NYC turning back to 70s crime

I'm sorry to hear it. Went down for a daytrip in the mid-80's; it was still pretty rough around the edges, but they made a LOT of inroads, cleaned it up a lot, made it a lot safer since then, they say.

It's sad it's experiencing this along with the Covid slam they took. NYC is the most frequent destination for foreign visitors in the US. It's got a lot going for it--Broadway, the Statue of Liberty, Tiffany's. A zillion things. Personally, I didn't like it. Too much everything, and it stunk, literally. I never saw such filthy water as New York Harbor. But it's a cultural mecca; you gotta give it that.

The foreign tourist dont know any better.
They're told it's some great American destination by New Yorks travel bureau.
Went there when I was 14 and while it was kinda cool seeing a city that lived like they do I would never want that for myself.
No room to breath.
New York is a town where certain times seem to be better then others. The 1970's were not that good to it as an example. Living in Manhattan would be cool if you could afford it. From Christmas to Thanksgiving to Spring and Summer. With the entertainment and the stores and the restaurunts and the vibrancy of the people. To crowded is the way it is in reality. With to much government money invovled and taxes higher then should be afforded with many people getting government handouts and help in many ways.

Shootings up 90 percent
Murder up 45 percent

Only safe zone is Italian Staten Island !!

Jews are facing near Daily pogroms

Very fun to watch such a crooked and sinister city just implode !!

Do you have a source for those statistics?
Sadly, it's been reported for weeks.

I thought there might be some new info, or something comparing the statistics to those in the 70s, but no. Incidently, there were a number of firearms law changes in NY during 2019, that could also have an affect:

I couldn't make heads nor tails of that article. Although it mentions something about allowing NYC residents to take their firearms outside the city, I couldn't figure out if it went through or not. And I don't know that that would cause such a rise in violence.

There have been some significant changes in policing and we know the Covid quarantines have led to a rise in domestic disputes -- I personally know two people who split up with their partners of years before May was out. But if it's happening in relationships, we know it's happening to all members of the family. None of us are immune to that stress. It put a lot of people out of work and some of those gun battles may be over stealing or dealing. NYC had it tougher than anywhere else, for months, with the quarantines and lockdowns. So maybe that's a factor too.

Mayor DeBlasio said they are NOT going back to the bad old days. Says he plans to get to the bottom of it with some community intervention programs instead of that unit that did all the stopping and frisking. That will take quite a bit of time, though. I would have kept what was working (that unit), made modifications if necessary, and done the community intervention programs at the same time. Why do people seem to feel it has to be one or the other?

I admit I'm no expert on NYC law enforcement. I probably don't have a great grasp on all the nuances. But if strict policing works and makes the city safer, maybe it's what's necessary, at least for now, because you don't change people's hearts, minds and behavior in a week with community intervention programs.

billy joe stalin di blasio's answer to everything is BREAD AND CIRCUSES

Shootings up 90 percent
Murder up 45 percent

NOT much fun for the people living there. What the fuck is up with this trend of Americans wanting to abandon each other to die violently in democrat run shitholes. That's not what being American is about. Did we abandon our soldiers every time the Germans or Japanese encircled them during WWII battles? Enough with the whole "too bad, they voted for their own violent deaths" bullshit. We're Americans. We leave no fellow American behind.

This situation is a bit different.
We warned dems about about the consequences of voting for these people.
While during war time we all new the who was the bad guy.
It's not like there was some surprise attack on liberal cities and they didnt see it coming.
While it sucks that it's happening I dont have a lot of sympathy for em. Now if the voters banned together and said help us with this lawlessness I might find somewhere in my heart for a little sympathy.
If they dont want to get rid of the problem what are we supposed to do? Go in despite their wishes?
We already know how that works.

Shootings up 90 percent
Murder up 45 percent

I thought there might be some new info, or something comparing the statistics to those in the 70s, but no. Incidently, there were a number of firearms law changes in NY during 2019, that could also have an affect:

I couldn't make heads nor tails of that article. Although it mentions something about allowing NYC residents to take their firearms outside the city, I couldn't figure out if it went through or not. And I don't know that that would cause such a rise in violence.

There have been some significant changes in policing and we know the Covid quarantines have led to a rise in domestic disputes -- I personally know two people who split up with their partners of years before May was out. But if it's happening in relationships, we know it's happening to all members of the family. None of us are immune to that stress. It put a lot of people out of work and some of those gun battles may be over stealing or dealing. NYC had it tougher than anywhere else, for months, with the quarantines and lockdowns. So maybe that's a factor too.

Mayor DeBlasio said they are NOT going back to the bad old days. Says he plans to get to the bottom of it with some community intervention programs instead of that unit that did all the stopping and frisking. That will take quite a bit of time, though. I would have kept what was working (that unit), made modifications if necessary, and done the community intervention programs at the same time. Why do people seem to feel it has to be one or the other?

I admit I'm no expert on NYC law enforcement. I probably don't have a great grasp on all the nuances. But if strict policing works and makes the city safer, maybe it's what's necessary, at least for now, because you don't change people's hearts, minds and behavior in a week with community intervention programs.

I'm not an expert either. I just recall that there was a SCOTUS case involving concealed carry, and that lawmakers made various changes in order to try and render the case moot. Not saying it is necessarily the cause. But also changes to policing are not necessarily to blame. A bit more examination is needed before declaring that it's anarchy now.

Also the 1970's had a much higher murder rate
1593391505729.png

I'm sorry to hear it. Went down for a daytrip in the mid-80's; it was still pretty rough around the edges, but they made a LOT of inroads, cleaned it up a lot, made it a lot safer since then, they say.

It's sad it's experiencing this along with the Covid slam they took. NYC is the most frequent destination for foreign visitors in the US. It's got a lot going for it--Broadway, the Statue of Liberty, Tiffany's. A zillion things. Personally, I didn't like it. Too much everything, and it stunk, literally. I never saw such filthy water as New York Harbor. But it's a cultural mecca; you gotta give it that.

Went there when I was 14 and while it was kinda cool seeing a city that lived like they do I would never want that for myself.
No room to breath.
New York is a town where certain times seem to be better then others. The 1970's were not that good to it as an example. Living in Manhattan would be cool if you could afford it. From Christmas to Thanksgiving to Spring and Summer. With the entertainment and the stores and the restaurunts and the vibrancy of the people. To crowded is the way it is in reality. With to much government money invovled and taxes higher then should be afforded with many people getting government handouts and help in many ways.

This was in 80.
Never saw any crime but we were staying on 5th Avenue and I was obviously to young for the parents to let me roam a potentially dangerous city at night.

Give the rotten worm apple a few more years and it will be 1976 , NYC lol

Shootings up 90 percent
Murder up 45 percent

I'm not an expert either. I just recall that there was a SCOTUS case involving concealed carry, and that lawmakers made various changes in order to try and render the case moot. Not saying it is necessarily the cause. But also changes to policing are not necessarily to blame. A bit more examination is needed before declaring that it's anarchy now.

Also the 1970's had a much higher murder rate
View attachment 356540
I agree, there is no doubt more than one factor at work. It makes sense, though, that changes in policing policy, especially if it is headed toward easing up, would play a role, too.

I realize the OP is invested in a "law and order" approach but there is some sense in it; just not when it is the only approach being considered or used.

if its a cultural mecca it proves multi culturalism doesnt work,,,

No room to breath.

This was in 80.
Never saw any crime but we were staying on 5th Avenue and I was obviously to young for the parents to let me roam a potentially dangerous city at night.
I remember lots of things about my trip; I won't bore you with all of them. We ate our bag lunches in Battery Park and every single garbage can was covered by someone's board with some cheap pieces of jewelry some guy was trying to push, or a homeless guy monitoring the garbage for something to eat. A lot of homeless men were sleeping under trees. Riding through Manhattan, the tour guide pointed out Jackie O's apartment building. There was an ornate water fountain in front of it and there in the fountain sat a homeless guy (clothed) taking a bath. Then going through Harlem, every time we stopped for a red light, there were men running up to cars and washing their windshields (without being asked) hoping for "tips." There was block after block after block of buildings with their windows and doors bricked up with concrete blocks. With all those homeless people, it seemed like such a crying shame. There were long lines for everything, even a water fountain was no quick trip. New York Harbor was unbelievably filthy--the water was brown, covered with oil slick and all kinds of garbage was floating in it. The whole city smelled faintly of sewer (it was 90-something and humid). I kept a grip on my purse the whole time, felt as if some weight was bearing down on me, crushing me. I made several visits to Boston around that time, too, and I gotta tell ya, it was totally different. NYC is a place of its own, unique. I'm glad I went there, but I don't feel any great need to go back. Would like to see the 9/11 memorial, Central Park and eat a steak at Peter Luger's. But I guess I can live without it.

DiBlasio is personally responsible for eradicating decades of steady of improvement in NYC. He will turn it back into the "Bronx is Burning" NYC. Disgusting.

The people of NY voted for it however, by like 38 points or so. They must have a lot of nostalgia for the "old school"

Forum List

Back