No living President, Secretary of State or FED Chairman endorse Trump

"Comparative Advantage" is a basic economic principle, usually encountered in the second week of an introductory economics class....

Do you have any idea why it is important?
And most people would have learned the difference between competitive advantage and comparative advantage even earlier. Do you have any idea what the difference is?

The only difference is the context in which the term is used
So you don't know what the difference is. Comparative advantage when comparing economies refers to natural advantages such as agricultural land or mineral resources or even location, but competitive advantage includes all of that but also other things such as the quality of the work force or efficiency of operations or the manipulation of the currency to keep export prices low government subsidies, and government regulations, etc.

Left wing economists have long argued that because of its vast land area and wealth of natural resources by the principle of comparative advantage the US should have developed into an agricultural and mining economy instead of the industrial powerhouse it became.

Competitive advantage is a microeconomic concept, usually referring to price competition when one company is able to produce a product cheaper than another because of greater efficiency of operation or technological innovation. It can also apply to nations if one nation's work force is superior to another's or it has superior technology or if its government devalues its currency to make its exports cheaper or subsidizes businesses to produce there.

In other words, comparative advantages are created by nature and competitive advantages are created by governments.

I spoke of competitive advantage, but either through ignorance of dishonesty Icebergslim pretended I had said comparative advantage.

You're wrong
lol About anything in particular or are you saying I was born wrong?

You defined the two terms in a post and I said you were wrong. What do you think I was referring to? I mean duh

No, it makes perfect sense to have a free market within the US economy and qualified trade agreements with other countries. Renegotiating trade agreements and imposing tariffs where necessary in no way limits your freedom as a businessman to move your company anyplace you choose, it simply changes the economic environment in a way that makes it unprofitable to move it to less developed countries because of cheaper labor and fewer environmental regulations, or to countries that maintain an unfair competitive advantage by manipulating their currencies.

I am a pragmatist, not an ideologue, so I am more interested in practical outcomes than what is ideologically correct. Right now because of our trade imbalances, the US is selling off its assets, real estate, corporations, even technologies, to pay for our standard of living. If you had to sell off your assets to pay your bills, would you consider that a sustainable policy? Of course not, and it is not a sustainable policy for our nation, either. Redefining our trade relations will help reduce our trade deficits and prevent jobs from leaving out country and many even bring some of those jobs home, and it will allow us to come closer to living on what we earn rather than having to sell off our country to pay our bills.

Of course there will be political fallout from this change of policy. Countries that have benefited from the current trade imbalance will rage against us, but I believe Americans will be better off reducing our trade deficit and keeping our jobs at home amid all the foreign outrage than it is now.
"Comparative Advantage" is a basic economic principle, usually encountered in the second week of an introductory economics class....

And most people would have learned the difference between competitive advantage and comparative advantage even earlier. Do you have any idea what the difference is?

So you don't know what the difference is. Comparative advantage when comparing economies refers to natural advantages such as agricultural land or mineral resources or even location, but competitive advantage includes all of that but also other things such as the quality of the work force or efficiency of operations or the manipulation of the currency to keep export prices low government subsidies, and government regulations, etc.

Left wing economists have long argued that because of its vast land area and wealth of natural resources by the principle of comparative advantage the US should have developed into an agricultural and mining economy instead of the industrial powerhouse it became.

Competitive advantage is a microeconomic concept, usually referring to price competition when one company is able to produce a product cheaper than another because of greater efficiency of operation or technological innovation. It can also apply to nations if one nation's work force is superior to another's or it has superior technology or if its government devalues its currency to make its exports cheaper or subsidizes businesses to produce there.

In other words, comparative advantages are created by nature and competitive advantages are created by governments.

I spoke of competitive advantage, but either through ignorance of dishonesty Icebergslim pretended I had said comparative advantage.

Can you name these "left wing economists"?

Good L*rd! Is there an "off" button on this gasbag?
You discuss economics like a literature major.

Correct me if I am wrong but no living President, Secretary of State or FED Chairman endorses Trump..

These are the people who know what the job on President is about and not one of them said Trump can do it...

Sorry this looks like evidence and we know how the Trump side just hates facts and evidence....

Although I'll not be voting for Trump, if what you claim is true, that's a damn good reason to vote Trump.

Allow me to restate: The asshole politicians and bureaucrats that got us into this mess don't like Trump? That's a sign he's doing something right.

Now off you go collectivist boy!
Correct me if I am wrong but no living President, Secretary of State or FED Chairman endorses Trump..

Of course not. They're the ones who screwed things up in the first place. They all - every one - are every bit the globalists Carter, the Clinton's and Obama are.

So you now think that Globalism is the problem....

So your solution is to TAX imported goods...

Could you explain this to me?

Globalism has been the problem for decades.

These are the people who know what the job on President is about and not one of them said Trump can do it...

Sorry this looks like evidence and we know how the Trump side just hates facts and evidence....

you are aware that trumpsters don't care. they see it as a badge of honor. the more stupid, offensive and course their guy is, the happier they are.

that's what happens when people hate their country

They don't hate their country, they hate idiots like you, smarmy know-it-all types who keep thinking "we know whats best for you, and we are going to force you to do it".
The libs use words like protect you. They want to protect americans. What they don't see is we're all done with protect americans, we want action, we want them to do their jobs, let the states do theirs and stay the fk out of their business. Protect, yep look at Charlotte. Nice protection don't you think? Heard it again last night, protect. fk the libs protect.

It sounds like an excellent endorsement for Mr. Donald Trump.

He's a certified financial salesman. He takes certification exams where he memorizes definitions. He doesn't really understand them, he just quotes on the exams what he memorized. That's why he didn't understand comparative advantage. He didn't realize how many types of comparative advantages there are from the definition he memorized.

All he does is sell loaded mutual funds, it's not impressive

He's a certified financial salesman. He takes certification exams where he memorizes definitions. He doesn't really understand them, he just quotes on the exams what he memorized. That's why he didn't understand comparative advantage. He didn't realize how many types of comparative advantages there are from the definition he memorized.

how many candidates has Trump defeated already? got that number do ya now?

Last edited:

Yes, he's just wrong. Then again you don't know what it means either. Basically competitive advantage is used with companies versus their competitors in markets. I've rarely heard it used any other way, and when I do it's usually someone who's less experienced. Comparative advantage is a far broader term. It can be nature, resources, labor skills, labor costs, taxes, regulations, anything that tilts the playing field in a broader way across companies, it's not really used for one company
The Competitive Advantage of Nations

This is the conclusion of a study among ten developed nations so it does not address relative competitive advantages of a developed nation and a less developed nation, nonetheless, competitive advantage among nations is a current topic of interest in economics.

how many candidates has defeated already? got that number do ya now?

I have no idea what that means

how many candidates has defeated already? got that number do ya now?

I have no idea what that means
corrected

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz
What worries me is that America was dumb enough to vote in GW Bush only 8 years after his daddy sucked his way into being a 1 term president.

You seem to be declaring how incompetent the Bush's were yet are bragging how they will potentially vote for Hillary. :p
Yea, that's how bad Trump is. Horrible choice. Not even Republicans will vote for him. Only ignorant anarchists will. And the GOP have only themselves to blame for riling up the terminally ignorant. It's going to cost Republican senators and congressmen wait and see.

Yes, he's just wrong. Then again you don't know what it means either. Basically competitive advantage is used with companies versus their competitors in markets. I've rarely heard it used any other way, and when I do it's usually someone who's less experienced. Comparative advantage is a far broader term. It can be nature, resources, labor skills, labor costs, taxes, regulations, anything that tilts the playing field in a broader way across companies, it's not really used for one company

This is the conclusion of a study among ten developed nations so it does not address relative competitive advantages of a developed nation and a less developed nation, nonetheless, competitive advantage among nations is a current topic of interest in economics.

Basically they are using competitive advantage instead of comparative advantage there.

I already said if you discuss the "competitive advantage" of a country, anyone in business would know what you're talking about, it's not wrong.

You said a lot of other shit though that was wrong.

And just so you know, in real business, if you say "competitive advantage," almost everyone would think of a specific company versus their direct competition, that is as I said from the start the connotation.

Comparative advantage is broader

16 in the primaries, no one in an actual election. Point?

Basically they are using competitive advantage instead of comparative advantage there.

I already said if you discuss the "competitive advantage" of a country, anyone in business would know what you're talking about, it's not wrong.

And just so you know, in real business, if you say "competitive advantage," almost everyone would think of a specific company versus their direct competition, that is as I said from the start the connotation.

lol We're not talking about what you consider "real business" we're talking about economics and in economics comparative advantage refers to the natural endowments of one country compared to another. Competitive advantage includes government actions like when China devalues its currency to keep its exports cheap or Mexico offers subsidies and tax breaks to US companies to move their factories to Mexico.

the point is he is 16 and zero so far, and skillary is slipping like a dog on ice.

lol We're not talking about what you consider "real business" we're talking about economics and in economics comparative advantage refers to the natural endowments of one country compared to another. Competitive advantage includes government actions like when China devalues its currency to keep its exports cheap or Mexico offers subsidies and tax breaks to US companies to move their factories to Mexico.

It's not like I'm an MBA who both studied this and lived it in management and management consulting. No wait, it is ...

As I said, what you're saying isn't actually wrong, but it's not really how the terms are generally used

the point is he is 16 and zero so far, and skillary is slipping like a dog on ice.

OK. I've said he'll win as long as he keeps his foot out of his mouth. That makes it a toss up

It's not like I'm an MBA who both studied this and lived it in management and management consulting. No wait, it is ...

As I said, what you're saying isn't actually wrong, but it's not really how the terms are generally used
No offense intended but I'm always uncomfortable saying, you can trust me because I have these credentials on a message board.

I agree that there are differences between economic theory and economic practice but you have sometimes cited economic theory to extol the benefits of free trade in practice and in the theoretical meaning of the term, free trade, there is no free trade and possibly can never be free trade in the real world. Under the rules of the WTO, less developed countries like Mexico or Bangladesh are allowed to protect their industries by limiting imports and levying tariffs, but developed countries like the US can be sued in WTO court if they do the same thing. Bottom line, there is no free trade as defined in economic theory between developed countries and less developed, so the benefits economic theory predicts as resulting from free trade have no relevance in the real world.

In one of the major fuck ups of the Clinton administration, the Clintons allowed China to enter the WTO with these same protections, limiting imports and levying tariffs when necessary to protect its industries and jobs and without demanding it first allow its currency to float, so now if a US company wants to export more than token amounts to China, it must first partner with a Chinese firm and either move its facilities to China or build new ones there, thus moving jobs to China that would otherwise be in the US if there were no limits on US exports to China; there are, of course, no limits on Chinese exports to the US.

While it is true as you have said that free trade leads to competition which leads to greater efficiency in economic theory, since the Chinese have consistently devalued their currency to keep their prices below US prices without penalty, no matter how efficient US companies become, Chinese goods will always cost less. So there is no benefit to the US from free trade as it works in the real world.

So we can discuss economic theory or economic practice in the real world, but it makes no sense to switch from one to the other in the same conversation.

My issue wouldn't be about me baking a cake, its my issue with your glee at forcing others to do it,. unlike you I am not a narcissistic twat who wants everyone to follow their rules, and live their way, and have fun their way.

And you knowing this makes you such a fucking martyr. like most of your progressive friends, you probably sniff your own farts when you gleefully say things like this.

If you don't want to bake a cake for the icky gays, you can always sell your bakery and do something else. Or wait for the community to turn on you and you have to close your shop...

But the laws are kind of sensible. YOu have the right to be an asshole. Your business does not.

Forum List

Back