Negotiate?

Obama and the GOP should negotiate on the govt. shutdown.

I have no problem with that.

But negotiate over the debt ceiling? no way!!!!!

Congress approved the spending and the tax policies, and the debt & deficit is a result of that.

They MUST approve all required borrowing to pay for the spending they approved!!!!

Congress responded to Obama blackmail. Congress did not approve increased spending by citizens for/on Obamacare.

Congress "fighting fire with fire" is acceptable.

Obama and cohorts are incompetent liars, and need to be stopped wherever possible! Anyone supporting them around here are dirtbags!:mad:

translation= I got nothing so I have to stamp my feet and cry like boehner and call people names ...

Congress approved the spending and the tax policies, and the debt & deficit is a result of that.

They MUST approve all required borrowing to pay for the spending they approved!!!!

Congress responded to Obama blackmail. Congress did not approve increased spending by citizens for/on Obamacare.

Obama and cohorts are incompetent liars, and need to be stopped wherever possible! Anyone supporting them around here are dirtbags!:mad:

translation= I got nothing so I have to stamp my feet and cry like boehner and call people names ...

^ that. He's a fringer.

As to the OP- Repubs are making stuff up. They need to go through the normal legislative process.

^ that. He's a fringer.

As to the OP- Repubs are making stuff up. They need to go through the normal legislative process.

That, my ignorant friend, is exactly what they are doing.

Where did you get this? Citing the Executive Power Vesting Clause does not apply, it is outrightly irrelevant.

Ah, so you don't read facts provided. No wonder you can stay in your little RW bubble. It's from the link I provided..the one that talks about how delaying the employer mandate doesn't violate anything...if it did, noted car thief and suspected arsonist Daryl Issa would be all over it. :lol:

The fact you cannot refrain from namecalling means your argument is thereby wrong. Read the edition and get back to me. I have over 220+ years of constitutional doctrine backing my argument. You have an opinion piece.

Namecalling? WTF are you talking about? I didn't call you any names.

When you gonna sue?

actually Harry Reid popularity has become higher .... Wdy do I say this ....finally he's grown a pair and told you republicans enough is enough ... were not going to play you game any more .... he has the entire democratic party along with the Independents and the people behind him ....you republiclowns can't stand it .... can you say Mrs. speaker Nancy Pelosi ???? Sure we can ... and you and other moron like yourself will be ragging the entire time Pelosi this, Pelosi that, did you see what she passed today ??? damn that Pelosi the people likes her, except us republiclowns

Sure it has. Harry Reid is reaaaaaaaaally popular now.

As I so clearly stated, this is the highlight of the Democrat Party. When they're causing a crisis.

Quit lying to yourself goofball.
was it the democrats that put in repeal ACA in thed budget bill ???? NOOOOOOOOOO !!!! that was the republicans ... was it the democrats that put in a removal of a tax on medical devices ??? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!! that was the republicans .... each and every time the republicans were told to pass a clean bill, they, the republicans chose to ignore Harry Reid and the president along with all the democrats .... the fact that you don't understand who did what to whom, is troubling here ... if anyone here's lying, you goof ball, that would be you ...

hey Billy?.....how come you wont answer my question?....is that David Spade in your Avi?....christ i asked you 5 times now in various threads.....

Who said they were "vetoing" anything? They are submitting a repeal through the proper channels. That isn't hostage taking, that's how it should be done. They passed three CR's with the repeal, delay, or repeal of the medical device tax. The Senate rejected them on each occasion. If they were serious about funding the government, they would negotiate or pass the bill as is. It appears to me that Harry Reid and the Democrats in the Senate would rather grandstand than negotiate.

there is a reason i call this Asshole....No_Reply_Jones.....just sayin.....

hers what TemplarKormac; doesn't get what the medical tax is ...this is where the ACA gets it funding to help pay for the people who need financial assistance ... the tax is 2.2% on medical devices ... this tax can't be passed on to the consumer ... through the ACA there are taxes that are use to pay for the health care of people who can't afford it and needs assistance that doesn't tax the american citizen... now that we understand what the tax is for ... this is a underhanded way of defunding the ACA ...the republicans know this and so the democrats .... the Dems say hell NO your not coming through the back door and defund the ACA ...GET IT TemplarKormac;???

as for the repealing of ACA ...the Republicans don't have to go through the budget ... the republicans can at any time they feel like it bring a bill to the floor to defund ACA ... the only reason they are putting it in the Budget and the debt ceiling bill is to put a gun to your head and say sign on the dotted line or else ... you can tap dance all you want TemplarKormac; but we don't by it

what the fuck does that have to do with what i said?....:eusa_eh:

Look its the idea itself that is whats popular. The problem is actually having a party that would become popular. What specific politics would it have that would make it popular enough to draw people from both the left and the right? Would the candidate be charismatic enough?

how about a party that is talking about the Country and meaning it.....not this phony bullshit that is there now.....a party that isnt calling everyone who doesnt see eye to eye with them names......a party that isnt actively dividing the Country but one who you can see trying to bring everyone together to bring us back up to the levels we used to be at or higher.....and hopefully someone who is an actual LEADER,something we dont have right now,will come out of hiding and LEAD this thing.......

we live in the real world not your fantasy land
your Far Left World is not the real world Billy.....yea i know....they told you it was....maybe you and "Dottie" can help each other pop your heads out of the asses you 2 are stuck in....give it a shot.....you might actually see the real world.....

^ that. He's a fringer.

was that a "tongue in cheek" moment "Dottie?"....

negotiate over the shutdown.

the debt ceiling? no fucking way. it should have been raised months ago.

Ok but what you're not getting is that we aren't talking about some 5% lead here. Republican approval ratings are abysmal by comparison. Democrats may be unpopular, but if the country had to choose one of these parties to lead the country, people would overwhelming choose democrats at this point.

A third party is a popular idea, but the chances are pretty damn slim that an actual third party could possibly rise to power.

Yet republicans are leading in generic polls, go figure.

No. They are not.

I notice you didn't link to proof of your allegation - probably because you can't.

I should have said the commies have lost their lead in generic polls, they are tied. And here's your link since your google is broke.

Generic Congressional Ballot - Rasmussen Reports?

it's really funny, I haven't heard the GOP say "We will not negotiate" not once. however that's been the mantra of obama and his minions.

Gosh, you are a fucking idiot. Dems were willing to give the GOP the Ryan Budget and compromise on tens of billions in spending.

At one point, the GOP declared this a victory, but they acted like petulant children and demanded more. After 40 unsuccessful attempts and despite the SCOTUS throwing it in their face, Republicans keep on working to deny poor people and people with preexisting conditions health care.

You people are toast. Do everyone a favor and drown yourself.

I am absolutely positive you can't find a single time where Pelosi or Reid said that they were willing to pass the Ryan budget. On the other hand, I can point to actual votes in Congress where Democrats did not vote for the Ryan budget.

Despite this, I am willing to bet right now that you will continue to insist that your version of reality is the truth.

The Chutzpah of “Compromise”
For the first time, a single party, controlling a single house of Congress—despite having lost the popular vote for that chamber by more than a million ballots in the most recent election—is refusing to fund the government unless the other chamber and the president agree to suspend previously enacted legislation.

That’s some chutzpah. No wonder President Obama and the Senate have refused to capitulate. And for this, in a final stroke of chutzpah, the GOP accuses them of intransigence.[...]

Sorry, Republicans. Nothing in the Constitution authorizes a single house of Congress to retroactively veto U.S. law by refusing to fund the rest of the government. The manner in which you’re attempting this blackmail—on party-line votes, engineered by the party that lost the popular vote—doesn’t help. The Senate and the president have no legal or moral obligation to humor your demands. Do your job, or we’ll throw you out.​

Let me get this straight, when Democrats retroactively vetoed funding for the MX missile it was unconstitutional. Does that mean the company can sue the government and force them to buy it, or does it actually mean you are talking out your ass?

Sorry, Republicans. Nothing in the Constitution authorizes a single house of Congress to retroactively veto U.S. law by refusing to fund the rest of the government. The manner in which you’re attempting this blackmail—on party-line votes, engineered by the party that lost the popular vote—doesn’t help. The Senate and the president have no legal or moral obligation to humor your demands. Do your job, or we’ll throw you out.
Exactly.

There is nothing justifying republicans holding the country hostage where the ransom is the economic well-being of the Nation.

The American people know this, and are admonishing the GOP accordingly.

I am sure the self declared expert on Constitutional law will be able to explain why it is unprecedented for this to happen when Obama himself supported the strategy when he was a Senator.

That's a lie, what I am sure of is that the hack will ignore anything that contradicts him.

Not true. Delaying Parts of Obamacare: 'Blatantly Illegal' or Routine Adjustment?

The GOP is attempting to govern by blackmail. Were it a Republican President :)lol:) and Senate and the progressive caucus in the House were doing this over legislation they didn't like, you'd be peeing your pants here on a daily basis.

This is not how legislation is overturned.

I'm sorry, throwing links and talking points at me will not win you this argument, for which you failed to address at all. You don't simply react by circumventing the law. At least the GOP is using legitimate political processes to "govern by blackmail," Obama on the other hand flat out breached his authority under the Constitution.

What Obama did was show contempt for the co-equal branches of government. Congress alone has the power to enact legislation and amendments to previously enacted legislation.

I'm afraid legal precedent trumps your opinion of the matter.

"There is no provision in the Constitution that authorizes the president to enact, to amend, or to repeal statutes."

Justice John Paul Stevens, in Clinton v. City of New York 524 U.S. 417 (1998)

Obama violates the Presentment Clause of the US Constitution when he attempts to change law.
The Presentment Clause, which is contained in Article I, Section 7, Clauses 2 and 3, provides:

Every Bill which shall have passed the House of Representatives and the Senate, shall, before it become a Law, be presented to the President of the United States: If he approve he shall sign it, but if not he shall return it, with his Objections to that House in which it shall have originated, who shall enter the Objections at large on their Journal, and proceed to reconsider it. If after such Reconsideration two thirds of that House shall agree to pass the Bill, it shall be sent, together with the Objections, to the other House, by which it shall likewise be reconsidered, and if approved by two thirds of that House, it shall become a Law. But in all such Cases the Votes of both Houses shall be determined by Yeas and Nays, and the Names of the Persons voting for and against the Bill shall be entered on the Journal of each House respectively. If any Bill shall not be returned by the President within ten Days (Sundays excepted) after it shall have been presented to him, the Same shall be a Law, in like Manner as if he had signed it, unless the Congress by their Adjournment prevent its Return, in which Case it shall not be a Law.

Every Order, Resolution, or Vote to which the Concurrence of the Senate and House of Representatives may be necessary (except on a question of Adjournment) shall be presented to the President of the United States; and before the Same shall take Effect, shall be approved by him, or being disapproved by him, shall be repassed by two thirds of the Senate and House of Representatives, according to the Rules and Limitations prescribed in the Case of a Bill.
In fact, applicable judicial precedent places such timing adjustments well within the Executive Branch's lawful discretion. To be sure, the federal Administrative Procedure Act authorizes federal courts to compel agencies to initiate statutorily required actions that have been "unreasonably delayed." But courts have found delays to be unreasonable only in rare cases where, unlike this one, inaction had lasted for several years, and the recalcitrant agency could offer neither a persuasive excuse nor a credible end to its dithering. In deciding whether a given agency delay is reasonable, current law tells courts to consider whether expedited action could adversely affect "higher or competing" agency priorities, and whether other interests could be "prejudiced by the delay." Even in cases where an agency outright refuses to enforce a policy in specified types of cases -- not the case here -- the Supreme Court has declined to intervene. As held by former Chief Justice William Rehnquist in a leading case on this subject, Heckler v. Chaney, courts must respect an agency's presumptively superior grasp of "the many variables involved in the proper ordering of its priorities." Chief Justice Rehnquist suggested that courts could lose their deference to Executive Branch judgment if an "agency has consciously and expressly adopted a general policy that is so extreme as to amount to an abdication of its statutory responsibilities."

Let me guess, you think using a pretty color somehow trumps the fact that the law specifically specifies the timing, and that there is no judicial precedent anywhere that allows the president to ignore the law.

Tough shit. Negotiations over the debt ceiling have been going on for decades, and Obama was part of them from both sides. Yet, for some reason, everyone wants to pretend they never happened before.

obama acts illegally on so many levels, Issa can only hit the high spots. obama should really be impeached for severe malfeasance of office.

^ We need to start a thread to the # of posts where rw'ers call for impeachment. :rolleyes: Heres a clue so you don't have to buy one: win an election & you don't have to go that route sugar tits. :thup: Glad to help :)

As to the OP, The President is right to hold the repubs feet to the fire because all they've done in the past is stall & delay in an effort to run out the clock/waste time. rw'ers on this board even admit thats what they sent their teapublicans to Washington to do. :eusa_eh:

Simply start a thread titled: “The Repository of Conservative Stupidity.”

It would be multi-page in no time.

I bet i could beat it just using the posts from two posters, rdean, and you.

Bush raised the debt to pay for Medicare Part D (unfunded) and invading Iraq (unneccessary).

Obama raised the debt to get us out of a Great Recession.

There is a difference.

Yes, Bush raised the debt ceiling, and actually accomplished something. Obama raised the debt ceiling over a lie, and made things worse.

Forum List

Back