My three electric vehicle questions.

Lead acid batteries are no different than lithium/cobalt? They are much different. Once the energy is spent in lithium/cobalt that is the end.

Are you sure? ... I thought the batteries in EVs were rechargeable ... anyway, the point is that there are far far more lead/acid batteries on the road today than lithium ion or cobalt batteries ... I think you mean charge/discharge cycles ... yes, there is a limit to almost all type of chemical batteries

The difference is that lead is a dangerous neurotoxin ... extreme care must be taken to recycle ... neither lithium nor cobalt are that dangerous and we can just smelt these types of batteries without any ill effect ...

I know absolutely nothing about recycling lithium batteries, so I'm entitled to have extremely strong opinions in the matter ... [sniff] ...

Why cobalt and not iron or nickel? ... I'm looking at a periodic chart and group 8B transitions metals are group 8B transition metals ... pretty much electrically identical ... no matter, cobalt is super easy to recycle ... I don't see why lithium can't be recycled just as easily ...

Perhaps you confuse "new batteries are cheaper than recycled batteries" with "we can't recycle batteries"? ...

He objected to the case-closed 'drop the mic' attitude.

As far as this thread is concerned ... the case is closed ... period ...

Climate change remediation takes 90% of passenger vehicles off the road ... both piston engines and EVs ... so the answer to the OP is "don't buy either" ... that way, we have no waste to recycle ... no child slave labor scraping lithium off lithium-bearing toads ... no wasteful tires to burn ...

Passenger vehicles are bad for the environment ... in far more ways that just being energy whores ...

As far as this thread is concerned ... the case is closed ... period ...

Climate change remediation takes 90% of passenger vehicles off the road ... both piston engines and EVs ... so the answer to the OP is "don't buy either" ... that way, we have no waste to recycle ... no child slave labor scraping lithium off lithium-bearing toads ... no wasteful tires to burn ...

Passenger vehicles are bad for the environment ... in far more ways that just being energy whores ...
True, but there are other ways to mitigate ghg's and pollution without taking cars off the road. We need to review all the sources of ghg's, then make practical decisions.

True, but there are other ways to mitigate ghg's and pollution without taking cars off the road. We need to review all the sources of ghg's, then make practical decisions.

No ... where you been? ...

We also need to eliminate 90% of air travel and 90% meat consumption ... and quit having so many kids, but that's more of a problem for people who don't have internet connections in their part of the world ...

A BIG one is eating foods grown in your local area ... fresh produce and then can them yourself for winter ... that allows us to continue to use GHG-producing fuels for heating and such ... instead of trucking food in from California ... or Chile ... or wherever farm labor is cheapest ...

The attitude expressed in your post says "we don't have a problem, we don't need a solution" ... so go ahead and keep your A/C, no one minds ...

No ... where you been? ...

We also need to eliminate 90% of air travel and 90% meat consumption ... and quit having so many kids, but that's more of a problem for people who don't have internet connections in their part of the world ...

A BIG one is eating foods grown in your local area ... fresh produce and then can them yourself for winter ... that allows us to continue to use GHG-producing fuels for heating and such ... instead of trucking food in from California ... or Chile ... or wherever farm labor is cheapest ...

The attitude expressed in your post says "we don't have a problem, we don't need a solution" ... so go ahead and keep your A/C, no one minds ...
Our problem is that we don't like the solutions that will work the best for most of us. We've politicized and monetized both the problems and the solutions.

Our problem is that we don't like the solutions that will work the best for most of us. We've politicized and monetized both the problems and the solutions.

These solutions are worse than the problem ... 2ºC in 100 years is pathetic ... who cares? ... then there's blatant lying, "Hypercanes and Hockey Sticks" ...

Business politicized and monetized both the problems and the solutions ... that's their job ...

Let's try it and see. If the naysayers had their way we'd still be living in caves.,
Really? Every person in the past lived in a cave. That is a very uneducated opinion.

There were people who disagreed? Who? Prove it.

You can control climate, bullshit, again, prove it.

Putting "period" at the end of your comments does not make you right.
You are right, but, my comment is fact. And, Mr grammar police, how about those commas you forgot, and that would be comment, not comments that you addressed.

When all you got is correcting grammar it proves you are stupid, Ralph

Really? Every person in the past lived in a cave. That is a very uneducated opinion.

There were people who disagreed? Who? Prove it.

You can control climate, bullshit, again, prove it.
I think we can control what we put into the air. The air will do the rest. Same with the land and the sea. ;)

You are right, but, my comment is fact. And, Mr grammar police, how about those commas you forgot, and that would be comment, not comments that you addressed.

When all you got is correcting grammar it proves you are stupid, Ralph

He's correcting your punctuation ... you should stop using periods altogether ...

The first two would require textbook-length answers ... check on Amazon ...

The third is easy ... we're filthy with hydro-power here in the Pacific NW ... kills the fish but we have dirt-cheap carbon-neutral electric power ... stuff to smelt aluminum by ... yeah ... I've shed a few tears looking at the bouillabaisse they call the Columbia there in Portland ... Lord knows it's awful ... but I WANT MY TESLA ...

ETA: Batteries? ... piston engine cars have batteries ... how did you think they were being recycled? ... how about tires? ...
The batteries in an ICE last a lot longer and are considerably smaller than EV batteries.

Their job is to solve problems, not make them part of our culture. ;)

We paid a lobbyist to create problems ... so we could charge more to "solve" the problem ... it's called the "building code" ... [ka'ching] ... major source of profit for me, and I can live off the interest of these "solutions" ...

The only real difference is today ... landlords can't execute tenants for late rent ... such a shame ... but we can charge late fees for late late fees ... it's trick ...

Transporting foods from the farm to the city is necessary. And both commercial growing and transporting is very efficient in terms of both labor and materials, including fuel.

Are you sure? ... I thought the batteries in EVs were rechargeable ... anyway, the point is that there are far far more lead/acid batteries on the road today than lithium ion or cobalt batteries ...
Rechargeable batteries don't last forever. Obviously the OP referred to the end of usable life.

The point is, there are more lead batteries? So? What does lead have to do with the usefulness of lithium after a lith
He's correcting your punctuation ... you should stop using periods altogether ...
Your punctuation is that of an idiot, period.

And, the moron attempted to correct grammar, my use of the word, "period".

You sniff around my comments and don't even know what the fuck you are addressing, now that is stupidity.

The batteries in an ICE last a lot longer and are considerably smaller than EV batteries.

Are you sure ... EV batteries usually last 8 years ... I'm not getting that much more time out of my lead/acid battery ... individual battery size is the same ... just EVs have many many more ...

My point is both are recycling headaches ... better to not build them at all ... the green solution is 90% less passenger vehicles, both piston and electric ...

... and stop eating meat ... shame on you ... tofu is your friend here ...

We paid a lobbyist to create problems ... so we could charge more to "solve" the problem ... it's called the "building code" ... [ka'ching] ... major source of profit for me, and I can live off the interest of these "solutions" ...

The only real difference is today ... landlords can't execute tenants for late rent ... such a shame ... but we can charge late fees for late late fees ... it's trick ...
I agree about some building codes, although most are necessary. My company is fighting the city now over rainfall drainage from our property, a problem that the city solved years ago and no longer exists.

Forum List

Back