🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Now We Know The Truth About Accusing the Right of Being Racists

I'm replying to Jarhead, but the quote function doesn't seem to be working.

I disagree. Belonging to a racist organization while a young man isn't quite the same thing as cold-bloodedly murdering your wife and her friend because of a jealous rage and an obvious anger/entitlement problem.

I think that people can get past bad things they've done in the past...if they are remorseful. Byrd seemed remorseful, obviously OJ did not.

That said, I doubt I would have ever voted for Robert Byrd simply because I could never be sure. But enough black people showed up at his funeral that it seems he made amends.

Quote seems to be working again.
You have a bit of a point I guess...especially the part about never being sure about Byrd.

A lot of blacks showed up for George Wallace too..do you think he was racist?

What about the proof Moon wants?
I'm not interested in looking for it. If he chooses to believe other wise he is welcome to do so.

I disagree. Belonging to a racist organization while a young man isn't quite the same thing as cold-bloodedly murdering your wife and her friend because of a jealous rage and an obvious anger/entitlement problem.

I think that people can get past bad things they've done in the past...if they are remorseful. Byrd seemed remorseful, obviously OJ did not.

That said, I doubt I would have ever voted for Robert Byrd simply because I could never be sure. But enough black people showed up at his funeral that it seems he made amends.

But that is my point.

OJ did not seem remoreseful. But if he did? Do we give him a pass?

Why should anyone not think that Byrd showed remorse for political expediency?

Bear in mind...he was not a kid. He was an adult when he belonged to the KKK.

It is easy to give a pass to someone who shows remorse. But if they have the ability to hate, then they have the ability to fool people as well.

And finally, if a man murders someone (pre-mediated) and he shows great remorse. And he is then offered all kinds of money to help those get over their "murdering" tendencies, was it the money and the fame that prompted him to show remorse?

Sorry, I believe you must suffer the consequences of your actions. I believe Byrd was rewarded for them. He is actually put on a pedestal for OVERCOMING those hateful feelings.

At best, he should have been ignored and allowed to go on his merry way with no fame or fortune.

Byrd didn't do anything illegal, iirc. Simpson did.

There is nothing wrong with being happy that people overcome their own bad nature.

You have a bit of a point I guess...especially the part about never being sure about Byrd.

I'm not interested in looking for it. If he chooses to believe other wise he is welcome to do so.

Okay, then what about your opinion of George Wallace? Do you think he was a racist?

Okay, then what about your opinion of George Wallace? Do you think he was a racist?
I'd have to research it...I know he has that reputation but didn't he also eventually become a better person?

I'd have to research it...I know he has that reputation but didn't he also eventually become a better person?

After he was gunned down, and suffered many years of pain, and got old, he apologized. Does that make what he did any less horrible?

After he was gunned down, and suffered many years of pain, and got old, he apologized. Does that make what he did any less horrible?
Maybe...like I said, I'd have to research it. Was he in your opinion truly remorseful? That counts for something.

What I believe is that you made a couple of bigoted remarks and now you can't back them up. You seemed so sure of your rightness, I figured it would be a simple task for you. Maybe you'd rather retract what you said earlier? Honestly, if you can't back it up, you should retract it, otherwise you like like someone who is either lying or doesn't know what they're talking about.

Maybe...like I said, I'd have to research it. Was he in your opinion truly remorseful? That counts for something.

I honestly can't answer that. It took him 33 years to do it, which meant he pretty much spent his entire life that way. He apologized 2 years before he died.

The right will not be able to force the admin to react to these manufacctured stroies anymore.

This last case will make it impossible for them to FORCE immediate action from the WH.

You guys screwed your pooch of false outrage.

Now people will be required (even you righties) to examine these cases slowly and get all the imfo.

I think this is a sign that the right is desperate to negatively effect the midterms because they know they are not going to be able to claim they have a mandate with the few seats they gain.

You babble too much.

So the right forced immediate action from the WH?

Thats pretty sad. A blogger forced the White House to act without thinking.

Seems to me the White House has a bigger issue. Maybe they should stop reading blogs as fact....you know....LIKE YOU DO!

Foxnews reported and commented on the dishonestly edited tape as fact. You agree then that Foxnews should not be accepted as a credible source of news?

It wasn't edited dimwit, the entire 43 minutes weren't shown........ hell, who wants to watch 43 minutes of that idiot.

I never said there was no racism. You did say ''commonly heard''. I grew up here, and I am saying I didn't commonly hear. And I don't.

And btw..this is 2010.

I say "commonly heard" because I was obviously a Yankee so using the term "darkie" was softer in my presence. You wouldn't be trying to convince us that there aren't still huge numbers of southern whites who use all sorts of slanderous and insulting denigrations toward black people, would you? If so, then I have several websites where you can see for yourself the number of people whose bigotry has been bubbling up and they now have open forums where they can spew their unadulterated hatred for blacks.

You haven't been in the South in 45 or so years, and yet you think you're an expert on present day racial attitudes here, and completely discount the experiences of people that live here now?

I've already alluded to the fact that racial bias in the South is better than it was back then. And where have I "completely discounted" anything? Good grief, you people come here and make blanket inaccurate observations that really piss me off.

I say "commonly heard" because I was obviously a Yankee so using the term "darkie" was softer in my presence. You wouldn't be trying to convince us that there aren't still huge numbers of southern whites who use all sorts of slanderous and insulting denigrations toward black people, would you? If so, then I have several websites where you can see for yourself the number of people whose bigotry has been bubbling up and they now have open forums where they can spew their unadulterated hatred for blacks.

You haven't been in the South in 45 or so years, and yet you think you're an expert on present day racial attitudes here, and completely discount the experiences of people that live here now?

I've already alluded to the fact that racial bias in the South is better than it was back then. And where have I "completely discounted" anything? Good grief, you people come here and make blanket inaccurate observations that really piss me off.
trust me, the racists in the south didn't soften their racism for Yankees
again, i don't broad brush all Southerners as racist the way so many have in this thread
but there are still POCKETS of IGNORANCE all over this country, not just in the south

Then stop trying so hard to make those of us that live here now look wrong when viewed through your 45 year old prism. Here's a refresher for you, since you seem to ignore your own words:
MaggieMae said:
You wouldn't be trying to convince us that there aren't still huge numbers of southern whites who use all sorts of slanderous and insulting denigrations toward black people, would you? If so, then I have several websites where you can see for yourself the number of people whose bigotry has been bubbling up and they now have open forums where they can spew their unadulterated hatred for blacks.

Now tell me you weren't trying to discount what other posters here have said.

People making ignorant, bigoted statements piss me off. I guess we're even.

I honestly can't answer that. It took him 33 years to do it, which meant he pretty much spent his entire life that way. He apologized 2 years before he died.
I just read through his bio on wikipedia and can say that there is no way I would have ever voted for him. I don't know if he was really sorry or not...:confused:

I heard that Robert Byrd used to hang out with a bunch of them as well.

Bada bing.
No, that was the KKK. But Byrd eventually quit them, Lott continued his ties.

The KKK are not White Supremacists?

If you are going to criticize Lott, who stepped down from a position of power, for associating with none racists, then perhaps you should apply the same standard to Obama who has surrounded himself with racists.

...And worse...

I just read through his bio on wikipedia and can say that there is no way I would have ever voted for him. I don't know if he was really sorry or not...:confused:

Then we are on the same page here. :)

Forum List

Back