No shootings at parochial schools. Why? What are they doing right?

What are Catholic/private schools doing right that Public schools are not?

• More discipline

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Religious teaching

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • High tuition

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • More parental involvement

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Strict dress code

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 36.0%

• Total voters
Of course. It’s because of Jesus. Oh wait. No shooting in US Buddhists schools either. Or US Islamic schools. My bad.

• Thanks
Reactions: GT
This line of thinking has got to be the troll of the day...OPs like this

Tighter security.

Strict standards of who can attend.

Loved my Catholic schools. Blacks, Latinos, Asians, Indians and no whites ever shot up the place. Must have profiled and let the right white people in.

Loved my public schools. Blacks, Latinos, Asians, Indians and no whites ever shot up the place. just like 99.996% of the public schools in the nation

Tighter security.

Loved my Catholic schools. Blacks, Latinos, Asians, Indians and no whites ever shot up the place. Must have profiled and let the right white people in.

Loved my public schools. Blacks, Latinos, Asians, Indians and no whites ever shot up the place. just like 99.996% of the public schools in the nation

When did you go to public school?

1. You post data without a source, so your numbers are bullshit. Stick with (10,693/37,000) high schools, or 29% private/Catholic. See my link in #2 above
2. I posted a credible link that shows that 29% of US high schools are "private", including about 53% Catholic
3. Using the most recent number of 200 school shootings means that 58 should have been at private schools, yet there were ZERO at private/Catholic schools, WHY? QED
I posted a source...your catholic schools only have 5% of the children, derp.

How many students will attend school in fall 2019?
About 56.6 million students will attend elementary, middle, and high schools across the United States (source).
  • 50.8 million students in public schools
  • 5.8 million students in private schools
(dont tell anyone, but that's 10% total students go to private schools, and about 5% to catholic schools)
dotgov source --> Fast Facts: Back to school statistics (372)

OK, use your numbers, students not schools. 10% go to private/Catholic schools

So, 10% x 200 shootings means that 20 (not 29) shootings should have been at private/Catholic schools, yet there were ZERO, WHY?
I'm not going to explain the math to you all over again, dude. It's a little ridiculous that you think that that's what you're supposed to extrapolate from that data, and that's like a bridge too far at that point.

I'd be happy for you to tell me ANY virtue that you think that POSSIBLY exists in schools getting 0% of school shootings in 19-years that the schools getting statistical zero magically don't have. If you cannot think about that and realize why it's a bad inference, hey...you cannot FORCE logic on the masses...

Better put:
ANY virtue....literally ANY virtue you want to apply to "Catholic" schools that you think is preventing them from school shootings? ALSO, by your own bad-inference-logic, applies to 99.97% of public schools. Does that make it clearer, for you?
If not, my arms are in the air man! Can't fix that.

We basically disagree on statistical inference vs statistical significance. I'm not looking at the probability of a school shooting, but at the statistical makeup of the 200 school shootings. What is the probability of a shooting at a public school vs a private/Catholic school, even correcting for the numerical difference in schools.
IMHO 200 school shootings, all at public schools, when 71% of schools are public, and 29% private/Catholic is statistically significant.

I don't know why there haven''t been school shootings at private/Catholic schools. Why are nearly all school shooters young white males? Is it mental illness? Would profiling help? Is it related to their home life? Financial situation? Social life? Religious attitude, etc.

Personal Accountability is the reason why there has been no shooting. If Catholic Schools give you the privilege to go to their schools, you are going to be held accountable regardless of your skin color or creed (Catholic schools accept people of all or non faiths). It’s personal accountability.... not excuses.

Why are there no shootings in 99.996% of the public schools?

Tighter security.

When did you go to public school?

Sorry, misread that.

Graduated high school in 1982

Those Nuns are mean bitches

3f4a5eb57a3caea5384202bb71323b7e--benedict-school-school-grades.jpg

I posted a source...your catholic schools only have 5% of the children, derp.

How many students will attend school in fall 2019?
About 56.6 million students will attend elementary, middle, and high schools across the United States (source).
  • 50.8 million students in public schools
  • 5.8 million students in private schools
(dont tell anyone, but that's 10% total students go to private schools, and about 5% to catholic schools)
dotgov source --> Fast Facts: Back to school statistics (372)

So, 10% x 200 shootings means that 20 (not 29) shootings should have been at private/Catholic schools, yet there were ZERO, WHY?
I'm not going to explain the math to you all over again, dude. It's a little ridiculous that you think that that's what you're supposed to extrapolate from that data, and that's like a bridge too far at that point.

I'd be happy for you to tell me ANY virtue that you think that POSSIBLY exists in schools getting 0% of school shootings in 19-years that the schools getting statistical zero magically don't have. If you cannot think about that and realize why it's a bad inference, hey...you cannot FORCE logic on the masses...

Better put:
ANY virtue....literally ANY virtue you want to apply to "Catholic" schools that you think is preventing them from school shootings? ALSO, by your own bad-inference-logic, applies to 99.97% of public schools. Does that make it clearer, for you?

We basically disagree on statistical inference vs statistical significance. I'm not looking at the probability of a school shooting, but at the statistical makeup of the 200 school shootings. What is the probability of a shooting at a public school vs a private/Catholic school, even correcting for the numerical difference in schools.
IMHO 200 school shootings, all at public schools, when 71% of schools are public, and 29% private/Catholic is statistically significant.

I don't know why there haven''t been school shootings at private/Catholic schools. Why are nearly all school shooters young white males? Is it mental illness? Would profiling help? Is it related to their home life? Financial situation? Social life? Religious attitude, etc.

Personal Accountability is the reason why there has been no shooting. If Catholic Schools give you the privilege to go to their schools, you are going to be held accountable regardless of your skin color or creed (Catholic schools accept people of all or non faiths). It’s personal accountability.... not excuses.

Why are there no shooting in 99.996% of the public schools?

Why are there no shootings in 99.999% of the private schools?

Better put:

Why are there no shooting in 99.996% of the public schools?

Why are there no shootings in 99.999% of the private schools?

The same reasons there are no shootings in 99.996% of public schools.

Excluding suicides, there were actually only 134 school shootings from 2000 to 2018 - of which, 8 were in private schools and there's a possibility that any of (4) additionals were, as well, as 4 were not able to be determined as public or private.

Private schools account for 10% of all students, k-12.

You'd expect 13 and there were 8, from private schools.

This thread is pure idiocy.

Here’s a list of every school shooting over the past 50 years | TribLIVE.com

I don’t need some remote statistics. I live life for a long time and my experiences form the statistics

I don’t need some remote statistics. I live life for a long time and my experiences form the statistics
Liberals think that’s funny because they want to believe what somebody else says rather than what they themselves see. Another form of personal responsibility neglect.

I think its funny, because 1 mans life of 7 billion on the planet is "remote," and "statistics" are how we learn about the other 6, 999, 999, 999 humans as opposed to one man's "remote" experience

Thats not a left or right issue, its an issue with one's cognitive abilities, and means of being rational.

I think its funny, because 1 mans life of 7 billion on the planet is "remote," and "statistics" are how we learn about the other 6, 999, 999, 999 humans as opposed to one man's "remote" experience

Thats not a left or right issue, its an issue with one's cognitive abilities, and means of being rational.
And All of that is a compilation of each individual.

Private schools are afforded the privilege of being selective in who they allow to be students. Public schools don’t have that luxury. They have to accept everyone including mental cases and psychopaths. They can only act after someone does something, which may be too little and too late.

What are the 99% of schools altogether in the Country doing "right" to not have had any shootings :rolleyes:

If this type of school is 25% and it had happened 200 school shootings then 50 school shootings should had happened in this type of school too. It's indeed significant. I guess it has to do with a balance between body and soul, intellect and heart and with the experience of self-effectivness as well as with the experience of team-spirit, brotherhood and friendship.

I like to say here now with tears in my eyes "thank you" to all US-American Catholis and all true believers in god. You are doing a great work. The boy, the girl, who did not have to die in a massacre we are not able to see. The good deed is often invisible. Thank you for your trust in god and your trust in his children. Thanks to everyone who answers this trust with trust too.

Last edited:
Given that hundreds of thousands of boys were raped by priests

What a nonsense. This shows you never tried to find out what was really going on in this scandal. For you is only important that Catholics are bad - this makes you to a good man - or much more worse: this gives you an excuse to be as criminal as you like to be. The data I studied in Germany about this scandal showed very clear that a clerics of the catholic church is in average 25-36 times more harmless in case of such crimes than any other man. The greatest risk are by the way married men - what's also very astonishing.

Last edited:
The reason is quite clear: Catholic school children don’t play video games. It’s a sin.

They play video games. But it's true. Lots of video games are a sin. Senseless and murderous. But some video games are excellent. Simulation software for example, where the own decisions give a "chaotic" feedback. Non linear mathematics is very interesting.

Forum List

Back