More economic good news, unemployment rate drops to 8.6%

Because it's impossibe to do a full census every month. So, no, it's not possible to be more accurate.

Yes it is. Hard numbers. The Bureau of labor statistics has the net numbers every month.
I'm not sure what you mean by "net numbers." BLS uses a survey, the Current Population Survey conducted by the Census Bureau as the source of the Labor Force information.
The official Employment numbers come from the Current Employment Survey, a survey of non-farm business payrolls.

Yes, it means someone trying to get a job. Full time students, retirees, stay home spouses are not unemployed because they're not trying to work. Saying you hypothetically want a job even though you're not actually trying to get a job is not unemployed and isn't that useful.

And those that have timed out of their benefits? See how this works?

Those that timed out their benefits are still unemployed as far as the UE rate is concerned. The survey doesn't even ask about benefits. If you're lookng for work, you're unemployed...doesn't matter if you ever received benefits or ever had a job. Only half the people classified as unemployed are receiving benefits.

The bureau has real employments numbers. Not a survey. It is tracked through taxes.

It has hard numbers for every month.

It never has been, that's a fact. Why do you think otherwise? Do some simple fucking research...it's not that hard. I dare you...try and prove me wrong. You won't, though...if you look at all for the facts, which I doubt, and then you quickly find the UE rate comes from a monthly household survey, you'll just stay silent until next month when you talk out of your ass again.

Here, I'll help you: Current Population Survey (CPS) Main Page

Stop right there you are using a government link and it has already been suggested that the government cook the numbers.

We're not talking about the ACCURACY, right now, we're talking about the SOURCE. You're saying only people collecting UI benefits are counted. I'm saying that UI benefits aren't even a factor. So, government links saying how the numbers are derived. Now if you want to say they're manipulated AFTER they're collected, fine (though you'd be wrong). But FIRST, look at where the numbers come from.

Seriously, if you're claiming that the governtment only counts people receiving benefits but lies and says it comes from a survey, that would be seriously disturbed. And it would make no sense. DOL publishes UI benefits HERE Latest number for all programs 7,005,495
BLS publishes total Unemployment, used for the rate, HERE Latest number, 13,303,000

You're really going to claim the government is going to publish the # of people collecting, then the next day put out a number almost twice as high that's also the number of people collecting?

We're not talking about the ACCURACY

Well stupid isn't that what the argument is all about? The ACCURACY of the actual real numbers?

Yes it is. Hard numbers. The Bureau of labor statistics has the net numbers every month.
I'm not sure what you mean by "net numbers." BLS uses a survey, the Current Population Survey conducted by the Census Bureau as the source of the Labor Force information.
The official Employment numbers come from the Current Employment Survey, a survey of non-farm business payrolls.

And those that have timed out of their benefits? See how this works?

Those that timed out their benefits are still unemployed as far as the UE rate is concerned. The survey doesn't even ask about benefits. If you're lookng for work, you're unemployed...doesn't matter if you ever received benefits or ever had a job. Only half the people classified as unemployed are receiving benefits.

The bureau has real employments numbers. Not a survey. It is tracked through taxes.

I would LOVE to know where you got that notion. It's not true. Go to the BLS site yourself: How the government measures unemployment

Taxes don't tell demographics, unemployment status, etc.

Stop right there you are using a government link and it has already been suggested that the government cook the numbers.

We're not talking about the ACCURACY, right now, we're talking about the SOURCE. You're saying only people collecting UI benefits are counted. I'm saying that UI benefits aren't even a factor. So, government links saying how the numbers are derived. Now if you want to say they're manipulated AFTER they're collected, fine (though you'd be wrong). But FIRST, look at where the numbers come from.

Seriously, if you're claiming that the governtment only counts people receiving benefits but lies and says it comes from a survey, that would be seriously disturbed. And it would make no sense. DOL publishes UI benefits HERE Latest number for all programs 7,005,495
BLS publishes total Unemployment, used for the rate, HERE Latest number, 13,303,000

You're really going to claim the government is going to publish the # of people collecting, then the next day put out a number almost twice as high that's also the number of people collecting?

Well stupid isn't that what the argument is all about? The ACCURACY of the actual real numbers?
Not at this moment....right now we're talking about where the numbers come from. THEN we can talk about accuracy. But how the fuck can you talk about accuracy when you don't have the foggiest notion about how the numbers are calculated? Seriously. I love how you keep dodging that you were wrong.

Not at this moment....right now we're talking about where the numbers come from. THEN we can talk about accuracy. But how the fuck can you talk about accuracy when you don't have the foggiest notion about how the numbers are calculated? Seriously.

The accuracy is what we are arguing about. Move along.

I would LOVE to know where you got that notion. It's not true. Go to the BLS site yourself: How the government measures unemployment

I know how they measure it. I am talking about changing it.

I have participated in those surveys. It pissed me off. Time is money.....

Obviously you don't know how they measure it because you're wrong. And I note you don't even try to prove your false statements. I gave links.

And if you participated in a survey, then it's obviously NOT admin tax records.

Now, for the Current Employment Survey, where Employment (not unemployment) numbers come from...the universe for the survey is the UI tax list, and a full count of businesses is done once a year (it takes months to do) for the benchmark.

But it's still a monthly survey...and the UNemployment numbers can only come from a survey.

Not at this moment....right now we're talking about where the numbers come from. THEN we can talk about accuracy. But how the fuck can you talk about accuracy when you don't have the foggiest notion about how the numbers are calculated? Seriously.

Ok, let's talk about accuracy.... Please explain, with links and sources, how the numbers actually are (not how you think they are) calculated and where the problems with accuracy are.

Obviously you don't know how they measure it because you're wrong. And I note you don't even try to prove your false statements. I gave links.

Now, for the Current Employment Survey, where Employment (not unemployment) numbers come from...the universe for the survey is the UI tax list, and a full count of businesses is done once a year (it takes months to do) for the benchmark.

But it's still a monthly survey...and the UNemployment numbers can only come from a survey.

Never mind you are desperately confused. I know where they come from thats part of the problem.

But dont let the obvious concern you.

Never mind you are desperately confused. I know where they come from thats part of the problem.

I do this for a living, dumbass. I regularly meet with the people who do the calculations. So stop talking out of your ass, do some research and you'll see you're wrong.

I mean come on! How the fuck can tax records give monthly numbers for veteran status, disability, hours of work, industry, reason for unemployment, duration of unemployment, education, reason for not looking for work, etc etc? It doesn't even make sense. It's not possible to come up with the UNemployment numbers from tax records.

Again, READ! How the government measures unemployment
the Government conducts a monthly sample survey called the Current Population Survey (CPS) to measure the extent of unemployment in the country. The CPS has been conducted in the United States every month since 1940, when it began as a Work Projects Administration project. It has been expanded and modified several times since then.

Last edited:

I do this for a living, dumbass. I regularly meet with the people who do the calculations. So stop talking out of your ass, do some research and you'll see you're wrong.

I mean come on! How the fuck can tax records give monthly numbers for veteran status, disability, hours of work, industry, reason for unemployment, duration of unemployment, education, reason for not looking for work, etc etc? It doesn't even make sense. It's not possible to come up with the UNemployment numbers from tax records.

Great I suggested changing the system and you say you cant.

But Oh yes you can.

Figure that out yet?

This should be interesting...explain EXACTLY what you would change and how.

Ok, let's talk about accuracy.... Please explain, with links and sources, how the numbers actually are (not how you think they are) calculated and where the problems with accuracy are.

I know that the numbers the government gives out are wrong it has been shown that the government does cook the books I don't have any links and not even going to look for any. You can believe the bullshit all you want I believe what's around me and with what I have to deal with on a day to day basis

First explain how it has changed at least twice in my lifetime since it cant be changed?

First explain how it has changed at least twice in my lifetime since it cant be changed?

Where did I say it can't be changed? But it hasn't been changed at least twice in your lifetime...the UE rate has been a survey since 1940 and wasn't regularly collected at all before then...one attempt in 1930 and one in 1936.

The Employment numbers have been from the same survey since 1913.

Yes, there have been modifications and shanges, but they've both always been surveys.

Forum List

Back