Minimum Wage Increases Passed in All Five States Where It Was on the Ballot

I don't get it. If the people want the minimum wage to go up so badly, why don't they make it happen without relying on government?
Unions?

I was thinking more along the lines of don't settle for a low wage at work. There is also the time honored tradition of taking your business elsewhere if you feel that people are getting paid inadequately.
You don't know much about the history of American labor, do you?

well, lecture us, college student. explain it all to us.

Minimum wage isn't high on the priority list for conservatives. I think it's an overblown issue that Dems use to try and paint all Republicans as those who endorse exploiting low wage workers. Conservatives have no problems with people getting paid more, it's just the whole government mandate part of it usually leads to more people just being laid off.

??????

Then why did all the Repubs in Congress block it when the Democrats pushed for $10.10 an hour?

Because it is rediculous to mandate a minimum wage at the Federal level. The states are perfectly capable of handling this issue, as they just proved.

Not all states are.

Do you know that Alabama has no state minimum wage. Georgia's is $5.15 an hour, Louisiana has no state minimum, Minnesota's is $6.50 an hour if you have <$500K a year in sales, Mississippi has no state minimum wage, Montana $4.00 a freaking hour for businesses that have less than $110K a year in sales. Oklahoma the minimum wage is $2 a fucking hour if you have <10 employees and <$100K a year in sales. South Carolina, NO state minimum wage, same with Tenn. Wyoming, $5.15 an hour.

That's what those states would allow employers to pay if the federal minimum wage didn't over rule all of them.

Please tell me your trolling when you say that there is no need for a federal minimum.

Oh and besides the states listed above 19 states pay EXACTLY the
federal minimum by state law.

Are you telling us that none of those states you just listed has the ability to pass laws regarding minimum wage in their own state legislature or to put it on the ballot for popular vote?

I'm saying they haven't. Which is why the federal standard is required.

A backwards fuck state like Mississippi shouldn't be allowed to remain even more backwards than it already is simply because of "state's rights"

too fucking bad
Yes, they should. There is no reason that the federal government needs to get into peoples lives because other people consider them 'backward.' That is asinine - they should do as they please. The federal government is there to take care of federal matters - not local matters because someone elsewhere decides they know better. This is also a chicken or egg argument - are there no laws because they would never pass them and a federal mandate is necessary OR is there ALREADY a federal law and therefore no reason to pass a state one...

I think the latter is FAR more likely to be honest. The problem is that with a federal minimum wage there is nothing taking into account the local economic conditions as well. The federal minimum wage might be just right, to much or to little depending on those circumstances and it is not the feds that can address that.

Because it is rediculous to mandate a minimum wage at the Federal level. The states are perfectly capable of handling this issue, as they just proved.

Not all states are.

Do you know that Alabama has no state minimum wage. Georgia's is $5.15 an hour, Louisiana has no state minimum, Minnesota's is $6.50 an hour if you have <$500K a year in sales, Mississippi has no state minimum wage, Montana $4.00 a freaking hour for businesses that have less than $110K a year in sales. Oklahoma the minimum wage is $2 a fucking hour if you have <10 employees and <$100K a year in sales. South Carolina, NO state minimum wage, same with Tenn. Wyoming, $5.15 an hour.

That's what those states would allow employers to pay if the federal minimum wage didn't over rule all of them.

Please tell me your trolling when you say that there is no need for a federal minimum.

Oh and besides the states listed above 19 states pay EXACTLY the
federal minimum by state law.

Are you telling us that none of those states you just listed has the ability to pass laws regarding minimum wage in their own state legislature or to put it on the ballot for popular vote?

I'm saying they haven't. Which is why the federal standard is required.

A backwards fuck state like Mississippi shouldn't be allowed to remain even more backwards than it already is simply because of "state's rights"

too fucking bad

You just gave us a run down of all those states and what laws they already have, so apparently they have taken on the issue, you just don't agree with it.
So your solution is to force them to do what you want on a federal level, because you don't like their local laws and you know what's best.

He's a typical big government statist.
Why? Because he disagrees with you on this issue? Demonizing is not really an effective debate tactic and it is somewhat misplaced in this case anyway.

Destroy his argument, not his character...

The four red states that raised the minimum wage:

Arkansas, Nebraska, Alaska and South Dakota.

Just more evidence of how far out of touch the RWnuts on USMB are.

Actually it shows how out of touch you are. You believe that all Republicans are opposed to any minimum wage increase anywhere at any time, because that is what the left-wing hate machine has told you.

I have no issues with cities and states passing their own laws about it.

So the almost unanimous opposition to a minimum wage increase by the USMB Right that over the last many months has been in ample evidence,

almost always supported by the the claim that a minimum wage increase will cost jobs, has been ONLY against a federal minimum wage increase?

lol, good one.

Aaaaand the liberals are here pushing the class dividing tactic. How stupid are liberals? How fucking easy it is for the democrats to use their sock puppets.

Liberals are such deranged morons.

This is hilarious. A few minor issues like minimum wage and pot smoking passed in a few blue states, and you shills are here saying this means the whole country is really progressive at heart.

The progressive ***** just can't accept the fact that they got their asses handed to them over the vast majority of the country. Even several deep blue states went red.
Do us all a a favor and move to Washington, you all deserve each other.

The minimum wage measures passed in four Republican states plus Illinois. In Illinois, they elected a Republican Governor who opposed a hike in the minimum wage but supported the minimum wage increase by a margin of 63% to 37%. .

More support for my argument that on the issues directly before them, the voters were rational and voted Democrat. In the big picture, the GOP victory was just an emotional mob mentality stampede.

Aaaaand the liberals are here pushing the class dividing tactic. How stupid are liberals? How fucking easy it is for the democrats to use their sock puppets.

Liberals are such deranged morons.

Liberals didn't force the voters of 4 red states to cross over ideologically and vote for minimum wage increases.

What you don't get is that many Americans think they're conservatives, but when the real issues come to forefront, they are much less so than they think.

Now if you believe the RWnut propaganda around here, those 5 minimum wage increases in those states should cause economic disasters, especially massive layoffs among low income workers.

We'll see...

only $15 an hour?

I though San Fran would do $100/hour, I wonder why they didn't...hmmmm

Unlike you, the backers weren't stupid.

Here's my plan.

-Raise minimum wage to $23.50/hr. Based on where minimum wage should be using 1970-2013 rise in food, shelter, and transportation.

-Eliminate all business subsidies (deductions/write-off’s/write-downs) except for employee expenses which are deducted dollar-for-dollar on all city, state, and Federal taxes and fees with the Feds refunding city, State, and fees.

-Companies with 300 employees or less, employee expenses above the deduction are subsidized at 100% with funds usually give back to the States.

-Adjust Social Security and private/public retirement and pension payments using 1970-2013 price structure. Remove the FICA limit.

-Back down ALL costs, prices, fees, to January 1, 2009 levels and hold them for 10 years which will eliminate inflation.

-Recall ALL off-shore investments tax free, and disallow any further off-shore investments.

-Make inversion illegal.

-Raise minimum wage to $23.50/hr. Based on where minimum wage should be using 1970-2013 rise in food, shelter, and transportation.

You've got bad price info.

-Back down ALL costs, prices, fees, to January 1, 2009 levels and hold them for 10 years which will eliminate inflation.

Can't be done.
-Recall ALL off-shore investments tax free, and disallow any further off-shore investments.

Unconstitutional.

Now if you believe the RWnut propaganda around here, those 5 minimum wage increases in those states should cause economic disasters, especially massive layoffs among low income workers.

We'll see...

No, what it causes is a combination of inflation and loss of the very low level workers one is trying to give a boost to.

Let me explain.

When one raises the minimum wage, you now create a group of people who are now new minimum wage workers, who were not previously. They think to themselves, :hey, i'm not a minimum wage worker, I deserve more!" So they complain, and if unionized they strike, get what they want, and then up to the next level, guys making what the lower skilled trade are now making do the SAME thing. In cases where there is no union pressure, the worker may decide to try for a better paying job, if so, and if the newly minimum wage level people do not have the skill set needed, he has to raise his wages to attract the right people. This raises costs, causes inflation, and we are back where we started.

The 2nd effect is if now a boss has to pay $10 an hour, he may decide to hire people actually worth that, instead of the people he paid $8 an hour. doing that he may get more productivity, and the former $8 an hour worker is sent packing.

That should tell you a lot.

it tells us that prices are going to go up in those states and that the unemployment rate will also go up. Those who still have minimum wage jobs (29 hours/wk due to obamacare) will have a few more dollars, but those states will see their budgets go into the red paying unemployment claims.

but thats just fine, the people get what they vote for. Thats the way it should be.

only $15 an hour?

Here's my plan.

-Eliminate all business subsidies (deductions/write-off’s/write-downs) except for employee expenses which are deducted dollar-for-dollar on all city, state, and Federal taxes and fees with the Feds refunding city, State, and fees.

-Companies with 300 employees or less, employee expenses above the deduction are subsidized at 100% with funds usually give back to the States.

-Adjust Social Security and private/public retirement and pension payments using 1970-2013 price structure. Remove the FICA limit.

-Make inversion illegal.

Can't be done.

Unconstitutional.

Nobody believes that the minimum wage can be raised to 20 bucks an hour legislatively.

The point of pointing out that that is where it should be if it had kept up with various indicators is to show that it is not irrational greed that is driving the push to increase the minimum wage.

btw, if the minimum wage had kept up with productivity gains, which is probably the fairest measure as far as justifying an increase,

it should be at the least, over 15 bucks an hour.

baker-2013-02-12.jpg

it tells us that prices are going to go up in those states and that the unemployment rate will also go up. Those who still have minimum wage jobs (29 hours/wk due to obamacare) will have a few more dollars, but those states will see their budgets go into the red paying unemployment claims.

but thats just fine, the people get what they vote for. Thats the way it should be.

Want to bet?

only $15 an hour?

Here's my plan.

-Make inversion illegal.

Can't be done.

Unconstitutional.

Nobody believes that the minimum wage can be raised to 20 bucks an hour legislatively.

The point of pointing out that that is where it should be if it had kept up with various indicators is to show that it is not irrational greed that is driving the push to increase the minimum wage.

btw, if the minimum wage had kept up with productivity gains, which is probably the fairest measure as far as justifying an increase,

baker-2013-02-12.jpg

Productivity is an average over multiple job types and levels of skill and education.

Linking the minimum wage to productivity using the average increase over the entire workforce is ridiculous.

Want to bet?

Yep, it happens every time, the CBO has predicted it, any intelligent economist knows it. But lets bet, say $5000?

only $15 an hour?

Here's my plan.

-Make inversion illegal.

Can't be done.

Unconstitutional.

baker-2013-02-12.jpg

Productivity is an average over multiple job types and levels of skill and education.

Linking the minimum wage to productivity using the average increase over the entire workforce is ridiculous.

everything carbon head says is ridiculous. he is a dem/lib tool, nothing more

The four red states that raised the minimum wage:

Arkansas, Nebraska, Alaska and South Dakota.

Just more evidence of how far out of touch the RWnuts on USMB are.

Actually it shows how out of touch you are. You believe that all Republicans are opposed to any minimum wage increase anywhere at any time, because that is what the left-wing hate machine has told you.

I have no issues with cities and states passing their own laws about it.

So the almost unanimous opposition to a minimum wage increase by the USMB Right that over the last many months has been in ample evidence,

almost always supported by the the claim that a minimum wage increase will cost jobs, has been ONLY against a federal minimum wage increase?

lol, good one.

Yes
That is what we have been saying to you.
How many times have you seen us say it is up to the States or it is a State issue.
It is a State issue and up to the voters to decide not the Federal Government.
That is how our Government is set up.
It gives the power to the people and it also will show the people if it works or if it doesn't work.
When the Fed forces the issues on all Sates, the voters are not able to see any of the differences in ideologies. It stops the freedom of the voices of the people.

I'm curious - for supporters of minimum wage laws - if you think minimum wage laws have a net positive effect, why not make them count? This question is almost always dodged, or ignored, but what do you all think would happen if we set a national minimum wage at say $20.00/hr? And lets skip past implementation issues, we can phase it in over several years, whatever you think makes sense. But how do you think it would pan out? Would low-wage workers really be better off?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back