Name An Item In The Room

My fly rod.
Hi B. Glad you said that. My brother just bought property and a little rver runs through it. I guess there are Brook and brown trout in it. I have a little flat bottom boat I'm going to use. I'm assuming I should use thin string and corn? Any advice be appreciated

My fly rod.
Hi B. Glad you said that. My brother just bought property and a little rver runs through it. I guess there are Brook and brown trout in it. I have a little flat bottom boat I'm going to use. I'm assuming I should use thin string and corn? Any advice be appreciated
Live bait such as spiders work well...
I'll use their own webbing against them.

I love my little flat bottom boat with troll motor. I don't have to keep casting and reeling I can just troll up and down the river.

We can see on Google maps there are a lot of fallen trees we need do do something about

My fly rod.
The corn is a great idea especially if the stream is stocked. I used to take kids to a high class fly fishing camp in Maryland. It was amusing to watch people spend hours tying flies to match the local insect population and then catch nothing. I'd throw a kernel of corn out and catch fish all day. Those fish had grown up in a pond being fed and had never seen insects before.

If they are native you really do need to investigate the local insect population to see what they eat naturally. You can look for books specific for where you are which is helpful but the best thing you can do is talk to the locals. In any kind of fishing there is nothing that replaces local knowledge.

I'm afraid I'm not much help with brooks & browns, I fish steelhead all winter and bass mostly the rest of the year. I will tell you though with an extra light rod, fly fishing blue gill is a riot. For their size they are extreme fighters and on a light rod it feels like you're fighting a tarpon. I had an old timer tell me once that if god had created a five pound bluegill you'd need deep sea gear to get it in. Fishing bluegill is also a great way to get used to a fly rod. Her's sure fire fly for bluegill.

Bully's Bluegill Spider Flies - Bream Bugs

We grew up using cane poles....bait, was what ever you could find or catch.....
Cool, they work! I've only used one for crappie. For me it was your typical $5 rod and a Zebco 202. Fishing is all about knowledge. I was taught that 10% of fisherman catch 90% of the fish because 90% of the fish are in 10% of the water and knowing where that 10% of the water is and what they're eating is the key.

My fly rod.
The corn is a great idea especially if the stream is stocked. I used to take kids to a high class fly fishing camp in Maryland. It was amusing to watch people spend hours tying flies to match the local insect population and then catch nothing. I'd throw a kernel of corn out and catch fish all day. Those fish had grown up in a pond being fed and had never seen insects before.

If they are native you really do need to investigate the local insect population to see what they eat naturally. You can look for books specific for where you are which is helpful but the best thing you can do is talk to the locals. In any kind of fishing there is nothing that replaces local knowledge.

I'm afraid I'm not much help with brooks & browns, I fish steelhead all winter and bass mostly the rest of the year. I will tell you though with an extra light rod, fly fishing blue gill is a riot. For their size they are extreme fighters and on a light rod it feels like you're fighting a tarpon. I had an old timer tell me once that if god had created a five pound bluegill you'd need deep sea gear to get it in. Fishing bluegill is also a great way to get used to a fly rod. Her's sure fire fly for bluegill.

My cousin is a master angler. We went steelhead fishing and like you said everyone had these $5 egg sacks and the bottom was rocky so they were constantly losing them to snags.

My cousins solution? Yarn. Lol. Red yarn orange & yellow yarn. Cut off a snip ball it up and put it on this special loop knot he ties so he can loosen it to put a different color on if one color wasn't working.

We got 3 that day when most were getting none and they were practically lined up shoulder to shoulder on the shoreline casting drifting then dealing. Catching suckers not steelhead. That was a great experience.

We have a river here with stocked trout. They were raised on liver pellets and taste like shit.

The river I'm talking about is natural and leads to lake Michigan. Can't wait.

My fly rod.

My cousin is a master angler. We went steelhead fishing and like you said everyone had these $5 egg sacks and the bottom was rocky so they were constantly losing them to snags.

My cousins solution? Yarn. Lol. Red yarn orange & yellow yarn. Cut off a snip ball it up and put it on this special loop knot he ties so he can loosen it to put a different color on if one color wasn't working.

We got 3 that day when most were getting none and they were practically lined up shoulder to shoulder on the shoreline casting drifting then dealing. Catching suckers not steelhead. That was a great experience.

We have a river here with stocked trout. They were raised on liver pellets and taste like shit.

The river I'm talking about is natural and leads to lake Michigan. Can't wait.
Sounds awesome, the steelhead that is. I fish a river about 15 minutes west of Cleveland, great steelhead water. I use a fly rod just for something different, plus it gives me something to do tying flies. Last spring, I think it was mid april I went down to see if the white bass wee moving in and caught a steelhead on a white curly tail grub, a dozen for 4 bucks. I don't know if I laugh more at the expensive baits or the 5 thousand dollars worth of rods, reels, waders, vests, sunglasses, etc. My father calls it fashion fishing. Hey if you can't catch fish, might as well look good.

I was hoping to get up to Mich later this year to fish over Superior way for salmon, same thing I got a ringer that lives up there.
Sadly I don't think I can make it this year, maybe next. If you ever get a chance come down to Erie for the small mouth bass.
I was up on Peelee Island last spring standing in chest deep water skipping flies in about 15 ft of water, the smallies would come blasting out of the water like friggin ICBMs from a sub. Unbelievable fish, they are shaped like bluegill, my buddy calls them "hubcaps". Might have been the funnest fishing I've ever done.

Forum List

Back