Messianic Judaism

Well, I don't quite get "Jews for Jesus", it seems contradictory. But I'm very ignorant about it. I know a family that are Messianic Jews, they are lovely people. They home school their kids, but I don't understand how you can be a Jew and a Christian.

Is it like being a Jew and a Buddhist. I have many friends who are culturally Jewish and who may celebrate some holidays with their families AND they are practicing Buddhists.

Buddhism is not really a religion, and Budha never claimed to be god. Budhism is a way of life, so technicakly, one can choose to live in a "Budhistic way", no matter his original religion. Not so much with Messianic Judaism.
It is a religion in one sense and a way of life in another. To practice meditation one does not have to be a Buddhist. To consider oneself a Buddhist one takes Refuge Vows.

ok----HOWEVER----Buddhists of southeast asia and the far east DO ACT as if
Buddha is a "god" Messianic Judaism-------is a Christian construct
Again, you misunderstand Buddhism.

nope----not really. I got it. that's why I understand why so many jews ARE
Buddhists------You seem not to understand that millions of BUDDHISTS function
as if BUDDHA (Siddhartha) was an avatar of "GOD" -----or----from the hindu POV of a "god" The first depiction of a "god" I ever owned was given to me by a HINDU-------and----it was BUDDHA
I think it's pretty arrogant to tell ME what Buddhism is. It's like me trying to tell YOU what Judaism is.

I know ONE family and the couple of Messianic Jews. They were raised as Christians, they aren't culturally Jewish. I mean they aren't born into Judaism

right---it is an ASCRIBED name-------just as "CHRIST" is ascribed
It is more than that, more than a name.

It's ok. I've been a Buddhist a long time and have had the benefit of oral teachings by accomplished Buddhist masters. I'm not on your case, honestly.

right----it DESCRIBES Siddhartha according to Buddhists. Just as "Christ"
describes Jesus according to christians
No, Buddha is not a god. It is a state of being that ALL of us have the potential to recognize and realize.

ok-----half a dozen of one and six of the other. Buddhist PEOPLE----born
into that religion do ACT as though----the person SIDDHARTHA was an avatar
of "GOD"
Sigh. What if I were to tell YOU and insist that I knew more about Judaism than you do based on my ignorance. I won't do that to you. I respect you. I've been practicing Buddhism for thirty years.

I am not suggesting that I know more about BUDDHISM than you do------I am ---
saying -----that lots of people-----actual BORN BUDDHISTS included------and also
some hindus--------consider BUDDHA to be an avatar of either "GOD" or ---a "god" or maybe he is ARJUN------of the MAHABHARATA. I am not sure
that BUDDHISM is as concrete as you "SEEM" to describe it

I know ONE family and the couple of Messianic Jews. They were raised as Christians, they aren't culturally Jewish. I mean they aren't born into Judaism

yes----such persons do exist-------they kinda take up some of the "rules"
and customs of "Judaism"

It is more than that, more than a name.

It's ok. I've been a Buddhist a long time and have had the benefit of oral teachings by accomplished Buddhist masters. I'm not on your case, honestly.

No, Buddha is not a god. It is a state of being that ALL of us have the potential to recognize and realize.

of "GOD"
Sigh. What if I were to tell YOU and insist that I knew more about Judaism than you do based on my ignorance. I won't do that to you. I respect you. I've been practicing Buddhism for thirty years.

saying -----that lots of people-----actual BORN BUDDHISTS included------and also
some hindus--------consider BUDDHA to be an avatar of either "GOD" or ---a "god" or maybe he is ARJUN------of the MAHABHARATA. I am not sure
No, they do not. You have misconceptions about Buddhism. You're extremely disrespectful.

Well, I don't quite get "Jews for Jesus", it seems contradictory. But I'm very ignorant about it. I know a family that are Messianic Jews, they are lovely people. They home school their kids, but I don't understand how you can be a Jew and a Christian.

Is it like being a Jew and a Buddhist. I have many friends who are culturally Jewish and who may celebrate some holidays with their families AND they are practicing Buddhists.

Buddhism is not really a religion, and Budha never claimed to be god. Budhism is a way of life, so technicakly, one can choose to live in a "Budhistic way", no matter his original religion. Not so much with Messianic Judaism.
It is a religion in one sense and a way of life in another. To practice meditation one does not have to be a Buddhist. To consider oneself a Buddhist one takes Refuge Vows.

I do not think that there is a SINGLE definition of buddhism

yes----such persons do exist-------they kinda take up some of the "rules"
and customs of "Judaism"
They wear some braids on their clothing. They home school their kids. They are very strict. They do not celebrate Christmas or other holidays.

Try and have an open mind and learn something here. You are fixated on needing to be "right" about your ideas of Buddhism. That's ok. I thought I was talking to someone interested in a dialogue of learning

That's said, I will ONLY answer questions about Buddhism when asked. You have the floor rosie.

Some say They respect the Jewish holidays like Passover or Sukkot, that they celebrate them along with Christian beliefs.

That's ok, I guess. I have nothing against that. But it still doesn't make them Jews.

of "GOD"

No, they do not. You have misconceptions about Buddhism. You're extremely disrespectful.

disrespectful of WHAT? -------I would not consider spitting on the floor in a Buddhist temple. I do not believe that ----people born to Buddhism do not
anthromorphize "god" as being the historic person they call "BUDDHA"

the idea that the IDOLS are PURELY REPRESENTATIVE of concepts is not
new to me--------it is a SOPHISTICATED CONCEPT-----most people are not all
that SOPHISTICATED in their thinking and do not even have the CAPACITY to
get into such sophisticated thinking

Some say They respect the Jewish holidays like Passover or Sukkot, that they celebrate them along with Christian beliefs.

That's ok, I guess. I have nothing against that. But it still doesn't make them Jews.
That may be true that they really ARE not Jews, but they call themselves Jews.

of "GOD"

disrespectful of WHAT? -------I would not consider spitting on the floor in a Buddhist temple. I do not believe that ----people born to Buddhism do not

It's ok rosie. You can continue to think however you choose. I'd just like you to consider that I am NOT imposing my ideas about Judaism on you. I don't it's productive. I approach learning about Judaism respectfully.

Try and have an open mind and learn something here. You are fixated on needing to be "right" about your ideas of Buddhism. That's ok. I thought I was talking to someone interested in a dialogue of learning

I have an opened mind-------I am convinced that you do not. You are fixated
on YOUR OWN CONCEPT OF --------'Buddhism'

of "GOD"

It's ok rosie. You can continue to think however you choose. I'd just like you to consider that I am NOT imposing my ideas about Judaism on you. I don't it's productive. I approach learning about Judaism respectfully.

fine with me-------I did or said NOTHING "disrespectful" of any version of
BUDDHISM. or any concept of the historic person Siddhartha------whether
from the POV of a Buddhist of Tibet-------or a hindu of Mysore

It's ok Rosie. I wanted to let you know about how Buddhists think of Buddha statues because you have contempt about it. Your contempt is based on a misperception but you choose to hold onto it.

Contempt was NOT the word you chose, it was disdain.

Forum List

Back