New Black Panther Marvel Character

Was this given the go ahead because of the world wide support for the Black Panthers during the Super Bowl performance by Beyonce...

Funny story. At one time Marvel briefly changed his name to the Black Leopard because some people thought his name was in reference to The Black Panther Party even though his name predates the BPP. The new name never caught on so they reverted it back to The Black Panther. :thup:

It will be his first movie appearance

No, it won't. The character is in Captain America: Civil War, which is in theaters today.

I hear The Avengers are giving him a separate water fountain to drink out of.
he will share one with Falcon....

You think they make them sit in the back of the Quinjet?
the Panther has his own jet....so he might make everyone sit in the back....

This is good news. Always wanted to see a Black superhero named after one of my favorite Black groups. I head Stan Lee based the characters Magneto and Professor X on Malcolm X and MLK.

This is good news. Always wanted to see a Black superhero named after one of my favorite Black groups. I head Stan Lee based the characters Magneto and Professor X on Malcolm X and MLK.

The Marvel character of Black Panther pre-dates the BPP, actually.

Huey Newton and Bobby Seale found the BPP in October 1966, the character first appeared in July 1966.

Huey Newton and Bobby Seale found the BPP in October 1966, the character first appeared in July 1966.
They BPP was actually started in 1964 at Merritt college in Oakland CA. I know because my father was part of it. Dont believe everything on the internet.

They BPP was actually started in 1964 at Merritt college in Oakland CA. I know because my father was part of it. Dont believe everything on the internet.

It wasn't officially named the Black Panther Party until 1966. Months after Marvel named the character.

It wasn't officially named the Black Panther Party until 1966. Months after Marvel named the character.
Doesnt mean much since they called it the BPP long before the official announcement.

I head Stan Lee based the characters Magneto and Professor X on Malcolm X and MLK.

This is actually true.
Did Stan Lee admit this?

I believe it was Stan Lee who said Professor X was based on MLK, and Chris Claremont later confirmed that Magneto was based on Malcolm X, as well as saying Professor X was based on MLK.
I thought it was stereotypical since Malcolm was much more complex than Magneto and actually changed his views towards the end of his life and Dr. King was much more militant than the general public seems to know about.

I'm not going from what I've read on the internet, I'm going from what I've read in Bobby Seale's autobiography, and in countless other books.

I have no doubt that your father was a member of the Merritt AAA, or another precursor to the BPP, but it's well documented that the BPP was founded on October 15th, 1966. They're planning events here in Oakland for the 50th anniversary this year.

I'm not a lightweight on this topic, I wrote my thesis on the 60s radical left - and while your father may have been involved in the BPP, my mother was a member of SDS.

How militant could that drunk Dr King be, staggering from blonde whore to blonde whore?

I'm not going from what I've read on the internet, I'm going from what I've read in Bobby Seale's autobiography, and in countless other books.

I have no doubt that your father was a member of the Merritt AAA, or another precursor to the BPP, but it's well documented that the BPP was founded on October 15th, 1966. They're planning events here in Oakland for the 50th anniversary this year.

I'm not a lightweight on this topic, I wrote my thesis on the 60s radical left - and while your father may have been involved in the BPP, my mother was a member of SDS.
I wouldnt consider you a lightweight. i'm saying I heard it from the source. The name was used long before the official announcement.

the Black Panthers name was inspired by a pulp adventure hero,name unknown,who had a Black Panther as a helper...

The BPP took their name and symbol from an organization Stokely Carmichael formed in Alabama in 1965, which Newton and Seale learned about when Carmichael came to Berkeley in 1966, when he was still in charge of SNCC. That meeting is also generally thought to have the first use of the term "black power".

The BPP took their name and symbol from an organization Stokely Carmichael formed in Alabama in 1965, which Newton and Seale learned about when Carmichael came to Berkeley in 1966, when he was still in charge of SNCC. That meeting is also generally thought to have the first use of the term "black power".
I heard it came from some battalion in WWII

Forum List

Back