🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

New emotional support animal policy to tighten up regs

The idea of service animals is a complicated one in the US and widely abused. We aren't allowed to ask someone the specifics of their disability or need and there is no training/licensing requirement for those animals. I think the latter is a huge problem because every Tom, Dick, and Hairy can claim to have a service animal.

Animals trained by reputable agencies - such as Guide Dogs for the Blind go through extensive training, and may wash out and become wonderful pets. But that training is continued with the new handler, and refreshed regularly. It guarantees the animal's right to accompany it's owners and to be a GOOD CITIZEN. I can register my Cujoette dog online, as a service dog, based on my word only and get a "license", tag, and "vest" for the dog. Pretty nutty no?

A therapy dog is not the same as an emotional support animal. I don't think ES animals require training other than to calm the owner somehow.

I approve of Therapy Dogs and so does Mr. Lucy he's a Psychiatrist and has often also recommended Therapy Dogs to various of his patients, but you know has anyone ever heard of a Therapy Peacock? Thought not.

It was an emotional support peacock, not a therapy peacock. Thus, it requires no training or taming. It just needs to be a comfort to its owner by its mere presence. That's what needs tightening up IMO.

Actually...even emotional support animals should have a level of basic training to be out in public - something like the CGC for example.

A therapy dog is not the same as an emotional support animal. I don't think ES animals require training other than to calm the owner somehow.

I approve of Therapy Dogs and so does Mr. Lucy he's a Psychiatrist and has often also recommended Therapy Dogs to various of his patients, but you know has anyone ever heard of a Therapy Peacock? Thought not.

It was an emotional support peacock, not a therapy peacock. Thus, it requires no training or taming. It just needs to be a comfort to its owner by its mere presence. That's what needs tightening up IMO.

Well okay, but in no circumstances should something like a peacock or whatever be allowed onto a plane with other passengers and I do not care if the thing is an Emotional Support, you have to think of the other passengers in a situation like that and also there are safety issues, as I already comment if a thing like that flipped and lost the plot 30,000 feet in the air it could cause the plane to crash or anything.

Agreed. We can't have anything without some asshole ruining it.

I also think they should get rid of these vague categories. Every animal is an emotional support animal...mine most certainly are and I put in time and effort training them to go places with me. Some can't, some can. I think there should be a basic test an animal and handler can take, and if he passes - they can take their animal in any place that allows support or service animals.

Unfortunately, people are not tough like they once were. My father, during wwii had it tough, but he managed. There was an innate pain that he lived with, though. He covered it well, but I could read it in his eyes. Toward the end of his life he once finally spoke to me of the horrors he saw.
I feel it can be of benefit for those that faced actual battle.
The whole idea of "therapy animals" is goofy. Ok, if you're blind or disabled and need a guide dog, well fine.

But dragging a dog around with you everywhere you go, just because you got your feelings hurt? Man up and suck it in, snowflakes.

I guess people are more fragile than they were in the old days. I have an Uncle who was stationed on some Pacific island during WW2. He saw some pretty horrible things, including a Japanese bonzai attack. I also have two brothers in law who served in Vietnam. One was almost over-ran and the other came home with some shrapnel from a grenade.

All of them seem to be well-adjusted and you wouldn't know what they went through.

The whole idea of "therapy animals" is goofy. Ok, if you're blind or disabled and need a guide dog, well fine.

But dragging a dog around with you everywhere you go, just because you got your feelings hurt? Man up and suck it in, snowflakes.

We must disagree we often do not disagree, but an animal can be of immense emotional comfort to various people, not only the sick but also people who are lonely and have no relatives near or have no relatives at all, literally in these cases an animal can keep them alive, give them something to keep on living for because they have something to care for who needs them and in return that animal gives them what they need comfort, companionship and unconditional love.

They have also proven invaluable to veterans suffering from PTSD.

Actually...even emotional support animals should have a level of basic training to be out in public - something like the CGC for example.

But you would agree that it's ridiculous and a potential danger to be having things like peacocks on commercial airplanes, yes?

Unfortunately, people are not tough like they once were. My father, during wwii had it tough, but he managed. There was an innate pain that he lived with, though. He covered it well, but I could read it in his eyes. Toward the end of his life he once finally spoke to me of the horrors he saw.
I feel it can be of benefit for those that faced actual battle.

I guess people are more fragile than they were in the old days. I have an Uncle who was stationed on some Pacific island during WW2. He saw some pretty horrible things, including a Japanese bonzai attack. I also have two brothers in law who served in Vietnam. One was almost over-ran and the other came home with some shrapnel from a grenade.

All of them seem to be well-adjusted and you wouldn't know what they went through.

....if you could have found a way to help him through it...you would have though.... Tough is fine...but overrated when there are other options? :dunno: I do think animals - for those receptive to them - can help a lot of people.

My animals bring me comfort, but I don’t take them everywhere with me. And that is what many of these people are doing, using them as a crutch so they can go anywhere.

They should, but they don't. Luckily, ES animals are not required to be accommodated. I did see a diner get slammed on social media for not allowing an ES dog inside, though. Most people don't realize that doesn't mean they are trained.

But you would agree that it's ridiculous and a potential danger to be having things like peacocks on commercial airplanes, yes?

Absolutely.

They should, but they don't. Luckily, ES animals are not required to be accommodated. I did see a diner get slammed on social media for not allowing an ES dog inside, though. Most people don't realize that doesn't mean they are trained.

I know...and it kind of pisses me off....my well trained non-emotional support dogs can't go there but an untrained dog can?

He'll yeah. I just meant now we can't have a lapdog in a carrying case because some jerk wants his emotional support horse to ride in the cabin.

We must disagree we often do not disagree, but an animal can be of immense emotional comfort to various people, not only the sick but also people who are lonely and have no relatives near or have no relatives at all, literally in these cases an animal can keep them alive, give them something to keep on living for because they have something to care for who needs them and in return that animal gives them what they need comfort, companionship and unconditional love.

Yes they have and also I add homeless people which is why many times people see the homeless and they have a dog as their only companion, although that's for a different thread, I do not want to derail Tommy's thread by me having a massive rant about how disgusting I think it is that in 2018 Western nations STILL have too many people living on the streets. WTF?! I'm sure any moment now JGalt could be calling me COMMUNIST or whatever :omg:

Hey JGalt :poke:

My animals bring me comfort, but I don’t take them everywhere with me. And that is what many of these people are doing, using them as a crutch so they can go anywhere.

I take my dogs a lot of places, simply because I like their company. But I won't force their company on others and I won't allow them to be rude, obnoxious or aggressive around other people. The dogs I have that don't have the temperment to handle it get other outings.

He'll yeah. I just meant now we can't have a lapdog in a carrying case because some jerk wants his emotional support horse to ride in the cabin.

I'm waiting for the emotional support elephant...

United changes emotional support animal policy after peacock fiasco

I missed this story.

Basically this bloke wanted to take his pet bird on the flight and got knocked back. Hats off to the airline imho.
I would be livid if I had to sit next to livestock on a flight.

And it want even something small like a sparrow.

It was a bloody big peacock.

Are you with United or the weirdo ?

I first heard about these 'emotional' support animals on flights about six months ago and immediately thought wtf they're allowing animals on flights? It is stupid as hell. You can't make a six hour flight without an animal with you then you should be taking the bus. Yes let's inconvenience all of humanity for 3 people. Dumb idea whose time has already passed. How about have the person get in a crate with the animal in the cargo hold.

Last edited:
I have a mind to get a young alligator, cut off his tail and paint him yellow. Ain't no airline gonna mess with my dog.

I'm curious about this one Pismoe...why do you find it funny? The other "funnies" you do I get, but not this one.

What is the CGC?

Forum List

Back