Nobody ever heard of Juneteenth before Trump made it famous

Frankly Sunni, I had never heard of the term Juneteenth before all of this rioting and looting occurred.
I suspect that that just as the negative culture inner-city blacks are unable to say the simple three letter word "ask" properly (saying ax instead), that Juneteenth word came out of some ignorant corruption of just saying June 19th.
Having lived in Texas I knew about Juneteenth because it's taught in public school as part of the states history. But I've never seen it celebrated until now, when the BLM loons used the date to attack Trump.
In fact, people in other states had no idea that Juneteeth even existed. Now they are talking about making it a freakin national holiday.
Juneteenth is 1860's ebonics. ... :cool:

Last edited:
Going to school in Florida they never taught that in any class
I was also stationed at Fort Hood in Texas and never heard of it there either.

Until now, Juneteenth was kinda like Flag Day or UFO day.
Just another obscure day of observance on some calendar's that nobody paid attention to or celebrated. .. :cool:

Until now, Juneteenth was kinda like Flag Day or UFO day.
Just another obscure observance day that was on some calendar's but nobody celebrated. .. :cool:

UFO day? for those hitting the moonshine?

Seeing that Juneteenth is a state holiday in 48 states
Incorrect Poindexter. ... :cool:
Juneteenth is an official state holiday only in Texas where the historical event took place.

Frankly Sunni, I had never heard of the term Juneteenth before all of this rioting and looting occurred.
I suspect that that just as the negative culture inner-city blacks are unable to say the simple three letter word "ask" properly (saying ax instead), that Juneteenth word came out of some ignorant corruption of just saying June 19th.
"aks" comes from the West African languages which most of the slaves spoke. In those languages, the combination "sk" doesn't exist. By the time we are 7 or 8 years old, we literally no longer hear phonemes that are not used in our language. They join the other extraneous noise that we filter out when we are listening. So the slaves literally could not hear "ask." The closest they could come to replicating the sound was "aks." It's the same reason the Chinese substitute "l" for "r." There's no "r" sound in Chinese.

Then it became part of their dialect. Like the way some people in NYC say "terlit" instead of "toilet."

Pretty cool, huh? You learn something new every day.

"aks" comes from the West African languages which most of the slaves spoke. In those languages, the combination "sk" doesn't exist. By the time we are 7 or 8 years old, we literally no longer hear phonemes that are not used in our language. They join the other extraneous noise that we filter out when we are listening. So the slaves literally could not hear "ask." The closest they could come to replicating the sound was "aks." It's the same reason the Chinese substitute "l" for "r." There's no "r" sound in Chinese.
You'd think that after being in North America 400 years and freed from slavery over 150 years, plus attending standard english language public school. Black people would have shed the ebonics nonsense and speak correctly.

True that new Chinese immigrants have trouble with certain english words. But I've known many 2nd and 3rd generation American born Chinese) that have no trouble with the english language. .... :cool:

Last edited:
You'd think that after being in North America 400 years and freed from slavery, plus attending standard english language public school. Black people would have shed the ebonics nonsense and speak correctly.

True that recent Chinese immigrants have trouble with certain english words. But I've known many 2nd and 3rd generation ABC's (American Born Chinese) and they have no trouble with the english language. .... :cool:
You need to do a little more reading on dialect/accents. It is no different than people saying "terlit" in Queens or "git" instead of "get" in Georgia. Or "cah" instead of "car" in Boston. The reason many blacks still speak in their own dialect is because for so long they were segregated apart from "English" speaking society. People who speak in black dialect were raised in black communities where that dialect is common. Ever heard of the inner city? We all grow up speaking with the accent we were raised around.

Language is a fascinating topic.

But I've known many 2nd and 3rd generation ABC's (American Born Chinese) and they have no trouble with the english language. ...
Of course not. They were raised in the English language, being 2nd or 3rd generation Chinese. Losing the ability to hear those sounds happens as we acquire the language as infants and children.

You're the buffoon.

Presidential Message on Juneteenth
Issued on: June 19, 2018
Melania and I send our best wishes to those celebrating Juneteenth.
On this day in 1865, Major General Gordon Granger of the Union Army arrived in Galveston, Texas, to declare the end of the Civil War and issue a long-awaited order freeing the remaining slaves in Texas. Although President Abraham Lincoln had issued the Emancipation Proclamation more than two years earlier, the freedom of most slaves depended on the advancement of the Union Army, which brought with it enforcement of the Proclamation. In Texas, General Granger’s order was a major step in our Nation’s effort to abolish slavery forever.
This historic moment would not have been possible without the courage and sacrifice of the nearly 200,000 former enslaved and free African Americans who fought for liberty alongside more than 2 million Union servicemen. These brave individuals fought to defend the God-given rights of those unjustly held in bondage.
As a Nation, we vow to never forget the millions of African Americans who suffered the evils of slavery. Together, we honor the unbreakable spirit and countless contributions of generations of African Americans to the story of American greatness. Today and every day, we recommit ourselves to defending the self-evident truth, boldly declared by our Founding Fathers, that all people are created equal.

Your defense is a statement written by a staffer with Melania's name attached? The "I" could be the staffer for all we know...

I'm just messing with you...

Years ago I met an African from Ghana that spoke perfect British english. I swear he sounded like Prince Charles.
Come to find out there are 11 African countries that were British colonies, where english is the official language, and used by all government agencies and taught in school as the primary language.

I talked to a Kenyan friend of about the use of english language in his country. He told me that english is the official language of Kenya for business, at universities, and government. He said his tribal language of Swahili is used by most people at home and when family members get together. ... :cool:

You need to do a little more reading on dialect/accents. It is no different than people saying "terlit" in Queens or "git" instead of "get" in Georgia. Or "cah" instead of "car" in Boston. The reason many blacks still speak in their own dialect is because for so long they were segregated apart from "English" speaking society. People who speak in black dialect were raised in black communities where that dialect is common. Ever heard of the inner city? We all grow up speaking with the accent we were raised around.

Language is a fascinating topic.

You know, growing up in Montana, I never thought that I had an accent, because everyone else sounded just like me. But, when I came back home after being in the service for over a year, my Grandparents and family members told me that I now had an accent, and they said I talk funny. Interestingly enough, I've had a bit of a Southern accent when I was stationed down there, picked up a bit of a Northern accent when I was stationed in the Northeast, and now, my family tells me that I have a bit of a Texas accent. Depends on where you are at and how long you are there, but people will pick up the accent of wherever they are living.

You'd think that after being in North America 400 years and freed from slavery over 150 years, plus attending standard english language public school. Black people would have shed the ebonics nonsense and speak correctly.

True that new Chinese immigrants have trouble with certain english words. But I've known many 2nd and 3rd generation American born Chinese) that have no trouble with the english language. .... :cool:
OldLady is trying to make excuses for laziness in the public schools at the grade school level. The nonsense about no being able to pronounce the "sk" sound has nothing to do with any "ks" sound after literally generations here, or any regional dialect, as the "ks" is used across the entire nation and is more likely the stupidity of Ebonics, making them sound poorly educated, in a lame attempt to sound different, so as to sound, not white. It's like those fools that chastise fellow blacks that actually focus and study hard, as trying to "be white."

Actually I never hear of it in my 60 plus years. When I heard juneteenth I thought it was a made up holiday like kwanzaa or festivus. Can't be that important Hallmark doesn't even make a card for it
Ignorance of history is a dangerous thing

Our president actually said that. If there was any doubt about how little knowledge or concern he has for the black community, that one remark is enough to illustrate how much concern he has. I doubt his remark will hurt him though, because there couldn't be more than a few dozen black voters supporting him anyay. Seeing that Juneteenth is a state holiday in 48 states, and the White House released remarks commemorating it for the last three years, is there anyone who didn't know about Juneteenth before Trump came along?

If that’s true then why is the media trying to educate the public by running all these “What is Juneteenth?” articles?

None one has ever paid attention to this “holiday” before, not until President Trump made it famous.

Forum List

Back