Now it's a FELONY to write KKK on a window ledge!!!

Does the pdf state merely that depositions were taken - which isn't in dispute - or does it back your claim that depositions of voters who claimed they were intimidated were taken? There has to be an actual victim for the crime of voter intimidation to have occurred. The report you gave doesn't say that anyone who voted or was trying to vote at that precint claimed to have been intimidated, does it?

You do realize the the report comes from the Civil Rights Commission, don't you? Did you read all 200+ pages of it? Probably not, but if you look around pages 50-60 you'll find the depositions.

Does the pdf state merely that depositions were taken - which isn't in dispute - or does it back your claim that depositions of voters who claimed they were intimidated were taken?
Just for the record, it wasn't MY claim to begin with, b8ut the depositions were taken from the pollwatchers (both black and white, BTW) who witnessed the intimidation and witnessed the victims leaving the scene without voting.

The problem with your theory is that the defendent wasn't charged with threatening anyone.
You are correct, that theory is wrong.

In fact he was charged with criminal damage to property - which, under Illinois state law,is a felony when the property is a school

No he was not, he was charged with a felony hate crime. Stop trying to change the facts and either address the actual issue or go play with your dolls.

felony hate crime related to criminal damage to property
Myles Burton, Elmhurst College Student-Athlete, Faces Hate Crime Charges moron

btw, you idiots are whining over a guy getting PROBATION
Student who scratched
why is it the right spends so much time defending bigots?

I find it hilarious that the rightwingloons have a cow over what turns out to be basically a slap on the wrist for being an asshole and yet none of them care that a teen in Florida got 162 years in prison for a first offense.

I guess it has something to do with skin color.

Tell you what, make a nice thread about the case in Florida, let me check out what actually happened, convince me that it is as outrageous as you think, and watch me jump all over anyone who supports the sentence. Either that, or shut the frack up because you are actually the one making the judgement based on skin color.
There was a thread about it which has been mostly ignored.

btw, your repeated use of the word frack is retarded.

I can't find it, but the fact is that federal law sets mandatory minimums, and those are set up by Congress. They are also outrageous.

Ever wonder why the Obama administration decided to prosecute a black kid that shot at a dog?

U.S. Sentencing Commission: Mandatory Minimum Sentences are Excessive

What is considered to be hate speech, yes.

Have you ever seen this before?

{Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. }

Look, personally I think the douchebag should have been, in the absence of a threat, expelled but not necesssarily convicted of a hate crime. However, the laws governing this sort of act apparently don't allow for this distinction. Though I suppose some might consider the letters "KKK" to be a threat...

Back when we had the constitutional republic, speech was free. Offensive speech was frowned upon, but no one went to jail for saying or writing things the government objected to.

That was then, this is now.

We have no civil rights, just privilege granted by our rulers and based on group identity.

Anyway... All I really know is, I'm not overly fond of racists and stupid people. This guy seems to be both.

You're not overly fond of the United States constitution, either.

There are no laws against hating people, just how express that hate...

So would you rewrite it - for our Lord Obama;

Congress shall make law respecting the prohibition of religion and regulating the free exercise thereof; speech will be regulated to fit the desires of the ruling body, the press will faithfully report as the rulers say or face prison; the people who assemble to petition the Government for a redress of grievances will be shot in the streets.

Obama akbar.

The 1st amendment doesn't protect speech during commission of a felony any more than the 2nd amendment protects the right to bear arms during the commission of a felony.

You are correct, that theory is wrong.

In fact he was charged with criminal damage to property - which, under Illinois state law,is a felony when the property is a school

No he was not, he was charged with a felony hate crime. Stop trying to change the facts and either address the actual issue or go play with your dolls.

Student who scratched

I am defending a principle, not a bigot. Look it up.

I'm tired of hearing that vandalism is a misdemeanor - not a felony. It can be either, depending on circumstances and location.

Vandalism could be filed as a misdemeanor or a felony depending on the value of damages

Vandalism Charge in Los Angeles | Vandalism Attorney in Los Angeles

It was also a threat. Putting KKK outside the residence of a black person is not speech, it's a threat. The perp might have just as well said they're going to bomb their church while the kids were doing choir practice, since that was also a KKK strategy.

Yea, coz that is such a common occurrence these days. I couldn't blame him for thinking that would happen

:cuckoo:

So you don't think the KKK is no longer a terrorist group?

But he didn't, he wrote “KKK” and a racial slur on a window ledge outside the room of an African-American dorm supervisor. THINK. HARDER.

So then, "vandalism" wasn't the crime - speech was.

So if you walk up behind someone and bust a cap in their brain it's the same as killing someone while drunk driving? What boneheaded ignorance to believe that motive and premeditation aren't factors in what people are charged with.

It isn't a freedom of speech issue.

It would be if we had a constitutional government.

{Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. }

You see Rati, when this was a free nation, governed by the rule of law, the constitution was supreme. The bill of rights was the final word on what could be infringed. No judge could piss on the constitution and put people in prison for writing words he found offensive.

If a crime is not involved it couldn't be prosecuted as a hate crime. In this instance, a crime was involved: vandalism.

The idea that a word can be written, and that word is the greater crime of a vandal is something only a thug would defend.

Back when we had civil rights, this would be unheard of.

The idiot could have yelled "KKK" and "******" to his heart's content.

He would have gone to prison. You would have cited noise ordinances and attached illegal word status.

{"The First Amendment really was designed to protect a debate at the fringes. You don't need the courts to protect speech that everybody agrees with, because that speech will be tolerated. You need a First Amendment to protect speech that people regard as intolerable or outrageous or offensive — because that is when the majority will wield its power to censor or suppress, and we have a First Amendment to prevent the government from doing that.}

Protecting Outrageous, Offensive Speech

You of the left hate liberty and work hard to destroy it.

Student who scratched

I am defending a principle, not a bigot. Look it up.

What principle is that?

The principle that the People of Illinois aren't allowed to pass there own damn laws?

I am not a right winger (nor left winger, for that matter) and ABSOLUTELY hate speech is still part of freedom of speech.

Not when you're carving into someone else's private property. The 1st amendment doesn't protect speech during commission of a felony any more than the 2nd amendment protects the right to bear arms during the commission of a felony.

Wanna bet?
You got nothing.

Another attack on free speech in america. Why wasn't Chris Matthews charged with a felony hate crime when he called white people crackers on national tv?

July 10, 2012 12:48PM

Student who scratched

A former Elmhurst College student who scratched “KKK” and a racial slur on a window ledge outside the room of an African-American dorm supervisor was sentenced Tuesday to two years of probation.

Myles Burton, 21, had faced up to five years in prison after being convicted in May of a felony hate crime for the November 2011 vandalism at the college’s Stanger Hall.

DuPage County Judge George Bakalis also ordered Burton to serve 90 days in jail, though he already had served that sentence while awaiting trial.

Prosecutors argued the Libertyville man had been drinking and was angry at a faculty member when he used a rock to scratch the initials and a slur into the window ledge of the 28-year-old dorm supervisor’s room.

Burton, who is appealing his felony conviction, has been expelled from the college

But it's fine for the Black Panther's to stand outside a polling place with billy clubs on election day intimidating white voters. Gotcha! Just wanted to be clear.

You know....I've never seen SO MANY people so frightened of TWO guys who were eventually asked to leave and did....SO MANY YEARS ago. They really really terrified a whole bunch of you. You can't get it out of your frightened little minds.

It isn't a freedom of speech issue.

It would be if we had a constitutional government.

You see Rati, when this was a free nation, governed by the rule of law, the constitution was supreme. The bill of rights was the final word on what could be infringed. No judge could piss on the constitution and put people in prison for writing words he found offensive.

If a crime is not involved it couldn't be prosecuted as a hate crime. In this instance, a crime was involved: vandalism.

The idea that a word can be written, and that word is the greater crime of a vandal is something only a thug would defend.

Back when we had civil rights, this would be unheard of.

The idiot could have yelled "KKK" and "******" to his heart's content.

He would have gone to prison. You would have cited noise ordinances and attached illegal word status.

{"The First Amendment really was designed to protect a debate at the fringes. You don't need the courts to protect speech that everybody agrees with, because that speech will be tolerated. You need a First Amendment to protect speech that people regard as intolerable or outrageous or offensive — because that is when the majority will wield its power to censor or suppress, and we have a First Amendment to prevent the government from doing that.}

Protecting Outrageous, Offensive Speech

You of the left hate liberty and work hard to destroy it.
My bad, I forgot how stupid you are.

Another attack on free speech in america. Why wasn't Chris Matthews charged with a felony hate crime when he called white people crackers on national tv?

But it's fine for the Black Panther's to stand outside a polling place with billy clubs on election day intimidating white voters. Gotcha! Just wanted to be clear.

You know....I've never seen SO MANY people so frightened of TWO guys who were eventually asked to leave and did....SO MANY YEARS ago. They really really terrified a whole bunch of you. You can't get it out of your frightened little minds.

How disingenuous. The 2 Guys is not what terrifies us. It's a DOJ that excuses their Behavior solely because they are black, that scares the hell out of us.

the pics of dead men, oh, and they are black, got more than a felony. For no crime at all.
Where was their right to free speech?

You know stupid fuck, that North Carolina Democrat state convention you post pictures of, was about a hundred years ago.

Oh, did you know that picture is from the 1919 North Carolina Democrat state convention?

Guess you democraps like the black folk to hang around, don't you?

Here you go ass monkey. This one was taken in 1979, and not a single KKK member was convicted. You're really a fucking idiot.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oxh5-hq6mc]kkk greensboro massacre 1979 - YouTube[/ame]

July 10, 2012 12:48PM

Student who scratched

A former Elmhurst College student who scratched “KKK” and a racial slur on a window ledge outside the room of an African-American dorm supervisor was sentenced Tuesday to two years of probation.

Myles Burton, 21, had faced up to five years in prison after being convicted in May of a felony hate crime for the November 2011 vandalism at the college’s Stanger Hall.

DuPage County Judge George Bakalis also ordered Burton to serve 90 days in jail, though he already had served that sentence while awaiting trial.

Prosecutors argued the Libertyville man had been drinking and was angry at a faculty member when he used a rock to scratch the initials and a slur into the window ledge of the 28-year-old dorm supervisor’s room.

Burton, who is appealing his felony conviction, has been expelled from the college

Um, nice try dude.

Freedom of speech does not give you the right to Vandalize Property, thought I will admit a Felony for simple Vandalism seems a bit of a stretch.

I have a feeling had he scratched anything other than KKK, say Asshole, he would not be charged with a Felony, so Uncensored kinda has a point here, and all the Libs arguing the dude really only got in trouble for Vandalism are not being honest either.

Forum List

Back