. They home school their kids, but I don't understand how you can be a Jew and a Christian.

Is it like being a Jew and a Buddhist. I have many friends who are culturally Jewish and who may celebrate some holidays with their families AND they are practicing Buddhists.

Buddhism is not really a religion, and Budha never claimed to be god. If one wishes to define Budhism as religion, it's best naming will be "religion of happiness", not "religion of God". Budhism is a way of life, so technicakly, one can choose to live in a "Budhistic way", no matter his original religion. Not so much with Messianic Judaism.

That is fascinating. I was raised a Roman Catholic but became a Buddhist. I did read the OT and NT in my youth. I'm sure this version was never avaiable to me, or my path led me elsewhere. Very cool that you know so much about it.

Thank you.

what "version" ???
The story of Jesus being a Pharisee and that is what makes him NOT a Messiah.

no-----it is part of the reality that discredits the NT account of his life. There are
other factors. I am not sure what "the story of Jesus being a Pharisee" means-------I know of no scriptural text entitled "Jesus the Pharisee"-------I came to know what a Pharisee is---------read all about Jesus and concluded that he was a Pharisee (along with lots of other people----independently)

SIDDHARTHA

That's a misunderstanding that I'l like to correct. Yes, there are statues of Buddha images and meditational deities. These are symbolic represntations of indescribable states of awareness itself. When a Buddhist bows or prostrates it is NOT to a statue, or a man called Siddhartha.

It is to the positive potential for enlightenment that all beings have. It is to this potential that we pay homage to.

SIDDHARTHA
Yes, Siddhartha of the Shakya clan or Shakyamuni. Buddha isn't a title, it's an attainment of wisdom that ALL beings have the potential of realizing.

It's ok. I've been a Buddhist a long time and have had the benefit of oral teachings by accomplished Buddhist masters. I'm not on your case, honestly.

right----it DESCRIBES Siddhartha according to Buddhists. Just as "Christ"
describes Jesus according to christians

Well, I don't quite get "Jews for Jesus", it seems contradictory. But I'm very ignorant about it. I know a family that are Messianic Jews, they are lovely people. They home school their kids, but I don't understand how you can be a Jew and a Christian.

Is it like being a Jew and a Buddhist. I have many friends who are culturally Jewish and who may celebrate some holidays with their families AND they are practicing Buddhists.

Buddhism is not really a religion, and Budha never claimed to be god. Budhism is a way of life, so technicakly, one can choose to live in a "Budhistic way", no matter his original religion. Not so much with Messianic Judaism.
It is a religion in one sense and a way of life in another. To practice meditation one does not have to be a Buddhist. To consider oneself a Buddhist one takes Refuge Vows.

SIDDHARTHA

That's a misunderstanding that I'l like to correct. Yes, there are statues of Buddha images and meditational deities. These are symbolic represntations of indescribable states of awareness itself. When a Buddhist bows or prostrates it is NOT to a statue, or a man called Siddhartha.

It is to the positive potential for enlightenment that all beings have. It is to this potential that we pay homage to.

right-----I understand all that-------I have interacted lots with HINDUS------I was
referring to the jewish UTTER DISDAIN for statues as representatives of gods

SIDDHARTHA

No, Buddha is not a god. It is a state of being that ALL of us have the potential to recognize and realize.

SIDDHARTHA

right-----I understand all that-------I have interacted lots with HINDUS------I was
referring to the jewish UTTER DISDAIN for statues as representatives of gods
Hindus and Buddhists aren't the same. Disdain is a pretty strong word. Do you disdain your holy books?

Tell me some more about Jesus not being a Messiah.

The Tanach tells us that the Messiah, the "Navi Emmet", prophet of truth, or whatever you decide to call it, will speak honestly, must be from the house of Israel, and most importantly, once he comes, salvation to the house of Israel must come too. That did not happen with Son of Miriam, therefor the prophecy by Jewish way didn't occure, therefor Jews still wait.

That's basically it.

Buddhism is not really a religion, and Budha never claimed to be god. Budhism is a way of life, so technicakly, one can choose to live in a "Budhistic way", no matter his original religion. Not so much with Messianic Judaism.
It is a religion in one sense and a way of life in another. To practice meditation one does not have to be a Buddhist. To consider oneself a Buddhist one takes Refuge Vows.

ok----HOWEVER----Buddhists of southeast asia and the far east DO ACT as if
Buddha is a "god" Messianic Judaism-------is a Christian construct

Again, you misunderstand Buddhism.

SIDDHARTHA

No, Buddha is not a god. It is a state of being that ALL of us have the potential to recognize and realize.

ok-----half a dozen of one and six of the other. Buddhist PEOPLE----born
into that religion do ACT as though----the person SIDDHARTHA was an avatar
of "GOD"

Ah. I must say my knowledge of the subject it quite limited, I find it fascinating, though. One day I'll probably learn this subject to the bone:)

ok-----half a dozen of one and six of the other. Buddhist PEOPLE----born
into that religion do ACT as though----the person SIDDHARTHA was an avatar
of "GOD"
Sigh. What if I were to tell YOU and insist that I knew more about Judaism than you do based on my ignorance. I won't do that to you. I respect you. I've been practicing Buddhism for thirty years.

Ah. I must say my knowledge of the subject it quite limited, I find it fascinating, though. One day I'll probably learn this subject to the bone:)
To do that you have to immerse yourself in the practice, not just rely on book learning or observations tinged with misunderstanding.

Again, you misunderstand Buddhism.

nope----not really. I got it. that's why I understand why so many jews ARE
Buddhists------You seem not to understand that millions of BUDDHISTS function
as if BUDDHA (Siddhartha) was an avatar of "GOD" -----or----from the hindu POV of a "god" The first depiction of a "god" I ever owned was given to me by a HINDU-------and----it was BUDDHA

Forum List

Back