Nuclear Power Largest Increase In Electricity Production

Then you've convinced yourself without even having to ask the world's experts.

None of the WTC buildings would have been harmed either if it wasn't for the CIA and the Martians.
I do not need to consult any expert to know the safety of the USA's nuclear power plant. I can look at our long history with nuclear power and zero design related accidents.

Further, the accidents that did happen, because of the operators, resulted in zero deaths and no harmful release of radiation.

I do not need to consult any expert to know the safety of the USA's nuclear power plant. I can look at our long history with nuclear power and zero design related accidents.

Further, the accidents that did happen, because of the operators, resulted in zero deaths and no harmful release of radiation.
You said:
our long history with nuclear power and zero design related accidents. Further, the accidents that did happen, ...............

You said:
Yes, I said, operator accidents vs design related accidents. That may not be easy for a person with no technical knowledge to understand and certainly did make it perfectly clear.

Since than the design has been changed so that an operator error will result in a passive shutdown, meaning the operators can not prevent a nuclear power plant from shutting down regardless of what cause the plant to trip.

Our designs have not failed. Most people can not even name the accidents that did happen let alone why. Can you name the accidents without a google search?

There were 3, the first was the first commercial reactor, a Westinghouse design. Just outside of Pittsburgh. I have worked on the site, 40 feet from the reactor. All operator error. Playing games, experimenting with the reactor.

The second was just outside of Detroit, I think that was a beer can caught in a valve, GE or Fukishima design

The third was a Babcox and Wilcox Three mile island, I have been on that site as well.

All three were operator/worker fuck ups, all new designs incorporated passive safety systems to prevent these and any other kind of accident.

I worked for Westinghouse while this plant was being built. It was a horrible project (from a construction cost standpoint) because it was one of the first AP1000's built, and it had hundreds of changes in the field, where they are most expensive.

But the reactor is super-safe. Unlike Fukushima, the AP1000 heats pressurized water which in turn heats a second loop of water to steam, which powers the turbine generators. The reactor water never boils.

Since the advent of commercial nuclear power in the early 50's, not a single American plant worker (or Navy Nuclear sailor) has been seriously harmed or killed by exposure to radiation. How's that for a safety record?

Nuclear power, is the largest new increase in electricity production in the USA and Worldwide.

China is operating 4 Westinghouse AP1000's
China is building 4 more Westinghouse AP1000's designated CP1000, using the design of the AP1000 licensed to China in a technology transfer.
China has just authorized the building of 2 more AP1000/CP1000's.

That is 5 AP1000's operational, 5 under construction, 2 more authorized.

A proven, safe technology. Obviously economical if one gets out from under the political burden placed on Nuclear Power in the USA

I worked for Westinghouse while this plant was being built. It was a horrible project (from a construction cost standpoint) because it was one of the first AP1000's built, and it had hundreds of changes in the field, where they are most expensive.

But the reactor is super-safe. Unlike Fukushima, the AP1000 heats pressurized water which in turn heats a second loop of water to steam, which powers the turbine generators. The reactor water never boils.

Since the advent of commercial nuclear power in the early 50's, not a single American plant worker (or Navy Nuclear sailor) has been seriously harmed or killed by exposure to radiation. How's that for a safety record?
what kind of work did you do, where? I have worked for westinghouse as well, at Waltz Mill in Pennsylvania

Doesn't look like Americans have much stomach to take on the pros and cons of this one?

I'm going to risk saying that most are still feeling some uncertainty.

As a Canadian I don't have a dog in this fight, but I'm happy to be a referee and keep it on topic.
The electric bills will chase the uncertainty away.

Did you work in the Nuclear Division?? QA? I have worked for Westinghouse QA, for nuclear power plants they have had contracts for.

That’s not entirely true. SL-1 killed three people, including a Navy Sailor.

Now granted SL-1 was a bad design. It should have been shut down years before when it was obvious the thing didn’t work. But inertia is a bitch to overcome.

That’s not entirely true. SL-1 killed three people, including a Navy Sailor.

Now granted SL-1 was a bad design. It should have been shut down years before when it was obvious the thing didn’t work. But inertia is a bitch to overcome.
It is entirely true. Read what was stated.
SL-1 in not a commercial power plant.

It is entirely true. Read what was stated.

SL-1 in not a commercial power plant.

And the Navy doesn’t operate Commercial nuclear power plants. I did not include anyone who died from Radiation exposure at any of the enrichment plants. I skipped the whole Demon Core thing. I am one of those who believes that Nuclear Power is both safe, and effective. However, it is safe and effective because we are constantly applying the lessons learned. And like my own field in the Military, those lessons are written in blood.

Those lessons include the SL-1 accident. We learned a lot since then. We learned a lot by those deaths.

Look at my history. I’ve written several times about the Nuclear Power plant in Georgia. Always approvingly. Always in support. I’ve explained that Fukushima should not be used to scare people today. The disaster that struck there was so far outside of anything we could expect that it was unthinkable. Until it happened. We will learn, and apply that knowledge to the next generation.

It is what we do. We learn, we get better, and we move forward.

And the Navy doesn’t operate Commercial nuclear power plants. I did not include anyone who died from Radiation exposure at any of the enrichment plants. I skipped the whole Demon Core thing. I am one of those who believes that Nuclear Power is both safe, and effective. However, it is safe and effective because we are constantly applying the lessons learned. And like my own field in the Military, those lessons are written in blood.

Those lessons include the SL-1 accident. We learned a lot since then. We learned a lot by those deaths.

Look at my history. I’ve written several times about the Nuclear Power plant in Georgia. Always approvingly. Always in support. I’ve explained that Fukushima should not be used to scare people today. The disaster that struck there was so far outside of anything we could expect that it was unthinkable. Until it happened. We will learn, and apply that knowledge to the next generation.

It is what we do. We learn, we get better, and we move forward.
you took that all wrong, I just pointed out the statement was correct, no commercial reactors resulted in a death

I was not criticizing anything else

you took that all wrong, I just pointed out the statement was correct, no commercial reactors resulted in a death

I was not criticizing anything else

The total deaths from the American Nuclear program not counting the cities where bombs were dropped is very low. Frankly it is safer to work in the Nuclear Industry than it is to be a commercial fisherman.

Considering how ignorant we were and how risky our early experiments were it is incredible that more deaths didn’t occur.

The total deaths from the American Nuclear program not counting the cities where bombs were dropped is very low. Frankly it is safer to work in the Nuclear Industry than it is to be a commercial fisherman.

Considering how ignorant we were and how risky our early experiments were it is incredible that more deaths didn’t occur.
I worked in Nuclear Power Plants my entire life. Mostly PWRs

Forum List

Back