MSNBC: Your Kids Don't Belong To You, They Belong To The Community

Wow, I'm seeing a straw man argument here, about the size of freakin' Buick.

Here's what she says:

“We have never invested as much in public education as we should have because we've always had kind of a private notion of children. Your kid is yours and totally your responsibility. We haven't had a very collective notion of these are our children. So part of it is we have to break through our kind of private idea that kids belong to their parents, or kids belong to their families, and recognize that kids belong to whole communities.”

Does anyone see the word "care", or the phrase "caring for your fellow man" in that statement?

Anyone?

I do, however, see the following:

The word "responsibility".

The phrase "we have to break through our kind of private idea that kids belong to their parents, or kids belong to their families, and recognize that kids belong to whole communities.”

So, again, this is not about "caring", and I'd challenge the apologists to ditch that straw man argument. This is about the responsibility of parenting, and not being so quick to hand that responsibility off to The Collective.

Let's drop the straw man arguments and try a little intellectual honesty.

th

Where was that phrase again? "Your kids do not belong to you"?

To think and NOT care is to be half human

I support your "real thinking means caring" approach 100%.

And I'm not sure this reporter intended to be taken the way she was. But her wording triggered a concern among many that the domain of parents is being encroached upon. I believe that there is some justification for that concern because it seems that there are those who would gladly circumvent parents because they think the parents are making stupid decisions - not dangerous decisions which I can understand - but decisions that I believe should be within a parents domain.

I may shake my head over some of the parenting and some of the things these parents are passing along to their children - but I do believe that parents should be free to raise their children as THEY see fit. (As long as they are not abusive, or harmfully neglegent).

As a parent, I welcome the support and assistance of others - as long as they respect the fact that I'm the parent.

there is no need for concern in what she says unless you take the extra pains to purposefully try to misunderstand her.

haters will hate.

She is a decent woman even uif all the right can see is her black skin and braids.

She is well educated and a very warm and caring human being if you ever gave her enough time of the day to actaully listen to her.

Those who found evil in what she said has try to throw away all her good intentions and create evil out of caring for their fellow human beings

Thank you for the courtesy of a more thoughtful response. And yes, I do believe that there are plenty of folks who wield faux indignation like a political bludgeon. But I can see where her statements were worded in a way that could cause concern.

I do believe that there are those who believe their political opponents shouldn't be allowed to raise their children in a way that makes it more likely for them to share their parents political views.

Last edited:

Here's what she says:

“We have never invested as much in public education as we should have because we've always had kind of a private notion of children. Your kid is yours and totally your responsibility. We haven't had a very collective notion of these are our children. So part of it is we have to break through our kind of private idea that kids belong to their parents, or kids belong to their families, and recognize that kids belong to whole communities.”

Does anyone see the word "care", or the phrase "caring for your fellow man" in that statement?

Anyone?

The phrase "we have to break through our kind of private idea that kids belong to their parents, or kids belong to their families, and recognize that kids belong to whole communities.”

So, again, this is not about "caring", and I'd challenge the apologists to ditch that straw man argument. This is about the responsibility of parenting, and not being so quick to hand that responsibility off to The Collective.

th

Dunno. Ask someone who's claiming that.

So, we're all going to drop the straw men, yes?

Pot meet kettle.

Virtually every post from you is an insult to someone, you are just have a spectacular lack of self awareness.

...and agin you avoided the questions....coward.

no matter what insults and attempts at demonizing people will change the fact that your party is the party of sociopathy.

Your party finds endless reasons NOT to help their fellow Americans

Here's what she says:

Anyone?

th

Dunno. Ask someone who's claiming that.

So, we're all going to drop the straw men, yes?

No straw man...its the title of the thread and 50% of the conservative posts on this thread

However, you are correct....It is not a strawman, it is an outright lie

Harris- Perry was in fact, naive for saying what she said

She should have expanded her statement to include every possible mis-interpretation that conservatives could have come up with. She needs to understand that the simplistic conservative audience takes things out of context and literally

Red meat to conservatives

Communities should care about children= Gubmint wants to take my kids

It's about putting more money into education, rather than letting the country go to hell under Reaganism and Voodoo- see sig pp1, ya GD brainwashed tools of the greedy idiot rich....

"Reaganism" rescued the United States from the collapse liberalism and Jimmy Carter created. But I wouldn't expect an envious, hateful, Cuban-communist like to acknowledge reality.

Nice attempt to rewrite history. Carter appointed Volker who turned the economy around in the early 80's. Reagan did not combat the 1981-1982 deep recession by cutting government or the deficit.

This is what you get from sociopaths.

You get lies concocted to get them what they want.

Its time for this country to face the republican party has a base that lies about EVERYTHING.

pretending its not true just to be polite is suicidal

If you haven't seen this new commercial from MSNBC, then you must watch it now.

In a new Lean Forward ad, Melissa Harris-Perry tells you that your kids don't belong to you, but they belong to the community. Ridiculous.

See the video at Cameron Harris: MSNBC: Your Kids Don't Belong To You, They Belong To The Community

Melissa Harris-Perry Responds To Rush Limbaugh, Sarah Palin

Melissa Harris-Perry penned an in-depth response to her critics on Tuesday, saying that she has "no intention of apologizing" for her ad.

In a blog post, she said that she received "hateful, personal attacks" after conservatives targeted an MSNBC ad in which she said that "kids belong to whole communities." She went on to defend what she called an "uncontroversial comment," and called out her critics.

"Allow me to double down," Harris-Perry began. "I have no intention of apologizing for saying that our children, all of our children, are part of more than our households, they are part of our communities and deserve to have the care, attention, resources, respect and opportunities of those communities."

She wrote that she has "no designs on taking your children," adding, "That is not what I was talking about, and you know it."

Again, the racist, bigoted right, lies and distorts, and then feigns outrage to sway opinions. Irresponsible and reckless.

That underlined part... Isn't what she said in the video. She just changed her claim, had she said that, their wouldn't be an issue. She didn't she said our kids aren't our kids, they are societies kids...

Shes a coward as well as a moron...

In a new Lean Forward ad, Melissa Harris-Perry tells you that your kids don't belong to you, but they belong to the community. Ridiculous.

See the video at Cameron Harris: MSNBC: Your Kids Don't Belong To You, They Belong To The Community

Melissa Harris-Perry penned an in-depth response to her critics on Tuesday, saying that she has "no intention of apologizing" for her ad.

In a blog post, she said that she received "hateful, personal attacks" after conservatives targeted an MSNBC ad in which she said that "kids belong to whole communities." She went on to defend what she called an "uncontroversial comment," and called out her critics.

"Allow me to double down," Harris-Perry began. "I have no intention of apologizing for saying that our children, all of our children, are part of more than our households, they are part of our communities and deserve to have the care, attention, resources, respect and opportunities of those communities."

She wrote that she has "no designs on taking your children," adding, "That is not what I was talking about, and you know it."

Again, the racist, bigoted right, lies and distorts, and then feigns outrage to sway opinions. Irresponsible and reckless.

That underlined part... Isn't what she said in the video. She just changed her claim, had she said that, their wouldn't be an issue. She didn't she said our kids aren't our kids, they are societies kids...

And she has a show, and you don't. LOL

She has to realize that when talking to Conservatives you have to assume you are dealing with a four year old. Take nothing for granted

To the fascists and libtard sycophants, EVERYTHING belongs to the state as it represents the whole community of everyone in their view.

Everything from our bodies, to our lives, to our children, our wealth, our economic and political rights, and our right to self defense. All that is properly under the ultimate control of the fascist state.

Libtards and their fascist cousins can kiss my ass.

She has to realize that when talking to Conservatives you have to assume you are dealing with a four year old. Take nothing for granted

And you are continuing to spout your troling bullshit using a fake name that lies in and of itself.

You are a fake a fraud and a liar.

Eat shit.

Leaving it up to others to do the "caring" is just another way for irresponsible liberals to shift their duties to the public..........let some clueless civil servants raise their kiddies for them. Lazy degenerates

Other people are not allowed to care about your children?

Just because your community cares about your child doesn't mean you have to stop

He said 'to do THE caring' meaing all the caring whhich is what is implied when a libtard ass fuck liar like you says that our children dont belong to us, you fucking piece of shyte.

She has to realize that when talking to Conservatives you have to assume you are dealing with a four year old.

That's why liberals find it so intimidating; it's at least four years ahead of what they can grasp.

Harris- Perry was in fact, naive for saying what she said

She should have expanded her statement to include every possible mis-interpretation that conservatives could have come up with. She needs to understand that the simplistic conservative audience takes things out of context and literally

Red meat to conservatives

Communities should care about children= Gubmint wants to take my kids

She said 'kids belong to whole communities' at about 18 seconds into the linked video. That followed her assertion that 'we need to break through' the notion that kids belong to their parents.

The only thing you really think she was naive about was in plainly stating what she thinks while you fucking lying ass libtard fascists try to evade any straightforward assertions as much as humanly possible.

People have learned from the past how you lying fucktards work your insiduous bullshit.

Fuck off.

Forum List

Back