NHTSA writes law mandating rear view cameras on cars starting 2018

[

For safety, I will always drive a big auto. The laws of physics tells us a big vehicle will fare better in an accident than a small vehicle.

Another way of saying that is big cars are more dangerous to other drivers than small cars are. That's why penalties for moving violations should vary with the listed weight of the vehicle.

Yeah, more government intervention, that is what we need.

The fact is, if you want a big car, you have the option to buy one. Your choice.

[

For safety, I will always drive a big auto. The laws of physics tells us a big vehicle will fare better in an accident than a small vehicle.

Another way of saying that is big cars are more dangerous to other drivers than small cars are. That's why penalties for moving violations should vary with the listed weight of the vehicle.

Wow you can be even more stupid.

[

The fact is, if you want a big car, you have the option to buy one. Your choice.

Much as I hate to admit it, his point is correct -- bigger cars ARE more hazardous. And nothing about his idea of basing violations on weight takes away your choice to be a selfish asshole. That's intact. :thup:

Much as I hate to admit it, his point is correct -- bigger cars ARE more hazardous. And nothing about his idea of basing violations on weight takes away your choice to be a selfish asshole. That's intact. :thup:

I do the speed limit in my Suburban, I don't go 80 miles an hour around corners like dumbshits in mini-coopers. I also have a better handling vehicle in the snow and ice than the little mini-cooper that can't handle snow and ice.

The Suburban is easy to handle, easy to maneuver, and rides very nicely.

I have two parents in their mid 80's, three grand children my wife and I, no POS coopie is going to fit my families needs.

You are the selfish asshole trying to impose your BS regs because you can't drive or handle a bigger car.

Only thing I have against big vehicles is the reality that too many are owned and driven by people who, through age or physical ability (NOT disability) are unable to control them. Same folks might be perfectly safe in something smaller and requiring less effort to handle.

Only thing I have against big vehicles is the reality that too many are owned and driven by people who, through age or physical ability (NOT disability) are unable to control them. Same folks might be perfectly safe in something smaller and requiring less effort to handle.

I agree, especially in the snow and ice. To many drive to fast and to reckless, it may be four wheel drive but when sliding, it doesn't really help.

I do the speed limit in my Suburban, I don't go 80 miles an hour around corners like dumbshits in mini-coopers. I also have a better handling vehicle in the snow and ice than the little mini-cooper that can't handle snow and ice.

I have two parents in their mid 80's, three grand children my wife and I, no POS coopie is going to fit my families needs.

You are the selfish asshole trying to impose your BS regs because you can't drive or handle a bigger car.

pfft. Son, I've got at least a million and a half miles in cars and trucks of every description going back to before you were a thought, so bite me. Nor do you know what I do with my MINI (which is a pleasure car, not the practical one), nor do you have one iota of any evidence of any "bullshit regs" I want.

Post them. I give you five minutes.

Which is four minutes and fifty seconds longer than you'd last in a snow driving contest with me, in any car you want. I tell you what, the MINI is a lot better in it than the bigger car I have.

Last edited:

Agreed, it's not their fault, it's bad design. A barge is simply harder to handle. Serious drivers get that.

They say it will cost $140!!! HAHAHA. It will be at least 5 times that and just to save 60 lives a year. The govt talks about safety and yet they let the industry sell cars that do twice the speed limit and have internet access to distract drivers!! This is just a scam to make more money for the auto industry.

New Cars and Trucks to Require Rearview Back-Up Cameras by 2018

31 Mar 2014,
Starting in May 2018, all new cars and light trucks sold in the United States must have rearview cameras. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the new requirement will apply to all vehicles under 10,000 pounds (4,500 kg), including buses and trucks.
The cameras, according to the NHTSA, are designed to prevent vehicles from hitting pedestrians. “Rear visibility requirements will save lives, and will save many families from the heartache suffered after these tragic incidents occur," said Administration representative David Friedman.

There are, on average, 210 fatalities and 15,000 injuries per year caused by backover accidents, the agency said. Children under the age of five and adults over the age of 70 are involved in over half of all fatalities from backover accidents. The new camera requirement should save some 58-69 lives per year at a cost of about $132 and $142 to equip each vehicle.

if it saves one life a year, it would be worth it

what the fuck is wrong with you

Ten thousand pounds??

What the fuck kind of car weighs ten thousand poinds? Shit, my two cars together weigh maybe half that much.

I think this aspect was lost in the story here. We're talking trucks, not cars.

It's about time!!! My big SUV has one, a $65.00 option, and it's worth every penny.

the key word there is OPTION. It should not be made mandatory.

BTW - no one believes it really cost just $65. If GM is charging that, they're doing it at a loss in the hopes people will choose it and get used to such a feature until they can make it standard.

I take it you don't have one. Any person that does see's the benefit. I know I do.

btw; since almost every new car come standard with an on-dash display, the $6.00 (wholesale) camera, and $1.00 in wire make the profit $58.00 for the manufacturer.

Used them. Didn't see any great benefit...found it a distraction more than anything else.

Being able to see EVERYTHING that's behind you is a distraction?

Too much info can always be a distraction.

Like these bozos driving around with their headlights on in broad daylight. A hundred cars on the road and every one of them screaming HEY! LOOK AT ME!!!!

Not a fan of DRLs in temperate latitudes, obviously.

I generally back with only side mirrors. (I have been driving trucks & buses for 15 years.) I found the video screen distracting, and the angles on it weird. (Being a wide-angle lens, it distorts the picture.)

pfft. Son, I've got at least a million and a half miles in cars and trucks of every description going back to before you were a thought, so bite me. Nor do you know what I do with my MINI (which is a pleasure car, not the practical one), nor do you have one iota of any evidence of any "bullshit regs" I want.

Which is four minutes and fifty seconds longer than you'd last in a snow driving contest with me, in any car you want. I tell you what, the MINI is a lot better in it than the bigger car I have.

Prove to me I'm not a selfish asshole, you got five minutes, :lol: you neg me because you can dish it but can't take it. :lol: I knew you were a real puss, thanks for proving it to me and everyone else. Now go suck you thumb some more baby.
I have only negged one person in my time here and it wasn't for ripping on me it was for going after someone else. :lmao:

That is the government intervention BS, that you agree with. That like a puss you negged me for.

Last edited:
Used them. Didn't see any great benefit...found it a distraction more than anything else.

Being able to see EVERYTHING that's behind you is a distraction?

Too much info can always be a distraction.

Like these bozos driving around with their headlights on in broad daylight. A hundred cars on the road and every one of them screaming HEY! LOOK AT ME!!!!

Not a fan of DRLs in temperate latitudes, obviously.

Again; Being able to see EVERYTHING that's behind you is a distraction?

Forum List

Back