Now it's a FELONY to write KKK on a window ledge!!!

Another attack on free speech in america. Why wasn't Chris Matthews charged with a felony hate crime when he called white people crackers on national tv?

July 10, 2012 12:48PM

Student who scratched

A former Elmhurst College student who scratched “KKK” and a racial slur on a window ledge outside the room of an African-American dorm supervisor was sentenced Tuesday to two years of probation.

Myles Burton, 21, had faced up to five years in prison after being convicted in May of a felony hate crime for the November 2011 vandalism at the college’s Stanger Hall.

DuPage County Judge George Bakalis also ordered Burton to serve 90 days in jail, though he already had served that sentence while awaiting trial.

Prosecutors argued the Libertyville man had been drinking and was angry at a faculty member when he used a rock to scratch the initials and a slur into the window ledge of the 28-year-old dorm supervisor’s room.

Burton, who is appealing his felony conviction, has been expelled from the college

This is vandalism not free speech you stupid cock smoker.

Why wasn't he charged with vandalism?

I find it hilarious that the rightwingloons have a cow over what turns out to be basically a slap on the wrist for being an asshole and yet none of them care that a teen in Florida got 162 years in prison for a first offense.

I guess it has something to do with skin color.

Tell you what, make a nice thread about the case in Florida, let me check out what actually happened, convince me that it is as outrageous as you think, and watch me jump all over anyone who supports the sentence. Either that, or shut the frack up because you are actually the one making the judgement based on skin color.

You are a legend in your own mind, PooperDupe...

http://www.usccr.gov/NBPH/USCCR_NBPP_report.pdf

It won't let me copy from a .pdf so you'll have to actually click the link, but here is what is said in the 2nd paragraph...

ETA: This report is quite damning to the DoJ, I encourage everyone to click the link and see for themselves how Holder's DoJ works AGAINST equal justice under the law.

Does the pdf state merely that depositions were taken - which isn't in dispute - or does it back your claim that depositions of voters who claimed they were intimidated were taken? There has to be an actual victim for the crime of voter intimidation to have occurred. The report you gave doesn't say that anyone who voted or was trying to vote at that precint claimed to have been intimidated, does it?

You do realize the the report comes from the Civil Rights Commission, don't you? Did you read all 200+ pages of it? Probably not, but if you look around pages 50-60 you'll find the depositions.

Does the pdf state merely that depositions were taken - which isn't in dispute - or does it back your claim that depositions of voters who claimed they were intimidated were taken?

I find it hilarious that the rightwingloons have a cow over what turns out to be basically a slap on the wrist for being an asshole and yet none of them care that a teen in Florida got 162 years in prison for a first offense.

Tell you what, make a nice thread about the case in Florida, let me check out what actually happened, convince me that it is as outrageous as you think, and watch me jump all over anyone who supports the sentence. Either that, or shut the frack up because you are actually the one making the judgement based on skin color.
There was a thread about it which has been mostly ignored.

btw, your repeated use of the word frack is retarded.

Its a crime to threaten people with bodily harm, moron. The phrase 'KKK, ******' carved on the anything - dorm window, door, arm, car - what the fuck ever - of a black person is a clear threat to any reasonable person. The KKK wasn't a group that went around preaching blacks will burn in hell and disrupting their funerals with offensive displays - they were a group that went around murdering blacks pretty much just for being black. If you can't see the difference you're a complete idiot and its good for you there isn't a group going around murdering people for being stupid. If those funeral protesting idiots had ever made any threats to harm anyone they'd be in prison.

The problem with your theory is that the defendent wasn't charged with threatening anyone.
You are correct, that theory is wrong.

In fact he was charged with criminal damage to property - which, under Illinois state law,is a felony when the property is a school

No he was not, he was charged with a felony hate crime. Stop trying to change the facts and either address the actual issue or go play with your dolls.

Already did, that's why I knew you were a racist asswipe.

:thup:

Someone should probably tell the racist crud that blacks are prosecuted much more frequently and more harshly than white people committing the same illegal acts.

It's pretty pointless, really. Racists believe what they want to believe, all evidence to the contrary.

Tell me something, why hasn't Obama commuted the sentences of all the blacks serving excessive federal time for crack cocaine and marijuana convictions when everyone agrees it is a travesty of justice. I spend more time trying to change the way the criminal justice system does business than you do whinging about it being unfair. You should donate some time to Prison Fellowship sometime, you might get a better understanding of why hate crimes are so absurd.

the pics of dead men, oh, and they are black, got more than a felony. For no crime at all.
Where was their right to free speech?

You know stupid fuck, that North Carolina Democrat state convention you post pictures of, was about a hundred years ago.

Oh, did you know that picture is from the 1919 North Carolina Democrat state convention?

Guess you democraps like the black folk to hang around, don't you?

Fast forward to lbj to learn why the bigots turned republican.

But he didn't, he wrote “KKK” and a racial slur on a window ledge outside the room of an African-American dorm supervisor. THINK. HARDER.

And of course we can all be sure that if a Black student had written 'Black Panthers' on a window, the same punishment would have been levied...:eusa_hand:

How many whites were lynched, beaten burned, shot or stabbed for being white, in the last 300 years?

More than you think.

Lynching Statistics for 1882-1968

Another attack on free speech in america. Why wasn't Chris Matthews charged with a felony hate crime when he called white people crackers on national tv?

Student who scratched

A former Elmhurst College student who scratched “KKK” and a racial slur on a window ledge outside the room of an African-American dorm supervisor was sentenced Tuesday to two years of probation.

Myles Burton, 21, had faced up to five years in prison after being convicted in May of a felony hate crime for the November 2011 vandalism at the college’s Stanger Hall.

DuPage County Judge George Bakalis also ordered Burton to serve 90 days in jail, though he already had served that sentence while awaiting trial.

Prosecutors argued the Libertyville man had been drinking and was angry at a faculty member when he used a rock to scratch the initials and a slur into the window ledge of the 28-year-old dorm supervisor’s room.

Burton, who is appealing his felony conviction, has been expelled from the college

Because of regular church meetings from years ago.

lynching.jpg

Look! They invited some colored folk. Look at Eddie Snicker, he's got a date.

Fucking Democrats.... Sick people I tell you!

The important thing isn't that this guy is punished under the law for committing a crime - but that we use this as an opportunity to moan and whine about how so oppressed we white people are.

I disagree. The important thing is pointing out the lack of equal justice in this country.

RIght, because its the whites that are getting the short end.

AllGov - News - Black Americans Given Longer Sentences than White Americans for Same Crimes

That justifies making it worse because...

So you believe that the KKK is not a terrorist organization, and placing it on the residence of a black man is not offensive? You're fucked in the head.

What I believe about the KKK is irrelevant, what is relevant is that offensive speech is what is protected by the constitution. If it wasn't I could have you arrested for saying I am fucked in the head.

Protecting Outrageous, Offensive Speech

Did the racist scum sucking racist paint KKK on his own house? That ought to be free speech for assholes. This was a terrorist threat.

If it was a threat they would have charged him with making a threat, they didn't.

What is considered to be hate speech, yes.

Have you ever seen this before?

{Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. }

Look, personally I think the douchebag should have been, in the absence of a threat, expelled but not necesssarily convicted of a hate crime. However, the laws governing this sort of act apparently don't allow for this distinction. Though I suppose some might consider the letters "KKK" to be a threat...

Back when we had the constitutional republic, speech was free. Offensive speech was frowned upon, but no one went to jail for saying or writing things the government objected to.

That was then, this is now.

We have no civil rights, just privilege granted by our rulers and based on group identity.

Anyway... All I really know is, I'm not overly fond of racists and stupid people. This guy seems to be both.

You're not overly fond of the United States constitution, either.

There are no laws against hating people, just how express that hate...

So would you rewrite it - for our Lord Obama;

Congress shall make law respecting the prohibition of religion and regulating the free exercise thereof; speech will be regulated to fit the desires of the ruling body, the press will faithfully report as the rulers say or face prison; the people who assemble to petition the Government for a redress of grievances will be shot in the streets.

Obama akbar.

Student who scratched

Vandalizing private property is a crime moron.

But rarely is it a felony especially when some sand paper and a couple drops of paint is all that's needed to fix it.

Shit if everyone whoever scratched their name or some slogan on a table at school got expelled and thrown in prison for 5 years then college enrollment would be way down wouldn't it?

I am not a right winger (nor left winger, for that matter) and ABSOLUTELY hate speech is still part of freedom of speech.

Not when you're carving into someone else's private property. The 1st amendment doesn't protect speech during commission of a felony any more than the 2nd amendment protects the right to bear arms during the commission of a felony.

Wanna bet?

For saying illegal words?

Maybe murder is more serious than outlawed speech?

What is considered to be hate speech, yes.

Have you ever seen this before?

{Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. }

Look, personally I think the douchebag should have been, in the absence of a threat, expelled but not necesssarily convicted of a hate crime. However, the laws governing this sort of act apparently don't allow for this distinction. Though I suppose some might consider the letters "KKK" to be a threat...

Back when we had the constitutional republic, speech was free. Offensive speech was frowned upon, but no one went to jail for saying or writing things the government objected to.

That was then, this is now.

We have no civil rights, just privilege granted by our rulers and based on group identity.

Anyway... All I really know is, I'm not overly fond of racists and stupid people. This guy seems to be both.

You're not overly fond of the United States constitution, either.

There are no laws against hating people, just how express that hate...

So would you rewrite it - for our Lord Obama;

Congress shall make law respecting the prohibition of religion and regulating the free exercise thereof; speech will be regulated to fit the desires of the ruling body, the press will faithfully report as the rulers say or face prison; the people who assemble to petition the Government for a redress of grievances will be shot in the streets.

Obama akbar.

It isn't a freedom of speech issue. If a crime is not involved it couldn't be prosecuted as a hate crime. In this instance, a crime was involved: vandalism.

The idiot could have yelled "KKK" and "******" to his heart's content.

Fast forward to lbj to learn why the bigots turned republican.

Which ones?

Orval Faubus? Nah, he remained a dim.
George Wallace? Nope.
Robert Byrd - grand kleagal of the KKK? Hardly, dims love and revere him.
Bull Connor? Nope - dim till death.

You leftists tell the same stupid lies, over and over.

God, I hope I won't be put in prison for posting words against the party. I might be, though.

Forum List

Back