Next SCOTUS case may give ALL Americans a constitutional right to conceal carry guns in public

I have a slight problem with the title of this thread.

"Next SCOTUS case may give ALL Americans a constitutional right to conceal carry guns in public"

Our right to keep and bear arms is not something that is "given" to us - not even by the Constitution itself.

The right to keep and bear arms is hundreds of years older than our country and our Constitution. Ask yourself where the founding fathers got THEIR right to keep and bear arms - when they took up arms against King George. The Constitution hadn't even been contemplated at that point.

Anyway, that's my observation.

Carry on!
It's a loaded thread title -- that's just part of the problem.

Peruta applies specifically to California.

Therefore it is unlikely that it will have non-California application.

Oh yea, same thing here, especially when they incorporated our Castle Doctrine for CCW holders in their car. They predicted massive road rage murders. Never happened.

Recently, they passed a law that allows us to carry guns where alcohol is sold. Of course you can't drink while carrying, but the libs predicted gun fights like the old west used to have when people had too much to drink. Never happened.

Study: Road rage incidents involving guns are increasing
Posting meaningless crap is a poor debate tactic.

Rate Of U.S. Gun Violence Has Fallen Since 1993, Study Says

But the rate of violence in other countries has also fallen. It's based on there being better entertainment at home, so less people are likely to be hanging out on the streets getting up to no good.
I believe you and a few other leftist wackados need to educate yourselves regarding the rate of ownership vs homicides and get back to us afterwards. Hint: there is comprehensive study on the topic, complete with pictures even the dumbest liberal will comprehend.

In our state a business is allowed to restrict guns from their place of business by placing a sign on the door. I don't patron those places because I am less safe. Years after we started our CCW program, most places don't even have that sign on the door except for companies. But stores and places that serve the public took them all down.
We got rid of that crap years ago. They can have a sign, but it is meaningless.

And also by educating them on firearm safety.

99.9% of people are probably better off just staying away from guns. I can't see spending class time on gun safety.

It all depends on where you live, what your circumstances are, if you are capable of defending yourself without one.........

I never messed with guns when I was younger. My father would never dream of owning a gun and nobody I knew had one as a kid. When I got older, one day I came home after work and my door was broken down and my VCR was gone. I knew who did it and I knew what they were capable of, so I bought a gun.

During the housing bubble, all the lowlifes from the inner-city started moving in. With them came the crime. That's when I decided to get my CCW.

You may not have ever shot a gun in your life, but remember this: one of the reasons you are safe in your home is because we Americans have that right to own a gun. Criminals have no idea if you armed or not, so if they decide to rob your home, they will do what they can to make sure you are not home when they do.

And that makes you safe in your home? No, it doesn't. It might give you the feeling of security, but you can still be robbed, and you're more likely to be killed.

Sure, you can still be robbed if you are sleeping or something, but let me tell you that if somebody starts breaking down my door, I'll have one in the chamber before they get in, and yes, that makes me safer. In fact, the idea that I might have a gun in my home makes me safer.

No, that just makes it more likely the criminal will be armed making you less safe.

Right. So what you're saying is that if a criminal suspected I wasn't armed, he would enter my home peacefully and ask to take my things? But if he knew I was armed, he might bring a firearm himself and risk his life for a couple hundred or couple thousand bucks?

Criminals may be dumb, but they're not risk takers when it comes to their own life. If a criminal knew I was armed, he would make damn sure I wasn't home when he came to steal my things.

And also by educating them on firearm safety.

99.9% of people are probably better off just staying away from guns. I can't see spending class time on gun safety.

It all depends on where you live, what your circumstances are, if you are capable of defending yourself without one.........

I never messed with guns when I was younger. My father would never dream of owning a gun and nobody I knew had one as a kid. When I got older, one day I came home after work and my door was broken down and my VCR was gone. I knew who did it and I knew what they were capable of, so I bought a gun.

During the housing bubble, all the lowlifes from the inner-city started moving in. With them came the crime. That's when I decided to get my CCW.

You may not have ever shot a gun in your life, but remember this: one of the reasons you are safe in your home is because we Americans have that right to own a gun. Criminals have no idea if you armed or not, so if they decide to rob your home, they will do what they can to make sure you are not home when they do.

So have you ever used one in defense?

I have shot many, just never out of any necessity.

I don't buy it makes us any safer at all. Gun owners just guarantee more criminals with guns. Many countries with few guns are far safer than us. And just look how many people are accidently shot.

Gun bans didn't work in the countries they were tried. Did you ever take note how mass shootings almost always happen in gun free zones? Why do you suppose gunmen choose gun free zones in the first place?

If you don't believe guns make us safer, get a huge sign made that says WE HAVE NO FIREARMS IN THIS HOUSE and hang that sign on your front porch. Get back to us in a couple months and let us know how it worked out for you.........if you're still here that is.

You seem to have ignored all the facts. We have the most guns in the world, yet are far from the safest. Many countries with far fewer guns have much lower violent crime rates. Guns aren't making anyone safer.

It makes me safer, and that's all that counts.

If not being armed makes you safer, why do our police carry guns?

Our crime is not because of guns, our crime is because of criminals. How long has it been since we outlawed recreational drugs? Yet in spite or our laws, drug usage, overdose and deaths are at a record high.

I have several concerns about this:

First off I don't think people should be carrying a gun without training and a license. The way it is now, there is a strict background check, and you have to pass a written test followed by a range test to make sure you know how to handle a firearm.

Next is asking if this would do any good? Being able to legally use a gun is only as good as the laws that protect the shooter. In my state of Ohio, the laws are written to give us much liberty if using deadly force; the state is supports the victim. But even if I could use my license in places like New York or California, I would be scared to use my firearm unless I knew it was either that, or face certain death. Even if totally legal, the state is still against armed citizens and can write the laws so you just about can't use your gun for self-defense without paying some kind of penalty including prison. States like those are liberal, so they are for the criminal and against the victims.
We have Constitutional Carry in Kansas. The libs predicted the return of the Wild West (or at least their fictitious version of what they think the Wild West was). Salon published a long, poorly researched article on the topic. It never happened.

Oh yea, same thing here, especially when they incorporated our Castle Doctrine for CCW holders in their car. They predicted massive road rage murders. Never happened.

Recently, they passed a law that allows us to carry guns where alcohol is sold. Of course you can't drink while carrying, but the libs predicted gun fights like the old west used to have when people had too much to drink. Never happened.

So? Here is the main point of your story:

CBS News correspondent Jerika Duncan asked, “Is there a connection between concealed-carry permits and the amount of road rage shooting incidents?”

“We don’t have decades’ worth of data here, [but] the data that we do have suggests that that might be happening,” Burnett replied.

It "might" be happening? You mean they don't know if somebody has a CCW or not when they arrest them?

Sounds to me like he was trying to avoid the question.

Seemed appropriate since you said that wasn't happening.

What I said is that it wasn't happening because of CCW holders. And I'd bet my years paycheck to your weeks paycheck that most of those incidents involved people that were not legal to carry a firearm.

And that makes you safe in your home? No, it doesn't. It might give you the feeling of security, but you can still be robbed, and you're more likely to be killed.

Sure, you can still be robbed if you are sleeping or something, but let me tell you that if somebody starts breaking down my door, I'll have one in the chamber before they get in, and yes, that makes me safer. In fact, the idea that I might have a gun in my home makes me safer.

No, that just makes it more likely the criminal will be armed making you less safe.

Right. So what you're saying is that if a criminal suspected I wasn't armed, he would enter my home peacefully and ask to take my things? But if he knew I was armed, he might bring a firearm himself and risk his life for a couple hundred or couple thousand bucks?

Criminals may be dumb, but they're not risk takers when it comes to their own life. If a criminal knew I was armed, he would make damn sure I wasn't home when he came to steal my things.

First most of them aren't risk takers like you say, so they try to steal stuff when you aren't there. I believe you were a victim of that. They are trying not to get caught obviously.

What I'm saying is that criminals know there are lots of guns out there so they have to arm themselves. Criminals in countries with fewer guns are seldom armed with guns. More criminals with guns does not make us safer.

I don't buy it makes us any safer at all. Gun owners just guarantee more criminals with guns. Many countries with few guns are far safer than us. And just look how many people are accidently shot.

Gun bans didn't work in the countries they were tried. Did you ever take note how mass shootings almost always happen in gun free zones? Why do you suppose gunmen choose gun free zones in the first place?

If you don't believe guns make us safer, get a huge sign made that says WE HAVE NO FIREARMS IN THIS HOUSE and hang that sign on your front porch. Get back to us in a couple months and let us know how it worked out for you.........if you're still here that is.

You seem to have ignored all the facts. We have the most guns in the world, yet are far from the safest. Many countries with far fewer guns have much lower violent crime rates. Guns aren't making anyone safer.

Our crime is not because of guns, our crime is because of criminals. How long has it been since we outlawed recreational drugs? Yet in spite or our laws, drug usage, overdose and deaths are at a record high.

No it really doesn't make you safer. How many defenses you have?

Police have to apprehend criminals. Completely different than defense.

Not saying crime is because of guns. But accidental shootings are because of guns. And those don't make you safer. Because we have lots of guns we have more armed criminals. Again, doesn't make you safer.

We have Constitutional Carry in Kansas. The libs predicted the return of the Wild West (or at least their fictitious version of what they think the Wild West was). Salon published a long, poorly researched article on the topic. It never happened.

So? Here is the main point of your story:

CBS News correspondent Jerika Duncan asked, “Is there a connection between concealed-carry permits and the amount of road rage shooting incidents?”

“We don’t have decades’ worth of data here, [but] the data that we do have suggests that that might be happening,” Burnett replied.

It "might" be happening? You mean they don't know if somebody has a CCW or not when they arrest them?

Sounds to me like he was trying to avoid the question.

Seemed appropriate since you said that wasn't happening.

What I said is that it wasn't happening because of CCW holders. And I'd bet my years paycheck to your weeks paycheck that most of those incidents involved people that were not legal to carry a firearm.

I don't have a study on that.

Man accused of pulling pistol in road rage on M-59

The caller followed the alleged pistol-puller, giving information to the police the entire way, until both vehicles stopped in a parking lot on John R. near Auburn. When police reached the suspect, they found a .40 caliber semi-automatic pistol in his waistband. The man did have a permit to carry a concealed weapon, authorities said.

Not saying crime is because of guns. But accidental shootings are because of guns. And those don't make you safer. Because we have lots of guns we have more armed criminals. Again, doesn't make you safer.
More firearms equal less violent crime… Fact

We have the most in the world. So why don't we have the least violent crime?

How do you figure because we have the most guns, we have more armed criminals?

We have the most in the world. So why don't we have the least violent crime?
In rural areas we have almost no Violent crime, and millions of firearms.

Forum List

Back