Zone1 No Wonder Why I Had Doubts In God's Existence Before

I was just having this conversation with my fiancee. A long time ago I couldn't make up my mind on what I actually believed since there are so many beliefs out there, but that's the problem. I was thinking with my mind instead of my heart and the mind can deceive you and has caused me to doubt in the past, but my heart has never faltered.

Surely if there were a God, all people would worship in the same way.

Don't be silly. We are constantly evolving. Natural selection is predicated on functional advantage. If something has no functional advantage it goes away. Logic tells us that unless something offers value it will not last. Experience tells us that unless something offers value it will not stand.

So clearly, religion or belief in a higher power must offer a functional advantage. Otherwise it would have faded away.
Herd instinct has value for the race.

I am pointing out that that is a common trait among religions. We see it here every day. You are doing the same thing. It's actually something I try not to do.
Ah, well if you don't do it then I must not have a religion.

What is it that makes you happy?
My kids, a hot cup of coffee, lunch with my girlfriend, taking the Porsche down a twisty but vacant road, turning leaves, the daylilies in my front yard, watching my cat chase it's tail... How long a list do you want?

You can always spot a religious adherent by how they attack rival religions. Happens here everyday.
Well, when you think about it, they and anyone who attacks religions are all correct, in that the "other religion(s)" is, indeed, a false pile of myths.

So what you are saying is a virtue, in a way.

I was just having this conversation with my fiancee. A long time ago I couldn't make up my mind on what I actually believed since there are so many beliefs out there, but that's the problem. I was thinking with my mind instead of my heart and the mind can deceive you and has caused me to doubt in the past, but my heart has never faltered.
You are in error believing that--Jeremiah 17:9--The heart is treacherous and desperate who can know it.
God has 1 belief, 1 truth. Jesus is with 1 single religion-1 Cor 1:10. The rest belong to satan.

I was a non-believer for a few yesrs in my youth/early adult life. Though I had an experience that can only be described as supernatural. For years I still tried to make excuses for what I experienced,.but years later there is no other explanation, it was not an accident. Thus,.if I believe in ghosts or the spiritual world,.I should believe in a G-d, right?

Of course, there is robbery, murder, addictions and any other form of self indulgence. Because decency is a byproduct of belief and faith, that sense of decency has to be destroyed. It is not part of the future we are trying to build.

The Constitution was written for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for the governance of any other.
John Adams.

We can't have that.

Interesting that fear of eternal punishment's is all that keeps you from those things.

Of course, there is robbery, murder, addictions and any other form of self indulgence. Because decency is a byproduct of belief and faith, that sense of decency has to be destroyed. It is not part of the future we are trying to build.

The Constitution was written for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for the governance of any other.
John Adams.

We can't have that.
Decency is not a product of faith.

It is a product of reason

My kids, a hot cup of coffee, lunch with my girlfriend, taking the Porsche down a twisty but vacant road, turning leaves, the daylilies in my front yard, watching my cat chase it's tail... How long a list do you want?
Without listing things that make you happy, why are you happy? Picture a time of no kids or girlfriend, no coffee, no Porsche, daylilies, or cat. Would you still be happy, or is your happiness only skin deep and your happiness depends on things.

What is it, deep down within you, that you have that not only makes it a pleasure to be around you, but also gets you through tough days and times of small failures? What will you accomplish today for others that makes it better than yesterday?

As an after thought: Why does the idea of people of faith putting God first seem to get your goat?

Without listing things that make you happy, why are you happy? Picture a time of no kids or girlfriend, no coffee, no Porsche, daylilies, or cat. Would you still be happy, or is your happiness only skin deep and your happiness depends on things.

What is it, deep down within you, that you have that not only makes it a pleasure to be around you, but also gets you through tough days and times of small failures? What will you accomplish today for others that makes it better than yesterday?

As an after thought: Why does the idea of people of faith putting God first seem to get your goat?
I'm naturally predisposed to be happy I guess.

Your mythology has nothing to do with it.

Organized religion has killed more people than cancer, which it strongly resembles with it's tendency to spread and corrupt.

Forum List

Back