🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Morgan Freeman on Oscars Diversity: It Starts With Industry, Not the Academy

aaronleland

Diamond Member
May 19, 2012

What do you make of this year’s #OscarsSoWhite controversy?
I can understand why the noise came up. But to me, it’s just noise. If we’re going to talk about diversity in the film industry, we don’t need to start with the Academy Awards. We need to start somewhere way back — with the producers, the directors, the casting agents, the writers. It should be an open field. I think in today’s world, if you look out there, that’s what would reflect today’s America.

Is Hollywood getting better or worse when it comes to diversity?
Of course it’s getting better. Don’t look at the few movies we make nowadays. Look at television, where you’re resting in your living room every night. It’s full of diversity. That reflects Hollywood.

But there’s a feeling that movies should also reflect that.
It depends on who is writing them and what story they want to tell.

One of the most prominent black actors in the history of Hollywood calls the Oscar controversy "just noise". :clap:

He has to. He is Hollywood. He doesn't wanna belong to something racist.

This is a hard truth. But white actors sell more tickets in general. It's just a fact. A few superstar exceptions like Halle and Denzel or Will Smith of course. But...they are also world class actors, absolute perfectionists at their skill so they are that good. The Tom Bradys of their profession.

But in general....white actors sell.more tickets.

I can understand why the noise came up. But to me, it’s just noise. If we’re going to talk about diversity in the film industry, we don’t need to start with the Academy Awards. We need to start somewhere way back — with the producers, the directors, the casting agents, the writers. It should be an open field. I think in today’s world, if you look out there, that’s what would reflect today’s America.

Of course it’s getting better. Don’t look at the few movies we make nowadays. Look at television, where you’re resting in your living room every night. It’s full of diversity. That reflects Hollywood.

One of the most prominent black actors in the history of Hollywood calls the Oscar controversy "just noise". :clap:
It is just noise. Complaining about old white men not appreciating Black actors has to be one of the bigger disappointments I have had this year.

He has to. He is Hollywood. He doesn't wanna belong to something racist.

This is a hard truth. But white actors sell more tickets in general. It's just a fact. A few superstar exceptions like Halle and Denzel or Will Smith of course. But...they are also world class actors, absolute perfectionists at their skill so they are that good. The Tom Bradys of their profession.

But in general....white actors sell.more tickets.

They don't sell more tickets just because they are better actors though. They represent a much larger portion of the population. There are many talented black actors. People tend to gravitate towards things they can better identify with. Not many white people are watching BET, and not many black people are watching CMT.

It is just noise. Complaining about old white men not appreciating Black actors has to be one of the bigger disappointments I have had this year.
Face it, black people need our approval. You guys have to earn it though.

Seriously, all these whining black actors are making millions of dollars a year, and white people of moderate means are contributing that by seeing their movies.

Try being a little more grateful to your fans, and stop calling us racists.

Freeman seems to do OK for himself and it doesn't look like he is willing to fund any diverse projects out of his own pocket any time soon. Aren't there enough bad movies in the mix these days? Why should the movie industry be forced to risk it's profit margin on a broad undefined concept like "diversity"?

Last edited:
There is no other country on Earth where a black entertainer can make as much money as the United States of America.

I found it funny that he mentioned being chosen to play Red in the Shawshank Redemption towards the end of the interview. In the book he was called Red because he was an Irish guy with red hair. He took a white guy's role. :lol:

Cripes, just nominate only blacks, make them and the PC Police happy, who cares.

Competitive awards for art is lame, anyway.

Freeman is all over the place on the science channel even though he has no background in science. Good for him but why not give up the extra ten million a year and let a guy (a Black guy?) with a real PHD earn a buck by narrating the series?

Hey, here's another idea:

If a white person wins an Oscar, they have the choice to give it up and name a black person to receive it.

I'm sure most of them would do that in a minute, because they care 'n stuff.

All kinds of possibilities here.

Someday they will invent a magic wish machine that any black person can use to turn himself white.

Until then, we will have to put up with this whining and complaining, even from blacks who make millions of dollars given to them from white fans who are barely making a living in these hard times.

I agree...Blacks need to work hard and earn their way into more movies and make more movies. ;)

Freeman is all over the place on the science channel even though he has no background in science. Good for him but why not give up the extra ten million a year and let a guy (a Black guy?) with a real PHD earn a buck by narrating the series?

I think Neil DeGrasse Tyson is still the go-to black guy for science shows. :D

Seriously, all these whining black actors are making millions of dollars a year, and white people of moderate means are contributing that by seeing their movies.

Try being a little more grateful to your fans, and stop calling us racists.
They werent calling you racist. They were calling the old white guys that do the voting racists.

Someday they will invent a magic wish machine that any black person can use to turn himself white.

Until then, we will have to put up with this whining and complaining, even from blacks who make millions of dollars given to them from white fans who are barely making a living in these hard times.
No one would use that machine. Hell. White people dont even want to be white.

Atticus_and_Tom_Robinson_in_court.gif

Forum List

Back