More economic GOOD News...DOW hits new record..on track to hit 17K.

You are a lying sack of shit. The EPA filed suit against Monsanto in 1980. The Romney's delayed it for 23 years until Solutia was formed & spun off. Monsanto would have been bankrupt had they not paid Romney to get them out of that jam. The EPA & DNR only gave me 20 days to clean up after a devastating fire destroyed my business. Monsanto bought 23 years & only paid pennies on the dollar.

Comrade, at least TRY to be rational and support your claim. I'm no fan of Monsanto, but a Communist spewing shit that has already been proven full of distortions and outright lies, is hardly convincing.

Monsanto has monopoly pricing power. 93 Percent of U.S. soy grown from Monsanto patented GMO seeds. 80 Percent of U.S. corn grown from Monsanto patented GMO seeds. I have a 1.000 acre farm & when Monsanto raises their price, I have to pay it, because there is no excess seed sitting around from other companies that we can buy. At a July 2008 meeting, Monsanto officials announced plans to raise the average price of the company's triple-stack corn a whopping 35 percent. Fred Stokes of the U.S.-based Organization for Competitive Markets (OCM) describes the implications for farmers: "A $100 price increase is a tremendous drain on rural America. Let's say a farmer in Iowa who farms 1,000 acres plants one of these expensive corn varieties next year. The gross increased cost is more than $40,000. Yet there's no scientific basis to justify this price hike. How can we let companies get away with this?"

Did Mitt Romney Help Lake Michigan’s Polluters?
The EPA sued OMC in 1978, adding Monsanto as a defendant in 1980, but the cleanup effort was delayed for a dozen years, in part because OMC refused to allow EPA inspectors onto the site, even ones with a warrant. In 1986 a federal appeals court found that OMC and Monsanto “caused the PCB problem in the harbor,” “fought the government every possible inch of the way,” and were “a major reason why the PCB problem has not been resolved.”

Monsanto's net income in 1991 was only $296 million, $250 million less than the previous year. In 1997 Monsanto spins off its industrial chemical and fibers business into Solutia Inc. amid complaints and legal claims about pollution from its plants. Solutia was spun off from Monsanto as a way for Monsanto to divest itself of billions of dollars in environmental cleanup costs and other liabilities for its past actions - liabilities that eventually forced Solutia to seek Chapter 11 bankruptcy. According to a spokesman for Solutia, "(Monsanto) sort of cherry-picked what they wanted and threw in all kinds of cats and dogs as part of a going-away present," including $1 billion in debt and environmental and litigation costs. Some pre-bankruptcy Solutia equity holders allege Solutia was set up fraudulently as it was always doomed to fail under the financial weight of Monsanto's liabilities.

Through a process of mergers and spin-offs between 1997 and 2002, Monsanto made a transition from chemical giant to biotech giant. Monsanto's corporate strategy led them for the first time to acquire seed companies. Monsanto spent $10 billion globally buying up seed companies - a push that continues to this day. It has purchased, for example, Holden's Foundations Seeds, Seminis - the largest seed company not producing corn or soybeans in the world, the Dutch seed company De Ruiter Seeds, and the big cotton seed firm Delta & Pine. As a result, Monsanto is now the world's largest seed company, accounting for almost a quarter of the global proprietary seed market.

Last edited:
I realize there are people who don't understand market basics - like something as simple as "correction" - but here's a good piece:

Say hello to U.S. economy?s newest bubble - Irwin Kellner - MarketWatch

From the piece: This bull market has managed to avoid a correction for 33 months — far longer than average. And correction or no, the current bull market is the fourth-longest since the Crash of 1929.

10% would be good. 15% to 20% would be better.

Keep dreaming of correction that will not come during Obama's term. Even after the -2.9 GDP the S&P PEG ratio in only at 1.8, so there is still nothing to correct for. There will be no inflation shock & the FED will not raise rates at least until Obama is gone. Japan had our same market bubble & "Baby Boomer" retirement issue in 1990 & still has falling velocity of money today. They print money like crazy 24 years after their bubble burst & still can't cause much inflation.

Watch the USD-JPY

This is a fraud of a rebound and will pop just like a zit

Waiting for the hair

-Geaux

The Fed is Still Driving the Market if not the Economy

Thursday, June 19, 9:25 a.m.

The Fed demonstrated yesterday that it can still drive the stock market with optimistic projections.

Bank of England governor Carney warned a few days ago that the first interest rate hike “could happen sooner than markets currently expect”.

StreetSmartPost

Marc Faber: Stocks Could Crash 30% Because "Obama's A Very Poor President"

There is a colossal bubble in all asset prices and eventually it will burst," is the subtle recurring message from The Gloom, Boom, & Doom Report's Marc Faber, warnings that "maybe has begun to burst already." While Faber admits he has called for such a correction previously, he notes that the difference now is that "valuations are so much higher; and contrary to what the mainstream economists believe, I don't believe the global economy is strengthening; in fact I believe it is weakening." Furthermore, while "you never know what will trigger for a bull market or bear market is until after the fact," Faber offers 3 factors (aside from the Fed) that could trigger a 30% crash or more... beginning with "a) In The White House we have a very poor President - which will lead to political issues domestically in the US," which are not priced in.

Marc Faber: Stocks Could Crash 30% Because "Obama's A Very Poor President" | Zero Hedge

There is a colossal bubble in all asset prices and eventually it will burst," is the subtle recurring message from The Gloom, Boom, & Doom Report's Marc Faber, warnings that "maybe has begun to burst already." While Faber admits he has called for such a correction previously, he notes that the difference now is that "valuations are so much higher; and contrary to what the mainstream economists believe, I don't believe the global economy is strengthening; in fact I believe it is weakening." Furthermore, while "you never know what will trigger for a bull market or bear market is until after the fact," Faber offers 3 factors (aside from the Fed) that could trigger a 30% crash or more... beginning with "a) In The White House we have a very poor President - which will lead to political issues domestically in the US," which are not priced in.

Marc Faber: Stocks Could Crash 30% Because "Obama's A Very Poor President" | Zero Hedge

Okay.

So when is this going to happen?

Time wise.

Okay.

Time wise.

Indeed- The aged ole question. I don't trust it so sitting on cash

-Geaux

Okay.

Time wise.

Indeed- The aged ole question. I don't trust it so sitting on cash

-Geaux

:lol:

Question? What question..

:D

I realize there are people who don't understand market basics - like something as simple as "correction" - but here's a good piece:

From the piece: This bull market has managed to avoid a correction for 33 months — far longer than average. And correction or no, the current bull market is the fourth-longest since the Crash of 1929.

Keep dreaming of correction that will not come during Obama's term. Even after the -2.9 GDP the S&P PEG ratio in only at 1.8, so there is still nothing to correct for. There will be no inflation shock & the FED will not raise rates at least until Obama is gone. Japan had our same market bubble & "Baby Boomer" retirement issue in 1990 & still has falling velocity of money today. They print money like crazy 24 years after their bubble burst & still can't cause much inflation.

As I clearly pointed out in another post, the correction I'm hoping for his not about politics. I have also pointed out that corrections are an element of a bull market. I have also pointed out that they are a good thing. But I do realize that partisan ideologues just have to frame everything about politics, so knock yourself out.

The correction could happen over a couple of weeks in October and be done before November. Or it could happen in December, or not for a while.

I know this will sound crazy to someone like you, but some of us are not consumed by partisan politics.

Last edited:

As I clearly pointed out in another post, the correction I'm hoping for his not about politics. I have also pointed out that corrections are an element of a bull market. I have also pointed out that they are a good thing. But I do realize that partisan ideologues just have to frame everything about politics, so knock yourself out.

The correction could happen over a couple of weeks in October and be done before November. Or it could happen in December, or not for a while.

I know this will sound crazy to someone like you, but some of us are not consumed by partisan politics.

I mentioned Obama's term as a time & possible Fed chair & policy change point, not to be partisan. If you keep waiting for a 20% correction so you can get in to make money, it is a pipe-dream & you will be sidelined until at least after his term is up at which point the Dow may be above $20K.

I mentioned Obama's term as a time & possible Fed chair & policy change point, not to be partisan. If you keep waiting for a 20% correction so you can get in to make money, it is a pipe-dream & you will be sidelined until at least after his term is up at which point the Dow may be above $20K.

Wow, so much material to work with in so few words.
  • I'm not waiting for a 20% to invest my clients' funds. They're already invested, but I appreciate your concern. We adjust as we go, and a correction, again, would be a good thing.
  • Why, precisely, do you think a correction is a "pipe dream"? They're a regular part of a bull market, usually happen every year, year and a half, and are perfectly healthy. So you don't know that? I posted some data previously.
  • And speaking of "pipe dream", I'm amazed that you can predict the market's future like that. At least after Obama's term is up? I don't know when it will come, or how severe it will be, and I'm in the industry. If you don't run a hedge fund with market brilliance like that, holy crap, you should!
  • It's impossible for me to have a serious conversation with people who don't even understand the nature of market corrections.
Anything else?

Last edited:

• I'm not waiting for a 20% to invest my clients' funds. They're already invested, but I appreciate your concern. We adjust as we go, and a correction, again, would be a good thing.
  • Why, precisely, do you think a correction is a "pipe dream"? They're a regular part of a bull market, usually happen every year, year and a half, and are perfectly healthy. So you don't know that? I posted some data previously.
  • And speaking of "pipe dream", I'm amazed that you can predict the market's future like that. At least after Obama's term is up? I don't know when it will come, or how severe it will be, and I'm in the industry. If you don't run a hedge fund with market brilliance like that, holy crap, you should!
  • It's impossible for me to have a serious conversation with people who don't even understand the nature of market corrections.
Anything else?.

It's impossible for me to have a serious conversation with someone like you who believes the market must correct because it has avoided one for to long. Your Post> "This bull market has managed to avoid a correction for 33 months — far longer than average" :cuckoo: With market brilliance like that, holy crap, I hope you don't run a hedge fund.

You have no clue. The last 20% correction was because the Fed changed course. Where is the inflationary pressure that will force Janet Yellen to change course? The BOJ could not cause inflation in Japan, so what makes you think the Fed will cause inflation here forcing it to alter it's course? Gasoline, Corn, Farm Land, Gold, money velocity, are all going down. Plus we still have 10 million worker slack in the labor force. Where is the inflationary pressure?

fredgraph.png

Last edited:

Anything else?.

It's impossible for me to have a serious conversation with someone like you who believes the market must correct because it has avoided one for to long. Your Post> "This bull market has managed to avoid a correction for 33 months — far longer than average" :cuckoo: With market brilliance like that, holy crap, I hope you don't run a hedge fund.

You have no clue. The last 20% correction was because the Fed changed course. Where is the inflationary pressure that will force Janet Yellen to change course? The BOJ could not cause inflation in Japan, so what makes you think the Fed will cause inflation here forcing it to alter it's course? Gasoline, Corn, Farm Land, Gold, money velocity, are all going down. Where is the inflationary pressure?

First, perhaps you missed the part where I (clearly) said "I don't know when it will come or how severe it will be". It could be 5%, it could be 20%. It could happen tomorrow, it might not happen for a year. I pointed out that it could happen, and why. I made no predictions. Is there anything I can say to make that more clear for you?

Second, there are some underlying inflation pressures, I don't care whether you agree with that, but my guess right now is that we're not in for anything bad too soon.

However, third, this notion that only Fed action can cause a correction is ridiculous. A correction can happen for myriad reasons, or no particular reason. The market is both emotional and irrational.

Perhaps you can find a nice counterpart, a right-wing partisan ideologue, with whom you can have this silly slap fight. If you think you can predict with such certainty what the market is going to do or NOT do, and when, you deserve each other. I'm not interested. I pointed out history and data, pointed out that a correction would not be a surprise and would be a good thing, and you went goofy on me.

Last edited:
On timing;

This has worked for me; it might not for you.

My broker has standing instructions to sell 10% of any holding when it hits a 52 week high. Even if the highs come on consecutive days.

He is to reinvest one of those sell-offs each time the market for the previously sold fund hits a 52 week low.

Last time around I was 80% out when the market bottomed. This time I was all-in until about June 1 and now am about 20% (total) out. So far no buying of late.

On timing;

My broker has standing instructions to sell 10% of any holding when it hits a 52 week high. Even if the highs come on consecutive days.

He is to reinvest one of those sell-offs each time the market for the previously sold fund hits a 52 week low.

Last time around I was 80% out when the market bottomed. This time I was all-in until about June 1 and now am about 20% (total) out. So far no buying of late.

Wow Henry..

Sell high..buy low.

Would of thunk it?

This is what I was talking about Mac..

With SOME folks correction/crash are terms that are used interchangeably.

You see now?

[MENTION=34298]Mac1958[/MENTION]

On timing;

Wow Henry..

Sell high..buy low.

Would of thunk it?

Through over simplification you've missed the point.

It's the repetition of the actions that make it work. Let's say today hits a new high. Sell 10%. Tomorrow it's up again. Sell 10% of the remainder. This means that on the previous day a little money was left on the table but only in light of what happened today - that could not reasonably be foreseen.

But forget it....far too complicated for the minds of those whose welfare checks don't leave them money to invest.

Forum List

Back