'nother thread for no particular reason...

Be careful for what you wish. It nearly cost me my life.

Sounds like the opening to a novel.

It was the closing of a most conflicted chapter on my life. Achieved by the narrow victory of a single heartbeat. But the battle was hardly won.

Two of the most simple of happenstance saved me from ruin. A random newspaper byline, and a brief quote from a rather innocuous yet lengthy article in National Geographic.

Grief-laden days were relieved only by alcohol-induced sleepful nights. My tunnel ferreted nary a light.

In other words... I was totally fucked, but survived. :thup:

It was the closing of a most conflicted chapter on my life. Achieved by the narrow victory of a single heartbeat. But the battle was hardly won.

Two of the most simple of happenstance saved me from ruin. A random newspaper byline, and a brief quote from a rather innocuous yet lengthy article in National Geographic.

Grief-laden days were relieved only by alcohol-induced sleepful nights. My tunnel ferreted nary a light.

:smiliehug:

The Walk:

The Walk was a six mile route that feathered around a concourse of graveled country roads, ultimately terminating in a somewhat circular path back to home. I defined it, I took it. I made that path. More about that later.

In early days, we shared this path. As a lark, we set out exploring the confines of this yet-unknown traverse. Initially it was an easy breeze. To trod upon it became an easy encumbrance.

Still, this route should prove my most difficult of tasks.

The Hike:

That once-breezy walk became a defining moment in my life, once I took "the hike".

It was the dead of winter. By dead, I mean dead stone cold snow and ice.

And so, in my deep of hour I set out... into a most furious of blizzards...

And there was I, in the snow... in the ice.. seated prostate. The end of me? Most likely.

I slumped across a trunk. And prayed. Nothing. So I trod on. In snow that became more snow. In dark that became more dark. When I saw headlights, I dove for drift. I didn't want to be found. Did I want to die? I wasn't sure.

Redemption:

Broken as a man, broken financially... with a guilt-filled heart:

I open a newspaper... And I read: The Seven Signs of Emotional Abuse.

Before me lay the previous 13 years of my life. Vindication?

Of a sort.

Retribution?

Possibly.

Conclusion?

Yes!

The National Geographic:

Bored, broken, destitute. I pick up a copy of the Nat Geo. Old thing. I don't remember where it came from. Doesn't matter.

Can't remember the article, the story, the why or what.

All I remember are these words... "Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home".

And that was it. I was home, for what it was worth. The ensuing days of my life... were the ensuing days of my life. Simple as that.

Really sounds like a book now. :thup:

Oh and 4 bell peppers for a dollar. I fell to my knees. I had an epiphany.

lol... "fell to my knees and had an epiphany"...

I could say sumpin' rude, crude 'n totally unacceptable in response, but I won't...

but dang I'm sorely tempted... :)

You give me 4 bell peppers for a dollar? Your prices down there? Well strip me naked and I will run thru the store. One lady looking at me in Alexandria hugging steaks just didn't know what to do.

I was just warming them up baby:lol:You are so blessed down there.

Oh and 4 bell peppers for a dollar. I fell to my knees. I had an epiphany.

lol... "fell to my knees and had an epiphany"...

I could say sumpin' rude, crude 'n totally unacceptable in response, but I won't...

but dang I'm sorely tempted... :)

You give me 4 bell peppers for a dollar? Your prices down there? Well strip me naked and I will run thru the store. One lady looking at me in Alexandria hugging steaks just didn't know what to do.

I was just warming them up baby:lol:You are so blessed down there.

b'lieve me, if I get you nekked down here, it won't be to warm up the stuff in the grocery store... :)

Forum List

Back