Mormon Church finally admits Joseph Smith had 40 wives

I would like to hear the official Mormon explanation for why Joseph Smith married women who were already married.

Explain that to me, to my satisfaction, and I will convert to Mormonism.
We don't want you if you do not believe in the tenants of the religion. If you want to learn them and make an informed choice I am sure one of us can arrange for Missionaries to contact you.

Don't do it! You'll never get rid of them!

sure you can. Ask them not to return. They have people who will listen to them and won't waste their time. If you want to remain ignorant, you can.

the question is why are you so afraid to learn?
You missed it, she claims she was in the church if I recall right.

I would like to hear the official Mormon explanation for why Joseph Smith married women who were already married.

We don't want you if you do not believe in the tenants of the religion. If you want to learn them and make an informed choice I am sure one of us can arrange for Missionaries to contact you.

Wrong Missionaries leave anyone that asks them to leave them alone. Keep lying you do such a great job of it.

You're right. I should have added an "LOL" or a smiley face. I had some nice young Mormon boys come to my home at the beginning of summer. I let them know that I'm an atheist right off the bat. They asked me if I had any questions, which I did, and they answered all of my questions then gave me the Book of Mormon.

After they showed up two more times, both at inconvenient times, I asked to be removed from their visiting list. They were very polite and have not bothered me since.

It was the Jehovah Witness group that showed up in a van, blocking my driveway so I couldn't even park my car, that was the last straw. I made a sign saying "No Religious Solicitation" and taped it to my front door.

Now I'm not bothered by any religious groups. :banana:

sure you can. Ask them not to return. They have people who will listen to them and won't waste their time. If you want to remain ignorant, you can.

They seemed thrilled that I had questions....as if that doesn't happen often.

Huh? Why would I be in a church?

I'm sure I can talk circles around any of your missionaries, who are all boys just barely out of high school.

What does an 18-year-old boy know about the world that he can teach a 49-year-old man?

If you send one of these pups to my home, I will convert him to Catholicism.

about the world? Probably nothing.

but they aren't there to teach you about the world. They are there to teach you about Jesus Christ. They are there to testify to the doctrine of Christ and the restoration of the Gospel in the latter days. And as they testify the Holy Spirit will bear record to you in power that what they are teaching is true.

you see it's not the missionaries that convert people. It's the Spirit. The Lord has said He will use the weak and foolish of the world to thrash the nations with His Spirit. He uses the simple and foolish to confound the wise.

it may seem odd, but that's how God work. When he called the twelve during His life, He didn't call wise and sophisticated people according to worldly standards. He called humble fishermen to be His standard bearers and to confound the wise and learned men of the world. And they did so with the Holy Spirit.

Invite the missionaries into your home. Listen to their message with an open heart. Read the Book of Mormon. It will only strengthen your relationship with Christ. You will never regret it

Must have you confused with someone else, it happens. But since you claim you are not affiliated ever with the Church where exactly do you get all this supposed claims from against the church?

I will talk to your Mormon missionaries. PM me with a date and time. I will PM you my address and telephone number.

Please have them come on Saturday, that is my day off. Send them in the morning, because I plan to take all day.

By the end of the day, you will either have a new convert to Mormonism, or you will have two broken missionaries.

I doubt it makes much difference to members or non-members, but it may dampen some of the 'Mohammed was a paedopshile' acusations some people like to throw around.
Mohammed was a pedophile. A 14 year old girl was of marriageable age back in the 1830s frontier. Girls that age, while not really women, were certainly not prepubescent children.
Fourteen ain't eight.

Must have you confused with someone else, it happens. But since you claim you are not affiliated ever with the Church where exactly do you get all this supposed claims from against the church?

I've done quite a bit of reading about Mormons. I'm not sure why I'm so fascinated with it. I'll have to give that one some thought.

To Avatar, and any other Mormons on this thread

Please don't get offended by what I am going to say.

Some of us refuse to read the book of Mormons out of fear that we might get brain washed. Yes, I think it is very potent Brain wash!

You seem like good decent people. But the fact remains that there is something quirky about the history of your religion, some of its claims--and prophet Joseph Smith!!

Especially, Joseph Smith.
Is that his real name?

See how suspicious I am of Mormonism?

My instincts are screaming "No" to reading it.

I will read the Book of Mormon. I will buy a copy tomorrow. I will read it cover to cover. Then I will read the official Mormon websites. I will do a thorough research on Mormonism.

However, you're still going to have to explain why Joseph Smith married 40 women, some of whom were already married. That's a big stumbling block for me, because it sounds like Smith was a very immoral man.

Some of us refuse to read the book of Mormons out of fear that we might get brain washed. Yes, I think it is very potent Brain wash!

You seem like good decent people. But the fact remains that there is something quirky about the history of your religion, some of its claims--and prophet Joseph Smith!!

Is that his real name?

I read it.

I kept asking, "Where is the archaeological evidence to support this?"

Anybody got a clue.

It didn't inspire me one bit.

Since the publication of the Book of Mormon in 1830, both Latter-day Saint (LDS or Mormons) and non-Mormon archaeologists have studied its claims in reference to known archaeological evidence. Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) and other denominations of the Latter Day Saint movement generally believe that the Book of Mormon describes ancient historical events in the Americas, but mainstream historians and archaeologists do not regard the Book of Mormon as a work of ancient American history.

The Book of Mormon describes God's dealings with three heavily populated, literate, and advanced[1] civilizations in the Americas over the course of several hundred years. The book primarily deals with the Nephites and the Lamanites, who it claims existed in the Americas from about 600 BC to about AD 400. It also deals with the rise and fall of the Jaredite nation, which the Book of Mormon claims came from the Old World shortly after the confounding of the languages at the Tower of Babel.

Some Mormon archaeologists and researchers claim various archaeological findings such as place names, and ruins of the Inca,Maya, Olmec, and other ancient American and Old World civilizations as giving credence to the Book of Mormon record.[2]Mainstream archaeologists disagree with these conclusions, arguing that the Book of Mormon mentions several animals, plants, and technologies that are not substantiated by the archaeological record between 3100 BC to 400 AD in America,[3][4][5][6] including theass,[7] cattle,[8] horses, oxen, domesticated sheep, swine,[9] goats,[10] elephants,[11] wheat,[12] barley,[13] silk,[14] steel,[15] swords,[11]scimitars, chariots[16] and other elements. Further, scientists note that genetic studies show that Amerind peoples are most likely of Asiatic origin,[17] which conflicts with the Book of Mormon account of their ancestry. Mormon archaeologists deal with the genetics problem in a variety of ways.

Archaeology and the Book of Mormon - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Is that his real name?

I read it.

I kept asking, "Where is the archaeological evidence to support this?"

Anybody got a clue.

It didn't inspire me one bit.
My favorite part is when Brigham Young wrestled the bear and fell out of the temple window into the great salt lake. Had a moral to it just like bible stories

You understand that in the 1800's that men and women were married as young as 14 all the time right?
Are you saying that just because in the 1800's adult men married young female children that makes it right?
In the early 1800's women were 14 and got married regularly. They were not considered children.

I think you are missing the point: 1800 AD was not 1800 BC. Joseph Smith was assembling a concubine under the guise of spiritual guidance. If "plural marriage" was a commandment then, how can it be a sin now? If modern day elders can do away with the proscription against black "priests" and other absurdities, why can't they convene a "Council of Nicaea" and reorganize/edit the Book of Mormon as a credible addition to the Bible?

if Abraham offering his son Isaac was good then, why is it a sin if we offer our children up to be sacrificed?

if following the law of Moses was good before Christ why is it bad now?

why is it good for our children to have a cookie sometimes and they would get in trouble for taking one without permission.

God commands and revokes commands at His pleasure and according to His wisdom. If He says build an ark, we will build an ark. If He says dont build one we wont. If He says marry many and raise a posterity to Him, it's good. If He says cease and we continue that's bad.

the question is do we follow God as He speaks of do we try to silence Him

So, if God told you to sacrifice your children tomorrow, you would do it?

Jesus was the perfect, final sacrifice; so this question is obselete.

Forum List

Back