🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Minimum wage is already “livable”

Only the Rich complain about Taxes.

So true! I live in an affluent area of town, where townhouses go for $800,000 to $ 1 million, and the liberal county board voted to place a homeless shelter, with lots of mentally ill men, just a few blocks away. Their reasoning? Why shouldn’t homeless get to live in a nice part of town, also?

(Of course, the liberals on the board live elsewhere in the county - the closest is 2 miles away from the homeless shelter.)
This happened only area as well. I can only imagine how those living literally next door feel paying much more rent for very similar housing. The two apartment complexes are on par with each other, right down to the swimming pools.

STOP DEFLECTING. This thread is about how minimum wage workers can have a livable lifestyle.
You're learning quickly....lolol...................Deflecting is their greatest skill, not living reality is another

This whole place is nothing but 1 huge deflection...lolol

So true! I live in an affluent area of town, where townhouses go for $800,000 to $ 1 million, and the liberal county board voted to place a homeless shelter, with lots of mentally ill men, just a few blocks away. Their reasoning? Why shouldn’t homeless get to live in a nice part of town, also?

(Of course, the liberals on the board live elsewhere in the county - the closest is 2 miles away from the homeless shelter.)
Yet, it is the right-wing who have the most problem with equal protection of the laws that could solve this dilemma in a market friendly manner. Go figure.

• Funny
Reactions: DBA
I keep hearing the left say that minimum wage, which is what the lowest 2% of Americans earn, needs to be increased to where it provides a “livable“ wage. The disconnect comes in what is considered livable - even for teens who barely squeaked through high school and have no job skills beyond that which can be taught to a middle schooler in half a day.

The left considers “livable” to be a middle class existence - a decent one-bedroom apartment, a car, a vacation. Where they miss is that is the level to which people should ASPIRE, and the desire to do so is what incentivizes one to get some vocational training (at a minimum).

To me, “livable” is how every member of my family lived when we were first starting out: either renting a room in someone’s house, or sharing a two- or three-bedroom apartment with others. I considered myself “living” doing that - I took the subway to work, did my job, bought groceries, and other basics.

And THAT is the lifestyle of someone right out of college, earning starting wages, or of a new high school graduate who has no real job skills to offer. In the case of the former, it will be temporary; in the case of the latter, it is rarely permanent as most people acquire job skills with experience.

Minimum wage is fine as it is.

The problem with raising minimum wage is companies have to pay more and when they do they raise their prices this negating the value of the raise they got. And when companies know minimum wage across the board goes up they know people are making more so they charge more.

If you want to make more money you need to work for it by going to school or getting experience. I started making very little as a maintenance guy, after almost 8 years of learning, doing more, taking more responsibility and showing I can do a lot I am now a building engineer and I make very good money.

But too many people, mostly kids and blacks, want skilled labor wages but only want to do unskilled labor jobs. They think they deserve a lot of money just for showing up and it hurts the entire system and in the end it hurts them as well. As inflation rises after a year or so all this extra money isn't worth as much and then they will be wanting more again.

Especially in alleged, Right-to-Work States?
I live in one of those states. What is the problem with it? My entire family has done well and haven't had issues with big, bad corporations. Maybe, just maybe, it isn't the corporations, but employees entitlement attitudes that are the problem?

I already gave you the answer. Equal protection of the laws that can solve simple poverty on an at-will basis in our at-will employment States.
Stop with that equal protection garbage you spew in every post. Equal protection does NOT mean the government has to elevate unskilled workers to the same level of lifestyle as that of educated professionals.

Minimum wage is already “livable”​

No, it's not. Unless you know someone who can live on $10,000 a year? Subsist, maybe, with the help of food stamps, section 8, homeless shelters and food banks, but not live.

And you're overlooking the fact that raising the minimum wage to $15.00 an hour wouldn't just raise wages for minimum $7.25 workers, but for everyone who.makes less than $15.00 an hour.

I live in one of those states. What is the problem with it? My entire family has done well and haven't had issues with big, bad corporations. Maybe, just maybe, it isn't the corporations, but employees entitlement attitudes that are the problem?
You have no basis to complain about those in poverty if they don't have an actual, Right-to-Work in a right to work State.

No, it's not. Unless you know someone who can live on $10,000 a year? Subsist, maybe, with the help of food stamps, section 8, homeless shelters and food banks, but not live.

And you're overlooking the fact that raising the minimum wage to $15.00 an hour wouldn't just raise wages for minimum $7.25 workers, but for everyone who.makes less than $15.00 an hour.
Some firms were providing information to their labor force on how to apply for social services instead of increasing wages.

From 1978 to 2018, CEO compensation grew by 1,007.5% (940.3% under the options-realized measure), far outstripping S&P stock market growth (706.7%) and the wage growth of very high earners (339.2%). In contrast, wages for the typical worker grew by just 11.9%.
Right-wingers are simply Tools.

Forum List

Back