No shootings at parochial schools. Why? What are they doing right?

What are Catholic/private schools doing right that Public schools are not?

• More discipline

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Religious teaching

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • High tuition

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • More parental involvement

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Strict dress code

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 36.0%

• Total voters
Private schools are afforded the privilege of being selective in who they allow to be students. Public schools don’t have that luxury. They have to accept everyone including mental cases and psychopaths. They can only act after someone does something, which may be too little and too late.
It wasn't like that when I went back in the 1960's and early 1970's.

The math went over your head, is the thing.

Only 10% of all k-12 students attend private schools. Not sure where the fuck youre getting your numbers, or if you're visiting some quirky website that's including tuition-based Colleges or something...but it's certainly speshulll math. 5% of them are Catholic schools.

The point in bringing up that it's a statistical anomaly, is because shootings (lets use 200 shootings since 2000, so over 19years) occuring at a school (using 38,000 which is a low-ball estimate to keep it simple for you)...Is 10.5 shootings per year since 2000...

Using the 19-year average(10.5/yr), that means that there's a 300ths, of ONE-percent chance...that 1 of the 38, 000 schools per year has a shooter.

5% of 300ths of one percent is the chances that its a catholic school. so in 200 shootings, by probability ALONE, youd expect to see ZERO of them at the catholic schools

And you're alluding to....by some awesome mathematical genius that nobody else is privy to...the fact that its IN VIRTUE of them being catholic schools.....

when the math alone put their probability at statistical ZERO of having one of the shootings in any given year.

You're making a bad inference, and you're also starting with false statistics, to boot.
1. You post data without a source, so your numbers are bullshit. Stick with (10,693/37,000) high schools, or 29% private/Catholic. See my link in #2 above
2. I posted a credible link that shows that 29% of US high schools are "private", including about 53% Catholic
3. Using the most recent number of 200 school shootings means that 58 should have been at private schools, yet there were ZERO at private/Catholic schools, WHY? QED
I posted a source...your catholic schools only have 5% of the children, derp.

How many students will attend school in fall 2019?
About 56.6 million students will attend elementary, middle, and high schools across the United States (source).
  • 50.8 million students in public schools
  • 5.8 million students in private schools
(dont tell anyone, but that's 10% total students go to private schools, and about 5% to catholic schools)
dotgov source --> Fast Facts: Back to school statistics (372)

OK, use your numbers, students not schools. 10% go to private/Catholic schools

So, 10% x 200 shootings means that 20 (not 29) shootings should have been at private/Catholic schools, yet there were ZERO, WHY?
I'm not going to explain the math to you all over again, dude. It's a little ridiculous that you think that that's what you're supposed to extrapolate from that data, and that's like a bridge too far at that point.

I'd be happy for you to tell me ANY virtue that you think that POSSIBLY exists in schools getting 0% of school shootings in 19-years that the schools getting statistical zero magically don't have. If you cannot think about that and realize why it's a bad inference, hey...you cannot FORCE logic on the masses...

Better put:
ANY virtue....literally ANY virtue you want to apply to "Catholic" schools that you think is preventing them from school shootings? ALSO, by your own bad-inference-logic, applies to 99.97% of public schools. Does that make it clearer, for you?
If not, my arms are in the air man! Can't fix that.

We basically disagree on statistical inference vs statistical significance. I'm not looking at the probability of a school shooting, but at the statistical makeup of the 200 school shootings. What is the probability of a shooting at a public school vs a private/Catholic school, even correcting for the numerical difference in schools.
IMHO 200 school shootings, all at public schools,
when 71% of schools are public, and 29% private/Catholic is statistically significant.

I don't know why there haven''t been school shootings at private/Catholic schools. Why are nearly all school shooters young white males? Is it mental illness? Would profiling help? Is it related to their home life? Financial situation? Social life? Religious attitude, etc.

The only statistical significance is that your numbers are WAY off!

In 2012, a fired teacher walked into the offices of an Episcopal school in Jacksonville, FL and murdered the principal, then killed himself. I guess that doesn't fit the alleged pattern either.

What shows this teacher was fired on good reasons.

Are you on the German Olympic Team? You should be after making that leap!

Those Nuns are mean bitches

3f4a5eb57a3caea5384202bb71323b7e--benedict-school-school-grades.jpg

Okay - a nun looks at something and and has a lineal in her hands. And you call her a mean bitch. So you are in your view of the world the good guy the world waits for to learn from his wisdom. Ugly! You, not she.

"God with us" here means "God be with us in victory and defeat". It remembered German soldiers to be generous in case of victory and not to be despaired in case of defeat. The Nazis modified this with their Swastika. So if you should think the words "god with us" had anything to do with the Nazis then you are wrong.

Last edited:
In 2012, a fired teacher walked into the offices of an Episcopal school in Jacksonville, FL and murdered the principal, then killed himself. I guess that doesn't fit the alleged pattern either.

?

Get someone who speaks English to explain it to you.

?

Get someone who speaks English to explain it to you.

Aha - a typical uneducated and arrogant US-American asshole. You speak the language of your masters, colonist - ah sorry: imperialist. Times are changing. Now you are the asshole, your parents warned you never to be.

Last edited:
1. You post data without a source, so your numbers are bullshit. Stick with (10,693/37,000) high schools, or 29% private/Catholic. See my link in #2 above
2. I posted a credible link that shows that 29% of US high schools are "private", including about 53% Catholic
3. Using the most recent number of 200 school shootings means that 58 should have been at private schools, yet there were ZERO at private/Catholic schools, WHY? QED

About 56.6 million students will attend elementary, middle, and high schools across the United States (source).
(dont tell anyone, but that's 10% total students go to private schools, and about 5% to catholic schools)

So, 10% x 200 shootings means that 20 (not 29) shootings should have been at private/Catholic schools, yet there were ZERO, WHY?
I'm not going to explain the math to you all over again, dude. It's a little ridiculous that you think that that's what you're supposed to extrapolate from that data, and that's like a bridge too far at that point.

I'd be happy for you to tell me ANY virtue that you think that POSSIBLY exists in schools getting 0% of school shootings in 19-years that the schools getting statistical zero magically don't have. If you cannot think about that and realize why it's a bad inference, hey...you cannot FORCE logic on the masses...

Better put:
ANY virtue....literally ANY virtue you want to apply to "Catholic" schools that you think is preventing them from school shootings? ALSO, by your own bad-inference-logic, applies to 99.97% of public schools. Does that make it clearer, for you?

We basically disagree on statistical inference vs statistical significance. I'm not looking at the probability of a school shooting, but at the statistical makeup of the 200 school shootings. What is the probability of a shooting at a public school vs a private/Catholic school, even correcting for the numerical difference in schools.
when 71% of schools are public, and 29% private/Catholic is statistically significant.

I don't know why there haven''t been school shootings at private/Catholic schools. Why are nearly all school shooters young white males? Is it mental illness? Would profiling help? Is it related to their home life? Financial situation? Social life? Religious attitude, etc.

OMG. How about a few links to explain why you think the numbers are "way off". I have links documenting my posts and numbers:
https://www.quora.com/How-many-high-schools-are-there-in-the-US
"According to the latest research made in 2001, there are about 26,407 public secondary schools, and 10,693 private secondary schools in the USA."
So that's about 37,000 high schools, with 10,693/37,000 = 29% private/Catholic. Other links show about 53% of private schools are Catholic

Better put:

OMG. How about a few links to explain why you think the numbers are "way off". I have links documenting my posts and numbers:
"According to the latest research made in 2001, there are about 26,407 public secondary schools, and 10,693 private secondary schools in the USA."
So that's about 37,000 high schools, with 10,693/37,000 = 29% private/Catholic. Other links show about 53% of private schools are Catholic

Shootings happen at more than just secondary schools. Why limit your count to them?

Better put:

Shooters are PEOPLE -not SCHOOLS - what the actual fuck goes through your head, i really wonder.

5% of ALL STUDENTS attended Catholic Schools.

5%!

Not to mention, your 200 and zero was incorrect anyhow.

Excluding suicides, there were actually only 134 school shootings from 2000 to 2018 - of which, 8 were in private schools and there's a possibility that any of (4) additionals were, as well, as 4 were not able to be determined as public or private.

Private schools account for 10% of all students, k-12.

You'd expect 13 and there were 8, from private schools.

This thread is pure idiocy.

Here’s a list of every school shooting over the past 50 years | TribLIVE.com

I don't see a list of school shootings in your bullshit link. Where did you get the 8 private school shootings?
Here is a link that shows ZERO school shootings at Catholic schools, which are about 53% of all private high schools.
Catholic schools, spared from mass school shootings, remain vigilant

From your last post: "You'd expect 13 and there were 8, from private schools."
You'd expect 13 and there were ZERO at Catholic schools, (or expect 7 and there were ZERO). Zero is still a powerful number compared to 200 school shootings.

Excluding suicides, there were actually only 134 school shootings from 2000 to 2018 - of which, 8 were in private schools and there's a possibility that any of (4) additionals were, as well, as 4 were not able to be determined as public or private.

I don't see a list of school shootings in your bullshit link. Where did you get the 8 private school shootings?
Here is a link that shows ZERO school shootings at Catholic schools, which are about 53% of all private high schools.

You'd expect 13 and there were ZERO at Catholic schools, (or expect 7 and there were ZERO). Zero is still a powerful number compared to 200 school shootings.
There weren't 200, your source is a biased source.

Also, a poster (3 posters, now) linked you to shootings at Private schools.

One, you dismissed as a teacher/suicide incident.

Well, Poe, when you remove those from your TWO HUNDRED number, it's no longer even 200 and the odds are even WORSE for your dogshit narrative.

Last, for the logically impaired - - - even if we accept all of YOUR dogshit numbers...and YOUR dogshit, illogical inferences...

Using YOUR logic, ANYthing you're saying is the virtue which caused "zero" (cough) shootings at the Catholic Schools, would ALSO APPLY to ALL SCHOOLS with ZERO shootings...which, as it's been pointed out, is 99.996%.

Just face it, dude. Your thread was an attempt at pearl clutching - another "get off my lawn! kids these days!" self-aggrandizement - and in this case, Religious indoctrination.

I was curious if any school shootings happened at Catholic schools, so far there were none. There were about 200 public school shootings since 2000.
This is significant since about 25% of US students attend Catholic/private schools. Should public schools learn from what Catholic schools are doing right? Maybe buying bullet-proof backpacks isn't the answer?

Lets take a poll...

Actually, parochial students have low tuition. Tuition for high school is about $8000 for Catholic schools, about 1/2 of that for non-sectarian high schools.

But when I was in school years ago, the brothers wouldn't allow students to do this kind of shit. They instilled the fear of Almighty God in the students. Any violence that needed done, the brothers and priests would do it, they didn't need the help of the students.

Better put:

Shootings happen at more than just secondary schools. Why limit your count to them?

It seemed simpler and more statistically accurate to compare HS shootings. Public vs private/Catholic. The link in the OP says that there were zero shootings at Catholic schools. That seemed significant to me. So I created the thread to discuss. It gets complicated due to elementary schools, middle schools, secondary schools, and colleges. If you look at High Schools there are 29% private/Catholic. If you look at students, 10% are private+Catholic and about 5% are Catholic. My math says that for 200 shootings, and 10% of the kids go to private/Catholic schools, 20 or so shootings should have happened at private/Catholic schools, yet there were zero. Why is that?

Better put:

It seemed simpler and more statistically accurate to compare HS shootings. Public vs private/Catholic. The link in the OP says that there were zero shootings at Catholic schools. That seemed significant to me. So I created the thread to discuss. It gets complicated due to elementary schools, middle schools, secondary schools, and colleges. If you look at High Schools there are 29% private/Catholic. If you look at students, 10% are private+Catholic and about 5% are Catholic. My math says that for 200 shootings, and 10% of the kids go to private/Catholic schools, 20 or so shootings should have happened at private/Catholic schools, yet there were zero. Why is that?
As soon as you answer why there's no shootings at 99.996% of public schools - you'd see why your inference is bad.

What are all of those public schools doing successfully?

There have been shootings at private schools, you keep ignoring this.

Also, according to this site there have been 942 shootings in high schools since 1970.

Incidents by School Type - K-12 School Shooting Database

Using your number of high schools that means that 3.57% of the schools have had a shooting, at statistically it would be expected that 1.03% of private high schools would have had one.

According to this article, 7% of shootings have taken place at private schools.

Four Conclusions You Can’t Draw From Data on School Shootings

I would also argue it is wrong to look at the number of schools and you should be looking at the total number of students.

There weren't 200, your source is a biased source.

Also, a poster (3 posters, now) linked you to shootings at Private schools.

One, you dismissed as a teacher/suicide incident.

Well, Poe, when you remove those from your TWO HUNDRED number, it's no longer even 200 and the odds are even WORSE for your dogshit narrative.

Last, for the logically impaired - - - even if we accept all of YOUR dogshit numbers...and YOUR dogshit, illogical inferences...

Using YOUR logic, ANYthing you're saying is the virtue which caused "zero" (cough) shootings at the Catholic Schools, would ALSO APPLY to ALL SCHOOLS with ZERO shootings...which, as it's been pointed out, is 99.996%.

Just face it, dude. Your thread was an attempt at pearl clutching - another "get off my lawn! kids these days!" self-aggrandizement - and in this case, Religious indoctrination.
I'm looking at the makeup of 200 school shootings, not 50,000,000 students, or 330m Americans, or 7.53b people on earth.
IMHO 200 school shootings, all at public schools, when 71% of schools are public, and 29% private/Catholic is statistically significant.

I don't know why there haven''t been school shootings at private/Catholic schools. Why are nearly all school shooters young white males? Is it mental illness? Would profiling help? Is it related to their home life? Financial situation? Social life? Religious attitude, etc

School shooting score card: Public schools 200, private/Catholic schools 0, as a percent 200/26,000 = 0.8% public, 0.00000% private/Catholic

Forum List

Back