Mexico's President Says There's No Way He'll Pay For A Border Wall

Hello, Western Union, we need you to tax wires to foreign recipients. Thanks!

Hello, Todd, from Earth: While you have been traveling in space, it has been revealed that the president does not have the legal authority to either violate NAFTA treaties with tarriffs, or create new taxes. Congress does that, and Congress would rather cut off their own balls than to be caught creating new taxes.

Are you kidding? A tax that only hits foreigners? They'd love that shit.
But how would you know? What if you are taxing 30 percent on a wire to some Americans kid studying in Italy?

What if you are taxing 30 percent on a wire to some Americans kid studying in Italy?

Gee, if only there were some way to differentiate between an American sending money and an illegal sending money.

Tell you what, when the American files his income tax, he can get the wire transfer tax refunded.
So you are thinking of id card or something?
What if the sender is a citizen but sending it home?
Can we not discuss this without you being a sarcastic asshole?

So you are thinking of id card or something?

We have those. And Social Security numbers.

What if the sender is a citizen but sending it home?

I already covered that.

Can we not discuss this without you being a sarcastic asshole?

Probably not.

Take it out of foreign aid and tax remittances. Two walls could be built with that money alone.

Well, let's see.

Cost of wall: $10,000,000,000
Foreign aid: $ 400,000,000 (much of which is used to fight drug cartels trying to import drugs to the USA)

That seems to result in a shortfall of $9,600,000,000. So, what the hell are "tax remittances" and link where that comes to almost 10 billion dollars.

Foreign aid: $ 400,000,000 (much of which is used to fight drug cartels trying to import drugs to the USA)

We getting our money's worth yet?

So, what the hell are "tax remittances"

Illegals wire money home, hit that with a 30% tax. It'll add up quick.
I like it so far. How would you enforce it?
So the legal immigrant farm workers here breaking their backs for twelve, fourteen hours a day to pick our tomatoes need to pay for a wall every time they send money home to feed their wives and kids? You only going to tax the people who can't find their green card?

Mexico will pay for it. Maybe not directly, but they'll pay in lost trade.

And, not having any imports to the USA because of lost trade due to tariffs, there will be no tariffs collected at all.
Who gives a shit about lost tariffs? We'll get the money back thousandfold as USA companies move back home, employing thousands of taxpayers. (Won't happen, though, if another Dim gets in the white house.)
Oh, hark! Is that Trump I hear?

Take it out of foreign aid and tax remittances. Two walls could be built with that money alone.

Well, let's see.

That seems to result in a shortfall of $9,600,000,000. So, what the hell are "tax remittances" and link where that comes to almost 10 billion dollars.

So the legal immigrant farm workers here breaking their backs for twelve, fourteen hours a day to pick our tomatoes need to pay for a wall every time they send money home to feed their wives and kids? You only going to tax the people who can't find their green card?
I wanted details, OL.
I have no problem taxing money going out of the country to benefit another economy.

Well, let's see.

I wanted details, OL.
I have no problem taxing money going out of the country to benefit another economy.

Why bother to tax people sending money out of the country? The tax would just be added to the cost of what these people produce, that you buy. Pedro will demand $9 per hour to pick your grapes, instead of $6.Why don't you eliminate the middle man and just have the government tax you directly, instead? Either way, YOU would be paying for the wall. And, BTW, about 100 miles of the border is on an Indian reservation. They are a sovereign nation inside AZ, and their reservation is on both sides of the border. The O'Odham tribe only allows Border Patrol on their reservation at their invitation. They will not tolerate a wall through the middle of their reservation.

Well, let's see.

I wanted details, OL.

Why bother to tax people sending money out of the country? The tax would just be added to the cost of what these people produce, that you buy. Pedro will demand $9 per hour to pick your grapes, instead of $6.Why don't you eliminate the middle man and just have the government tax you directly, instead? Either way, YOU would be paying for the wall. And, BTW, about 100 miles of the border is on an Indian reservation. They are a sovereign nation inside AZ, and their reservation is on both sides of the border. The O'Odham tribe only allows Border Patrol on their reservation at their invitation. They will not tolerate a wall through the middle of their reservation.

Why bother to tax people sending money out of the country? The tax would just be added to the cost of what these people produce, that you buy. Pedro will demand $9 per hour to pick your grapes, instead of $6.

Those illegals have a lot of bargaining power?
Maybe they'll just go home?

I wanted details, OL.

Why bother to tax people sending money out of the country? The tax would just be added to the cost of what these people produce, that you buy. Pedro will demand $9 per hour to pick your grapes, instead of $6.

Maybe you want their job of farm labor in the Imperial Valley. I drive through it last July to pick up a motorcycle in San Diego. It was 116 degrees fahrenheit.

Well, let's see.

LOL!

15 Million people aren't here picking tomatoes.

Let's keep it real, ok?

I wanted details, OL.

Maybe you want their job of farm labor in the Imperial Valley. I drive through it last July to pick up a motorcycle in San Diego. It was 116 degrees fahrenheit.

LOL! 15 million mexicans are NOT picking tomatoes and lettuce.

I support a guest worker program for those shit jobs.

For every other jobs, I want to reserve it for Americans first.

Of course he won't. He loves things the way they are. He's sitting on a nice $58 Billion trade advantage with the U.S., doesn't have to take care of his own People, and ships his worst criminals across the border. Sounds like a pretty sweet deal for him, no?

But if we get an American President in there who actually cares about American Citizens, that will change. We just gotta get an American President in there who has a brain and some guts. Hopefully that will happen.

I wanted details, OL.

No thanks.

I wanted details, OL.

...and yet, Correll, you are simply too dense to understand that American consumers end up paying for tariffs on Mexican imports and that taxing money that we wire for payment for Mexican products are simply added back to your bill when you buy those goods, which means that YOU pay for Trump's wall....

Which reminds me, Correll. The US postal service erroneously delivered to me a letter addressed to you that you have won $35,000,0000 in a lottery. I will forward it to you if you will first reimburse me for my expenses for finding you. Send me $25,000, and I will hand deliver it to you.

I wanted details, OL.

...and yet, Correll, you are simply too dense to understand that American consumers end up paying for tariffs on Mexican imports and that taxing money that we wire for payment for Mexican products are simply added back to your bill when you buy those goods, which means that YOU pay for Trump's wall....

A tariff on Mexican goods works better as a threat, ie leverage in negotiations that as an actual fund raiser, for that very reason.

Do you think that the Mexican Government wants Mexican goods to become less competitive in the world's largest consumer market?

I wanted details, OL.

...and yet, Correll, you are simply too dense to understand that American consumers end up paying for tariffs on Mexican imports

We're already paying taxes for the education of kids of illegals, for medical care for illegals and their kids and to jail illegal criminals.

taxing money that we wire for payment for Mexican products are simply added back to your bill

The original idea was to tax the money the illegals are wiring abroad. No one mentioned payments for goods.

...and yet, Correll, you are simply too dense to understand that American consumers end up paying for tariffs on Mexican imports

We're already paying taxes for the education of kids of illegals, for medical care for illegals and their kids and to jail illegal criminals.

taxing money that we wire for payment for Mexican products are simply added back to your bill

The original idea was to tax the money the illegals are wiring abroad. No one mentioned payments for goods.

And how would you know the difference between money "wired abroad", and money "wired abroad for payment of goods"?

And how would you know the difference between money "wired abroad", and money "wired abroad for payment of goods"?

Because some of it would be wired from Americans to Mexican companies in exchange for goods, and some would be wired from Mexicans here to Mexicans there for nothing.

If DuPont sent a wire for $23 million, from their account at Citibank, that's probably buying goods.
If Jesus Lopez sent $1950, from Western Union, that's probably an illegal.

Because some of it would be wired from Americans to Mexican companies in exchange for goods, and some would be wired from Mexicans here to Mexicans there for nothing.

This should not even be dignified with comment, but, i will go ahead and ask another stupid question. I live 30 miles from the border, south of Tucson, and bought something for my part time business from Mexico. I wired $525 to Garcia and Sons. Would I be taxed for that wire?

Forum List

Back