Mnuchin pitches line-item veto: ‘Congress could pass a rule’

del

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2008
on a one way cul-de-sac

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin has urged lawmakers to give President Trump a line-item veto, saying on “Fox News Sunday” that it might prevent Democrats from stacking more nondefense discretionary spending into the next must-past budget bill.

But Mnuchin’s short exchange with Fox News anchor Chris Wallace also underlined the problem with the idea — a 20-year-old Supreme Court ruling that struck down the line-item veto, finding “no provision in the Constitution that authorizes the president to enact, to amend or to repeal statutes,” after President Bill Clinton used it 82 times.

“I think they should give the president a line-item veto,” said Mnuchin, echoing Trump’s comments after he signed last week’s omnibus budget bill.

That’s been ruled unconstitutional by the Supreme Court,” Wallace said.

“Well, again, Congress could pass a rule, okay, that allows them to do it,” Mnuchin said.

“It would be a constitutional amendment,” Wallace said.

“Chris, we don’t need to get into a debate,” the treasury secretary said.

only the best people

ha

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin has urged lawmakers to give President Trump a line-item veto, saying on “Fox News Sunday” that it might prevent Democrats from stacking more nondefense discretionary spending into the next must-past budget bill.

But Mnuchin’s short exchange with Fox News anchor Chris Wallace also underlined the problem with the idea — a 20-year-old Supreme Court ruling that struck down the line-item veto, finding “no provision in the Constitution that authorizes the president to enact, to amend or to repeal statutes,” after President Bill Clinton used it 82 times.

“I think they should give the president a line-item veto,” said Mnuchin, echoing Trump’s comments after he signed last week’s omnibus budget bill.

“Well, again, Congress could pass a rule, okay, that allows them to do it,” Mnuchin said.

only the best people

ha
a 20-year-old Supreme Court ruling that struck down the line-item veto, finding “no provision in the Constitution that authorizes the president to enact, to amend or to repeal statutes,” after President Bill Clinton used it 82 times....Congress could pass a rule, okay, that allows them to do it,” Mnuchin said.

What Mnuchin said: "Chris, we don’t need to get into a debate.
What was going through his mind: "Okay, you made clear my novelty and ignorance on the matter. New topic."

only the best people

ha
He is such a piece of shit. You know what that celebrated tax cut meant to me? $27. Twenty-fucking-seven dollars! That is my tax cut.

Fuck Trump. Fuck Mnuchin. And fuck everyone who defends them.

There should be a line Item veto for the next President.

Each rider would become a separate bill, I think.

Except they would never do that. That's why there was no separate DACA bill. If you're going to serve a bitter pill, you have to mix it up with something to make it palatable.

Except they would never do that. That's why there was no separate DACA bill. If you're going to serve a bitter pill, you have to mix it up with something to make it palatable.
I don't think we'll ever see a separate DACA bill because the dems and the gop in the Senate have given up trying to get Trump to stick to an agreed compromise. And there are probably 40-50 gop house members who would vote against it, and unless Trump got behind it, any goper voting aye would be opening themselves up for a primary.

Schumer withdraws offer for border wall - CNNPolitics

Analysis | Mitch McConnell's clear, passive-aggressive dig at Trump

Forum List

Back