MW advocates - what are the downsides of minimum wage?

An employee makes a profit off of every worker

So what?

If you don't want people making money from the labor you sell then work for yourself and keep all the profit

The problem with that answer is that the regulatory burden of starting and running a business presents an artificial barrier to entry that makes it much harder than it should be for poor people to work for themselves. THAT's where "soft slavery" comes into play. We have an entire body of law designed to drive the poor into "employment" and keep them there. That's why we have employer-provided health care, for example.

There isn't too much regulatory burden besides getting a federal and state tax id number and possibly a sales tax certificate and Voila you are a sole proprietor

Depends on the business. Often some kind of license or permit is involved, expensive insurance is usually required, and if you intend to hire anyone to help you, you have to deal with the overhead of labor law (minimum wage, for example) and payroll taxes.

Workman's comp for a sole proprietor and maybe liability but none of it is particularly prohibitive.

And you don't have to hire anyone

Whatever. I agree with your overall point. I'm just noting that it's harder than it needs to be for poor people to do as you're suggesting - and it's the regulatory state promoted by liberals that gets in the way. The very rules that they pass in the name of helping the poor work to keep them "in their place".

burger flipping would be at the bottom because it simply isn't valuable to most of us.

Then if it has so little value we should not expect an adult human to do it.

I don't. But if they want to anyway, it's their business.

What you all can't seem to accept is that some jobs aren't worth minimum wage. And what you're saying with MW laws is that those jobs shouldn't be allowed.

So what?

If you don't want people making money from the labor you sell then work for yourself and keep all the profit
So stop whining about minimum wage

They have profited off of low cost labor for ten years. Time to pay up

Last edited:
burger flipping would be at the bottom because it simply isn't valuable to most of us.

What you all can't seem to accept is that some jobs aren't worth minimum wage. And what you're saying with MW laws is that those jobs shouldn't be allowed.

So what?

We agree on something

Whatever. I agree with your overall point. I'm just noting that it's harder than it needs to be for poor people to do as you're suggesting - and it's the regulatory state promoted by liberals that gets in the way. The very rules that they pass in the name of helping the poor work to keep them "in their place".

Pure bullshit. I'd ask what regulations "keep them in their place" but I know it would be more bullshit

So what?

I'm not whining I just think it's completely unnecessary.

and every one of my employees makes at least 15 an hour and 3 of them make 80 to 100 K a year

But then again my employees have to actually have some skills unlike the people who aspire to do nothing but stuff burgers into paper bags

and every one of my employees makes at least 15 an hour and 3 of them make 80 to 100 K a year

But then again my employees have to actually have some skills unlike the people who aspire to do nothing but stuff burgers into paper bags

So you understand and acknowledge that no adult should be forced to work for $7/hr.

Thank you

So what?

Social services cost around fourteen dollars an hour, by equivalent. There is absolutely no reason to subsidize cheap labor in a First World economy.

What basic bills are that...

Democrat high taxes or republican low taxes?
Food, clothing, education, and shelter

Then you agree the minimum wage should be a states decision and not a national one.

No. I think it should be a national one.

Why like I posted a million times in a million threads on minimum wage $8 bucks an hour in Alabama is like $20 bucks an hour in New York City

The only possible reason a person would want it national is to prevent jobs from moving.

Its a pretty simple explanation. If left up to the states like Alabama or Mississippi they may set it $1 an hour. We cant have retarded states like that determining what minimum wage is. Its way smarter to have someone on a national level setting the minimum wage for each state.

I didn't know people as stupid as you actually exist.

So you understand and acknowledge that no adult should be forced to work for $7/hr.

Thank you

No one is forced to work for $7 an hour, that is total bullshit. Ever hear of self-employment?

Thank you

People should be paid a salary commensurate with their skill level

Stuffing mass produced burgers into paper bags isn't worth even 7 bucks an hour.

and FYI no one is forced to work

Thank you

Stuffing mass produced burgers into paper bags isn't worth even 7 bucks an hour.

Work or die! is the right wing way.

Thank you

Don't work IDGAF just don't expect me to support your worthless ass

Thank you

Don't work IDGAF just don't expect me to support your worthless ass
Capitalism's natural rate of unemployment is public policy.

Pure bullshit. I'd ask what regulations "keep them in their place" but I know it would be more bullshit

If you've ever been poor and tried to work for yourself, you wouldn't have to ask.

Thank you

Totally agree. Forced labor is the definition of slavery. But I suspect you're playing some games with the definition of 'forced'.

So what?

You're kidding yourself. MW doesn't make anyone 'pay up'. It just bans low-wage jobs.

So what?

You're kidding yourself. MW doesn't make anyone 'pay up'. It just bans low-wage jobs.
Compensation for capitalism's natural rate of unemployment would enable market participants to self-select.

The filthy ass government dictating wages. Fucking government oppression and it is despicable.

A company HAS to make a profit off its workers or they're costing the company money. That cannot be sustained for long, hence layoffs.

Forum List

Back