Name a successful non-white majority city in the USA

I can ask this question here because people would freak if I asked it anywhere else.

Can you name a successful non-white majority city in the USA? I would like to find examples of successful non-white leadership but so far have not been able to find any. Can you help?

I would define successful as financially stable and relatively low crime. A non-white majority would be a city (of any size) run by a majority of non-white government officials and has a majority of non-white residents.

while not cities there are several reservations that

have thrown out the federal aid and have adopted

work based ethic rules that have become pretty successful

If you want to see a majority non-white city that's successful. There's Westminster (Viet Namese) Honolulu (asian of some kind) Diamond Bar, (Majority Chinese). There are dozens of others. To get to successful non white cities, you must go asian.

I can ask this question here because people would freak if I asked it anywhere else.

Can you name a successful non-white majority city in the USA? I would like to find examples of successful non-white leadership but so far have not been able to find any. Can you help?

I would define successful as financially stable and relatively low crime. A non-white majority would be a city (of any size) run by a majority of non-white government officials and has a majority of non-white residents.

Atlanta.

If you want to see a majority non-white city that's successful. There's Westminster (Viet Namese) Honolulu (asian of some kind) Diamond Bar, (Majority Chinese). There are dozens of others. To get to successful non white cities, you must go asian.

What about Atlanta Katz?

What about Atlanta Katz?

jumping in--

Atlanta is majority black but the core of the city is surrounded by white/varying degrees of diversity suburbs and exurbs. The economy is not industrial--more white collar jobs and service industry jobs.

I think it would be difficult to compare Atlanta and Detroit, etc.

I was in Atlanta yesterday very big city with alot of jobs, alot of opportunity there.

So do we all agree that we should just ship the ******* out? Hmm? Yes or no? After you guys answer that then we can move on with this discussion.

Somehow we got to get the black community to want to become party of the general society. As of right now they're a sub-population within our society that seems to want to work by their own "culture" that is totally opposite of the rest of society.

One that doesn't value father hood
One that promotes gang life
One that promotes jungle justice instead of innocent until proven guility(trayvon, La riots, etc)

One that doesn't want to work hard but blames whites for everything. I'm NOT SAYING this to all blacks either but a large PERCENTAGE.

What would you suggest?

Improve the economy. Then less people will need to turn to crime or the government. Also remember that blacks are only 2 generations removed from being 2nd class citizens. They are already steadily becoming more prominent in education and the workforce.

As for Hispanics secure the border. Simple enough.

Skin color doesn't make anyone inferior or superior. It only has an effect on small-minded people looking for something to blame.

I was in Atlanta yesterday very big city with alot of jobs, alot of opportunity there.

yes, it is. They are working on the core city--adding a Beltway and greenspace, etc.

Lots of discussion on how to improve it.

The population shifted--'white flight' of the 60's then revitalization began in the 70's and so on. I suppose it is true of many cities --you can go from an expensive/upper class area to a very impoverished area in minutes. Lots of growth on the west side of town, formerly the more industrial side with many of the poverty pockets. Now it is compared by some to Chicago. The traffic is often compared to LA's.

If you want to spend several hours a day in traffic and have a larger home/yard for less money you live 20-30 miles away.

yes, it is. They are working on the core city--adding a Beltway and greenspace, etc.

The population shifted--'white flight' of the 60's then revitalization began in the 70's and so on. I suppose it is true of many cities --you can go from an expensive/upper class area to a very impoverished area in minutes. Lots of growth on the west side of town, formerly the more industrial side with many of the poverty pockets. Now it is compared by some to Chicago. The traffic is often compared to LA's.

If you want to spend several hours a day in traffic and have a larger home/yard for less money you live 20-30 miles away.

Atlanta is one of the more diverse cities in the south too, I was at the international food market in Decatur and I saw people from India, China, Darfur, Ethopia, Germany etc etc

Thanks for the internet research suggestions. Wikipedia lists 22 cities with populations over 100,000 that have a majority of black population: (Apologies for the bad formatting)

Rank City Percentage African American African American Population
1 Detroit, Michigan 82.7 590,226
2 Jackson, Mississippi 79.4 137,716
3 Miami Gardens, Florida 76.3 81,776
4 Birmingham, Alabama 73.4 155,791
5 Baltimore, Maryland 63.7 395,781
6 Memphis, Tennessee 63.3 409,687
7 New Orleans, Louisiana 60.2 206,871
8 Baton Rouge, Louisiana 58.5 126,250
9 Wilmington, Delaware 58 41,326
10 Flint, Michigan 56.6 57,939
11 Savannah, Georgia 55.4 75,507
12 Augusta, Georgia 54.7 107,182
13 Shreveport, Louisiana 54.7 109,022
14 Montgomery, Alabama 54.5 116,524
15 Atlanta, Georgia 54.0 226,894
16 Cleveland, Ohio 53.3 211,672
16 Portsmouth, Virginia 53.3 50,878
17 Harrisburg, Pennsylvania 52.4 25,957
18 Newark, New Jersey 52.4 145,085
19 Valdosta, Georgia 51.1 27,860
20 Washington, D.C. 50.7 305,125
21 Richmond, Virginia 50.6 103,342
22 Mobile, Alabama 50.6 98,691

The crime statistics don't easily correlate so give me a minute to see which high-crime cities I need to strike from the list. Then I'll go through and see which cities have primarily a black leadership.

Atlanta is one of the more diverse cities in the south too, I was at the international food market in Decatur and I saw people from India, China, Darfur, Ethopia, Germany etc etc

You are probably speaking of the DeKalb Farmers' Market? Yes--that is a good one.

Chambleee---about 10 miles NE of Decatur is considered the International corridor. There are several more ethnic markets/grocery stores --the DeKalb Farmers' Market is probably the largest--I should know and don't know--it has been around since the mid 70's, IIRC.

If you go about 10 more miles north the Gwinnett Mall area is very diverse. Majority white in the 80's and distinctly Asian/Hispanic now. It has been a challenging process but in general things seem to be going better. Lots of community building and effort from LE.

Atlanta also seems to be on the drug route from Miami to Canada and that is a concern. 'Growing pains', I suppose.

Rank City Percentage African American

11 Savannah, Georgia 55.4 - crime statistics not published
12 Augusta, Georgia 54.7 - crime statistics not published

So far, all the cities have been eliminated except those above. Sadly, some of the cities were far too easy to eliminate since they were so high on the crime rank list.

HOWEVER, I will note that not all of the highest ranking crime cities were on my list of majority black cities.

Also, I was very surprised by the amount of crime in Pennsylvania. There are a lot of cities there that were very high on the crime ranking list.

I would a real estate site that says Augusta has a significantly high crime rate - not only in the USA but also compared to other cities in Georgia. That is too bad because their city website looked awesome.

Still researching.

Do white wingers realize that blacks make up only 11 or 12% of the entire US Population?

Sadly, Savannah is also off the list. Their violent crime rate is only slightly above the national average but their property crime rate is staggering.

I'm really disappointed.

Sadly, Savannah is also off the list. Their violent crime rate is only slightly above the national average but their property crime rate is staggering.

I'm really disappointed.

You mean in Georgia? Where right wingers have nearly destroyed agriculture?

ROTTEN IN THE FIELDS / what immigration reform means to the American consumer

A survey of Georgia farmers found more than 11,000 jobs going unfilled as workers left the state in the wake of enactment of anti-immigrant legislation. The President of the Georgia Agribusiness Council estimated the revenues lost to the state’s farmers could top $1 billion and could spiral out of control.

The state’s response was to attempt to recruit probationers for the jobs. But the president of the Georgia Fruit and Vegetable Growers Assn. reported most of the probationers quite after just one day, with many leaving after 30 minutes because the work was so difficult. Some two-thirds of the probationers were gone in a matter of days.

Arizona, another state that has enacted draconian anti-immigrant legislation, has seen more than 17,000 acres taken out of cultivation as farmers faced severe labor shortages.

------------------------------------------

You see it again and again. Anyplace you put Republicans in charge, everything goes to shit. They just can't help themselves employing their loony and destructive policies.

Los Angeles.

Forum List

Back