My grandmothers journal.

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
My Grandmother on my mothers side, passed away at 94 years old in 2016.
She began writing a journal in 1995,and continued writing into it until 2015, about 6 months prior to her death.
I have read parts of it, it is not easy to read as it is all written by hand in cursive by someone who learned cursive writing in the 1930s.
Her writing is quite flowing and not always easy to make out.
I started reading it more, and it is a fascinating portrayal of a life that began in 1922. 100 years ago now.
Not only that, but the opinions and thoughts are so VERY different than now. Religious and heavy on ethical thinking and kindness to others.
She writes about her neighbors, to which she knows all of them well. Some she spoke to daily and talks about how neighbors would gather under a large tree in the summer and enjoy evenings, watching the children play. Times when a neighbor was in need, or they were in need and writes about it as if it is just an assumed thing... no big deal.

How very different the world was.

She began writing a journal in 1995,and continued writing into it until 2015, about 6 months prior to her death.
I have read parts of it, it is not easy to read as it is all written by hand in cursive by someone who learned cursive writing in the 1930s.
I started reading it more, and it is a fascinating portrayal of a life that began in 1922. 100 years ago now.
Not only that, but the opinions and thoughts are so VERY different than now. Religious and heavy on ethical thinking and kindness to others.
She writes about her neighbors, to which she knows all of them well. Some she spoke to daily and talks about how neighbors would gather under a large tree in the summer and enjoy evenings, watching the children play. Times when a neighbor was in need, or they were in need and writes about it as if it is just an assumed thing... no big deal.

Television then video games and then the internet then smart phones all came with a social cost. I mean my god, I now have an app to control my refrigerator. WTF is this world coming to.

Television then video games and then the internet then smart phones all came with a social cost. I mean my god, I now have an app to control my refrigerator. WTF is this world coming to.

We recently purchased a GE Profile built in fridge and I thought the same thing.
Why the hell would I need an app for my refrigerator?!
The thing that really sucked was it being a built in you're limited in what will fit in the space provided.
Had to pay over 10k for a fucken refrigerator with a bunch of options I didnt want.

When I was a kid we were out riding our bikes or dirt bikes and roaming the woods.
The only time I see kids on bicycles these days is when school lets out.

Very different.
I used to live in a very diverse neighborhood. Everyone was an immigrant from somewhere.

Then we had an earthquake. The power went out in the whole neighborhood. When the shaking stopped, I went out to check on the house for damage. Everyone else ran out too. All up and down the block people were roaming about with flashlights bobbing in the dark.

In times gone bye, people would be connecting, talking to one another are you okay? Any damage? Who needs help. This time, no one was speaking to one another. I heard drifts of Spanish, farsi, urdu, tagalog, as people from the same household talked. Then it dawned on me. The reason neighbors weren't talking to one another was because they couldn't speak the same language and because no one cared about the other.

So, yeah, very different.

OMG... wow.
I read a line where she is writing about me.
1996... "[my name] has grown to be such a good father, the kids light up when he comes to pick them up".
I admit.... lump in my throat.

Forum List

Back