Now that the table has turned, how will GOPer's react?

GWB was a moron. He had almost no debt when he took office.

I think W was a very bad president so I don't want you to interpret what I say as defending him. However what is your definition of 'almost no debt'? Our national debt was certainly lower back then but over 3 trillion is hardly anything close to almost no debt.

Of course with Trump before COVID we were heading towards trillion dollar deficits. Those tax cuts really kind of fucked us over now, huh?

Those tax cuts really kind of fucked us over now, huh?

Were 2019 tax receipts higher than 2017 (before the tax cuts) tax receipts?

I would hope they were higher in 2019. Would they be higher without the tax cuts?

I would hope they were higher in 2019.

They were higher. So how did the tax cuts fuck us over?

Would they be higher without the tax cuts?

How much higher? Show your work.

Show my work? Cute.

U.S. tax revenue as a proportion of GDP dropped the most out of any country in the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development in 2018, according to a report released Thursday.
That’s largely due to the $1.5 trillion GOP tax cut President Donald Trump signed into law in 2017.
The tax cuts dramatically altered the U.S. tax landscape for the first time in decades by permanently slashing the corporate tax rate from 35% to 21%, temporarily cutting individual tax rates and limiting state and local tax deductions, among other changes.
From 2017 to 2018, the U.S. tax-to-GDP ratio fell from 26.8% to 24.3%, the OECD found, while corporate tax revenues fell by .7% and personal income tax revenues dropped by .5%.
The OECD’s overall tax-to-GDP ratio, meanwhile, remained relatively unchanged between 2017 and 2018, from 34.2% to 34.3%.
Thirty-six countries, including many key U.S. allies and economic partners, make up the Paris-based OECD, which serves as a forum for market-oriented democratic countries to discuss global economic issues and policies.
Ireland, Chile and Mexico ranked below the U.S. for 2018, though preliminary data for Australia and Japan have yet to be released.
Only Hungary and Israel came close to the U.S.′ 2.5% tax-to-GDP ratio drop, at 1.6% and 1.4%, respectively.

while corporate tax revenues fell by .7% and personal income tax revenues dropped by .5%.

1.2% of GDP. So about $240 billion? That's all it takes to "fuck us over"?

Read the article. Income tax revenue fell as proportion to GDP and comparatively to other countries.

Income tax revenue fell as proportion to GDP and comparatively to other countries.

I know. By 2.5%. Just awful!

That's a lot of money and only adds to the national debt. Trump likes to add debt unnecessarily.

I think W was a very bad president so I don't want you to interpret what I say as defending him. However what is your definition of 'almost no debt'? Our national debt was certainly lower back then but over 3 trillion is hardly anything close to almost no debt.

Of course with Trump before COVID we were heading towards trillion dollar deficits. Those tax cuts really kind of fucked us over now, huh?

I would hope they were higher in 2019. Would they be higher without the tax cuts?

Show my work? Cute.

U.S. tax revenue as a proportion of GDP dropped the most out of any country in the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development in 2018, according to a report released Thursday.
That’s largely due to the $1.5 trillion GOP tax cut President Donald Trump signed into law in 2017.
The tax cuts dramatically altered the U.S. tax landscape for the first time in decades by permanently slashing the corporate tax rate from 35% to 21%, temporarily cutting individual tax rates and limiting state and local tax deductions, among other changes.
From 2017 to 2018, the U.S. tax-to-GDP ratio fell from 26.8% to 24.3%, the OECD found, while corporate tax revenues fell by .7% and personal income tax revenues dropped by .5%.
The OECD’s overall tax-to-GDP ratio, meanwhile, remained relatively unchanged between 2017 and 2018, from 34.2% to 34.3%.
Thirty-six countries, including many key U.S. allies and economic partners, make up the Paris-based OECD, which serves as a forum for market-oriented democratic countries to discuss global economic issues and policies.
Ireland, Chile and Mexico ranked below the U.S. for 2018, though preliminary data for Australia and Japan have yet to be released.
Only Hungary and Israel came close to the U.S.′ 2.5% tax-to-GDP ratio drop, at 1.6% and 1.4%, respectively.

while corporate tax revenues fell by .7% and personal income tax revenues dropped by .5%.

Read the article. Income tax revenue fell as proportion to GDP and comparatively to other countries.

Income tax revenue fell as proportion to GDP and comparatively to other countries.

That's a lot of money and only adds to the national debt. Trump likes to add debt unnecessarily.

That's a lot of money

Meh.

and only adds to the national debt.

So does spending.

I always found one of the more maddening, unfounded criticisms of Obama by GOPer's (now POTer's) to be about the debt accumulated during his presidency. It was typically done in such a way as to use the raw numbers to imply Obama was a profligate and reckless spender of tax payer money. What those accusations lacked was context. The context being Obama inherited an economy in free fall. Losing 600K jobs a month, credit markets nearly frozen, a housing market that had crashed, and the impact of the Great Bush Recession being felt around the world. Essentially, he was blamed for a calamity not of his making. Then he was blamed for a stubbornly sluggish recovery to due systemically slow growth (that still persists), the depth of the recession, the enduring effect on the rest of the world, and the Repub's sabotage.

Fast forward to Capt. Clorox's presidency. Before doing so let's stipulate we won't focus on the Grifter-in-Chief's budget busting tax cut that had the country headed for a $1T+ deficit before COVID landed on our shores.

Let's also stipulate we won't discuss President Sunshine's culpability for the severity of COVID's spread in the US and the damage done to the economy as a result.

Instead, let's just focus on this. "The federal budget deficit is projected to be $3.7 trillion."

So......I'm just wondering out loud how Trumpleheads would react if Dems used the $3.7T number, without context as GOPer's did, to make accusations like, "the King of Debt is responsible for smashing the record for the largest budget deficit in a single year by over $2T?"

Doesn't seem fair to you does it? Remember that the next time you make accusations about Obama's deficits.
Deficit Donald HATES being second to anyone. I'm sure he is very happy to have set a deficit record which will probably not be beat by anyone for at least a century.

That's a lot of money

Meh.

So does spending.
So.......Trump in WH, Repubs controlling Congress (when budget was passed) but the deficit is magically not Repub's fault. Great example of Trump Denial Syndrome.

Show my work? Cute.

That's a lot of money

Meh.

So does spending.

Yeah, Trump has done a lot of that too. Anyway, feel free to downplay the Trump tax cuts I've done my part to demonstrate that they cost us money when you said they didn't.

That's a lot of money

Meh.

So does spending.
So.......Trump in WH, Repubs controlling Congress (when budget was passed) but the deficit is magically not Repub's fault. Great example of Trump Denial Syndrome.

So.......Trump in WH, Repubs controlling Congress (when budget was passed) but the deficit is magically not Repub's fault.

Where did I say that? Link?

Show my work? Cute.

That's a lot of money

Meh.

So does spending.

Yeah, Trump has done a lot of that too. Anyway, feel free to downplay the Trump tax cuts I've done my part to demonstrate that they cost us money when you said they didn't.

Yeah, Trump has done a lot of that too.

Not really, despite Dems across the board pushing for budget discipline.

LOL!

I've done my part to demonstrate that they cost us money when you said they didn't.

I never said they didn't "cost us money".

I do dispute your claim that they "fucked us over".

None of you team player assholes give a hoot in hell about spending or the debt....You just make yourselves look like even bigger boobs than you already are (if that's possible) with the finger pointing.
Not at all. That’s the point. Right now democrats aren’t kicking and screaming about the debt or trump spending but when we said Obama was doing a good job and we pointed to low unemployment and the stock market you republicans gave these arguments as to why Obama wasn’t doing a good job.

1. The debt.

2. His yearly growth number. In 2019 trump had only 2.3% growth yet you rave about his economy

3. The monthly job numbers. Trumps numbers are about the same.

And obama didn’t have to give that huge tax break away. Trumps signature accomplishment didn’t work and increased the debt. He said it would pay for itself. You knew that was a lie
None of that addresses the fact that you don't give one single flying fuck until the guy from the other team spends like mad and further balloons the debt.
We don’t care! We’re calling you guys out. When Obama was potus you were fiscally conservatives. And when biden wins you’ll start doing it again.

are democrats in Congress crying about the debt?

This is proof the media isn’t liberal because I don’t hear shit about the debt on tv since trump won.

Blah Blah Blah ORANGE MAN BAD.

Our projections were that on the current course, we would have reduced the debt to zero in three years.

Of course, that didn't take into account the mild corrections that were already happening when Bush took over.

Three years? It took 4 years just to take off about 670 billion. Also you have to account for times when deficit spending is necessary as during recessions. Bush had one at the beginning of his term and well we know what happened in the end. In the meantime we had massive wasteful tax cuts that prevent us from reducing the deficit.

Nevertheless......don't you think we'd love to ONLY be 3 trillion in debt right now ?

And yes....those tax cuts really did do some major damage.

The Bush or Trump tax cuts?

I am not sure why you are telling me this.

My basic premise is:

1. Clinton/Congress had us going in the right direction. You do agree we'd be in heaven if our DEBT was only 3 trillion right now ?
2. Clinton's surpluses had us on track to totally eliminate the debt.
3. Bush/Congress (a very stupid republican congress) spent the shit out of things on wars with little to no value. Big deficits.
In my mind both

I'm just correcting you on the point that we weren't going to eliminate our debt in 3 years. With that said Republican presidents are always responsible for raising deficits whether they are warranted or not. Democrats track record is a little different as Obama raised deficits when needed, they were then going down until the king of debt came into office.
If Nancy and the democrats would have raised taxes when they took the House back in 2018 you might have a point. But they just went along with the irresponsible spending.
So now that they added $trillions in unpaid-for spending due to COVID, who is going to jump up and say:
1. We need to raise the top tax rate
2. We need to add a VAT (value added tax)
3. We need to tax stock and financial transactions
4. We need to add a Remittance Tax on money sent out of the US
5. Add any other reasonable tax, like on gas & oil to pay down some of the Debt and fund SS & Medicare

There are a lot of Democrats who want to do many of those things. They are referred to on this board as Communists.
They used to be called "Fiscal Conservatives" so now you're trying to avoid paying the bills?
So help me God, if the GOP lets SS & Medicare fail there won't be a Republican elected to DC in generations.

Show my work? Cute.

That's a lot of money

Meh.

So does spending.

LOL!

I've done my part to demonstrate that they cost us money when you said they didn't.

Right, have fun.

Show my work? Cute.

That's a lot of money

Meh.

So does spending.

LOL!

Right, have fun.

Keep on whining!

I’m not here to persuade knee-jerk trump haters that you are what you are

I merely comment that you are
Meaning, you suffer from Trump Denial Syndrome.

Normally, I scroll right past your bullshit.

But, this is a clear example of how you work.

You set the standard that you argue against. And you set it specifically for Trump. That way you don't have to apply it universally.

Also, you (a self-righteous, ignorant, arrogant left-winger) decide how everyone should feel about violations to the standard that you set.

You are why the left is in such a shitty place.

Keep up the good work.
I'm glad you were able to get that babbling, obtuse, word salad off your chest. You've reacted to the OP just as I thought Trumpleheads would. Defensively, ineffectually, hypocritically, confounded by the facts with no way to meaningfully refute them. Sad.
And you continue to act as though the debt is really of any concern whatsoever to you.

You're the last asshole on Earth who should be calling anyone a hypocrite.

Sill no one gets it, both party's work to keep their party in power, public opinion sways but not in regards to the money, they think its theirs.

though they won’t say it out loud, GOP lawmakers are acutely aware that they’ll be judged in November if their solutions to the pandemic are perceived as broken or exploited by powerful interests. That’s driving the latest recriminations and urgency to fix what isn’t working

He's not here to spew nasty intellectual honesty.

He's like my aunt. Anything that is not pro trump is FAKE NEWS.

These people are insane like nazis.
You aunt is a wise lady

much of what on the lib media is fake news

How has the table turned? The Obama administration never faced a pandemic that threatened the core of the economic world. Obama spent money because he could. It still isn't clear why Hussein shipped flying boxcar planes loaded with cash to the tune of a billion dollars to a regime that hated America and supported terrorism.

He's not here to spew nasty intellectual honesty.

He's like my aunt. Anything that is not pro trump is FAKE NEWS.

These people are insane like nazis.
You aunt is a wise lady

much of what on the lib media is fake news
I want to call her and play the tape of trump seriously suggesting injecting bleach or shooting light into the body like with gamma rays to kill the virus. What an idiot. And when I play him saying it she'll yell FAKE NEWS.

She's an idiot.

Without an economy will their health improve or decline?
There is no "without".

We have an ailing economy because our HEALTH (as a nation) is at risk.

"Without" applies to neither. Both health and economy will continue to exist but in what state?

Which matters more?

Forum List

Back