Mormon girl comes out as gay in church. The church cuts her mic...

Mormon church leaders cut microphone after young girl announces she's gay

SALT LAKE CITY -- A video of a young Mormon girl revealing to her congregation that she is lesbian and still loved by God -- before her microphone is turned off by local church leaders -- is sparking a new round of discussions about how the religion handles LGBT issues.

Savannah, 13, spoke on May 7 in Eagle Mountain, Utah, about her belief that she is the child of heavenly parents who didn't make any mistakes when she was created. Her comments came during a once-a-month portion of Mormon Sunday services where members are encouraged to share feelings and beliefs.

"They did not mess up when they gave me freckles or when they made me to be gay," she said, wearing a white shirt and red tie. "God loves me just this way."

Her act shows bravery while her church shows cowardice.
Actually she shows stupidity and an extremely anti-social attitude, possibly unstable attitude.

If she doesn't want to follow the doctrine of her church she's free to quit and join another.

Nope. Instead she makes a specticle of herself.

I didn't agree with the LDS church doctrine because of their stance on race and mixed marriages, so I left the church. I didn't go out and say fuck you to the congregation. I just stopped attending.

SALT LAKE CITY -- A video of a young Mormon girl revealing to her congregation that she is lesbian and still loved by God -- before her microphone is turned off by local church leaders -- is sparking a new round of discussions about how the religion handles LGBT issues.

Savannah, 13, spoke on May 7 in Eagle Mountain, Utah, about her belief that she is the child of heavenly parents who didn't make any mistakes when she was created. Her comments came during a once-a-month portion of Mormon Sunday services where members are encouraged to share feelings and beliefs.

"They did not mess up when they gave me freckles or when they made me to be gay," she said, wearing a white shirt and red tie. "God loves me just this way."

Actually she shows stupidity and an extremely anti-social attitude, possibly unstable attitude.

If she doesn't want to follow the doctrine of her church she's free to quit and join another.

I didn't agree with the LDS church doctrine because of their stance on race and mixed marriages, so I left the church. I didn't go out and say fuck you to the congregation. I just stopped attending.

According to JoeB, you can't just walk away like that. He claims the Mormons will keep coming after you. Is that true?

According to JoeB, you can't just walk away like that. He claims the Mormons will keep coming after you. Is that true?
Yes....but not if they excommunicate you.

They follow me everywhere I move and show up on my doorstep. I just tell them I'm not interested in coming back. I'm always polite about it.

Yes....but not if they excommunicate you.

They follow me everywhere I move and show up on my doorstep. I just tell them I'm not interested in coming back. I'm always polite about it.

Interesting, the church I left calls on me once or twice a year to see how I am doing, the conversation lasts a few minutes and then they leave. Always a polite, nice conversation. No big deal.

no one owns a religion any member has the right to improve or change the doctrine for the better or (worse) we all live on the same planet - leaving the congregation is not the solution for everyone.

no one owns a religion any member has the right to improve or change the doctrine for the better or (worse) we all live on the same planet - leaving the congregation is not the solution for everyone.

Any member has the right to change the church doctrine? Sounds like chaos.

yes, any member even a 13 year old - otherwise your train of thought is why history repeats itself and for past history that has meant war, repression and famine etc. ... fear of change is chaos repeating itself.

yes, any member even a 13 year old - otherwise your train of thought is why history repeats itself and for past history that has meant war, repression and famine etc. ... fear of change is chaos repeating itself.

So she decides church doctrine should include gays and another member decided church doctrine should not allow gays, then who's doctrine do you follow? That seems like a recipe for no religion and people do whatever the hell they want. That isn't religion.

What is wrong with religion forming a set of values and if you don't like the values, leave or never join them.

So she decides church doctrine should include gays and another member decided church doctrine should not allow gays, then who's doctrine do you follow? That seems like a recipe for no religion and people do whatever the hell they want. That isn't religion.

What is wrong with religion forming a set of values and if you don't like the values, leave or never join them.
obviously there is a difference in who and what is responsible for their own disposition ...

"forming" is in the eye of the beholder - what was wrong with the 13 year old member they needed to silence her speech without letting her complete her testimonial they were unable to tolerate. - - their own insecurity is a pathetic answer.

So, should a church follow the doctrines and teachings of God, handed down through his designated prophets, or should it pander to the whims of fallible mortals, seeking approval for their defiance against God's word?

It sounds like you prefer the latter.

Not really. That's a personal decision, about a private issue, and an entire congregation of people doesn't really need to know, let alone in a church, where that's generally frowned upon. Either she lacked foresight, or was trying to cause problems in the first place. Besides that, society is, these days, totally indifferent to a person's sexuality, so coming out of the closet no longer takes any conviction.

Except, again, the "Lie Daily Suckers" are the most homophobic church out there, so maybe they needed someone to "cause problems" for them.
In which case, she would have gotten exactly what she wanted and has nothing to complain over.

obviously there is a difference in who and what is responsible for their own disposition ...

"forming" is in the eye of the beholder - what was wrong with the 13 year old member they needed to silence her speech without letting her complete her testimonial they were unable to tolerate. - - their own insecurity is a pathetic answer.

The church is an organization with set values, if you don't agree with the values, then leave the church. It isn't rocket science, one person doesn't make rules and everyone else should follow, there is a committee, I would imagine that discusses policies and acceptable and unacceptable behavior. Those that join the Mormon Church agree to abide by them. This 13 year old girl doesn't want to abide by the policies and behaviors of the church, she is free to leave the church.

If an employee that wanted more money and different hours, and not abide by the companies work standards, he won't have a job for long.

It is pretty easy, the church does not have to accept gays or conform to one person's whims, if you don't like the concept, leave the Mormons and not comeback, no harm, no foul.

The church is an organization with set values, if you don't agree with the values, then leave the church. It isn't rocket science, one person doesn't make rules and everyone else should follow, there is a committee, I would imagine that discusses policies and acceptable and unacceptable behavior. Those that join the Mormon Church agree to abide by them. This 13 year old girl doesn't want to abide by the policies and behaviors of the church, she is free to leave the church.

If an employee that wanted more money and different hours, and not abide by the companies work standards, he won't have a job for long.

It is pretty easy, the church does not have to accept gays or conform to one person's whims, if you don't like the concept, leave the Mormons and not comeback, no harm, no foul.
This 13 year old girl doesn't want to abide by the policies and behaviors of the church, she is free to leave the church.

th

your threats are not without merit ... whether a member or not.

Threat? What threat, the ability to make a choice is now a threat? You are really losin

This 13 year old girl doesn't want to abide by the policies and behaviors of the church, she is free to leave the church.

th

th

What the heck? What threat did I make? You have a choice, stay with a church you don't agree with morally or leave and find one that agrees with you or just leave religion altogether. No threat, it is all your choice. the fact you don't like what a religion teaches is not the fault of the religion.

Threat? What threat, the ability to make a choice is now a threat? You are really losin

th

th

What the heck? What threat did I make? You have a choice, stay with a church you don't agree with morally or leave and find one that agrees with you or just leave religion altogether. No threat, it is all your choice. the fact you don't like what a religion teaches is not the fault of the religion.

th

history is not your friend ... for the truth anyway.

th

th

th

history is not your friend ... for the truth anyway.

You said I made a threat (your threats are not without merit) and I said I didn't and you come up with a picture. What was my threat?

What an idiot, you aren't changing your mind, I'm not changing my mind, there are no new arguments that either has brought to the table and you want to continue to argue? Over what? You are a moron Joe.

If you have something new present it or prove that going back and forth is productive. Now, we know why you keep losing jobs.

Yeah... clearly losing a job once a decade during the worst economic recession in 80 years is a sign of a character flaw.

Oh, in case you haven't figured it out, the point is to get under your skin and make you dance.

Forum List

Back