NRA Wants Mentally Ill To Have Gun Rights

nra-nut-crazy-nut_n.jpg

If you want to know how the NRA feels about mental illness and gun rights ask them. Democrats will lie about it and have exhibited a pattern of manufacturing whatever the need in house.

Seriously, why would the NRA want the mentally ill to have gun rights?

The NRA wants folks who've been labelled mentally ill, or who might have the same name as someone who's been labelled mentally ill, to have a readily-available lawful means for them to appeal their case...

if you've ever, through no fault of your own, been placed on a no-fly list, you would understand the reason for this concern...

Well said

Senator Catches NRA Head In Epic Flip Flop

By Igor Volsky and Annie-Rose Strasser

Senate Judiciary Chairman Patrick Leahy (D-VT) caught National Rifle Association Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre in a significant contradiction during Wednesday’s hearing on preventing gun violence. Since the shooting in Newtown, Connecticut the nation’s most influential gun lobby has opposed the growing bipartisan push for universal background checks, arguing that such a policy would infringe on the Second Amendment rights of law abiding Americans. But as Leahy pointed out, the group has supported the reasonable background checks in the past.

Under current law, gun purchasers buying firearms from federally licensed dealers are subject to background checks. As a result, more than 2 million applicants have been prohibited from purchasing guns. Unfortunately, 40 percent of firearm acquisitions are from individuals who are not licensed gun dealers and do not undergo any background checks. Gun safety advocates have sought to close the loophole for years and in the 1999, the NRA backed this effort.

More: Senator Catches NRA Head In Epic Flip Flop | ThinkProgress

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XH1dVMtKTNI]Leahy and LaPierre - YouTube[/ame]

Hey, lets just lump all mentally ill together, and take away all their rights!

People who are so "mentally ill" that they could at any time pick up a gun and go on a rampage should be locked up in an asylum. Then they wouldn't be able to hurt anyone with any type of weapon.

Thats the way it used to be and we never saw these stupid shootings happen. But now we just put these people on medication and let them roam free.

Why would any sane person oppose universal background checks. I don't get it...

Because a free citizen shouldn't have to be "checked" in order to exercise a God given, and Constitutionally protected right. Anyone who can't pass a background check and is deemed too dangerous to own a gun, should be locked up. Why are violent criminals and mentally derranged people allowed to be free in the first place? Oh yea because liberals don't want them locked up.

Why would any sane person oppose universal background checks. I don't get it...

Why would any sane person insist the government be involved in everything someone does?

Why would any sane person believe getting a background check is everything someone does?

You want background checks if a person buys a gun as a gift for a family member.

You want background checks when someone dies and leaves their guns to family members.

How is this not the government being involved in everything?

After the massacre at Virginia Tech in 2007, Congress did manage to pass a modest measure that was designed to provide money to states to improve the federal background check system. But the N.R.A. secured a broad concession in the legislation, which pushed states to allow people with histories of mental illness to petition to have their gun rights restored.

More: Silent Since Shootings, N.R.A. Could Face Challenge to Political Power - The New York Times

As a condition of its support for the measure, the National Rifle Association extracted a concession: the inclusion of a mechanism for restoring firearms rights to those who lost them for mental health reasons.

More: Some With Histories of Mental Illness Petition to Get Their Gun Rights Back - The New York Times

Oh, my, god.... DUE PROCESS!!!!

IF you had read both links in the OP - you would have noticed that the so-called "due process" is oftentimes a SHAM regarding judges reinstating a petitioner's gun rights based on nothing more than taking the petitioner's word.

After the massacre at Virginia Tech in 2007, Congress did manage to pass a modest measure that was designed to provide money to states to improve the federal background check system. But the N.R.A. secured a broad concession in the legislation, which pushed states to allow people with histories of mental illness to petition to have their gun rights restored.

More: Silent Since Shootings, N.R.A. Could Face Challenge to Political Power - The New York Times

As a condition of its support for the measure, the National Rifle Association extracted a concession: the inclusion of a mechanism for restoring firearms rights to those who lost them for mental health reasons.

More: Some With Histories of Mental Illness Petition to Get Their Gun Rights Back - The New York Times

Loco, no one wants you to have a firearm...

We should just lock the mentally ill up and give them lobotomies.... Oh wait...

Seriously, do you want the mentally ill to have gun rights? I don't, unless it is determined by competent mental health professionals that they are no longer mentally ill. Of course there are various types and severity of mental illness, but I leave that to the expertise of mental health professionals and judges. However, I do recognize that anyone who petitions to have their gun rights restored rather than trying to obtain guns illegally shows some degree of responsible behavior.

I just now came into this thread...

I have no desire to read through the whole thing,

but I imagine your dumbshit proposition that the NRA wants mentally ill people to have guns, simply because the NRA supports a method whereby folks who've been labelled mentally ill have an avenue available to them to appeal such a verdict, has been shot down by now...

eta... honestly, Lokhota... do you really wanna become a blithering shit-for-brains Lilollady clone...? I know you're better'n that...

Last edited:

Forum List

Back