Murdoch's News of the World hacks dead teenager's phone

A former News of the World senior executive, who was arrested over the phone-hacking scandal, was paid £24,000 as an advisor by the police force now investigating him, Scotland Yard said.

Neil Wallis, 60, former executive editor and deputy editor of the now-closed Rupert Murdoch-owned tabloid, was arrested at his London home on Thursday "on suspicion of conspiring to intercept communications", the Metropolitan Police said.

Wallis, who worked under the leadership of then editor Andy Coulson, was the ninth person to be arrested since the inquiry was reopened in January.

But just hours after he was detained, London's Metropolitan Police were forced to admit that until September last year it had paid him for consultancy work.

Wallis left the News of the World in August 2009 -- and just two months later his company Chamy Media was hired by the Metropolitan Police to "provide strategic communication advice and support", a Scotland Yard statement said.

This included advice on speech writing and public relations work while the force's deputy director of public affairs was on sick leave recovering from a serious illness, it said.

He worked two days a month for around a year and was paid £24,000 -- the equivalent of £1,000 a day of taxpayers' money, police confirmed.

Arrested ex-tabloid exec was paid police advisor - Yahoo! News

Why do you post shit that's already been posted? Does not make you look overly intelligent.

Heads are rolling. The only question is how many will be sacrificed so that NewsCorp can go on?

People like you really make me laugh. Not with you, but at you. You are the first to scream about your constitution and freedom of speech, yet here you are hoping to see elements of the media closed down. You're a hypocrite. The situation here isn't about left or right. It's about breaking the law and bringing those guilty to account. Over here, we don't believe that the media should be gagged...unless of course you happen to be a politician. We just wish to see those who work in the media operate within the law.

Heads are rolling. The only question is how many will be sacrificed so that NewsCorp can go on?

People like you really make me laugh. Not with you, but at you. You are the first to scream about your constitution and freedom of speech, yet here you are hoping to see elements of the media closed down. You're a hypocrite. The situation here isn't about left or right. It's about breaking the law and bringing those guilty to account. Over here, we don't believe that the media should be gagged...unless of course you happen to be a politician. We just wish to see those who work in the media operate within the law.

What I find interesting is this.

Where are we getting the information about News Int? From the media.... a media that have their own agenda.... destroy their competition. And yet, the mentally challenged accept, without question, every word. Weird. A distinct lack of critical thought.

What I find interesting is this.

Where are we getting the information about News Int? From the media.... a media that have their own agenda.... destroy their competition. And yet, the mentally challenged accept, without question, every word. Weird. A distinct lack of critical thought.

As the accusations over Gordon Brown prove!

Guardian apologises to the Sun over Gordon Brown medical records claim

The Guardian newspaper has apologised to the Sun newspaper after it wrongly accused the News International tabloid of illegally obtaining the medical records of Gordon Brown's son.

On Tuesday the Guardian reported that the Murdoch-owned red-top had used the confidential records as the basis for its story revealing that Mr Brown's son, Fraser, had cystic fibrosis.

Today's apology acknowledged that this was incorrect and that "in fact the information came from a different source".

The Sun had denied the allegations from the outset, running the front page headline 'Brown Wrong' on Wednesday and said the real source had been the father of another child with cystic fibrosis.

Guardian apologises to the Sun over Gordon Brown medical records claim - Telegraph

LONDON— Rebekah Brooks, a top executive in Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp. media empire before resigning Friday in the wake of a phone hacking scandal, was arrested Sunday by Scotland Yard in a broadening probe into illicit newsgathering.

Police confirmed a 43-year-old woman was taken into custody Sunday on charges of conspiring to intercept communications and on corruption allegations, a reference to bribes made to police officers for news tips. Widespread British media reports identified the woman as Brooks, making her the highest-ranking News Corp official yet to be arrested in the case.

Rebekah Brooks arrested in UK hacking scan - The Washington Post

According to latest reports, Rebekah Brooks has been arrested. Sweet!

Rebekah Brooks has been arrested by officers investigating allegations of corruption and phone hacking, according to Sky sources.

Rebekah Brooks Has Been Arrested By Police Officers Investigating Phone Hacking | UK News | Sky News

Good. But..... will that affect her appearance at the Select Committee? Surely, that's gonna impact on that. How can she be answering questions in that inquiry if she's under arrest?

She has, I understand, already publicly stated that NotW paid police officers for information. That's illegal. So, she's definitely in deep shit.... probably really, really deep. But she does have friends in incredibly high places.

Last edited:
LONDON— Rebekah Brooks, a top executive in Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp. media empire before resigning Friday in the wake of a phone hacking scandal, was arrested Sunday by Scotland Yard in a broadening probe into illicit newsgathering.

Police confirmed a 43-year-old woman was taken into custody Sunday on charges of conspiring to intercept communications and on corruption allegations, a reference to bribes made to police officers for news tips. Widespread British media reports identified the woman as Brooks, making her the highest-ranking News Corp official yet to be arrested in the case.

Whoah!!! Arrested?!?!?
:eek: :eek:

I really didn't see that coming, I guess she really is in deep.

She may be TOAST!

And Rupert was protecting her...WoW!!!

*SMH*

ACORN got unfairly destroyed by a lying media.

I don't see any tears from the right.

What I do see them CONTINUING to do is say that ACORN was guilty of what it has been found NOT guilty of.

Yet, the very same RWers want your to cry for FOX, like Argentina.

CLASSIC!!!

:lol:

So, there's video evidence of someone from Fox News hacking a phone? Oh, I haven't seen it. Got a link?
Good catch, I meant Murdoch, which owns FOX, so that's how that slipped.

Anyway, are you crying for Murdoch? And/or do you want people to?

What year is it?

Didn't 9/11 happen awhile ago?

Why is it so important for the FBI to drop everything and investigate phone-hacking?

I dunno. If you had a family member that was killed on 9/11 and if someone hacked into your dead family member's cell phone and listened to messages between you and your family member, wouldn't you want them investigated? It's a violation of our constitutional rights - whether alive or dead.

Personally, I wouldn't have such a problem with Fox News if they were a conservative news source and they announced that they were a conservative news source yet presented facts instead of distorted truths. There's no reason why this country can't have a conservative tv news network. But the way Fox goes about it, currently, is just reprehensable.

The flame-haired Brooks became the focus of widespread anger over the phone-hacking scandal but was initially protected by Murdoch, who guided her rise through the male-dominated world of UK tabloid journalism to become editor of the News of the World in 2000 and the Sun's first female editor in 2003.

Flying into London a week ago to take charge of the crisis, Murdoch appeared before journalists with his arm around her. Asked what was his first priority, he gestured at her and replied: "This one."

Brooks arrested in hacking scandal - Yahoo! News

Any CEO of any corporation involved in something like this would have resigned by now. Murdoch needs to, but before he does, he needs to kick Roger Ailes to the curb.

Whoah!!! Arrested?!?!?

She may be TOAST!

*SMH*

Seems like they do a lot of "arresting" over there as opposed to "being brought in for questioning/detained". Is that particular to the U.K.?

Iam in UK just been on our news that the SFO(Serious fraud Office) are now investigating NI.

What year is it?

Didn't 9/11 happen awhile ago?

Why is it so important for the FBI to drop everything and investigate phone-hacking?

I dunno. If you had a family member that was killed on 9/11 and if someone hacked into your dead family member's cell phone and listened to messages between you and your family member, wouldn't you want them investigated? It's a violation of our constitutional rights - whether alive or dead.

Personally, I wouldn't have such a problem with Fox News if they were a conservative news source and they announced that they were a conservative news source yet presented facts instead of distorted truths. There's no reason why this country can't have a conservative tv news network. But the way Fox goes about it, currently, is just reprehensable.

What about the way that Fox goes about it is 'reprehensible'?

Do keep up! Better late than never I suppose. :lol:

Iam in UK just been on our news that the SFO(Serious fraud Office) are now investigating NI.

No shit Sherlock? Who would have guessed that the Serious Fraud Office would get called in to investigate a potential serious fraud? I so did not see that coming. :lol:

Whoah!!! Arrested?!?!?

She may be TOAST!

*SMH*

Seems like they do a lot of "arresting" over there as opposed to "being brought in for questioning/detained". Is that particular to the U.K.?

I'd imagine they have good cause for all their arrests.

Perhaps CaliforniaGirl knows, as she's the resident self-proclaimed expert on this matter.

Forum List

Back