No shootings at parochial schools. Why? What are they doing right?

What are Catholic/private schools doing right that Public schools are not?

• More discipline

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Religious teaching

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • High tuition

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • More parental involvement

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Strict dress code

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 36.0%

• Total voters
We basically disagree on statistical inference vs statistical significance. I'm not looking at the probability of a school shooting, but at the statistical makeup of the 200 school shootings. What is the probability of a shooting at a public school vs a private/Catholic school, even correcting for the numerical difference in schools.
IMHO 200 school shootings, all at public schools,
when 71% of schools are public, and 29% private/Catholic is statistically significant.

I don't know why there haven''t been school shootings at private/Catholic schools. Why are nearly all school shooters young white males? Is it mental illness? Would profiling help? Is it related to their home life? Financial situation? Social life? Religious attitude, etc.

The only statistical significance is that your numbers are WAY off!
OMG. How about a few links to explain why you think the numbers are "way off". I have links documenting my posts and numbers:
https://www.quora.com/How-many-high-schools-are-there-in-the-US
"According to the latest research made in 2001, there are about 26,407 public secondary schools, and 10,693 private secondary schools in the USA."
So that's about 37,000 high schools, with 10,693/37,000 = 29% private/Catholic. Other links show about 53% of private schools are Catholic

Shootings happen at more than just secondary schools. Why limit your count to them?

It seemed simpler and more statistically accurate to compare HS shootings. Public vs private/Catholic. The link in the OP says that there were zero shootings at Catholic schools. That seemed significant to me. So I created the thread to discuss. It gets complicated due to elementary schools, middle schools, secondary schools, and colleges. If you look at High Schools there are 29% private/Catholic. If you look at students, 10% are private+Catholic and about 5% are Catholic. My math says that for 200 shootings, and 10% of the kids go to private/Catholic schools, 20 or so shootings should have happened at private/Catholic schools, yet there were zero. Why is that?
As soon as you answer why there's no shootings at 99.996% of public schools - you'd see why your inference is bad.

What are all of those public schools doing successfully?

This is the key. When something happens that rarely you cannot blame the overall system.

Excluding suicides, there were actually only 134 school shootings from 2000 to 2018 - of which, 8 were in private schools and there's a possibility that any of (4) additionals were, as well, as 4 were not able to be determined as public or private.

Private schools account for 10% of all students, k-12.

You'd expect 13 and there were 8, from private schools.

This thread is pure idiocy.

Here’s a list of every school shooting over the past 50 years | TribLIVE.com

I don't see a list of school shootings in your bullshit link. Where did you get the 8 private school shootings?
Here is a link that shows ZERO school shootings at Catholic schools, which are about 53% of all private high schools.

Catholic schools, spared from mass school shootings, remain vigilant

From your last post: "You'd expect 13 and there were 8, from private schools."
You'd expect 13 and there were ZERO at Catholic schools, (or expect 7 and there were ZERO). Zero is still a powerful number compared to 200 school shootings.
There weren't 200, your source is a biased source.

Also, a poster (3 posters, now) linked you to shootings at Private schools.

One, you dismissed as a teacher/suicide incident.

Well, Poe, when you remove those from your TWO HUNDRED number, it's no longer even 200 and the odds are even WORSE for your dogshit narrative.

Last, for the logically impaired - - - even if we accept all of YOUR dogshit numbers...and YOUR dogshit, illogical inferences...

Using YOUR logic, ANYthing you're saying is the virtue which caused "zero" (cough) shootings at the Catholic Schools, would ALSO APPLY to ALL SCHOOLS with ZERO shootings...which, as it's been pointed out, is 99.996%.

Just face it, dude. Your thread was an attempt at pearl clutching - another "get off my lawn! kids these days!" self-aggrandizement - and in this case, Religious indoctrination.
I'm looking at the makeup of 200 school shootings, not 50,000,000 students, or 330m Americans, or 7.53b people on earth.
We basically disagree on statistical inference vs statistical significance. I'm not looking at the probability of a school shooting, but at the statistical makeup of the 200 school shootings. What is the probability of a shooting at a public school vs a private/Catholic school, even correcting for the numerical difference in schools.
IMHO 200 school shootings, all at public schools, when 71% of schools are public, and 29% private/Catholic is statistically significant.

I don't know why there haven''t been school shootings at private/Catholic schools. Why are nearly all school shooters young white males? Is it mental illness? Would profiling help? Is it related to their home life? Financial situation? Social life? Religious attitude, etc

School shooting score card: Public schools 200, private/Catholic schools 0, as a percent 200/26,000 = 0.8% public, 0.00000% private/Catholic

There have not been zero....why do you keep saying that?

Four Conclusions You Can’t Draw From Data on School Shootings
  1. Private schools are more effective at preventing shootings than public schools. There were 89 shootings as defined above since 1990, with 83 (93 percent) happening at public schools and only 6 (7 percent) at private schools. Private enrollment for high schools hovers around 10 percent, meaning private schools are slightly underrepresented in the shooting statistics, but all it would have taken is a couple more shootings taking place at private rather than public schools to sway the result in the other direction.

• Thanks
Reactions: GT
I'm not going to explain the math to you all over again, dude. It's a little ridiculous that you think that that's what you're supposed to extrapolate from that data, and that's like a bridge too far at that point.

I'd be happy for you to tell me ANY virtue that you think that POSSIBLY exists in schools getting 0% of school shootings in 19-years that the schools getting statistical zero magically don't have. If you cannot think about that and realize why it's a bad inference, hey...you cannot FORCE logic on the masses...

Better put:
ANY virtue....literally ANY virtue you want to apply to "Catholic" schools that you think is preventing them from school shootings? ALSO, by your own bad-inference-logic, applies to 99.97% of public schools. Does that make it clearer, for you?
If not, my arms are in the air man! Can't fix that.

when 71% of schools are public, and 29% private/Catholic is statistically significant.

I don't know why there haven''t been school shootings at private/Catholic schools. Why are nearly all school shooters young white males? Is it mental illness? Would profiling help? Is it related to their home life? Financial situation? Social life? Religious attitude, etc.

OMG. How about a few links to explain why you think the numbers are "way off". I have links documenting my posts and numbers:
"According to the latest research made in 2001, there are about 26,407 public secondary schools, and 10,693 private secondary schools in the USA."
So that's about 37,000 high schools, with 10,693/37,000 = 29% private/Catholic. Other links show about 53% of private schools are Catholic

Shootings happen at more than just secondary schools. Why limit your count to them?

It seemed simpler and more statistically accurate to compare HS shootings. Public vs private/Catholic. The link in the OP says that there were zero shootings at Catholic schools. That seemed significant to me. So I created the thread to discuss. It gets complicated due to elementary schools, middle schools, secondary schools, and colleges. If you look at High Schools there are 29% private/Catholic. If you look at students, 10% are private+Catholic and about 5% are Catholic. My math says that for 200 shootings, and 10% of the kids go to private/Catholic schools, 20 or so shootings should have happened at private/Catholic schools, yet there were zero. Why is that?

What part of what the Catholic schools do would you like to impose on the public system?

Should the public school system be allowed to screen students and only take the high achievers that come from families of wealth?

Should the public school system be allowed to not take students with learning disabilities?

Excluding suicides, there were actually only 134 school shootings from 2000 to 2018 - of which, 8 were in private schools and there's a possibility that any of (4) additionals were, as well, as 4 were not able to be determined as public or private.

I don't see a list of school shootings in your bullshit link. Where did you get the 8 private school shootings?
Here is a link that shows ZERO school shootings at Catholic schools, which are about 53% of all private high schools.

You'd expect 13 and there were ZERO at Catholic schools, (or expect 7 and there were ZERO). Zero is still a powerful number compared to 200 school shootings.

Well, Poe, when you remove those from your TWO HUNDRED number, it's no longer even 200 and the odds are even WORSE for your dogshit narrative.

Last, for the logically impaired - - - even if we accept all of YOUR dogshit numbers...and YOUR dogshit, illogical inferences...

Using YOUR logic, ANYthing you're saying is the virtue which caused "zero" (cough) shootings at the Catholic Schools, would ALSO APPLY to ALL SCHOOLS with ZERO shootings...which, as it's been pointed out, is 99.996%.

Just face it, dude. Your thread was an attempt at pearl clutching - another "get off my lawn! kids these days!" self-aggrandizement - and in this case, Religious indoctrination.
I'm looking at the makeup of 200 school shootings, not 50,000,000 students, or 330m Americans, or 7.53b people on earth.
IMHO 200 school shootings, all at public schools, when 71% of schools are public, and 29% private/Catholic is statistically significant.

I don't know why there haven''t been school shootings at private/Catholic schools. Why are nearly all school shooters young white males? Is it mental illness? Would profiling help? Is it related to their home life? Financial situation? Social life? Religious attitude, etc

School shooting score card: Public schools 200, private/Catholic schools 0, as a percent 200/26,000 = 0.8% public, 0.00000% private/Catholic
1. Your numbers are wrong, as has been linked 3 separate times. It's not 200 to zero.
2. Schools don't shoot anything. Shooters do. So, we'd look at the overall population of Students, in the case of discussing schools, to determine how many shootings you'd EXPECT in each type of school, before determining if something is statistically significant.
3. Why would you change the attitudes, financial situation, social life or religious attitude of an entire group for what 0.004% of them have done? That's a piss-poor use of statistics. Disgusting, actually. Not to mention, your numbers are wrong that you're starting with...and you dont seem to even understand how numbers work.

As soon as you answer why there's no shootings at 99.996% of public schools - you'd see why your inference is bad.

Looking at HS numbers, approximately 200 shootings at ~26,000 public schools, that is 0.8% not 0.004%. Still a small number but not zero.
Looking at the student population, 95% public and 5% Catholic. So for 200 shootings there should have been ~10 at Catholic schools, yet there were zero. Why?

There have not been zero....why do you keep saying that?

Four Conclusions You Can’t Draw From Data on School Shootings
  1. Private schools are more effective at preventing shootings than public schools. There were 89 shootings as defined above since 1990, with 83 (93 percent) happening at public schools and only 6 (7 percent) at private schools. Private enrollment for high schools hovers around 10 percent, meaning private schools are slightly underrepresented in the shooting statistics, but all it would have taken is a couple more shootings taking place at private rather than public schools to sway the result in the other direction.
^ which is also why he "magically" chose a specific year to fit his false narrative

Thbis might be the dumbest OP in all of 2019.

N'aw, nevermind. We have civil war/mass shooting supporters here, I forgot.

What part of what the Catholic schools do would you like to impose on the public system?

Should the public school system be allowed to screen students and only take the high achievers that come from families of wealth?

Should the public school system be allowed to not take students with learning disabilities?
Lol
Public schools are a fucking joke, rampant with waste, fraud and abuse.
That’s never going to change

I don't know what the "root causes" of public school shooters are.
I don't know why there have been no shooters at Catholic schools yet.
I'm only pointing out that Catholic schools may have some insight how to prevent school shootings. I'll let the profilers and psychologists fill in the blanks.

Looking at HS numbers, approximately 200 shootings at ~26,000 public schools, that is 0.8% not 0.004%. Still a small number but not zero.
Looking at the student population, 95% public and 5% Catholic. So for 200 shootings there should have been ~10 at Catholic schools, yet there were zero. Why?
For one, there weren't zero.
Two, you're misapprehending where the 0.004% number comes from.
Three - you're misapplying how the 0.004% number extrapolates across the rest of the data.
Four - it's shooters - not schools - who shoot anything. You're arbitrarily choosing "school type" as to what to look at...as some determinant factor - all the while using false data.

Not sure howe much harder down fail road you really wanna go - but IF YOU MUST....here's another fail: How come you're only going to 2000? What did "catholic schools" change in 2000 that wasn't the same prior, that you feel is the magical inference to make your fake zero number of school shootings? What changed in catholic schools in the year 2000? I'll wait.

The 200 shootings have been at more than just high schools.

Lol

you are a clear product of them...a fucking joke

I don't know what the "root causes" of public school shooters are.
I don't know why there have been no shooters at Catholic schools yet.
I'm only pointing out that Catholic schools may have some insight how to prevent school shootings. I'll let the profilers and psychologists fill in the blanks.

They do not have any insight, they have advantages that pubic schools cannot have. That is why people pay to go there.

I was curious if any school shootings happened at Catholic schools, so far there were none. There were about 200 public school shootings since 2000.
This is significant since about 25% of US students attend Catholic/private schools. Should public schools learn from what Catholic schools are doing right? Maybe buying bullet-proof backpacks isn't the answer?

Lets take a poll...

Well, when you've got two separate populations with an obvious deficit, it's a good starting place to look into other correlations.

Makes me wonder about the percentage of kids on antidepressants in private vs public schools.

Lol

Lol
True, I grew up on the pine ridge Indian reservation. Pure socialism and 100% government controlled. I had to get an education after I was 17 when I left the Indian reservation.

Pine Ridge Reservation

STATISTICAL DATA

Despite nearly-insurmountable conditions, few resources, and against unbelievable odds, Indigenous people are struggling hard to overcome decades of neglect, discrimination and forced destruction of their traditional cultures to promote a life of self-respect and self-sufficiency.

BRIEF STATISTICS

* 97% of of the population at Pine Ridge Reservation live below federal poverty line.

* The unemployment rate vacillates from 85% to 95% on the Reservation.

* Death due to Heart Disease: Twice the national average.

* The infant mortality rate is the highest on this continent and is about 300% higher than the U.S. national average.

* Elderly die each winter from hypothermia (freezing).

* Recent reports point out that the median income on the Pine Ridge Reservation is approximately $2,600 to $3,500 per year.

* At least 60% of the homes are severely substandard, without water, electricity, adequate insulation, and sewage systems.

* Recent reports state the average life expectancy is 45 years old while others state that it is 48 years old for men and 52 years old for women. With either set of figures, that's the shortest life expectancy for any community in the Western Hemisphere outside Haiti, according to The Wall Street Journal.

INTRODUCTORY

Hidden away, dotted throughout the landscape of America, are the Reservations of the Indigenous People of our land. Mostly unknown or forgotten by the mainstream culture of the dominant U.S. society, the average United States resident knows little or nothing about these people other than what romanticized versions they see in movies and television or else in their nearest Reservation casino. Most assume that whatever poverty exists on a reservation is most certainly comparable to that which they might experience themselves.

And definitely, mainstream Americans are accustomed to being exposed to poverty. It has become nearly invisible due to its overwhelming presence everywhere. We drive through our cities now with a blind eye, numb to the suffering around us. Even more, we watch the televised reports of Third World countries, shake our heads and turn away, rightfully assuming that our government and our charities will help those in need all over the globe.

But the question begs: What about the foreign nations on America's own soil, within this country, a part and yet apart from mainstream society? What about the Native American Nations on America's reservations? Few mainstream Americans know anything about the people that live on these reservations and fewer still know or comprehend the unconscionable conditions present on many of them.

What many do not know is that a staggering number of residents on Native American reservations live in abject conditions rivaling, or even surpassing, that of many Third World countries.

This report chronicles just one Nation, the Oglala Lakota (Sioux) Nation of the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota. Yet the name and only a few details could easily be changed to describe a host of others; Dineh (Navajo), Ute Mountain Ute, Tohono O'odham, Pima, Yaqui, Ojibwa, Chippewa, the list is long.

But despite nearly-insurmountable conditions, few resources, and against unbelievable odds, Nation after Nation of Indigenous leaders and their people are working hard to counteract decades of oppression and forced destruction of their cultures to bring their citizens back to a life of self-respect and self-sufficiency in today's world.

Below are further in depth statistics of Pine Ridge

IN DEPTH STATISTICS

* The Pine Ridge Oglala Lakota (Sioux) Indian Reservation sits in Bennett, Jackson, and Shannon Counties and is located in the southwest corner of South Dakota, fifty miles east of the Wyoming border.

* The 11,000-square mile (over 2 million acres) Oglala Lakota Pine Ridge Reservation is the second-largest Native American Reservation within the United States. It is roughly the size of the State of Connecticut.

* The Reservation is divided into eight districts: Eagle Nest, Pass Creek, Wakpamni, LaCreek, Pine Ridge, White Clay, Medicine Root, Porcupine, and Wounded Knee.

* The topography of the Pine Ridge Reservation includes badlands, rolling grassland hills, dryland prairie, and areas dotted with pine trees.

* According to the 1998 Bureau of Indian Affairs Census, the Pine Ridge Reservation is home to approximately 40,000 persons, 35% of which are under the age of 16. Approximately half the residents of the Reservation are registered tribal members of the Oglala Lakota Nation.

* The population is steadily rising, despite the severe conditions on the Reservation, as more and more Oglala Lakota return home from far-away cities in order to live within their societal values, be with their families, and assist with the revitalization of their culture and their Nation.

* Recent reports point out that the median income on the Pine Ridge Reservation is approximately $2,600 per year.

* There is no industry, technology, or commercial infrastructure on the Reservation to provide employment.

* The nearest town of size (which provides some jobs for those few persons able to travel the distance) is Rapid City, South Dakota with approximately 57,000 residents. It is located approximately 120 miles from the Reservation. The nearest large city to Pine Ridge is Denver, Colorado located about 350 miles away.

* Some figures state that the life expectancy on the Reservation is 48 years old for men and 52 for women. Other reports state that the average life expectancy on the Reservation is 45 years old. With either set of figures, that's the shortest life expectancy for a community anywhere in the Western Hemisphere outside Haiti, according to The Wall Street Journal.

* Teenage suicide rate on the Pine Ridge Reservation is 150% higher than the U.S. national average for this age group.

* The infant mortality rate is the highest on this continent and is about 300% higher than the U.S. national average.

* More than half the Reservation's adults battle addiction and disease. Alcoholism, diabetes, heart disease, cancer, and malnutrition are rampant.

* The rate of diabetes on the Reservation is reported to be 800% higher than the U.S. national average.

* Recent reports indicate that almost 50% of the adults on the Reservation over the age of 40 have diabetes. Over 37% of population is diabetic.

* As a result of the high rate of diabetes on the Reservation, diabetic-related blindness, amputations, and kidney failure are common.

* The tuberculosis rate on the Pine Ridge Reservation is approximately 800% higher than the U.S. national average.

* Cervical cancer is 500% higher than the U.S. national average.

* Each winter, Reservation Elders are found dead from hypothermia (freezing).

* It is reported that at least 60% of the homes on the Pine Ridge Reservation are infested with Black Mold, Stachybotrys. This infestation causes an often-fatal condition with infants, children, elderly, those with damaged immune systems, and those with lung and pulmonary conditions at the highest risk. Exposure to this mold can cause hemorrhaging of the lungs and brain as well as cancer.

* Many Reservation residents live without health care due to vast travel distances involved in accessing that care. Additional factors include under-funded, under-staffed medical facilities and outdated or non-existent medical equipment. There is little hope for increased funding for Indian health care.

* Preventive healthcare programs are rare.

* In most of the treaties between the U.S. Government and Indian Nations, the U.S. government agreed to provide adequate medical care for Indians in return for vast quantities of land. The Indian Health Services (IHS) was set up to administer the health care for Indians under these treaties and receives an appropriation each year to fund Indian health care. Unfortunately, the appropriation is very small compared to the need. The IHS is understaffed and ill-equipped and can't possibly address the needs of Indian communities. Nowhere is this more apparent than on the Pine Ridge Reservation.

* School drop-out rate is over 70%.

* According to a Bureau of Indian Affairs report, the Pine Ridge Reservation schools are in the bottom 10% of school funding by U.S. Department of Education and the Bureau of Indian Affairs.

* Teacher turnover is 800% that of the U.S. national average

* The small Tribal Housing Authority homes on the Pine Ridge Reservation are so overcrowded and scarce that many homeless families often use tents or cars for shelter. Many families live in shacks, old trailers, or dilapidated mobile homes.

* There is a large homeless population on the Reservation, but most families never turn away a relative no matter how distant the blood relation. Consequently, many homes have large numbers of people living in them.

* There is an estimated average of 17 people living in each family home (a home which may only have two to three rooms). Some homes, built for 6 to 8 people, have up to 30 people living in them.

* 60% of Reservation families have no telephone.

* Over 33% of the Reservation homes lack basic water and sewage systems as well as electricity.

* Many residents must carry (often contaminated) water from the local rivers daily for their personal needs.

* 39% of the homes on the Pine Ridge Reservation have no electricity.

* 59% of the Reservation homes are substandard.

* It is reported that at least 60% of the homes on the Pine Ridge Reservation need to be burned to the ground and replaced with new housing due to infestation of the potentially-fatal Black Mold, Stachybotrys. There is no insurance or government program to assist families in replacing their homes.

* Some Reservation families are forced to sleep on dirt floors.

* Many Reservation homes lack adequate insulation. Even more homes lack central heating.

* Without basic insulation or central heating in their homes, many residents on the Pine Ridge Reservation use their ovens to heat their homes.

* Many Reservation homes lack stoves, refrigerators, beds, and/or basic furniture.

* Most Reservation families live in rural and often isolated areas.

* The largest town on the Reservation is the town of Pine Ridge which has a population of approximately 5,720 people and is the administrative center for the Reservation.

* There are few improved roads on the Reservation and many of the homes are inaccessible during times of heavy snow or rain.

* Weather is extreme on the Reservation. Severe winds are always a factor. Traditionally, summer temperatures reach well over 110*F and winters bring bitter cold with temperatures that can reach -50*F below zero or worse. Flooding, tornados, or wildfires are always a risk.

* Many of the wells and much of the water and land on the Reservation is contaminated with pesticides and other poisons from farming, mining, open dumps, and commercial and governmental mining operations outside the Reservation. A further source of contamination is buried ordnance and hazardous materials from closed U.S. military bombing ranges on the Reservation.

* The Pine Ridge Reservation still has no banks, motels, discount stores, or movie theaters. It has only one grocery store of any moderate size and it is located in the town of Pine Ridge on the Reservation.

* Several of the banks and lending institutions nearest to the Reservation were recently targeted for investigation of fraudulent or predatory lending practices, with the citizens of the Pine Ridge Reservation as their victims.

* There are no public libraries except one at the Oglala Lakota College of the reservation.

* There is no public transportation available on the Reservation.

* Ownership of operable automobiles by residents of the Reservation is highly limited.

* Predominate form of travel for all ages on the Reservation is walking or hitchhiking.

* There is one very small airport on the Reservation servicing both the Pine Ridge Reservation and Shannon County. It's longest, paved runway extends 4,969 feet. There are no commercial flights available.

* There is one radio station on the Pine Ridge Reservation. KILI 90.1FM is located near the town of Porcupine on the Reservation.

* Alcoholism affects eight out of ten families on the Reservation.

* The death rate from alcohol-related problems on the Reservation is 300% higher than the remaining US population.

* The Oglala Lakota Nation has prohibited the sale and possession of alcohol on the Pine Ridge Reservation since the early 1970's. However, the town of Whiteclay, Nebraska (which sits 400 yards off the Reservation border in a contested "buffer" zone) has approximately 14 residents and four liquor stores which sell over 4.1 million cans of beer each year resulting in a $3million annual trade. Unlike other Nebraska communities, Whiteclay exists only to sell liquor and make money. It has no schools, no churches, no civic organizations, no parks, no benches, no public bathrooms, no fire service and no law enforcement. Tribal officials have repeatedly pleaded with the State of Nebraska to close these liquor stores or enforce the State laws regulating liquor stores but have been consistently refused.

* Scientific studies show that the High Plains/Oglala Aquifer which begins underneath the Pine Ridge Reservation is predicted to run dry within the next thirty years, possibly as early as the year 2005, due to commercial interest use and dryland farming in numerous states south of the Reservation. This critical North American underground water resource is not renewable at anything near the present consumption rate. The recent years of drought have simply accelerated the problem.

* Scientific studies show that much of the High Plains/Oglala Aquifer has been contaminated with farming pesticides and commercial, factory, mining, and industrial contaminants in the States of South Dakota, Wyoming, Nebraska, Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas.

* The Tribal nations are considered to have sovereign governmental status and have a government to government relationship with the United States. The Oglala Lakota Sioux Tribal government operates under a constitution consistent with the Indian Reorganization Act of 1934 and approved by the Tribal membership and Tribal Council of the Oglala Lakota Sioux Tribe. The Tribe is governed by an elected body consisting of a 5 member Executive Committee and an 18 member Tribal Council, all of whom serve a four year term.

(Compiled from recent political, government, and tribal publications)
If you wish a list of the resources and publications used for this report, please contact: Stephanie M. Schwartz at [email protected]

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

Lol

Lol
True, I grew up on the pine ridge Indian reservation. Pure socialism and 100% government controlled. I had to get an education after I was 17 when I left the Indian reservation.

Pine Ridge Reservation

STATISTICAL DATA

Despite nearly-insurmountable conditions, few resources, and against unbelievable odds, Indigenous people are struggling hard to overcome decades of neglect, discrimination and forced destruction of their traditional cultures to promote a life of self-respect and self-sufficiency.

BRIEF STATISTICS

* 97% of of the population at Pine Ridge Reservation live below federal poverty line.

* Death due to Heart Disease: Twice the national average.

* Elderly die each winter from hypothermia (freezing).

* Recent reports point out that the median income on the Pine Ridge Reservation is approximately $2,600 to $3,500 per year.

* At least 60% of the homes are severely substandard, without water, electricity, adequate insulation, and sewage systems.

* Recent reports state the average life expectancy is 45 years old while others state that it is 48 years old for men and 52 years old for women. With either set of figures, that's the shortest life expectancy for any community in the Western Hemisphere outside Haiti, according to The Wall Street Journal.

INTRODUCTORY

Hidden away, dotted throughout the landscape of America, are the Reservations of the Indigenous People of our land. Mostly unknown or forgotten by the mainstream culture of the dominant U.S. society, the average United States resident knows little or nothing about these people other than what romanticized versions they see in movies and television or else in their nearest Reservation casino. Most assume that whatever poverty exists on a reservation is most certainly comparable to that which they might experience themselves.

And definitely, mainstream Americans are accustomed to being exposed to poverty. It has become nearly invisible due to its overwhelming presence everywhere. We drive through our cities now with a blind eye, numb to the suffering around us. Even more, we watch the televised reports of Third World countries, shake our heads and turn away, rightfully assuming that our government and our charities will help those in need all over the globe.

But the question begs: What about the foreign nations on America's own soil, within this country, a part and yet apart from mainstream society? What about the Native American Nations on America's reservations? Few mainstream Americans know anything about the people that live on these reservations and fewer still know or comprehend the unconscionable conditions present on many of them.

What many do not know is that a staggering number of residents on Native American reservations live in abject conditions rivaling, or even surpassing, that of many Third World countries.

This report chronicles just one Nation, the Oglala Lakota (Sioux) Nation of the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota. Yet the name and only a few details could easily be changed to describe a host of others; Dineh (Navajo), Ute Mountain Ute, Tohono O'odham, Pima, Yaqui, Ojibwa, Chippewa, the list is long.

But despite nearly-insurmountable conditions, few resources, and against unbelievable odds, Nation after Nation of Indigenous leaders and their people are working hard to counteract decades of oppression and forced destruction of their cultures to bring their citizens back to a life of self-respect and self-sufficiency in today's world.

Below are further in depth statistics of Pine Ridge

IN DEPTH STATISTICS

* The Pine Ridge Oglala Lakota (Sioux) Indian Reservation sits in Bennett, Jackson, and Shannon Counties and is located in the southwest corner of South Dakota, fifty miles east of the Wyoming border.

* The 11,000-square mile (over 2 million acres) Oglala Lakota Pine Ridge Reservation is the second-largest Native American Reservation within the United States. It is roughly the size of the State of Connecticut.

* The Reservation is divided into eight districts: Eagle Nest, Pass Creek, Wakpamni, LaCreek, Pine Ridge, White Clay, Medicine Root, Porcupine, and Wounded Knee.

* The topography of the Pine Ridge Reservation includes badlands, rolling grassland hills, dryland prairie, and areas dotted with pine trees.

* According to the 1998 Bureau of Indian Affairs Census, the Pine Ridge Reservation is home to approximately 40,000 persons, 35% of which are under the age of 16. Approximately half the residents of the Reservation are registered tribal members of the Oglala Lakota Nation.

* The population is steadily rising, despite the severe conditions on the Reservation, as more and more Oglala Lakota return home from far-away cities in order to live within their societal values, be with their families, and assist with the revitalization of their culture and their Nation.

* Recent reports point out that the median income on the Pine Ridge Reservation is approximately $2,600 per year.

* There is no industry, technology, or commercial infrastructure on the Reservation to provide employment.

* The nearest town of size (which provides some jobs for those few persons able to travel the distance) is Rapid City, South Dakota with approximately 57,000 residents. It is located approximately 120 miles from the Reservation. The nearest large city to Pine Ridge is Denver, Colorado located about 350 miles away.

* Some figures state that the life expectancy on the Reservation is 48 years old for men and 52 for women. Other reports state that the average life expectancy on the Reservation is 45 years old. With either set of figures, that's the shortest life expectancy for a community anywhere in the Western Hemisphere outside Haiti, according to The Wall Street Journal.

* Teenage suicide rate on the Pine Ridge Reservation is 150% higher than the U.S. national average for this age group.

* More than half the Reservation's adults battle addiction and disease. Alcoholism, diabetes, heart disease, cancer, and malnutrition are rampant.

* The rate of diabetes on the Reservation is reported to be 800% higher than the U.S. national average.

* Recent reports indicate that almost 50% of the adults on the Reservation over the age of 40 have diabetes. Over 37% of population is diabetic.

* As a result of the high rate of diabetes on the Reservation, diabetic-related blindness, amputations, and kidney failure are common.

* The tuberculosis rate on the Pine Ridge Reservation is approximately 800% higher than the U.S. national average.

* Cervical cancer is 500% higher than the U.S. national average.

* Each winter, Reservation Elders are found dead from hypothermia (freezing).

* It is reported that at least 60% of the homes on the Pine Ridge Reservation are infested with Black Mold, Stachybotrys. This infestation causes an often-fatal condition with infants, children, elderly, those with damaged immune systems, and those with lung and pulmonary conditions at the highest risk. Exposure to this mold can cause hemorrhaging of the lungs and brain as well as cancer.

* Many Reservation residents live without health care due to vast travel distances involved in accessing that care. Additional factors include under-funded, under-staffed medical facilities and outdated or non-existent medical equipment. There is little hope for increased funding for Indian health care.

* Preventive healthcare programs are rare.

* In most of the treaties between the U.S. Government and Indian Nations, the U.S. government agreed to provide adequate medical care for Indians in return for vast quantities of land. The Indian Health Services (IHS) was set up to administer the health care for Indians under these treaties and receives an appropriation each year to fund Indian health care. Unfortunately, the appropriation is very small compared to the need. The IHS is understaffed and ill-equipped and can't possibly address the needs of Indian communities. Nowhere is this more apparent than on the Pine Ridge Reservation.

* School drop-out rate is over 70%.

* According to a Bureau of Indian Affairs report, the Pine Ridge Reservation schools are in the bottom 10% of school funding by U.S. Department of Education and the Bureau of Indian Affairs.

* Teacher turnover is 800% that of the U.S. national average

* The small Tribal Housing Authority homes on the Pine Ridge Reservation are so overcrowded and scarce that many homeless families often use tents or cars for shelter. Many families live in shacks, old trailers, or dilapidated mobile homes.

* There is a large homeless population on the Reservation, but most families never turn away a relative no matter how distant the blood relation. Consequently, many homes have large numbers of people living in them.

* There is an estimated average of 17 people living in each family home (a home which may only have two to three rooms). Some homes, built for 6 to 8 people, have up to 30 people living in them.

* 60% of Reservation families have no telephone.

* Over 33% of the Reservation homes lack basic water and sewage systems as well as electricity.

* Many residents must carry (often contaminated) water from the local rivers daily for their personal needs.

* 39% of the homes on the Pine Ridge Reservation have no electricity.

* 59% of the Reservation homes are substandard.

* It is reported that at least 60% of the homes on the Pine Ridge Reservation need to be burned to the ground and replaced with new housing due to infestation of the potentially-fatal Black Mold, Stachybotrys. There is no insurance or government program to assist families in replacing their homes.

* Some Reservation families are forced to sleep on dirt floors.

* Many Reservation homes lack adequate insulation. Even more homes lack central heating.

* Without basic insulation or central heating in their homes, many residents on the Pine Ridge Reservation use their ovens to heat their homes.

* Many Reservation homes lack stoves, refrigerators, beds, and/or basic furniture.

* Most Reservation families live in rural and often isolated areas.

* The largest town on the Reservation is the town of Pine Ridge which has a population of approximately 5,720 people and is the administrative center for the Reservation.

* There are few improved roads on the Reservation and many of the homes are inaccessible during times of heavy snow or rain.

* Weather is extreme on the Reservation. Severe winds are always a factor. Traditionally, summer temperatures reach well over 110*F and winters bring bitter cold with temperatures that can reach -50*F below zero or worse. Flooding, tornados, or wildfires are always a risk.

* Many of the wells and much of the water and land on the Reservation is contaminated with pesticides and other poisons from farming, mining, open dumps, and commercial and governmental mining operations outside the Reservation. A further source of contamination is buried ordnance and hazardous materials from closed U.S. military bombing ranges on the Reservation.

* The Pine Ridge Reservation still has no banks, motels, discount stores, or movie theaters. It has only one grocery store of any moderate size and it is located in the town of Pine Ridge on the Reservation.

* Several of the banks and lending institutions nearest to the Reservation were recently targeted for investigation of fraudulent or predatory lending practices, with the citizens of the Pine Ridge Reservation as their victims.

* There are no public libraries except one at the Oglala Lakota College of the reservation.

* There is no public transportation available on the Reservation.

* Ownership of operable automobiles by residents of the Reservation is highly limited.

* Predominate form of travel for all ages on the Reservation is walking or hitchhiking.

* There is one very small airport on the Reservation servicing both the Pine Ridge Reservation and Shannon County. It's longest, paved runway extends 4,969 feet. There are no commercial flights available.

* There is one radio station on the Pine Ridge Reservation. KILI 90.1FM is located near the town of Porcupine on the Reservation.

* Alcoholism affects eight out of ten families on the Reservation.

* The death rate from alcohol-related problems on the Reservation is 300% higher than the remaining US population.

* The Oglala Lakota Nation has prohibited the sale and possession of alcohol on the Pine Ridge Reservation since the early 1970's. However, the town of Whiteclay, Nebraska (which sits 400 yards off the Reservation border in a contested "buffer" zone) has approximately 14 residents and four liquor stores which sell over 4.1 million cans of beer each year resulting in a $3million annual trade. Unlike other Nebraska communities, Whiteclay exists only to sell liquor and make money. It has no schools, no churches, no civic organizations, no parks, no benches, no public bathrooms, no fire service and no law enforcement. Tribal officials have repeatedly pleaded with the State of Nebraska to close these liquor stores or enforce the State laws regulating liquor stores but have been consistently refused.

* Scientific studies show that the High Plains/Oglala Aquifer which begins underneath the Pine Ridge Reservation is predicted to run dry within the next thirty years, possibly as early as the year 2005, due to commercial interest use and dryland farming in numerous states south of the Reservation. This critical North American underground water resource is not renewable at anything near the present consumption rate. The recent years of drought have simply accelerated the problem.

* Scientific studies show that much of the High Plains/Oglala Aquifer has been contaminated with farming pesticides and commercial, factory, mining, and industrial contaminants in the States of South Dakota, Wyoming, Nebraska, Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas.

* The Tribal nations are considered to have sovereign governmental status and have a government to government relationship with the United States. The Oglala Lakota Sioux Tribal government operates under a constitution consistent with the Indian Reorganization Act of 1934 and approved by the Tribal membership and Tribal Council of the Oglala Lakota Sioux Tribe. The Tribe is governed by an elected body consisting of a 5 member Executive Committee and an 18 member Tribal Council, all of whom serve a four year term.

(Compiled from recent political, government, and tribal publications)
If you wish a list of the resources and publications used for this report, please contact: Stephanie M. Schwartz at [email protected]

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

That explains a lot about you. Thanks for the insight.

Three - you're misapplying how the 0.004% number extrapolates across the rest of the data.
Four - it's shooters - not schools - who shoot anything. You're arbitrarily choosing "school type" as to what to look at...as some determinant factor - all the while using false data.

Not sure how much harder down fail road you really wanna go - but IF YOU MUST....here's another fail: How come you're only going to 2000? What did "catholic schools" change in 2000 that wasn't the same prior, that you feel is the magical inference to make your fake zero number of school shootings? What changed in catholic schools in the year 2000? I'll wait.

I want to look at schools because we're discussing "school shootings", not playground shootings, Walmart shootings, swimming pool shootings, or random act shootings.
The "schools" need to be in the equation for "school shootings"
I used 2000 since that's where the link I found started from. Its a reasonable range considering when school shootings became more frequent.
School shootings seem more frequent after Columbine in 1999.
Actually the Catholic school population has been declining due to expense. From 5m in 1960 to about 2m now. Parents pay public school taxes and private school tuition.

ednext-aug18-dolan-catholic-school-fig01.png

Not sure how much harder down fail road you really wanna go - but IF YOU MUST....here's another fail: How come you're only going to 2000? What did "catholic schools" change in 2000 that wasn't the same prior, that you feel is the magical inference to make your fake zero number of school shootings? What changed in catholic schools in the year 2000? I'll wait.

I want to look at schools because we're discussing "school shootings", not playground shootings, Walmart shootings, swimming pool shootings, or random act shootings.
I used 2000 since that's where the link I found started from. Its a reasonable range considering when school shootings became more frequent.
Actually the Catholic school population has been declining due to expense. From 5m in 1960 to about 2m now. Parents pay public school taxes and private school tuition.

Interesting that the religious staff has gone down and the secular staff has gone up. Seems to kill the idea it is about religion.

Notice how the enrollment went down while staffing stayed the same...this is the biggest advantage they have. A smaller teacher to student ratio.

You used bad data to make a bad inference and made an incoherent correlation, is what you did.

My last post links you to yet ANOTHER private school shooting since 2000.

Forum List

Back