Mitt Romney pays a lower tax rate than you do.

Actually Mitt and I pay the exact same tax rate on capital gains.

Its a bit dishonest to compare capital gains and employment income as they are taxed differently.

Thats the point. They shouldn't be because of situations like this.

So what do you propose as a solution?

Raise the capital gains to match the income tax with some sort of exemption for seniors who need that income for basic living needs. Something along those lines.

Raise the capital gains to match the income tax with some sort of exemption for seniors who need that income for basic living needs. Something along those lines.

Wouldn't the low income of said seniors take care of that problem anyway, if gains were taxed at the same rate as income?

I think where you could make an exception would be a be a reduced rate for capital gains that came from purely American investments.

You could have a sliding scale that measured how much of a company's workforce was inside the US, and base the cap gains rate on it.

That would keep the investment money in the US.

Wouldn't the low income of said seniors take care of that problem anyway, if gains were taxed at the same rate as income?

I think where you could make an exception would be a be a reduced rate for capital gains that came from purely American investments.

You could have a sliding scale that measured how much of a company's workforce was inside the US, and base the cap gains rate on it.

That would keep the investment money in the US.

Yeah all valid points. The point being that there is certainly some way this can be arranged to make sure it works properly.

it was already taxed once as income, now you want to double dip.

why cant you just admit it, you want to steal

Should be the same. If it's not, why isn't it? Fuck exceptions. It's what got us to this point.

Actually, if you make cap gains tax the same rate as income tax, you're right. Fuck em.

Someone needs to learn how capital gains taxes work. If you spent as much time educating yourself as you did learning the talking points you might actually be able to have an intelligent discussion.

If that's true then the obvious answer is to lower my, and everybody else's, tax rate. Preferably to 0.

Ummm no its not. You don't earn your income through capital gains, he does.

That's my point. You are trying to compare capital gains to income tax. it's not an honest comparison

Sure it is. You're just for some reason refusing to acknowledge the obvious.

By definition capital gains and earned income are not the same.

So until you get the definition changed you can't argue that they are indeed the same thing.

That's my point. You are trying to compare capital gains to income tax. it's not an honest comparison

Sure it is. You're just for some reason refusing to acknowledge the obvious.

By definition capital gains and earned income are not the same.

So until you get the definition changed you can't argue that they are indeed the same thing.

Oh I see, when all other arguments fail you start playing the semantics card. Be proud, you must be really confident in your positions.

Forum List

Back