My experience/views on black people... am I a racist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
... I doubt ... you would toss me around. ...
1592930745831.png

This is hardly a fairy tale.

View attachment 353904

View attachment 353905
I attended a NASA seminar in Huntsville in 1965. Vaughan was a speaker. I spoke to her after the seminar and I remember her as being a really smart lady. I never heard anything about all the stuff in movie until I saw it.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
Well, I did go to school, study law, graduated, and done several decades working in it. I have written a couple of contracts that could not be broken when challenged in court. So, my answer would be, I know a little about it.
Isn't indentured servitude a contract?

Irrelevant counselor. All this was asked and answered.

"An indentured servant or indentured laborer is an employee (indenturee) within a system of unfree labor who is bound by a signed or forced contract (indenture) to work without pay for the owner of the indenture for a period of time. The contract often lets the employer sell the labor of an indenturee to a third party. Indenturees usually enter into an indenture for a specific payment or other benefit (such as transportation to a new place), or to meet a legal obligation, such as debt bondage. On completion of the contract, indentured servants were given their freedom, and occasionally plots of land. Indentured servitude was often brutal, with a high percentage[vague] of servants dying prior to the expiration of their indentures. In many countries, systems of indentured labor have now been outlawed, and are banned by the Universal Declaration of Human Rights as a form of slavery ."

en.wikipedia.org

Indentured servitude - Wikipedia

en.wikipedia.org
en.wikipedia.org

WHAT PART OF THAT WHERE INDENTURED SERVITUDE IS BANNED AS A FORM OF SLAVERY WENT OVER YOUR HEAD?

WHat part about the definition of indentured servant do you not understand.

If it was slavery the definition would say it was slavery

Definition of INDENTURED servant
indentured servant
noun
Save Word
To save this word, you'll need to log in.

Definition of indentured servant

: a person who signs and is bound by indentures to work for another for a specified time especially in return for payment of travel expenses and maintenance

I worked in the legal field. Layman definitions don't mean squat to me. In this instance the UNITED NATIONS GENERAL ASSEMBLY DISAGREES WITH YOUR DEFINITION.

Gillipollas, you should sue your brains for non-support.

It's not my definition Fuckstick.

It's the Merriam Webster definition. The UN does not publish a sanctioned dictionary.

In early American history, indenture was a form of labor contract. Beginning during the colonial period, employers in the largely agricultural economy faced a labor shortage. They addressed it in two ways: by buying slaves and by hiring indentured servants. The former were Africans who were brought to the colonies against their will to serve for life; the latter were generally Europeans from England and Germany who had entered multiyear employment contracts. From the late sixteenth century to the late eighteenth century, approximately half of the 350,000 European immigrants to the colonies were indentured servants

I'm sure you're amused by your own research, but you failed to make a point. Let's cut the shit and face the facts. You think there was something special about black slavery. Otherwise, it would not have come up. You're vested in selling a false narrative that black slavery was somehow more heinous than slavery against whites... which is a real thing. You're butt hurt, but the fight is over and you LOST. You asked if anyone had ever sold themselves into slavery. You got an honest and accurate answer, cabron.

Pull your head out of your ass. We both know that a person cannot sell themselves into slavery as you want to define it. The fact is, people sold themselves into slavery, albeit temporary, because that situation promised to be better than the one they were in. Indentured servants got treated worse than slaves and had a shorter life span as a result. The rest of what you want to argue over is semantics that do not change the conversation.

Insofar as "American" slavery, it wasn't much of a thing. You should know that by now. The federal government outlawed the importation of slaves at the ratification of the United States Constitution. The practice of slavery was a STATE issue, under STATE jurisdiction and Vermont outlawed slavery in 1777; Pennsylvania outlawed the practice in 1780. So, before the Constitution was ratified, the importation of slaves was outlawed and half the states had already outlawed the practice. Get a grip, cabron. Black people do not hold a monopoly on suffering and slavery was not a white thing. Whites were held as slaves way before blacks were. And the blacks that were here: They had already been captured. Slavery versus being tortured to death by the their fellow black brethren (maybe turned into African soup).... This shit is a no brainer, cabron.

Indentured servants were never slaves.

It doesn't matter how many times you say it.

I have provided you with definitions from multiple sources and not one of then equates indentured servitude with slavery.

• Thanks

View attachment 353904

View attachment 353905
I attended a NASA seminar in Huntsville in 1965. Vaughan was a speaker. I spoke to her after the seminar and I remember her as being a really smart lady. I never heard anything about all the stuff in movie until I saw it.
I'm sure she was great. I bet she was very smart.

So why wasn't that a good enough story to tell? Why did they have to embellish and just plain fabricate so much shit in that movies?

From the link;
"Historical accuracy[edit]
The film, set at NASA Langley Research Center in 1961, depicts segregated facilities such as the West Area Computing unit, where an all-black group of female mathematicians were originally required to use separate dining and bathroom facilities. However, in reality, Dorothy Vaughan was promoted to supervisor of West Computing in 1949, becoming the first black supervisor at the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics (NACA) and one of the few female supervisors. "In 1958, when NACA became NASA, segregated facilities, including the West Computing office, were abolished."[18] Dorothy Vaughan and many of the former West Computers transferred to the new Analysis and Computation Division (ACD), a racially and gender-integrated group.[19]

Mary Jackson was the one who had to find her own way to a colored bathroom, which did exist on the East Side.[20] Katherine (then Goble) was originally unaware that the East Side bathrooms were segregated, and used the unlabeled "whites-only" bathrooms for years before anyone complained.[21] She ignored the complaint, and the issue was dropped.[22] In an interview with WHRO-TV, Katherine Johnson denied the feeling of segregation. "I didn't feel the segregation at NASA, because everybody there was doing research. You had a mission and you worked on it, and it was important to you to do your job ... and play bridge at lunch. I didn't feel any segregation. I knew it was there, but I didn't feel it."[23]

Mary Jackson did not have to get a court order to attend night classes at the whites-only high school. She asked the city of Hampton for an exception, and it was granted. The school turned out to be run down and dilapidated, a hidden cost of running two parallel school systems.[24] She completed her engineering courses and earned a promotion to engineer in 1958.[25]

Katherine Goble/Johnson carpooled with Eunice Smith, a nine-year West End computer veteran at the time Katherine joined NACA. Smith was her neighbor and friend from sorority and church choir.[26] The three Goble children were teenagers at the time of Katherine's marriage to Jim Johnson.[27]

Katherine Goble/Johnson was assigned to the Flight Research Division in 1953, a move that soon became permanent. When the Space Task Group was created in 1958, engineers from the Flight Research Division formed the core of the Group, and Katherine moved along with them. She coauthored a research report in 1960, the first time a woman in the Flight Research Division had received credit as an author of a research report.[28]

Katherine gained access to editorial meetings as of 1958 simply through persistence, not because one particular meeting was critical.[29][30]

The Space Task Group was led by Robert Gilruth, not the fictional character Al Harrison, who was created to simplify a more complex management structure.

The scene where Harrison smashes the Colored Ladies Room sign never happened, as in real life Katherine refused to walk the extra distance to use the colored bathroom and, in her words, "just went to the White one".[31] Harrison also lets her into Mission Control to witness the launch. Neither scene happened in real life, and screenwriter Theodore Melfi said he saw no problem with adding the scenes, saying, "There needs to be white people who do the right thing, there needs to be black people who do the right thing, and someone does the right thing. And so who cares who does the right thing, as long as the right thing is achieved?"

Dexter Thomas of Vice News criticized Melfi's additions as creating the white savior trope: "In this case, it means that a white person doesn't have to think about the possibility that, were they around back in the 1960s South, they might have been one of the bad ones."[32] The Atlantic's Megan Garber said that the film's "narrative trajectory" involved "thematic elements of the white savior".[33] Melfi said he found "hurtful" the "accusations of a 'white savior' storyline", saying,

It was very upsetting to me because I am at a place where I've lived my life colorless and I grew up in Brooklyn. I walked to school with people of all shapes, sizes, and colors, and that's how I've lived my life. So it's very upsetting that we still have to have this conversation. I get upset when I hear 'black film,' and so does Taraji P. Henson ... It's just a film. And if we keep labeling something 'a black film,' or 'a white film'— basically it's modern day segregation. We're all humans. Any human can tell any human's story. I don't want to have this conversation about black film or white film anymore. I wanna have conversations about film.
The Huffington Post's Zeba Blay said of Melfi's frustration,

His frustration is also a perfect example of how, when it comes to open dialogue about depictions of people of color on screen, it behooves white people (especially those who position themselves as 'allies') to listen ... the inclusion of the bathroom scene doesn't make Melfi a bad filmmaker, or a bad person, or a racist. But his suggestion that a feel-good scene like that was needed for the marketability and overall appeal of the film speaks to the fact that Hollywood at large still has a long way to go in telling black stories, no matter how many strides have been made.[34]
The fictional characters Vivian Mitchell and Paul Stafford are composites of several team members, and reflect common social views and attitudes of the time. Karl Zielinski is based on Mary Jackson's mentor, Kazimierz "Kaz" Czarnecki.[35]

John Glenn, who was about a decade older than depicted at the time of launch, did ask specifically for Johnson[36] to verify the IBM calculations, although she had several days before the launch date to complete the process.[37]

The author Margot Lee Shetterly has agreed that there are differences between her book and the movie, but found that to be understandable.

For better or for worse, there is history, there is the book and then there's the movie. Timelines had to be conflated and [there were] composite characters, and for most people [who have seen the movie] have already taken that as the literal fact. ... You might get the indication in the movie that these were the only people doing those jobs, when in reality we know they worked in teams, and those teams had other teams. There were sections, branches, divisions, and they all went up to a director. There were so many people required to make this happen. ... It would be great for people to understand that there were so many more people. Even though Katherine Johnson, in this role, was a hero, there were so many others that were required to do other kinds of tests and checks to make [Glenn's] mission come to fruition. But I understand you can't make a movie with 300 characters. It is simply not possible.[38]
John Glenn's flight was not terminated early as incorrectly stated in the movie's closing subtitles. The MA-6 mission was planned for three orbits and landed at the expected time. The press kit published before launch states that "The Mercury Operations Director may elect a one, two or three orbit mission." [39] The post mission report also shows that retrofire was scheduled to occur on the third orbit. [40] Scott Carpenter's subsequent flight in May was also scheduled and flew for three orbits, and Walter Schirra's planned six-orbit flight in October required extensive modifications to the Mercury capsule's life support system to allow him to fly a nine-hour mission.[41] The phrase "go for at least seven orbits" that is in the mission transcript refers to the fact that the Atlas booster had placed Glenn's capsule into an orbit that would be stable for at least seven orbits, not that he had permission to stay up that long.

The Mercury Control Center was located at Cape Canaveral, Florida, not at the Langley Research Center in Virginia. The orbit plots displayed in the front of the room incorrectly show a six-orbit mission, which did not happen until Walter Schirra's MA-8 mission in October 1962. The movie also incorrectly shows NASA flight controllers monitoring live telemetry from the Soviet Vostok launch, which the Soviet Union would not have been sharing with NASA in 1961.

Katherine Johnson's Technical Note D-233, co-written with T.H. Skopinski, can be found on the NASA Technical Reports Server.[42]

The visual blog Information is Beautiful deduced that, while taking creative licence into account, the film was 74% accurate when compared to real-life events, summarizing that "the crux of the story is true, [and] any events that didn't actually happen are at least illustrative of how things really were".

And you don't know shit about anyone else's personal experiences either, prick. So how the fuck would you know if they know what it feels like to be judged by the color of their skin?

Unless you live under a rock, you've been judged by the color of your skin. Some friends remarked just the other day they have seen Hispanics working at Japanese and Chinese restaurants, but never went to one where a white was employed. Whites have felt the sting of reverse discrimination, racial quotas, racial hiring schemes, and even affirmative action. Whites are called racists every time they disagree with blacks. Whites do not have the luxury of seeking a Right to self determination. The woe is me crap coming from the blacks is sickening.
I thought those jobs were beneath a lot of you.
Stereotype much?
Nope, the service industries have traditionally been filled by people of color particularly in the south because they were lowing paying jobs.

I went to college in the south and the maids, waiters, bellhops, etc. were pretty much all black. I actually worked as a maid for a while
But is that because it's "beneath" whites?
I think that's a presumption on your part.
You should watch Hidden Figures if you ever get the chance. Maybe you'll get where I'm coming from.
I'm not into propaganda, thanks.
That's really sad, that you can't tell the difference between documented history and propaganda.

How often are you wrong about a perceived threat?
The movie Hidden Figures is based on a true story, but it's very loose with the facts. For example, Katherine G. Johnson didn't really have to go across the campus to use the "colored" restroom, and she did't have the meltdown about it as shown in the movie. She simply used the same restroom as the whites, and the one time someone complained, she ignored it. The book Hidden Figures is said to be much more accurate.

Well, I did go to school, study law, graduated, and done several decades working in it. I have written a couple of contracts that could not be broken when challenged in court. So, my answer would be, I know a little about it.
Isn't indentured servitude a contract?

Irrelevant counselor. All this was asked and answered.

"An indentured servant or indentured laborer is an employee (indenturee) within a system of unfree labor who is bound by a signed or forced contract (indenture) to work without pay for the owner of the indenture for a period of time. The contract often lets the employer sell the labor of an indenturee to a third party. Indenturees usually enter into an indenture for a specific payment or other benefit (such as transportation to a new place), or to meet a legal obligation, such as debt bondage. On completion of the contract, indentured servants were given their freedom, and occasionally plots of land. Indentured servitude was often brutal, with a high percentage[vague] of servants dying prior to the expiration of their indentures. In many countries, systems of indentured labor have now been outlawed, and are banned by the Universal Declaration of Human Rights as a form of slavery ."

en.wikipedia.org

Indentured servitude - Wikipedia

en.wikipedia.org
en.wikipedia.org

WHAT PART OF THAT WHERE INDENTURED SERVITUDE IS BANNED AS A FORM OF SLAVERY WENT OVER YOUR HEAD?

WHat part about the definition of indentured servant do you not understand.

If it was slavery the definition would say it was slavery

Definition of INDENTURED servant
indentured servant
noun
Save Word
To save this word, you'll need to log in.

Definition of indentured servant

: a person who signs and is bound by indentures to work for another for a specified time especially in return for payment of travel expenses and maintenance

I worked in the legal field. Layman definitions don't mean squat to me. In this instance the UNITED NATIONS GENERAL ASSEMBLY DISAGREES WITH YOUR DEFINITION.

Gillipollas, you should sue your brains for non-support.

It's not my definition Fuckstick.

It's the Merriam Webster definition. The UN does not publish a sanctioned dictionary.

In early American history, indenture was a form of labor contract. Beginning during the colonial period, employers in the largely agricultural economy faced a labor shortage. They addressed it in two ways: by buying slaves and by hiring indentured servants. The former were Africans who were brought to the colonies against their will to serve for life; the latter were generally Europeans from England and Germany who had entered multiyear employment contracts. From the late sixteenth century to the late eighteenth century, approximately half of the 350,000 European immigrants to the colonies were indentured servants

I'm sure you're amused by your own research, but you failed to make a point. Let's cut the shit and face the facts. You think there was something special about black slavery. Otherwise, it would not have come up. You're vested in selling a false narrative that black slavery was somehow more heinous than slavery against whites... which is a real thing. You're butt hurt, but the fight is over and you LOST. You asked if anyone had ever sold themselves into slavery. You got an honest and accurate answer, cabron.

Pull your head out of your ass. We both know that a person cannot sell themselves into slavery as you want to define it. The fact is, people sold themselves into slavery, albeit temporary, because that situation promised to be better than the one they were in. Indentured servants got treated worse than slaves and had a shorter life span as a result. The rest of what you want to argue over is semantics that do not change the conversation.

Insofar as "American" slavery, it wasn't much of a thing. You should know that by now. The federal government outlawed the importation of slaves at the ratification of the United States Constitution. The practice of slavery was a STATE issue, under STATE jurisdiction and Vermont outlawed slavery in 1777; Pennsylvania outlawed the practice in 1780. So, before the Constitution was ratified, the importation of slaves was outlawed and half the states had already outlawed the practice. Get a grip, cabron. Black people do not hold a monopoly on suffering and slavery was not a white thing. Whites were held as slaves way before blacks were. And the blacks that were here: They had already been captured. Slavery versus being tortured to death by the their fellow black brethren (maybe turned into African soup).... This shit is a no brainer, cabron.

Indentured servants were never slaves.

It doesn't matter how many times you say it.

I have provided you with definitions from multiple sources and not one of then equates indentured servitude with slavery.

I'm not saying it; the UN did. If we were arguing this before a tribunal, I can guarantee you that you would lose.

View attachment 354060

Have you ever invited sealybobo to give it a try? I mean in real life.
Oh yeah, that sounds like a smart use of time and money. Travel halfway across the country to spend 5 to 10 seconds humiliating some big mouth from the Internet. Maybe not.
He let it be known he was a much more accomplished wrestler but I was tougher than guys who could beat me at wrestling.

plus I’m pretty sure he’s a lightweight

View attachment 354060

Oh yeah, that sounds like a smart use of time and money. Travel halfway across the country to spend 5 to 10 seconds humiliating some big mouth from the Internet. Maybe not.

It's a waste of bandwidth to use fighting words only to wimp out and not actually call someone out. You're probably a teen and don't understand the way men (when men were men) used to be. Way back then, if you said some of the things you say, it was tantamount to throwing down the gauntlet and issuing a challenge. Today, it's cowards hiding behind a keyboard, trying to provoke other posters and doing everything save of calling them out. If I posted some of the things you post it would be to provoke
someone and then take the lead if they accepted the challenge. But, the younger generation is not real men any longer; they are pussies hiding behind keyboards. I think that if you were going to call sealybobo out, you should have followed through.

Since you made it a point to get all up in my business, I am just returning the favor. Hope you appreciate it.

View attachment 354060

He let it be known he was a much more accomplished wrestler but I was tougher than guys who could beat me at wrestling.

plus I’m pretty sure he’s a lightweight

I'm pretty good at either. The last guy who thought he wanted me was the son of a professional wrestler. He is half my age and had both height and size on me... not to mention his bravado was slinging a belt around my neck and trying to choke me out. He ended up with his wrist broken in two places and his arm being fractured. I walked away with a bruise on my right bicep. Those days are not going to last at my age, but it showed me what the average male is made of these days. Hell, this kid even studied karate to boot... and he couldn't whip an old man even he started out with the advantage of almost choking me out. Unkotare strikes me as the same caliber of guy - he'd tire himself out just trying to beat his meat. The good news is, he won't have any offspring with that low testosterone and wasting his youth picking Internet fights.

View attachment 354060

It's a waste of bandwidth to use fighting words only to wimp out and not actually call someone out. You're probably a teen and don't understand the way men (when men were men) used to be. Way back then, if you said some of the things you say, it was tantamount to throwing down the gauntlet and issuing a challenge. Today, it's cowards hiding behind a keyboard, trying to provoke other posters and doing everything save of calling them out. If I posted some of the things you post it would be to provoke
someone and then take the lead if they accepted the challenge. But, the younger generation is not real men any longer; they are pussies hiding behind keyboards. I think that if you were going to call sealybobo out, you should have followed through.

Since you made it a point to get all up in my business, I am just returning the favor. Hope you appreciate it.
:lmao:

OTHER RACES RARELY COMPLAIN- BLACKS 24/7. Its a CULTURE thing with black people. Single moms, abortion, crime, jail, dropping out, terrible inner city generational violence etc. NOT Whitey's fault.

I grew up in Southern Indiana. Being born in 1965, the number of black people within 50 miles could be counted on one hand.
Not because they couldn't, but just like most rural areas in the Northern states...when blacks migrated here they didn't go to small towns.
The first black family I saw I was in junior high. There is a GM plant there, and some families out of NY and Detroit moved there when their plants closed. One of those families moved in our neighborhood. And started going to our church. As far as I knew, they had no issues here. I absolutely remember them being welcomed into the church. They had two children, one was a boy who was the same age as my middle brother. They became friends and he was at our house over the next several years 100's of times.
Then in high school a few more familes moved here and one boy fell into my group of friends and hung out till graduation.
Then we lived in a college town (Bloomington, IN) and there are of course significantly higher number of blacks there. To this day I have never once had a problem with any of them. Worked with them, friends with several of them... been to a few weddings..etc. etc. Black people here don't act any different than anyone else. And the crime committed by them are probably no higher/lower than other races here.
BUT... drive 45 minutes north to Indianapolis.... Whole - Other - Story. Drive 2 hours south to Louisville...same..2 and a half hours east to Cincy - same. In my book, according to 55 years of living - there are two sets of blacks in America. Inner-city blacks, and suburban blacks.
I have known suburban blacks most of my life, and I don't feel any different with them than any other race. PERIOD. Inner city blacks? Stay the fuck away from me. I want no part of you. When my two kids went to IUPUI Medical School in Indy... I made sure every apartment they lived in - there was as few blacks as possible. That was pretty much the only stipulation I had. And it cost a lot more for them to live there, but so be it.
My absolute attitude towards black people are no different than anyone else... give me no reason not to like you... I am fine with you. In all things. Give me a reason not to like you - bye. Just like anyone else.
But if I am in a major city and I see you with pants hanging down to your knees, a gold grill in your mouth hanging out with like individuals I am going to be sure I am not around you. I don't trust you. And the crime rates committed by them backs up my attitude 110%.
You don't deserve the free shit you get, you are a piece of garbage because you don't raise your children, you don't work and it is highly likely what money you have to buy those air Jordan shoes was not legal. And your girlfriends walking with you are loud as hell, rude, obnoxious and cuss like a drunken sailor. I have no respect for you. No time for you.
And guess what? The same goes for the shitty white trash around here as well. The meth heads, the moped/scooter riding drunken losers - they are white. I have no time for them either.
Both don't deserve what they have, let alone more from my tax dollars.
If you have to ask, "Am I racist?" you probably are.

View attachment 353904

View attachment 353905

So why wasn't that a good enough story to tell? Why did they have to embellish and just plain fabricate so much shit in that movies?

From the link;
The film, set at NASA Langley Research Center in 1961, depicts segregated facilities such as the West Area Computing unit, where an all-black group of female mathematicians were originally required to use separate dining and bathroom facilities. However, in reality, Dorothy Vaughan was promoted to supervisor of West Computing in 1949, becoming the first black supervisor at the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics (NACA) and one of the few female supervisors. "In 1958, when NACA became NASA, segregated facilities, including the West Computing office, were abolished."[18] Dorothy Vaughan and many of the former West Computers transferred to the new Analysis and Computation Division (ACD), a racially and gender-integrated group.[19]

Mary Jackson was the one who had to find her own way to a colored bathroom, which did exist on the East Side.[20] Katherine (then Goble) was originally unaware that the East Side bathrooms were segregated, and used the unlabeled "whites-only" bathrooms for years before anyone complained.[21] She ignored the complaint, and the issue was dropped.[22] In an interview with WHRO-TV, Katherine Johnson denied the feeling of segregation. "I didn't feel the segregation at NASA, because everybody there was doing research. You had a mission and you worked on it, and it was important to you to do your job ... and play bridge at lunch. I didn't feel any segregation. I knew it was there, but I didn't feel it."[23]

Mary Jackson did not have to get a court order to attend night classes at the whites-only high school. She asked the city of Hampton for an exception, and it was granted. The school turned out to be run down and dilapidated, a hidden cost of running two parallel school systems.[24] She completed her engineering courses and earned a promotion to engineer in 1958.[25]

Katherine Goble/Johnson carpooled with Eunice Smith, a nine-year West End computer veteran at the time Katherine joined NACA. Smith was her neighbor and friend from sorority and church choir.[26] The three Goble children were teenagers at the time of Katherine's marriage to Jim Johnson.[27]

Katherine Goble/Johnson was assigned to the Flight Research Division in 1953, a move that soon became permanent. When the Space Task Group was created in 1958, engineers from the Flight Research Division formed the core of the Group, and Katherine moved along with them. She coauthored a research report in 1960, the first time a woman in the Flight Research Division had received credit as an author of a research report.[28]

Katherine gained access to editorial meetings as of 1958 simply through persistence, not because one particular meeting was critical.[29][30]

The Space Task Group was led by Robert Gilruth, not the fictional character Al Harrison, who was created to simplify a more complex management structure.

The scene where Harrison smashes the Colored Ladies Room sign never happened, as in real life Katherine refused to walk the extra distance to use the colored bathroom and, in her words, "just went to the White one".[31] Harrison also lets her into Mission Control to witness the launch. Neither scene happened in real life, and screenwriter Theodore Melfi said he saw no problem with adding the scenes, saying, "There needs to be white people who do the right thing, there needs to be black people who do the right thing, and someone does the right thing. And so who cares who does the right thing, as long as the right thing is achieved?"

Dexter Thomas of Vice News criticized Melfi's additions as creating the white savior trope: "In this case, it means that a white person doesn't have to think about the possibility that, were they around back in the 1960s South, they might have been one of the bad ones."[32] The Atlantic's Megan Garber said that the film's "narrative trajectory" involved "thematic elements of the white savior".[33] Melfi said he found "hurtful" the "accusations of a 'white savior' storyline", saying,

It was very upsetting to me because I am at a place where I've lived my life colorless and I grew up in Brooklyn. I walked to school with people of all shapes, sizes, and colors, and that's how I've lived my life. So it's very upsetting that we still have to have this conversation. I get upset when I hear 'black film,' and so does Taraji P. Henson ... It's just a film. And if we keep labeling something 'a black film,' or 'a white film'— basically it's modern day segregation. We're all humans. Any human can tell any human's story. I don't want to have this conversation about black film or white film anymore. I wanna have conversations about film.

His frustration is also a perfect example of how, when it comes to open dialogue about depictions of people of color on screen, it behooves white people (especially those who position themselves as 'allies') to listen ... the inclusion of the bathroom scene doesn't make Melfi a bad filmmaker, or a bad person, or a racist. But his suggestion that a feel-good scene like that was needed for the marketability and overall appeal of the film speaks to the fact that Hollywood at large still has a long way to go in telling black stories, no matter how many strides have been made.[34]
The fictional characters Vivian Mitchell and Paul Stafford are composites of several team members, and reflect common social views and attitudes of the time. Karl Zielinski is based on Mary Jackson's mentor, Kazimierz "Kaz" Czarnecki.[35]

John Glenn, who was about a decade older than depicted at the time of launch, did ask specifically for Johnson[36] to verify the IBM calculations, although she had several days before the launch date to complete the process.[37]

The author Margot Lee Shetterly has agreed that there are differences between her book and the movie, but found that to be understandable.

For better or for worse, there is history, there is the book and then there's the movie. Timelines had to be conflated and [there were] composite characters, and for most people [who have seen the movie] have already taken that as the literal fact. ... You might get the indication in the movie that these were the only people doing those jobs, when in reality we know they worked in teams, and those teams had other teams. There were sections, branches, divisions, and they all went up to a director. There were so many people required to make this happen. ... It would be great for people to understand that there were so many more people. Even though Katherine Johnson, in this role, was a hero, there were so many others that were required to do other kinds of tests and checks to make [Glenn's] mission come to fruition. But I understand you can't make a movie with 300 characters. It is simply not possible.[38]
John Glenn's flight was not terminated early as incorrectly stated in the movie's closing subtitles. The MA-6 mission was planned for three orbits and landed at the expected time. The press kit published before launch states that "The Mercury Operations Director may elect a one, two or three orbit mission." [39] The post mission report also shows that retrofire was scheduled to occur on the third orbit. [40] Scott Carpenter's subsequent flight in May was also scheduled and flew for three orbits, and Walter Schirra's planned six-orbit flight in October required extensive modifications to the Mercury capsule's life support system to allow him to fly a nine-hour mission.[41] The phrase "go for at least seven orbits" that is in the mission transcript refers to the fact that the Atlas booster had placed Glenn's capsule into an orbit that would be stable for at least seven orbits, not that he had permission to stay up that long.

The Mercury Control Center was located at Cape Canaveral, Florida, not at the Langley Research Center in Virginia. The orbit plots displayed in the front of the room incorrectly show a six-orbit mission, which did not happen until Walter Schirra's MA-8 mission in October 1962. The movie also incorrectly shows NASA flight controllers monitoring live telemetry from the Soviet Vostok launch, which the Soviet Union would not have been sharing with NASA in 1961.

Katherine Johnson's Technical Note D-233, co-written with T.H. Skopinski, can be found on the NASA Technical Reports Server.[42]

The visual blog Information is Beautiful deduced that, while taking creative licence into account, the film was 74% accurate when compared to real-life events, summarizing that "the crux of the story is true, [and] any events that didn't actually happen are at least illustrative of how things really were".
All movies do this. So take the same amount of time looking to discredit white people.

OTHER RACES RARELY COMPLAIN- BLACKS 24/7. Its a CULTURE thing with black people. Single moms, abortion, crime, jail, dropping out, terrible inner city generational violence etc. NOT Whitey's fault.
That's a lie. All of it. The root cause of the problems blacks face is white racism. That was proven by a study over 50 years ago.

View attachment 353904

View attachment 353905

From the link;

All movies do this. So take the same amount of time looking to discredit white people.
Why should I?

How about I decide what movies I want to watch, and you decide what you want to watch, and leave it at that?

Btw, I grew up within spitting distance of NASA, and there are people still alive and around here who were present at that place and time...... and they called bullshit on that fairy tale.
And the people who work at Microsoft in the cafeteria, the company store, keeping the campus clean and well maintained, etc. can truthfully state that they work for Microsoft but for most people that's not what comes to mind when someone states they "came" from Microsoft.

These people you know, do they have clearances and worked on the space program with Katherine Johnson, Mary Jackson and Dorothy Vaughan, the women whose lives the story was based on?

I honestly don't understand why you automatically default to a negative perspective when it comes to black people. Even if you strip away the movie, these were extraordinary women who acomplished what they did during a time when legal segregation was the law of the land. Why are you so resistent to the fact that there are plenty of outstanding and intelligent and kind African Americans? Why does that thought bother you so much that you have to deny everything that is said by anyone (or at least me) who tries to enlighten you?
But he says his wife is black.
Yeah I wonder how that dynamic works since he has such a low opinion of black people in general.

• Thanks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back