Missouri man sentenced to 13 years but was never incarcerated now faces prison

| April 15, 2014 Man may go to prison 13 years after sentencing

A Missouri man may learn today whether he will finally be sent behind bars 13 years after being sentenced for armed robbery. Due to an apparent clerical error, he never served his sentence. NBC’s Joe Fryer reports.

(1) state's goof but

(2) if an accused is shot by the firing squad, he doesn't escape; the guards simply pour water down his throat until he strangles

(3) the man had 13 years of freedom and now he pays the price

The man should go to prison and serve his time. He should have inquired about his disposition regardless. He needs to pay the price for his action.

CaféAuLait;8945984 said:
I'm torn on this, seems he has made a great life for himself and turned his life around big time after armed robbery.

BUT we all know he knew he was supposed to be in jail, clerical errors happen a lot, people are human. Why is it only on the state to be at fault and not him as well for this mess?

It is absolutely not his fault he didn't serve the sentence.

And he completely turned his life around.

It's ridiculous to throw all that away.

I really am torn. He must have known he was supposed to be in jail, especially since his attorney arguing the was afraid they might come and get him at any second thusly making his sentence into 26 years because he lived in fear of being picked up for 13.

I think the state and he is at fault, perhaps there is some way to come to some middle ground? Probation with some community service?

Isn't this a great topic?

It causes nutters to twist themselves into knots. So many things in life are NOT black and white. Nuance..........circumstances..........context. They matter.........always.

It causes nutters to twist themselves into knots. So many things in life are NOT black and white. Nuance..........circumstances..........context. They matter.........always.

Fuck you. I am pleading for a mans life and it's a political game to you

Fuck you. I am pleading for a mans life and it's a political game to you

If I thought you were capable of being consistent with your take on issues like this, I might care.

I am also torn.

Any responsible, remorseful person would have inquired after being sentenced.

However, now he has children to raise.

UGHhhhhh

lol no, 13 years and 13 yrs.

n'er mind homey!!

cawwwfeeeeeee

Can we get an English translation for this please....

I can clear this up for you pretty easily.

My first post, before this one you quoted, originally said that the thread title was wrong that it was 13 years later not 13 years sentence.

But *both* were 13, and so I edited that original post and this post above was to say to nevermind mind that. The "lol, no." was to myself.

"Cawfeeeee" is coffee, I was dying which was my poor excuse for the mistake. :eusa_angel: see? it was all plain English I swear.

CaféAuLait;8946057 said:
CaféAuLait;8945984 said:
I'm torn on this, seems he has made a great life for himself and turned his life around big time after armed robbery.

BUT we all know he knew he was supposed to be in jail, clerical errors happen a lot, people are human. Why is it only on the state to be at fault and not him as well for this mess?

It is absolutely not his fault he didn't serve the sentence.

And he completely turned his life around.

It's ridiculous to throw all that away.

I really am torn. He must have known he was supposed to be in jail, especially since his attorney arguing the was afraid they might come and get him at any second thusly making his sentence into 26 years because he lived in fear of being picked up for 13.

I think the state and he is at fault, perhaps there is some way to come to some middle ground? Probation with some community service?

I'd be all for that.

The man should go to prison and serve his time. He should have inquired about his disposition regardless. He needs to pay the price for his action.

... And who is going to benefit from this?

That's a good point. Not unanswerable, the sanctity of the system has been hurt by the clerical error but could be preserved by issuing at least some form of penalty so that clerical errors in the future don't stop convicts from self-inspired inquiry on their sentence status.

I know they're typically not the best people in the world in the first place, but the world would be a better place if they were remorseful enough to actually bear their cross because they were tough enough in their mind to commit the crime.

He should do a year I'm thinking. It wouldn't completely crush his family and he also pays in a meaningful way for his crime.

He should do a year I'm thinking. It wouldn't completely crush his family and he also pays in a meaningful way for his crime.

He's running several businesses.

That would effectively kill them all.

I thought that a good amount of GOP Christians would think that it was a good thing that this man turned his life around.

Hell.....................they may have even made a movie about it showing how people can turn from sin and behave in a Godly way.

Why persecute someone who has obviously seen the error of their ways?

I'm serious..................why persecute the man who was doing wrong, but is now doing right?

I mean...............the person who has sinned (according to the Bible) and repented is held higher than those who have never sinned.

If you do bad....................cool..................get caught and serve your term. However.......if you do bad and because of some clerical error you remain free and become a decent citizen who pays taxes, does what they should and becomes a decent part of the system?

Let them remain free.

Well it is missouri, where a dwi from 25 years ago is the same if you got it last year.In fact, the DWI talley goes on for your life....

And, yet they give illegal aliens licenses and to renew your's, you must present a birth certificate, ssn and proof of residence.

Ok - then you need to see where the hypotheticals lead as for thr precedent youre setting.

Like -> same clerical error, but with a Rapist.

Now, Im not 100% on justice system knowledge so dont know if rapists are even free during trial - but this man also committed violent crime and was free so its a loose assumption on my part.

Well it is missouri, where a dwi from 25 years ago is the same if you got it last year.In fact, the DWI talley goes on for your life....

And, yet they give illegal aliens licenses and to renew your's, you must present a birth certificate, ssn and proof of residence.

Wtf DMV clerks have you been seeing?

They have a special line for illegals? I dont see one.

http://www.change.org/petitions/att...-cornealious-michael-anderson-iii-from-prison

QSbiYqHbeNQXIAi-556x313-noPad.jpg

Cornealious "Mike" Anderson is 36 years old, a married father of four, youth football coach, volunteer, homeowner and small business owner in St. Louis, Missouri. In 1999, he was arrested and later convicted of participating in a robbery of a Burger King manager. He was sentenced to 13 years in prison. He was released on bail while his appeals were pending, and after he lost his appeals, the State of Missouri simply forgot about him. They never told him to report to prison to serve his sentence.
When he was arrested, he was 22 years old, had no children, was not married, and did not own a home or a business.
From 1999 to 2013, he lived a law-abiding life, paid taxes, and worked to build a career as a carpenter. He never became a fugitive, tried to change his identity, or flee from justice. He had no further trouble with the law. He stayed right in St. Louis. He got married, had 4 children, built his own home in Missouri, and started several successful small businesses, including a contracting business. He volunteered at his church and coached his son's youth football team.

This is where they will say, "he should have turned himself in automatically since his appeals have been denied."

"GOP Christians would think that it was a good thing that this man turned his life around." They would. But he still has his sentence to serve.

Forum List

Back